How many of us were old enough to appreciate 66?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Like you Rickabee I was in the Melboune Members Stand, sitting 4 rows from the front of what was called "The Ladies Members Stand". That was also the stand where the cricketers change rooms were. An old boss of mine was a member and he had 2 "Ladies Tickets", so I was very lucky I came by my tickets easy.

Underneath that stand was the infamous "Snake Pit" Bar......but I didn't imbibe until after we had won. All I could do was cry with relief when we won.

Wow and then it was party time. :lol: Celebrated later at Seirra's pub and also down at Tommy Bent's statue. Somehow through the evening my girlfriend and I ended up partying with Jack Irving - the umpire and Tom Someone???? who was the umpire's advisor. Roughnut Irving drove me to my flat early in the evening about 11pm...told my flatmate to put me to bed as I was vey tiddly and he was worried that someone could take advanage of me....what a lovely gentleman eh? I was 22years old then :P

Went to bed, woke up later, climbed out the window (my flatmate was a real wowser and wouldnt have let me go out) and got myself into work, to celebate with work colleagues on night shift.

Those days I worked at D24...so I danced around on the radio control for ages, egged on by about 30 coppers. The senior sergeant in charge that night was Jack Meehan an ex St.Kilda player. He is the one being king hit on the front of Captain Blood's (Jack Dyer) book. Someone kept giving Jack & I cheap plonk...boy could we dance....... to only one song...yep you've guessed it "Oh When the Saints......"

A Wireless Patrol car crew eventually took me home around 3am next morning. My flatmate was very surprised when she opened up the door to find police delivering me to the doorstep in a more than tiddly state....she thought I was tucked up in bed.

The hangover wasn't very nice though......swore off the alcohol for about 1 month :wink:

Do it for me one more time Saints pleeeeeeaaase :P

Beej
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:Posted a bit of this before, but its worth repeating for those who think they are long suffering Sainters...

I was 21 in Oct 66 and went to the game with my Dad who was 58 and had been following them all his life, after growing up in Prahran where my Pa had a grocery shop not far from the old Junction Oval
I didn't give us much of a show at 3/4 time with a lead of only 13 points and the Pies had the advantage of a seemingly increasing wind in the last
They always hail Breeny for kicking that wobbly winning point , but Bobby Murray our great Fullback was the real hero, who, with seconds remaining, he took the match-saving mark to repel the Pies who were streaming down the centre of the ground and about to seal it!
Well when the siren went pandemonium broke loose, because apart from the disillusioned Pie fans EVERYONE else at the G was barracking for us! They still regard it as the most emotional GF ever , and you could really feel it! I'll remember it till my dying day
My Dad turned and gave me the biggest hug and nearly busted a couple of ribs , and it was then I noticed he was actually crying. Tears were flowing freely from his eyes and rolling down both cheeks. I was shocked as I’d never ever seen the tough old Digger cry before, (or ever again, and he passed away at 85 years of age !
I said Dad your crying and he said "yeah Son, I was just wishing that MY Dad had lived to see this day"!
……..and my Pa died at age 94 after following them from day 1, never ever seeing them win a flag!
Pa 0 flags, Dad 1 and Me ….well its gotta be 2 at least surely! third time lucky as I saw the Hawks and Crows games too

(Postscript Bob Murray, a fellow retired teacher, great bloke, and good mate, lives up the bush not far from me at Tarrawingee…. He coaches Wangaratta Rovers Magoos in the O&M)
Must say I love reading these stories, especially that one.

Very touching and also very sad. :(

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 3:59am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

awesome thread. Amazing how many of us are long time Sainters just waiting for the big one.
I was five at the time of the '66 GF. My dad, who played for the Saints in the 30's, my brother and me listened to the game in our garage in East Bentleigh. Mum was in the kitchen cooking the whole time and when we won my Dad went tearing up the path into the house and just about snapped in her two he hugged her so hard. Then he went back down to the shed.
I didn't really understand it at the time, but it was the only time I ever saw my Dad cry. He was just standing there in the garage wearing his scarf and beanie that my Mum knitted with tears streaming down his face.
Hoping and praying for the boys to do it this year.

St.Carl
Club Player

1966 - I was 11. Much of 65 & 66 is a faded memory but there are a number of things that stand out.

We lived in Murrumbeena. My father took me along to St Kilda games. I think that the move to Moorabbin meant that we started to go to more games - I only have vague memories of Junction Oval. 65 was the first time I was a member. I remember standing in the outer at Moorabbin and looking up at the new stands (was the stand extended for 66?).

I am pretty sure that we went some of 65 finals but if I was at the GF I managed to erase that from my memory!

66 was a big year. As a youngster I used to ride my bike around the neighbourhood and was not too worried about being gone for hours exploring. Around finals times the papers were always full of the stories of fans queuing for days for tickets. But we were members (my dad & I). It must have been the school holidays. I headed off on my bike from Murrumbeena to Moorabbin (I studied the map before I left!) armed with our membership tickets. There was a queue at Linton Street but it was not that long. I can’t figure out (now) how it worked but I came away with series tickets for the finals! So as an 11 year old I rode my bike back home with the holy grail – finals tickets!

Our GF tickets were standing room in the “Outerâ€

St Carl
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I was 26. Had followed the Saints all my life, my father had been born in St.Kilda, was a member of the Cricket Club, and we used to go to all the Footy (and cricket matches) at the Junction oval. I was present at all St.Kildas Grand Final appearances barring the 97 one when I could'nt get out of work. I went to the 66 match with a good mate of mine, a Hawk supporter. I remember just standing there at the end of the game, too emotional to speak. It was a great feeling. Lets hope I get to feel it again.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

In 1966 I wasn't even born, not for another 4 years (1970)....so I think it's something special for those of us that have jumped onboard knowing it's been such a long time for such a success starved club.

I've followed the Saints from the 97 GF. I had no idea of the clubs history or too many of its players at the time, as I'm a born and bred Queenlander (Townsville), and brought up in a Rugby league only environment. As anyone who lives up here would understand, we never recieved much AFL coverage, if any!

But since moving to Melb and witnessing the 97 GF, I have seen virtually every player come and go, bar Maxie and Harvs. Since the 97 GF I have come to love this club, the characters, the colour, the struggle, the passion and all the heartache and joy it brings like family! It's become a way of life for me. I yearn for the football season every season. I can't help but attend the games and pour my soul into willing this club on. Lucky are those fortunate enough to have seen the 66 GF. I can only dream of how that must have felt.

If our boys do something truly amazing this season. I'll be sobbing like a baby (with every other red, white & black blood supporter out there!!) This club deserves so much for the many legends who have come before it, and I think we can deliver! I honestly pray we can deliver! 12 points up, the dying minutes of the 2008 Grand Final and knowing we've got it! Magic! Truly magic!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
GrumpyOne

loris wrote: Wow and then it was party time. :lol:
Oh Loris.

Wonderful story.

I wish we had met way back then..... I think you would have definately taught an innocent 14yo a few things somehow :wink:

Best thread ever on SS :D

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:I was 12. My first St Kilda game, after emigrating in 1965.

Like the Jiggster I was still celebrating Everton's first FA Cup win in 33 years, and England's World Cup win.

I was standing behind the goal at the city end. Thought it was really weird when everyone sat down on the terracing during the breaks.

Don't remember a great deal about the game, though. A bit too new to the game itself to really appreciate it. Imagine never having seen American football before that season and suddenly finding yourself at the Superbowl watching the team that you had decided follow. It was a bit like that. Wish now I'd known more about it.

And I kept hearing about this guy Ditterich who wasn't playing!
Your first ever St Kilda game was the 66 Grand Final?! FFS!

Such an introduction but sadly it was never going to get any better than that. :lol:

8bloggs
Club Player

Had a membership but didn't get to see the Big One

I was ten years old and it was the second year of being a fan. I had to go up to the country with my parents on the Grand Final day, and didn't find out until the Monday after that we had won! I found my '66 membership card in a box of stuff recently and boy did it bring back memories. Bob Murray was one of my heroes then, and of course the Doc. Agree with an earlier poster that Ian Synman was an underrated player, he always seemed to be repelling the opposition attacks....

Scoop
Club Player

I was 14 in '66 and I was actually right behind the point post, just behind the fence, when Barry Breen's kick went through.

At the time, I remember that it seemed like the ball had frozen in mid-air....it seemed to take an eternity to actually go through for the point. When it did, the crowd went berserk. With seconds to go, Des Tuddenham got the ball and could have run a lot further than he did, but just kicked it and then Bob Murray took the match-saving mark.

Unbelievable memories. Just wish I was a bit older at the time so that I could have celebrated in style (ie get p***ed!), but then maybe my memory of the event may not be so good!!

Was there with my father, who had been a life-long Saints man, and who converted me from a Geelong supporter (Mum's team) to a Sainter in the late '50s. Like some of the other posters' fathers, I think there may have been a bit of facial moisture there as well on that day.

Where I was standing, there was a female magpie supporter, sitting right on the fence (from memory the MCG used to have a bench seat, similar to that at Moorabbin, around the fence) with a huge hat, festooned with black and white streamers, who was giving us a bit of stick during the game. At the end, I tried to knock it off her head, but git caught up in the sea of saints supporters, who were all hugging and dancing and couldn't quite reach it. :wink: If you look closely at the replay, you can see that supporter and a young Scoop lurking in the background!! :lol:

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Superboot
SS Life Member

OLB wrote:
Superboot wrote:I was 12. My first St Kilda game, after emigrating in 1965.

Like the Jiggster I was still celebrating Everton's first FA Cup win in 33 years, and England's World Cup win.

I was standing behind the goal at the city end. Thought it was really weird when everyone sat down on the terracing during the breaks.

Don't remember a great deal about the game, though. A bit too new to the game itself to really appreciate it. Imagine never having seen American football before that season and suddenly finding yourself at the Superbowl watching the team that you had decided follow. It was a bit like that. Wish now I'd known more about it.

And I kept hearing about this guy Ditterich who wasn't playing!
Your first ever St Kilda game was the 66 Grand Final?! FFS!

Such an introduction but sadly it was never going to get any better than that. :lol:
Not better than that, but we've had our moments.

'71 was very close indeed.

And look at all the great players I've been able to watch.

Can you imagine barracking for a club that never had Robert Harvey?

Marching In

Unforgettable 66

I was 11. We were at home in Caulfield with the radio on and everyone in the family sitting around and then standing up and then walking and pacing and then sitting again, before jumping up again in anguish and pacing again. My younger brother was 8 at the time and he was crouched under the table unable to look at anyone. It was so tight we were all tearing our hair out.
We were a born-into-Sainthood family and the results meant the world to us all, though dad was officially an original Fitzroy supporter, he had been basically converted (or overwhelmed) and was fully into it. Mum was a passionate life-long supporter, having been a St Kilda resident for many years. She considered Verdun Howell the ultimate" gentleman of her dreams". The only time we ever heard her swear was when he got savagely slammed behind play one day at Moorabbin. My brother and I had our own floggers and jumpers and just lived for the saints.

The tension was unbearable that Saturday afternoon and by the 25 minute mark in the final quarter I couldn't stand it any more and I ran out into the backyard and lay on my stomach and buried my face in the grass. I was so churned up I nearly vomited. I remember actually praying and making those ridiculous promises to God you make when you are desperate for a miracle. When the blessed saving mark was made by Murray, the family roared inside, and I shut my eyes and virtually held my breath. I was just breathing grass and urging "Siren ..siren... siren ...siren siren."
And then it went !!!!!!! and it kept on going and going !!!!! And my parents and sisters and brother blew the top of the house off with joy!
And I'll remember the sweet smell of that grass forever.

We hugged and cried and laughed and madly dashed out into the street and all the neighbours came out and we sang When The Saints Go Marching In at the top of our lungs in a mad circle. It was pure bliss and pure joy. Mum and Dad had a few shandies and some old friends came over to share the moment. We were glued to the TV and I remember staying up late watching for news flashes from the St Kilda Town Hall (I think) where there were scenes of the players like Baldock dancing with their wives and other wild hilarity from the fans. I remember the Tommy Bent statue being dressed up, and the replay over and over again of the last parts of the game.

Mum stayed a true sainter right to the end of her long life. She was one of the oldest attendees in the crowd in 1997 and was quite frail.Those crows robbed her of a final joy that terrible day, but she always held onto the hope of another 66. Even in 2006 in the nursing home when she was as fragile as a little bird in her final illness, she kept a little St Kilda teddy on her shelf. In craft therapy class, the residents were asked to cut out a picture from a magazine or from the pile of newspapers and paste it on a placemat -that they got laminated for each resident. Mostly the old ladies made floral patterns, roses and violets and other pretty things.
Mum painstakingly cut out a picture of Robert Harvey, though with her difficulties, she managed to cut off most of the back of his head . Still, it was Harvs, and he then shared her dinners till the end.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Unforgettable 66

Marching In wrote:I was 11. We were at home in Caulfield with the radio on and everyone in the family sitting around and then standing up and then walking and pacing and then sitting again, before jumping up again in anguish and pacing again. My younger brother was 8 at the time and he was crouched under the table unable to look at anyone. It was so tight we were all tearing our hair out.
We were a born-into-Sainthood family and the results meant the world to us all, though dad was officially an original Fitzroy supporter, he had been basically converted (or overwhelmed) and was fully into it. Mum was a passionate life-long supporter, having been a St Kilda resident for many years. She considered Verdun Howell the ultimate" gentleman of her dreams". The only time we ever heard her swear was when he got savagely slammed behind play one day at Moorabbin. My brother and I had our own floggers and jumpers and just lived for the saints.

The tension was unbearable that Saturday afternoon and by the 25 minute mark in the final quarter I couldn't stand it any more and I ran out into the backyard and lay on my stomach and buried my face in the grass. I was so churned up I nearly vomited. I remember actually praying and making those ridiculous promises to God you make when you are desperate for a miracle. When the blessed saving mark was made by Murray, the family roared inside, and I shut my eyes and virtually held my breath. I was just breathing grass and urging "Siren ..siren... siren ...siren siren."
And then it went !!!!!!! and it kept on going and going !!!!! And my parents and sisters and brother blew the top of the house off with joy!
And I'll remember the sweet smell of that grass forever.

We hugged and cried and laughed and madly dashed out into the street and all the neighbours came out and we sang When The Saints Go Marching In at the top of our lungs in a mad circle. It was pure bliss and pure joy. Mum and Dad had a few shandies and some old friends came over to share the moment. We were glued to the TV and I remember staying up late watching for news flashes from the St Kilda Town Hall (I think) where there were scenes of the players like Baldock dancing with their wives and other wild hilarity from the fans. I remember the Tommy Bent statue being dressed up, and the replay over and over again of the last parts of the game.

Mum stayed a true sainter right to the end of her long life. She was one of the oldest attendees in the crowd in 1997 and was quite frail.Those crows robbed her of a final joy that terrible day, but she always held onto the hope of another 66. Even in 2006 in the nursing home when she was as fragile as a little bird in her final illness, she kept a little St Kilda teddy on her shelf. In craft therapy class, the residents were asked to cut out a picture from a magazine or from the pile of newspapers and paste it on a placemat -that they got laminated for each resident. Mostly the old ladies made floral patterns, roses and violets and other pretty things.
Mum painstakingly cut out a picture of Robert Harvey, though with her difficulties, she managed to cut off most of the back of his head . Still, it was Harvs, and he then shared her dinners till the end.

Jesus Marching In, that's got to be the best first post of all time. I nearly cried it's such a great story. A dyed in the wool Sainter if ever there was one. Bless your dear old Mum. Go you mighty Sainters.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Marching In wrote:Mostly the old ladies made floral patterns, roses and violets and other pretty things.
you trying to make a grown man cry? talk about tugging at the heartstrings. lovely post.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I love this thread.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

As Maxwell Smart would say.."Missed it by that much"

I was 6 in 1966, but was born into a house of casual footy followers rather than real fans, and none of them Saints.

I picked St Kilda to follow in 1967, but had no idea they'd won the flag the year b4. I remember listening to the 1967 1st Semi v Geelong on the radio more out of novelty because the team I followed were playing. Hd no idea of the signifcance of finals etc.

By 71 though I was a keen fan and sat glued to the GF that year on the radio and was very dissapointed when they lost.

97...Sat in the MCC Members and had a lump in my throat the size of a tennis ball when St Kilda ran out. The old bloke in the tweed jacket with 50's pins on it next to me shed a tear, which didnt help at all :shock:
At the end of the game, just as it started raining, I walked pretty stunned out of the ground and walked into Ian Cover from the Coodabeens with his two young girls, both bawling their eyes out. I reckon a lot of grown men that evening were glad of the rain as cover :cry:

I guess I'm not the only one here whos played out in their minds the feelings that might go through you the moment when we do eventually win that 2nd flag. Relief? Joy? I look forward to finding out one of these days. Its a common thread to hear people say "OMG Im gonna get sooooooooooooooo drunk". Not me I dont think. Sure Ill celebrate wildly..but I reckon those feelings will be so good I wont want them obliterated with grog. I want them in my memory for the rest of my life.

Sorry..didnt mean to hijack. The stories from '66 are amazing :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
donthglfa
Club Player

I was -3 so I didnt see it but I can feel it in my blood :D

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

These stories are just wonderful. I was 3 so really have no idea. My father was there in '66 & '71 but I never asked him what it was like or how he felt. Unfortunately he passed away in '98 & it had never really occurred to me to ask him.

Marching In, your post brought tears to my eyes, the last words my father ever spoke were about Robert Harvey.

My Hawks supporting mother has made a Saints angel for me to take to the cemetery on Saturday for him before I go to the game. I think she secretly wants us to win. :wink:

The Sainter
Club Player

Lived in Reservoir in 1966 and went with my good friend Fred who lived opposite us who was a mad Collingwood fan. We went in by train. We had standing tickets to get in but it was so packed you could not move as there were thousands also with standing room tickets.
I was 29 at the time and had been going to see the Saints just on every game since i was 16. Ended up watching on the wing in front of the old score board with a great view. There were 2 nice size bushes on our front lawn which i had put Saint streamers all over them. When i arrived home from the game they were completely burnt as some rotten Magpie supporter had set them alight :P .
Fred who sadly is not with us now was the chief steward on the boat The Princess of Tasmania and was a close friend of John Greening and helped bring him over to Collingwood. I remember my son who was about 6 at the time playing cricket with John on Fred's front lawn. What a nice friendly person he was. Sincerely hope that all of you get the same thrill i got that day when we win another flag very soon i hope.
Incidently i started a new job in 1984 and who should be working there, Jim Read who was a member of our winning team.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Marching In wrote:Mostly the old ladies made floral patterns, roses and violets and other pretty things.
you trying to make a grown man cry? talk about tugging at the heartstrings. lovely post.
As St Byron and BigCarl posted....saintsational post Marching In !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

How many of us were old enough to appreciate 66?

:D And here's another wee memory from '66 that popped into my head.
As I said earlier in the thread, I was Everton mad!!!! (still am!) We had been getting belted by every team in our league matches (AFL equivalent of Home & away season) and were perilously close to the bottom of the ladder. But in the FA cup we had made steady progress through to the Semi-final (AFL equivalent: Preliminary final) we were drawn to play the Champions Manchester United and the experts were forecasting a "Glamour Final" of the two favourites Man Utd and Chelsea.
My mates and I piled into a Ford Anglia and drove to Bolton (the neutral venue) The town was full of Evertonians and Manchester United fans and we mingled and drank together without any hassles (Those were the days!) I remember us all clubbing our funds together and putting a fiver on the Blues at 5-1 with a bookie. I took the blue chalk from the billiard table and we all daubed our noses in blue chalk!!!
Nobody gave us a hope of winning but the miracle happened!! with ten minutes left we scored the winner we were on our way to Wembley!!!!!
In the other semi-final Sheffield Wednesday defeated mighty Chelsea!
The celebrations went long into the night (thanks to our winnings!) and we went on to win the cup!
I see a lot of similarity in the chances being given to Everton that day by the media/pundits/experts to the chances that are being given for the Saints to win against Hawthorn!!!!
I'm going into this game on saturday with the same attitude that I had on that Saturday so long ago in 1966 when the miracle happened! I dont EXPECT to win...but I firmly BELIEVE we can win!!!!!

GO SAINTS!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)