Magpies out of Cousins race

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I can understand why Nixon would be ticked with Collingwood.

Leaking the information they had a private D following him and now suggesting he's too big a risk leads people to a conclusion that damages his reputation further without a shred of evidence.

Personally I think the AFL & the AFLPA should be investigating Collingwood's actions in this because I reckon it's reprehensible in the circumstances.

Collingwood are well within their rights doing their so-called due-dilligence, but that isn't the issue here. They feel like they're losing the battle so let's tarnish his reputation.

Pity the very same club didn't do it's due dilligence when they backed a known liar by belittling anyone that questioned what was an obvious lie.
I agree

I am sure that nixon and cousins would be fine with them making inquiries but this releasing it to the media has slurred cousins name. Add to that the extent of the investigation... I'm suprised the CIA wasn't involved......

anyway it kind of highlights the stupidity of the trolls who came on here. Get that number 9 ready for him :)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Really the Collingwood Football Club is showing itself as a low rent organisation.
What would you expect from an organisation that has the collective IQ of a bowling ball???

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

If he goes in the pre season draft, do Brisbane have the pick before us?

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Really the Collingwood Football Club is showing itself as a low rent organisation.
What would you expect from an organisation that has the collective IQ of a bowling ball???
Another quality post FQF.

So long as Cuz can keep his distance from Johnny Kizon and not retain his association u should be right...... :roll: 8-) :roll:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:If he goes in the pre season draft, do Brisbane have the pick before us?
yes but do you really believe that brisbane would not decide of young players?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Geezer
Club Player

voss has an interest in cousins.
he and cousins get on really well together and voss believes he can keep him in line. . .

its out of brisane and stkilda.
cousins also has a house at the northern end of the gold coast.

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
Legendary
Club Player

Yes, don't discount Brisbane in this. We aren't over the line. Vossy has a strong pull, and Cousins does own property up there.

However, Ricky Nixon will be telling Ben to remain in Melbourne, with the reduced spotlight on his activities and the greater football population giving him a greater degree of privacy.

Plus the Lions aren't likely to have much success in the next couple of years finals-wise ... we are (arguably) a lot closer to playing in a premiership.

For those reasons I think we will see BC in the #9 for 2009 at Moorabbin :D

JeffDunne

Half the players in the AFL probably own property on the Gold Coast.

JeffDunne

Legendary wrote:However, Ricky Nixon will be telling Ben to remain in Melbourne, with the reduced spotlight on his activities and the greater football population giving him a greater degree of privacy.
I would think the complete opposite would be true.

However, the Lions are somewhat seen as the clean-skins in the Brisbane sporting market and both them and the AFL use this subtly in promoting the game in Queensland

If it's not in the AFL's interests then it won't happen.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I like the attitude shown on here to give the guy a second chance, it pleases me that so many are willing to see the good in people.

However there is one thing that is alarming me, why are we so sure that Collingwood only got nervous....perhaps BC may still be struggling?

To admit this to ourselves wouldn't mean that we don't wish the best for him would it?

I think we would all like the "happy ever after" for BC - that is a given, but "blind" faith can be dangerous.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

shave him down - give him a hair transplant on the sly, and send him out to do what he does best- would love to see him play out his career here.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
However there is one thing that is alarming me, why are we so sure that Collingwood only got nervous....perhaps BC may still be struggling?

Collingwood is the one that is struggling re Didak and Shaw and the often quoted problems with their player culture.

As for Cousins, if he is still struggling he wont get re-registered and that will be that.

Nixon has a vested interest but sees it this way.

"Ben sees, as a best case scenario himself getting drafted playing 22 games, helping get the team into the GF and winning a flag. That he could cope with."

"I look at him getting drafted, breaking his leg in the first game and never playing again. Could he cope with that? Where he is now I know he could"

Take that for what it is.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I reckon tyhe Pies just got edgy about their image.

Protecting your brands "image" is everything to Eddie, and the Didak/Shaw fiasco of last year surely has sponsors sitting up and taking notice

C'mon...so may Pies, young and old, have played up iin the last couple of years that their mentoring program is obviously severely in need of review. No matter how clean he is now, I reckon Eddie et all just didnt feel it safe to introduce Benny into that environment

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
St Michele
Club Player

I am glad it might be us who picks him up. He is a very fit young man and deserves the chance to show the world there is life after addiction.
It is something that permeates all parts of life, sport is no different so I would welcome him with welcome arms, I tihnk he would alos be an example ot the young ones in sport that you can stuff up but there is a tomorrow.

Michele

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:
.....However, Ricky Nixon will be telling Ben to remain in Melbourne, with the reduced spotlight on his activities and the greater football population giving him a greater degree of privacy.....
I would have thought there would be much more hype around him, and footy in general in Melbourne than Brisbane :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
vantheman
Club Player

St Kilda keen on Cousins, says manager

St Kilda keen on Cousins, says manager

October 17, 2008 - 11:01AM

Ben Cousins is set to make his much-anticipated comeback with St Kilda next year, if the recovering drug addict is given the go-ahead to play again by the AFL.

Collingwood pulled out of the race for the former West Coast captain Thursday night.

The 30-year-old will learn next month if the AFL Commission will clear him to return after being deregistered in 2008 for bringing the game into disrepute.

Cousins' manager Ricky Nixon said St Kilda were the one club who had expressed to him their belief that his rehabilitation would be best served by returning to football.

"One club in particular has led the way in talking to us about that and making the playing side of that and his involvement back in the community and with supporters and the club part of his rehabilitation," Nixon told Radio 3AW Friday.

"We're encouraged by that and the AFL should be encouraged by that."

Nixon said he was not particularly worried that Collingwood's decision could turn other clubs off Cousins.

"You only need one club to play AFL football and at the moment there's at least one who are quite prepared to draft him if he's made eligible to play," he said.

The Magpies told Nixon they had decided not to chase Cousins for a number of reasons, including their preference for younger players, injury concerns and his well-documented off-field issues.

The Magpies had initially been seen as Cousins' most likely destination, primarily because their coach Mick Malthouse was his first coach at the Eagles.

But Nixon said they had not been the preferred option for either him or Cousins.

The Herald-Sun reported Friday that senior Collingwood officials spoke with Victorian Police Commissioner Christine Nixon before deciding not to pursue Cousins, the 2005 Brownlow medallist.

Ricky Nixon said he was concerned that the police commissioner had refused to publicly clarify if she had spoken to Collingwood or what she had said.

"It leaves it open to innuendo and rumour," he said.

" ... I don't have a problem with Collingwood or any club doing their due diligence.

"In fact, I'd love them to do it and do as much as they can.

"And I'll tell you what, if they want 110 per cent of exactly what Ben's been through and where he's at and what he's been doing the last 12 months they only have to come to my office because we're not going to shirk the issue."

Cousins was dumped by West Coast last year and senior Eagles officials have insisted they have no intention of re-signing him.

Saints officials refused to comment Friday on whether they were still in the hunt for the midfield sta

markp
Saintsational Legend

The problem I think is that Didak and the Didak fiasco has made it impossible for them to take the risk. The PI thing maybe sealed the deal, and these recent 'leaks' (slurs) are perhaps just ar$e covering. News flash -Cousins has dodgy mates!!! Surely with the encouragement and guidance of a proactive club and teammates around him all that can be negated.

When it comes to closing the deal, the pies are like George Clooney with erectile disfunction.....

I also think he'd be mad to go to the Lions with a virgin coach and little chance at a tilt in the next couple of years. Yes he would have a lower profile up there, but surely the Gold Coast and all that it offers would be like a red rag to a bull to a man with his problems.

A fit and healthy Ben Cousins with something to prove would be an awesome addition to our team.

kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

There is a new article on Herald Sun website re: Nixon's reaction to Collingwoods conduct.

Interested part in the middle re: St Kilda's efforts/intentions.

Points to the conclusion that we were the club speculated about presenting a 'professional rehab and recruitment' plan to Cousins and his Management.

Personally, i think it's become pretty clear that Cousins is going to be a saint next year. Great result.
Hope club does everyhting it can to put a positive pro-active / rehabilitiative spin on this (if it does eventuate).

see link:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html

(hope that link works)

go saints!
kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

oops. too late. ignore above.

see vantheman's post above.

go saints!
markp
Saintsational Legend

I also think if we could land him and help manage him to health and success it would say much for our Club.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

lol @ Collingwood the clean skins.

Remind me again which cub reporter had contacts with an Underbelly deaden when covering the boxing :D :D :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:I also think if we could land him and help manage him to health and success it would say much for our Club.
Thats what a football club should be about. Nuturing their players while at the club.

Collingwood is intent on burning players so as to cover their arses, regardless of the effect it may have on the player in question.

Lance or James??

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Cousins has always been supremely fit as well. Would you say that he is the most well-conditioned player the game has EVER seen? Possibly. Just an animal and an extremely hard trainer in the Harvey mould.

You can guarantee he'll be absolutely shredded should he play AFL next season.

I'd love it if we got him.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
markp wrote:I also think if we could land him and help manage him to health and success it would say much for our Club.
Thats what a football club should be about. Nuturing their players while at the club.

Collingwood is intent on burning players so as to cover their arses, regardless of the effect it may have on the player in question.
Agree with both comments. Would certainly enhance St Kilda's reputation.

I just wish he wasn't 30 years old but 26!!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I know have a feeling that Ben wont pass the drug tests set out by the AFL.....