Saints force bulldogs to use 1st pick.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Saints force bulldogs to use 1st pick.

St.Kilda bid Pick 13 for Ayce Cordy, forcing the bulldogs to use their 1st round pick for the Father/Son Ayce Cordy, otherwise the bulldogs could have got him with their 4th or 5th round pick.

The Saints must be going after a ruckman, so we may be disappointed with McEvoy.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints force bulldogs to use 1st pick.

borderbarry wrote:St.Kilda bid Pick 13 for Ayce Cordy, forcing the bulldogs to use their 1st round pick for the Father/Son Ayce Cordy, otherwise the bulldogs could have got him with their 4th or 5th round pick.

The Saints must be going after a ruckman, so we may be disappointed with McEvoy.
Already mentioned numerous times in the 6 page thread on the subject

saint4life
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

chook23. What are you on about? This just happened this morning. Father/Son bidding 10am.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

chook23
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:chook23. What are you on about? This just happened this morning. Father/Son bidding 10am.
See the thread ......Saints to push Dogs for Cordy

saint4life
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:St.Kilda bid Pick 13 for Ayce Cordy, forcing the bulldogs to use their 1st round pick for the Father/Son Ayce Cordy, otherwise the bulldogs could have got him with their 4th or 5th round pick.

Sorry BB, you are jumping to too many conclusions.

WHilst the Saints may be looking for another ruckman, and may also be disappointed with McEvoy, there is absolutely no real evidence that either statement is factual.

WHat they have done this morning is force WB to use their first round draft pick to take a Father/Son nomination they could have used a 3rd round pick on in previous years.

If nothing else it means there is an extra avaialble player for us to choose from with our second (and probably third) round pick.

The WB were always going to take Cordy - we just forced them to use a much higher pick.

I don't know of any Club in the last 10 years that has actually come out and said who they were going to draft prior to the Draft taking place.

This appears to be nothing more than astute management by the Saints List people.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I don't know of any Club in the last 10 years that has actually come out and said who they were going to draft prior to the Draft taking place.
Pretty sure the saints said they were going to draft kosi and roo before they did but hadn't decided on which order.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
WHat they have done this morning is force WB to use their first round draft pick to take a Father/Son nomination they could have used a 3rd round pick on in previous years.

The WB were always going to take Cordy - we just forced them to use a much higher pick.
I am looking at what hapened from two different angles;

1. St Kilda are proving to be very ruthless in a very ruthless buisness (Dogs committed to Cordy 12 months ago, even if was their 1st pick),

2. There is "bad blood" between saints & dogs and this is a way of "sticking it up em".

Either way there are 14 other clubs who will gain some benifit (be it ever so small) from the stance St Kilda took !!

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote: The Saints must be going after a ruckman, so we may be disappointed with McEvoy.
Ross has already said he wants to pick up a ruckman. Nothing to do with McEvoy. More to do with the fact that Gardiner and Rix don't have a future and King won't be around too much longer.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
borderbarry wrote: The Saints must be going after a ruckman, so we may be disappointed with McEvoy.
Ross has already said he wants to pick up a ruckman. Nothing to do with McEvoy. More to do with the fact that Gardiner and Rix don't have a future and King won't be around too much longer.
common scence wont get you far in here :wink:

i think its a great idea for the bidding system it still lets clubs get the f/s picks but makes them pay a realistic price for them

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

WHilst the Saints may be looking for another ruckman, and may also be disappointed with McEvoy, there is absolutely no real evidence that either statement is factual.

If nothing else it means there is an extra avaialble player for us to choose from with our second (and probably third) round pick.

I don't know of any Club in the last 10 years that has actually come out and said who they were going to draft prior to the Draft taking place.

This appears to be nothing more than astute management by the Saints List people.
Do you honestly think we would take even the slightest risk of bidding if we didnt want him. What do we actually get out of it with Footscray using pick 14. A pick one spot earlier. Big deal. If we took that risk and didnt really want him that may have been one of the poorest recruiting decision we have made in the last 20 years and that is saying something.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

the idea that ross is looking to pick up another ruckman shows he is in it to both go with the squad he has presently and looking to build for a real future

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

I've no doubt that we'd have been happy to get him if we could have. Forcing the WB's to use their first pick is a consolation, albeit minor.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Do you honestly think we would take even the slightest risk of bidding if we didnt want him. What do we actually get out of it with Footscray using pick 14. A pick one spot earlier. Big deal. If we took that risk and didnt really want him that may have been one of the poorest recruiting decision we have made in the last 20 years and that is saying something.
Plugger, since neither you nor I, nor probably anyone else on here has any real inside knowledge as to what our 'list people' are thinking, anything that is posted here is pure supposition.

To answer your question.
I reckon we called WB's Bluff, comfortable in the knowledge that if we somehow ended up with him for pick 13 then we managed to get a 202cm ruckman who by the reports I've seen/read/heard is not as good as Natanui but pretty much right up there as far as ruckmen in this draft.

I reckon that they were pretty sure WB were committed to him and felt they had nothing to lose by going down this path.
But hey, it's only my opinion and it has as much/little relevance as yours or anybody elses on this issue.

One thing we do know is that WB have used their pick #14 which means that any other player they were looking at as a first round draft pick (with their pick #14 if they coulf have gotten away with using a later pick on Cordy) is now free and available to any other Club (including us) from pick #14 onwards.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I would have been very happy if the Dogs had left Cordy to us as he would likely have been better than anything else available at pick 13. This draft has three gun ruck prospects (four if you count McKernan, who's more of a Kosi type). It doesn't mean we're targeting a ruck with our first pick. It means we're targeting gun players with our first pick. And it says absolutely nothing about McEvoy.

With Cordy gone and both Naitanui and Vickery both likely gone by our pick, we're unlikely take a ruck in the first round. We'd have to invent something that isn't there, which would be, as they say, like farting at thunder. We're not picking a position, we're picking a player.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:so we may be disappointed with McEvoy.
Are you serious ???

What more could they expect from 18yr old Ruckman. :roll: :roll:

derby Street
Club Player

A pretty fair + reasonable disection Mr Magic. If the Saints hadn't of bid or no other club bid ?????? I don't think for one minute that the W.B wer not going to take Cordy - but at what number. They may off load Ray for a draft choice ??? etc All in all I reckon not a bad play by the Saints.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote:A pretty fair + reasonable disection Mr Magic. If the Saints hadn't of bid or no other club bid ?????? I don't think for one minute that the W.B wer not going to take Cordy - but at what number. They may off load Ray for a draft choice ??? etc All in all I reckon not a bad play by the Saints.
So you reckon if we didnt bid no one else would of. I doubt that very much on a guy that was always considered a first round pick and that is the only reason we put our first round pick up. Not so the Dogs would use there first round pick.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Isn't it possible that someone at the club thought that the kid was better than a lottery pick at 13 and worth locking in?

I can't for the life of me see how bidding for someone that wasn't valued at that pick or higher would make sense.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
derby Street wrote:A pretty fair + reasonable disection Mr Magic. If the Saints hadn't of bid or no other club bid ?????? I don't think for one minute that the W.B wer not going to take Cordy - but at what number. They may off load Ray for a draft choice ??? etc All in all I reckon not a bad play by the Saints.
So you reckon if we didnt bid no one else would of. I doubt that very much on a guy that was always considered a first round pick and that is the only reason we put our first round pick up. Not so the Dogs would use there first round pick.
But nobody else did bid.
It just means Saints thought he was in the best 13
Swans didn´t think he was in the best 12
Pies didn´t think he was in the top 11
etc.

If the dogs had passed, he was committed to us and we were committed to him. Nobody could have underbid us.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
But nobody else did bid.
It just means Saints thought he was in the best 13
Swans didn´t think he was in the best 12
Pies didn´t think he was in the top 11
etc.

If the dogs had passed, he was committed to us and we were committed to him. Nobody could have underbid us.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

There's an echo in here

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:There's an echo in here
A what?