Lenny Hayes.....visibly shattered

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:You had 22 players just get pumped in a prelim. Why would the coach just talk up Harvey? Ok, he's a legend and we all know that... and I'm sure RL does too.

35 is just 1 cog in a team.

I think we can be a bit precious.
agree..lets wank off and possibly jizz over one player in a prelim...that won;'st win games...

jesus thank christ he is a gone...now we can win it for noone but the club...not some player

i bet lyon is relieved tonight
I do hope your 40 beers down and taking the piss, cause if your not, then I think your time as a St Kilda fan is done.

There were 2 men in the late 80's & early 90's who kept this club alive, kept people interested in the Saints, it was Harvey & Lockett. Had it not been for them, there would be no Saintsational.com, let alone a St Kilda Football Club

To say "We can win it for the club, not some player" is a cold hearted comment, with no idea what been a Saints supporter is all about.

I really do hope you take back your words once you become sober.

timtam
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:You had 22 players just get pumped in a prelim. Why would the coach just talk up Harvey? Ok, he's a legend and we all know that... and I'm sure RL does too.

agree..lets wank off and possibly jizz over one player in a prelim...that won;'st win games...

jesus thank christ he is a gone...now we can win it for noone but the club...not some player

Absolutely DISGUSTED with this post. Pull you head in and show a true champion of the game the respect he deserves! He is the ULTIMATE team player and was one of the best on field for us today if you have a look at his stats.

It has never been all about Robert Harvey, it has ALWAYS been about the team. If it wasn't, he would have played on next year.

Don't argue with an idiot - people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
timtam
Club Player

battye wrote:In the rooms afterwards it looked like a lot of people were distressed. Goddard visibly, Riewoldt, Clarke, Milne, Hayes...

RL could have been a little better in his post match interview. Harvey hasn't been a "contributor to the team", he has been a star player and a champion for 21 years. I guess he had to be seen as keeping it together though.
Get off the man's back. If you happened to tune into SEN after the game, you would have heard a fitting tribute from Ross towards Harvey. Ross is here to stay, so I suggest you get over it!!!!

Don't argue with an idiot - people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Richter......calling Harvey an ornament is not a cliche....it's a fact.........disagree?????

383 games over 21 years and about 50 BOGs...he deserves our praise - yes?????....

He is one of the best players I have ever seen, and will sorely miss him......Ross may coach for x number of years....even coach a pship....but will never leave the stamp that #35 has done...

and

Exactly how is he a martyr?????

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

You must feel like a real tool today.

Do us a favour , go barrack for collingwood,West Coast or a south Oz team where you obviously belong.

Disgusting !

What will be next from this club ?
marksnsparks
Club Player

Don't like Harves being called an ornament. They sit on th shelf gathering dust and not doing much.

Surely we can think of a better way to describe the great man?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:

I do hope your 40 beers down and taking the piss, cause if your not, then I think your time as a St Kilda fan is done.

There were 2 men in the late 80's & early 90's who kept this club alive, kept people interested in the Saints, it was Harvey & Lockett. Had it not been for them, there would be no Saintsational.com, let alone a St Kilda Football Club

To say "We can win it for the club, not some player" is a cold hearted comment, with no idea what been a Saints supporter is all about.

I really do hope you take back your words once you become sober.
hand in ya membership saintpremier......im as angry as the next person, believe me.
but that was just a pathetic comment.

and theres nothing wrong with tears.
i lent on the handrail head on chin for 20 mins after the game up in level two....tears coming out my eyballs.
wouldnt turn around in case peeps saw me......by the time i looked around the bays were empty.

Every club NEEDS a harvey type, the legacy, the clubman etc etc
hayes always was the next
and rightfully so
BLEEDS st kilda

ScubaSam44
Club Player

also Bj was having a bit of a teary. :(

would have really loved to have heard what harvey was saying.

i was crying early into the 4th quater, they were showing harves, he just kept looking up to the score board, shaking his head, he knew it was all over, but he had to keep going.

+ good ol' Lenny. :) wears the heart on the sleeve along with Bj.

Theres no substitute for hardwork- Robert Harvey.
saint1974
Club Player

Hayes Goddard wear and bleed the red white and black openly.

So does Roo and Max.

Yes last night I crien an end of an era,last time Icried was when Burkey and the late great Trevor Barker retired these are the guys who haven given the most to our club in some pretty dark times.

Last night was the reality that Harves will no longer be out on the ground.

My 21 year old son was bawling his eyes out he has only worn the no.35 jumper for 18 years, said noone will ever replace the great 35.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ScubaSam44
Club Player

Woah, they all look like they might of shed a few tears for ol harvs.

it hit Lenny and Max pretty hard i think, they've been playing with him for a while.

it would of hit them all.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If Ross Lyon called Harves a contrbutor...he is a horses arse....show some F***en respect and stop speaking in cliche's......the seasons over......tell it how it is....

Robert Harvey WAS an ornament to the game.....it was the last presser he will do mentioning harves....and he called him a CONTRIBUTOR...FFS
What do you think of Lyon now?

Maybe don't shoot from the hip next time?

By Luke Holmesby 11:35 PM Sat 20 September, 2008

http://www.saints.com.au/tabid/5315/Def ... wsid=67984

ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon says retiring veteran Robert Harvey's mental toughness set an example he hopes his younger charges will look up to.

The Saints fell to Hawthorn by 54 points in Saturday night's preliminary final – Harvey's 383rd and final match in a career that spanned 21 years.

Lyon said the reason behind the 37-year-old's longevity and many achievements was his application to the game.

"What people don’t understand was the mental strength. How strong mentally he is to prepare in the manner he does day-in, day-out," Lyon said.

"A lot of people talk about it and some can do it for three months a year or two years. But to see the relentless nature of the preparation is to understand what makes Robert great.

"I was privileged as coach of St Kilda to see it first-hand and forever he will be a role model at our club. Robert puts it in simple terms: I’ve worked my hardest from Monday to Friday to give myself the best opportunity to play well on game day."

Lyon said Harvey should be proud of his impressive career that included two Brownlow Medals, four best and fairest awards and eight All-Australian selections.

"It’s been self-evident with Robert, his record and everything he’s achieved. He sits up there for everyone to admire. It’s only one item short," Lyon said, with his late reference a premiership.

"He’ll look back and reflect and he won’t be a frustrated old man like a lot of us. That’s the question when you leave the game that everyone asks themselves.

"I was around in Robert's era and I was an unabashed admirer."

bethb7
Club Player

Lenny did look very upset it was hard to watch. I completly lost it when Harvs starting balling after his speeh that was horrible

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
ScubaSam44
Club Player

Lenny did look very upset it was hard to watch. I completly lost it when Harvs starting balling after his speeh that was horrible
Yeah, that was hard to watch.
i just bawled after that, aswell as seeing Lenny and Bj upset.
noticed, wherever Harv was after the game, Max was always looking in harves direction.
:)

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

How did you guys see it were you watching it on TV

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

clarky449 wrote:How did you guys see it were you watching it on TV
Yes they kept cutting to the StKilda rooms during Harvey's final address.
I would give a first born or left nut to get a sound bite or video clip of the speech.
To say that Lyon was disrespectful is a joke. Or more to the point the posters that said he was disrespectful are the joke. If a few of you want to go down that path have a look at where NDS was standing during the speech. Furthest distance away from Banger, they are in all aspects, poles apart.

Seeya
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Okay damn i wish i saw it looks like ill have to see if it will be on FC tonight

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

a night on and no...still not differing in my comments

the fact is that this club is hell bent on glorifying individuals despite them playing in teams...lockett, harvey, winmar

this forum and supporters in general wet themselves over the glory days where lockett was in the team...he kicked 10...but we still lost...didnt win a flag

the same can be said for countless others...

the sad thing is that this club due to its lack of premiership glory hangs onto the past...look at the rb/gt debate 3 years on...if/when/maybe if they were gone we would have been right...the flag would have been ours...but no...we have to play the blame game...

its okay though...because the club still has a loser-ish culture but continuously talking up the harvey retirement parade...its okay cause it makes us feel better

oh and we made a prelim...wow...we made them in consecutive years lets try and do that again...we still didnt have anything to show for it...woooo

for what its worth im a proud sainter and as proud as they come...but i don't live in a world wearing rose-coloured glasses...this hurts...getting so close yet again and not being able to compete when the real stuff was on hurts big time...ive been feeling down as all day...

its about time some of you grew up

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:a night on and no...still not differing in my comments

the fact is that this club is hell bent on glorifying individuals despite them playing in teams...lockett, harvey, winmar

this forum and supporters in general wet themselves over the glory days where lockett was in the team...he kicked 10...but we still lost...didnt win a flag

the same can be said for countless others...

the sad thing is that this club due to its lack of premiership glory hangs onto the past...look at the rb/gt debate 3 years on...if/when/maybe if they were gone we would have been right...the flag would have been ours...but no...we have to play the blame game...

its okay though...because the club still has a loser-ish culture but continuously talking up the harvey retirement parade...its okay cause it makes us feel better

oh and we made a prelim...wow...we made them in consecutive years lets try and do that again...we still didnt have anything to show for it...woooo

for what its worth im a proud sainter and as proud as they come...but i don't live in a world wearing rose-coloured glasses...this hurts...getting so close yet again and not being able to compete when the real stuff was on hurts big time...ive been feeling down as all day...

its about time some of you grew up
Its harsh SP.....and perhaps a little raw at present but there is some truth in what you say. We are a club who idolises the individual more than many I suspect but reality is we are the most underachieved club in the game.

That said, I do believe Lyon is not of this ilk. Hes a "equal contribution" type man and to me thats what we need. Im convinced the day will come when we wont talk only of of the individual brilliance of a St Kilda player.....we'll talk openly (I'll be drunk) about "that" St Kilda TEAM that just bought home the chocolates.

Have faith.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

There would of been emotions in the room, even if it wasn't Harves last match....

They would all be genuinely disappointed having missed a spot in the GF anyway, mixed in with the fact that the scoreboard wasn't pretty

:cry: