Lets get fair dinkum about Kosi!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
To the top wrote:
These days you rely on your running players to take control of the ball and kick to the advantage of their target/s.

Contested marks, and, indeed, the opportunity to take contested marks are few and far between.

So, if Kosi is the target of the player delivering, and has space on his opponent then that is what is required, isn't it?
I dont understand how we deliver it well to Rooy but not Kosi or is it Rooy reads it well and Kosi is a good average player at best.
I think you've hit on a different issue that doesn't excuse Kosi, but might suggest some of his performance up forward is symptomatic rather than a cause of forward line issues.

Do we deliver the ball well to Reiwoldt? Or does he at times make our delivery look good?

He's fast, has great hands, and a great engine, and is capable of running multiple opponents into the ground over the course of a game. I wonder at times for all our Roo-centricity with our kicking whether we don't find ourselves spoilt in his ability to make average kicks look good.

If that's the case, it doesn't let Koschitzke off the hook any more than it lets the others we've tried through the forward line, but it would explain why our forward line so often looks dysfuntional. The only guys who consistently put up goals are Roo and Milne, so perhaps there's an argument that the guys delivering the ball do have some responsibility for the dissapointing results of Kosi up forward.

In short, as you succinctly put it - Reiwoldt is a star forward, Kosi is not. Regardless of Kosi though, while better delivery probably doesn't elevate Kosi to star levels, but it probably results in more goals for everyone - including Reiwoldt.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

lets just hope he can play a blinder tonight

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:lets just hope he can play a blinder tonight
i will second that....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
To the top
SS Life Member

Well, well!

Now I will go looking for a similar thread to this one on Raph Clarke, and Gilbert, and Gram.

None of them have any ability on a football field and all should be traded.

According to the experts.

saintly_safes
Club Player

I really hope people get off his case & give him a break from the crap that is posted on this site.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Well, well!

Now I will go looking for a similar thread to this one on Raph Clarke, and Gilbert, and Gram.

None of them have any ability on a football field and all should be traded.

According to the experts.
And how many posters precisely listed all 4 of those players as being traded?

And what precisely will you go looking for???? Was he a superstar tonight? = no.

Kosi played as per essentially the average of his games...and has posted he is a useful footballer for the saints but not a star.

He was good tonight,,,,but a lot of his kicks lacked anythought...ie kicking long to 1 Saint on two Pies to turn it over when he hada team mate in space on the wing.

Now also go back and look at EVERY othegame he has played this year....how many of them has he played with the agression and desire he displayed tonight?

Answer = nil. That means he has underperformed.

Good players play well most weeks....and not one game occasionally.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Earned his keep tonight. I liked his aggression and effort. Took some grabs, kicked three goals and earned half a dozen or more contested possessions. Great to see.
Now I hope he can back it up next week. Don't think there was anything in the report. Looked like he should get off to me. My gut reaction was that he''ll be ok.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He was serviceable on Saturday.

Turned the ball over at least half a dozen times in the first half.

He did make his presence felt however, and we need that kind of intensity next week.

I would still trade him.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:He was serviceable on Saturday.

Turned the ball over at least half a dozen times in the first half.

He did make his presence felt however, and we need that kind of intensity next week.

I would still trade him.
I wouldn't....that is all! 8-)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kosi's Pies game should make both camps happy:

For those that want to trade him...his trade value went up.

For those that want to keep him..he at last played a game at the minimum acceptable standard that he needs to. Lets hope he keeps it up now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

People here sure are hard on Kosi.

Minimum acceptable level? What's acceptable level? Nick Reiwoldt level?

That was a good game from a 2nd ruck 2nd forward option. Not BOG good, not "oh my god he's a superstar" good, but good.

The problem is not that he's frequently below that - the problem is that he frequently dissapears. If that's what we want to consider baseline, we're not only likely to be dissapointed, we deserve to be. We should absolutely be able to get that level of output from Kosi more often than we do... and where we do, we'll be able to expect it to provide a big boost to our chances of winning the game. It may not be Dean Cox, but if we get the team contribution, would should need Dean Cox (not that I wouldn't take Cox in a heartbeat of course).

Make no mistake, he was a dangerous option who kicked 3 goals, put on his share of forward pressure, and was a physical presence. I thought he was really stiff on the umpiring calls for a lot of the night (the 50 for mouthing off was stupid though). 8 of his touches were contested, and he worked hard enough to get another 9 that weren't. We generally want him to be an X factor, and that's exactly what he was.

It might not be the vision we had for him back when he won the rising star, but at this stage, if Kosi could provide that kind of game on a more regular basis, then it would go a long way to alleviating the risk in our roo-centricity (and if the opposition would play rookie backmen on Reiwoldt every week, we wouldn't need that from Kosi).

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Great game from Kosi.... 3 goals, numerous contested possies and marks... A good big mans performance all round...

Super relieved he was let off by the MRP, as we have no hope without him this week...

Im sure those pushing to trade him would've wanted him suspended; they seem to be so far gone that they are happy to see Kosi out at the expense of the team... Luckily its becomming increasingly easier to ignore such bullsh1t on this forum... :D

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:People here sure are hard on Kosi.

Minimum acceptable level? What's acceptable level? Nick Reiwoldt level?

That was a good game from a 2nd ruck 2nd forward option. Not BOG good, not "oh my god he's a superstar" good, but good.

The problem is not that he's frequently below that - the problem is that he frequently dissapears. If that's what we want to consider baseline, we're not only likely to be dissapointed, we deserve to be. We should absolutely be able to get that level of output from Kosi more often than we do... and where we do, we'll be able to expect it to provide a big boost to our chances of winning the game. It may not be Dean Cox, but if we get the team contribution, would should need Dean Cox (not that I wouldn't take Cox in a heartbeat of course).

Make no mistake, he was a dangerous option who kicked 3 goals, put on his share of forward pressure, and was a physical presence. I thought he was really stiff on the umpiring calls for a lot of the night (the 50 for mouthing off was stupid though). 8 of his touches were contested, and he worked hard enough to get another 9 that weren't. We generally want him to be an X factor, and that's exactly what he was.

It might not be the vision we had for him back when he won the rising star, but at this stage, if Kosi could provide that kind of game on a more regular basis, then it would go a long way to alleviating the risk in our roo-centricity (and if the opposition would play rookie backmen on Reiwoldt every week, we wouldn't need that from Kosi).

BAM, yep some people are hard on Kosi. I don't support those advocating trading him. I have supported the idea that he's not untouchable though and with fair reason.
You hit the nail on the head when you said, "The problem is not that he's frequently below that - the problem is that he frequently dissapears."
That's it in a nutshell. He's just so bloody inconsistent. He needs to deliver consistently. I'm not expecting him to dominate week-in week-out and be an absolute superstar, but consistency is required and he just hasn't had any consistency at all.

To the top
SS Life Member

There were instances v. Collingwood when Kosi positioned himself very well in the forward line but was ignored.

Witness the last quarter and going to Roo on 3 successive occasions when he was outnumbered and the ball was rebounded (with Roo leaving the field shortly after).

On each occasion Kosi had peeled off to the exact position, hand in the air directing where he wanted it but was ignored.

Then, on the fourth time in, Kosi similarly positioned signalling for where he wanted the ball and it was put there. Held his ground, marked strongly in the goal square with his opponent unable to move him and goaled.

Plus there was the chase on Wakelin who was set to unload to Collingwood inside runners who were free (which they were a little to often). The tackle forced Wakelin to lose the ball OOB, to relieve the pressure - not withstanding a free kick being paid because we could then man up and force the turn over - particularly after the delay for the Report, which was farcical.

Anyone who entertains thoughts of Kosi being traded have absolutely no idea.

Players like him just do not grow on trees.