harvey for assistant coach at carlton?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JeffDunne

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:I never really understand the "you've got get experience somewhere else" line that's always trotted out in these situations.

Didn't do Paul Roos any harm going from playing to assistant to senior coach at the same club. Sure he played at Fitzroy also, but after 21 years I'm sure Harv's has seen more than his fair share of coaches and their different styles.
I think the argument is that Harves himself may want to broaden his experience, if feels it to be neccessary...
That's a different argument though.

Harv's can do what he pleases but I wouldn't not want him at St Kilda because he neeeds to get experience elsewhere.

Who can blame him if Dick's offering him a sack of cash? Can't see how working with their inexperienced coaching dept would be of any benefit but I can certainly understand the benefits of being on Dick's payroll.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

21 years at one place is a long time a change of club may be what hes chasing as much as it would kill me to see him in a carlton/collingwood media polo you gotta understand harves ha payed his dues and then some to our club so he owes us nothing if he wants to go there good luck to him ......thing how it irks the carltoon fans to see theire beloved SOS in our colours

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

he has also spoken to ross

"Harvey talks to Pies, Blues about coaching

Jake Niall | October 8, 2008

RETIRED St Kilda great Robert Harvey has been in discussions with Collingwood and Carlton about joining their coaching panels next year.

Harvey also has spoken to St Kilda coach Ross Lyon about a possible coaching role with the club he played with for the past 21 years.

Harvey has not yet received formal offers from the Magpies or Blues, but his management yesterday indicated he was most interested in a role in development coaching and working with younger players.

Harvey's manager, Shane Casley of Elite Sports Properties, yesterday confirmed that the dual Brownlow medallist had been in contact with Collingwood, Carlton and the Saints about potential coaching roles.

Casley said that development coaching and tutoring young players were Harvey's preferred options in the event that he pursued a coaching career.

Casley added that, since his retirement, Harvey had briefly assisted the Australian Institute of Sport's academy squad. Michael Voss, now Brisbane's senior coach, and another prospective senior coach, Nathan Buckley, have both assisted in coaching the AIS squad this year.

Harvey, 37, is not yet decided on which of the clubs provides the best fit. He already has a Frankston sports store in partnership with Shane Warne and Aaron Hamill.

A vacancy has opened up at St Kilda following the exit of assistant coach Anthony Rock, who has returned to North Melbourne as part of Dean Laidley's team. Rock, who has been an assistant at Melbourne and St Kilda, played with Laidley and another assistant, Darren Crocker, in North's 1996 premiership team.

Collingwood, having lost Guy McKenna to the new Gold Coast club, is in the market for an experienced assistant coach and is also seeking to replace chief development coach Alan Richardson, who has joined Essendon as an assistant coach.

Hawthorn assistant Todd Viney has signed with Adelaide for the next three seasons.
SPONSORED LINKS

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Harv's don't get seduced by the dark side for once you start down that path, forever will it hold your destiny.

I know you may have thought you felt that there was some good there when you did battle against them, but trust me, they are pure evil.

goodie
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:The news items said he was 'speaking about a role with both Carlton and Collingwood'.
Well I guess telling them to bugger off requires speaking

Langi
Club Player

Harves don't do it, please don't go to carlton, they don't respect you nearly as much as we adoring saints do here's proof,

Harvey would be OK. But we already have Braddles around the club, and maybe we should be boosting his development role. Harvey is after all the poor man's Braddles. ( this is from the carlton forum from big footy )

We still need you at the saints so please harves come back and help develop our group as goodness knows we need it !!!!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

he might actually get closer to a flag than with us though

but seriously, why would anyone hold it against him to coach for another side???...

he might figure that this isn't for him and decide against it completely...

then we dont have to find out ourselves he isn't the coach everyone thought he would be...

all theoretical of course

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.