Telstra Dome renamed Etihad Stadium

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne

markp wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
markp wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I'd rather they didnt have sponsers names and screw the clubs that use it even more.
Where does it farken end though?

How bout we sell our name every year and become the *insert sponsors name here* Saints... or a goal could be called a big mac and a point could be a cheese burger....
Holding the Ball could be called the McNuggets Decision.
So a Big Mac could be kicked after a McNuggets, right on the Quarter pounder time siren.
And the umpires could be dressed as Ronald McDonald........ Oh.......... They already are. :oops:
And we could use red and yellow balls....... :?
The Hamburglar as Goal Umpire?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

There's a poll on the H/S website asking what the worst stadium name I've ever heard are. The options are:
  • Etihad Stadium
  • Skilled Stadium
  • Aurora Stadium
  • AAMI Stadium
  • ANZ Stadium
I've got a few I'd like to add to that list:
  • Amway Arena
  • Angel Stadium of Anaheim
  • AutoZone Park
  • Coral Windows Stadium
  • Dick’s Sporting Goods Park
  • Easy-Credit Stadion
  • EnergySolutions Arena
  • Fifth Third Field
  • Gaylord Entertainment Center
  • Glass Bowl
  • Great American Ball Park
  • Home Depot Center
  • Inn2gether Stadium
  • Jenny Craig Pavilion
  • jobing.com Arena
  • KitKat Crescent
  • Lucas Oil Stadium
  • National Car Rental Center
  • Pizza Hut Park
  • Playmobil Stadion
  • St. Pete Times Forum
  • superpages.com Center
  • TD BankNorth Garden
  • University of Arizona Stadium
  • Whataburger Field

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SteveStevens66
Club Player

markp wrote:
a goal could be called a big mac and a point could be a cheese burger....
You'll recall that the bloody ball used to have a McDonald's "M" on it. The AFL--talk about whores. Even in the REALLY big-money sports, the English Premier League or NFL or NBA in the States, the ball remains sacrosanct. You cannot advertise on it. Not with us though. As far as those cheap sluts, Dimwit and Collins are concerned, everything is for sale.

Carna Saints!!!
your momma
Club Player

FARRR OUT!!!

they may aswell named it Copronascafigadoo Stadium and renamed the Docklands....Fredrick Opoplus!.......

I dont beleive the AFL has reached outside countries (Which Im Still GOD DAMN WAITING FOR)

How am i supposed to pronounce it these days...As useful as a one armed brick layer in Baghdad....

They may as well name it 'Collingwood Fagpies'
'Shitney Swans'
'Adelaide Hoes'
'Freo shockers'
'NM Kangapoos'
Rename the Gabba......the Ga(y)bba(r)

Man that S*** is Whack!

I got a response.......

...Well Ive made my point. Hey, i exaggerate.

"Im never satisfied...its a curse"
battye
Saintsational Legend

Everyone will still call it "The Dome" or TD for short.

Etihad is too strange to call a stadium. Doesn't even mean anything to Australians.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

It should be called the "Food Monopoly Stadium"

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:Everyone will still call it "The Dome" or TD for short.

Etihad is too strange to call a stadium. Doesn't even mean anything to Australians.
it almost sounds like jihad...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I'd rather they didnt have sponsers names and screw the clubs that use it even more.
So why do clubs seemingly get a better deal from the MCG and also there is no naming rights sponsor there?

There is a limit.

Look at the US. Candlestick Park in San Francisco. Iconic. Was known as 3com Park and now is known as Monster Park. Herman Munster is number one patron.

I'm enjoying your sarcasm, but money cannot be the only reason for this sort of stuff happening.

MCG doesn't need to sell out. Why does Ian Collins?

Edit:
Other stadiums that don't need to sell out.
1. SCG
2. Gabba
3. WACA
4. Subiaco (toyed with it though)

Glad we don't play AFL at any of those. Football Park & Docklands, hang your heads in shame.
I think you find none of those are owed by private enterprise. They need to make money. If it wasnt built by private enterprise it would not have been built because the government would never hadput in the money for it.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Oil money oval?

Sheik stadium?

midas_touch
Club Player

I'll always identify it as The Dome as well.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
So why do clubs seemingly get a better deal from the MCG and also there is no naming rights sponsor there?

There is a limit.

Look at the US. Candlestick Park in San Francisco. Iconic. Was known as 3com Park and now is known as Monster Park. Herman Munster is number one patron.

I'm enjoying your sarcasm, but money cannot be the only reason for this sort of stuff happening.

Edit:
1. SCG
2. Gabba
3. WACA

Glad we don't play AFL at any of those. Football Park & Docklands, hang your heads in shame.
I think you find none of those are owed by private enterprise. They need to make money. If it wasnt built by private enterprise it would not have been built because the government would never hadput in the money for it.
I don't think they are about to go broke... the concept of constantly renaming a landmark, and such a central part of the game itself is deeply flawed, bordering on totally f**ked.

Give it a name and stick with it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

There is a limit.

Edit:
1. SCG
2. Gabba
3. WACA

I don't think they are about to go broke... the concept of constantly renaming a landmark, and such a central part of the game itself is deeply flawed, bordering on totally f**ked.

So if you were a shareholder and lost the naming rights sponser you would just say bad luck who cares about the money. Its nothing to do with going broke its about making money for the shareholders unless of course you want clubs to make even less money. The thing that amazes me is why would anyone care.

markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

There is a limit.

Edit:
1. SCG
2. Gabba
3. WACA

So if you were a shareholder and lost the naming rights sponser you would just say bad luck who cares about the money. Its nothing to do with going broke its about making money for the shareholders unless of course you want clubs to make even less money. The thing that amazes me is why would anyone care.
There you go being bewildered again.....

I disapprove of this simply because I think it's a bridge too far, like toll roads and subliminal advertising.... everyone has their line, I guess yours is a little further along the way than mine.

Maybe they should cover the whole playing surface in advertising?

We get what we settle for... I'll stick to calling it Docklands Stadium, you can call it whatever they tell you to.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind any Arab nation sponsoring a ground/naming rights/sponsoring St Kilda even, provided they dont' inflict any of their cultural "values" upon us.

If you think I'm being racist, well that's fine, but very few of those nations have any decent respect of Women's rights.

That's my major issue.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Didn't Anthony Hudson call it the Death Valley? I'd be happy with that. Better than selling your soul every five minutes. The day somebody sells naming rights to the G I'm going to go ballistic.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Would we have the same response if it was called the Qantas Dome?

What about if Etihad signed a 3 year / $5 mill sponsorship with us?

Jeld Wen ain't too flash IMHO.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
markp
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Would we have the same response if it was called the Qantas Dome?

What about if Etihad signed a 3 year / $5 mill sponsorship with us?

Jeld Wen ain't too flash IMHO.
Yes (although Qantas is easier to say at least!)

Fine.... we'd still be called St Kilda...

Jeld Wen Stadium would be farken awful too.....

mick13
Club Player

I reckon Skilled Stadium is one of the best names. It just rolls of the tongue beautifully.

I wish all grounds would just go back to their normal names.

Richter
SS Life Member

battye wrote:Etihad is too strange to call a stadium. Doesn't even mean anything to Australians.
THe fact that no-one's heard of Etihad - do you think perhaps that is why they have chosen to sponsor the Dome? Like part of the reason why Jeld Wen became involved with us?

I was in Abu Dhabi a few months ago - Etihad is the airline carrier for that Emirate. It's competitor is Emirates airline - and you know who they sponsor? Hehe....

Abu Dhabi one of the cities in the United Arab Emirates..... and it is a lovely place - chilled, beautiful palace, sophisticated, cultural and phenomenally rich.... compared to Dubai's brashness. A bit like Melbourne as compared to Sydney in it's understated cool.

P.s. I don't work for Etihad.....! but I was impressed with AD......

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
groupie1
Club Player

i like it

it's better than 'Australia's Most Corrupt, Least Efficient Company Dome'

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
stinger
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Oil money oval?

Sheik stadium?

rag dome....for the political incorrect....... :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Etihad :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Is that the airline that is allegedly owned by the Bin Laden family :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I wonder which of the tenant clubs Osama supports :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: !!

groupie1
Club Player

yeah... coz all the bin Ladens are terrorists, and all Arab companies support them

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Etihad :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Is that the airline that is allegedly owned by the Bin Laden family :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I wonder which of the tenant clubs Osama supports :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: !!
well...it was the airline that spirited the bin laden family out of america berfore anyone got a chance to "talk "to any of them

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
st_nick
Club Player

Richter wrote:
battye wrote:Etihad is too strange to call a stadium. Doesn't even mean anything to Australians.
THe fact that no-one's heard of Etihad - do you think perhaps that is why they have chosen to sponsor the Dome? Like part of the reason why Jeld Wen became involved with us?

I was in Abu Dhabi a few months ago - Etihad is the airline carrier for that Emirate. It's competitor is Emirates airline - and you know who they sponsor? Hehe....

Abu Dhabi one of the cities in the United Arab Emirates..... and it is a lovely place - chilled, beautiful palace, sophisticated, cultural and phenomenally rich.... compared to Dubai's brashness. A bit like Melbourne as compared to Sydney in it's understated cool.

P.s. I don't work for Etihad.....! but I was impressed with AD......
I had heard of them.. :P
But yes, I certainly imagine a big part of it is to get the name out there as they are mostly unknown in Australia.