Cousins Eligible for 2009 - With Saints Response

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

busso mick
Club Player

ace wrote:Cousin's should jump at the chance to take the urine tests.
Imagine being able to give piss to Andrew Demetriou 3 times a week and NOT get fined.
On the flip side, you could say that AD is taking the piss out of Cousins.

Pilgram
Club Player

Quixote
SS Life Member

Official response from Lions coach, Michael Voss:

"We only have the decisions we have at that circumstance of time to decide, and the only path we can decide depends on the circumstances of the decisions we have for any particular path at any given time to decide.

I'm Michael Voss".

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Quixote
SS Life Member

busso mick wrote:
ace wrote:Cousin's should jump at the chance to take the urine tests.
Imagine being able to give piss to Andrew Demetriou 3 times a week and NOT get fined.
On the flip side, you could say that AD is taking the piss out of Cousins.

:lol: 8-)

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:You would think with all the required drug tests and medical checks that Ben will be subjected to that it would be much more difficult to facilitate this if he is based in Brisbane .. eg additional costs flying the AFL drug testers and medical experts to Brisbane on a regular basis ..
afl has no say in where he goes.

Pilgram
Club Player

Quixote wrote:Official response from Lions coach, Michael Voss:

"We only have the decisions we have at that circumstance of time to decide, and the only path we can decide depends on the circumstances of the decisions we have for any particular path at any given time to decide.

I'm Michael Voss".
:lol: PMSL

"I'm not going to make a comment at this stage except to say that I have no further comment"
- Michael Voss.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Pilgram wrote:

I'm Michael Voss".
:lol: PMSL

"I'm not going to make a comment at this stage except to say that I have no further comment"
- Michael Voss.
:lol: Glad you enjoyed

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:my question to the commission is

why are those on two strikes not copping similar drug testing?

but anyway, congrats to benny. Final chance and I hope he takes it, puts his head down and finishes his career in a great way no matter who he plays for
because Dimwit's middle name is Hypocrite - however you spell that word!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintm
Club Player

Has there been any statements/comments from either Ben Cousins or Ricky Nixon as yet??

Legendary
Club Player

Mark Robinson said on the Herald Sun website chat that he believes Ben Cousins' preference is to play with St Kilda.

Mike Sheahan said that even the Saints still have reservations about drafting Ben.

Quixote
SS Life Member

saintm wrote:Has there been any statements/comments from either Ben Cousins or Ricky Nixon as yet??
Nothing yet.

Prolly be a day or two.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintm
Club Player

Quixote wrote:
saintm wrote:Has there been any statements/comments from either Ben Cousins or Ricky Nixon as yet??
Nothing yet.

Prolly be a day or two.
Thanks Quixote.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I'm Michael Voss".

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Mark Robinson said on the Herald Sun website chat that he believes Ben Cousins' preference is to play with St Kilda.

Mike Sheahan said that even the Saints still have reservations about drafting Ben.
I find that very hard to believe, I think that Lyon is salivating from 2 different organs at the thought of having Cousins in his lineup...

If we do great Benny it really will be an extraordinary midfield wont it... Hayes, Cousins, Ball, Goddard, Dal Santo, Montagna... wow!!

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I listened to the Press Conference and have a question.

Who is paying for the 3 times a week Urine Test and 4 times per year Hair Test?
I'm pretty sure I heard/read that each of these tests costs $1000 so you're looking at a bill of $150,000 per year for drug testing Cousins.

Are the Club who drafts him responsible for paying this or are the AFL picking up the tab?

Legendary
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
Legendary wrote:Mark Robinson said on the Herald Sun website chat that he believes Ben Cousins' preference is to play with St Kilda.

I find that very hard to believe, I think that Lyon is salivating from 2 different organs at the thought of having Cousins in his lineup...

If we do great Benny it really will be an extraordinary midfield wont it... Hayes, Cousins, Ball, Goddard, Dal Santo, Montagna... wow!!
It's not Ross Lyon or the football department that have reservations.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Who could it be then?
The current board got in on their 'footy first' ticket and to me that would indicate they would love to get a brownlow medalist on board...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Who could it be then?
The current board got in on their 'footy first' ticket and to me that would indicate they would love to get a brownlow medalist on board...
Sponsers I assume?

Can't see it being a bad thing to be honest. The club Cousins goes to will suddenly attract quite a few extra viewers each week. A regular boring sunday afternoon game between *** and West Coast will suddenly become a season blockbuster.

saintm
Club Player

From the Herald Sun

AFLPA unhappy with conditions

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

With regards to the above point from SaintBot re sponsors - there was an article yesterday which said that both the Lions and Saints would discuss the matter with their sponsors before drafting him.

from The Age - Saints, Lions will consult sponsors if Cousins cleared to play

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 58003.html
Last edited by saintm on Tue 18 Nov 2008 5:27pm, edited 2 times in total.

Megamaguire
Club Player

We can help support Ben Couisins

We can help Ben settle back into a more normal existance and play outside the fish bowl. The tests are intrusive however if Ben feels he has a shot of proving the afl wrong for the rest of his playing career he can successfully reinvent himself @ St. Kilda.
I remember that game @ the Dome in late 2007 when he singlehandedly ended our finals push. He looked brillient that night and he can again in the red, white and black.
What is more important he would be coming to play with a very well settled and steady player group that have been creating a pretty positive culture for themselves bar a grand final appearance et..

Come on board Ben i believe the Cousins era can continue in a very positive manner @ St.Kilda. 60+ positive games would be a great emotional bonus for all concerned.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

AFLPA = whinging grizzle guts Benny Gale

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
docsaint
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:I listened to the Press Conference and have a question.

I'm pretty sure I heard/read that each of these tests costs $1000 so you're looking at a bill of $150,000 per year for drug testing Cousins.

Are the Club who drafts him responsible for paying this or are the AFL picking up the tab?
urine drug screen is approx 20 - 30 dollars
don't know about hair testing costs

markinUSA
SS Life Member

The way I read the statement from the AFL, it said he CAN have tests three times a week, not that he WILL have tests three times a week. In other words, there MAY be weeks when they come back more than once, and he is on notice that that MAY happen, but I'd suspect it probably won't... not every week at least.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not. But that was the way I read their statement.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

docsaint wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I listened to the Press Conference and have a question.

urine drug screen is approx 20 - 30 dollars
don't know about hair testing costs
Thanks for the info.
I don't know where I got that figure of $1000 from? Maybe that's what the Drug Testers from ASADA/WADA charge the AFL?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:The way I read the statement from the AFL, it said he CAN have tests three times a week, not that he WILL have tests three times a week. In other words, there MAY be weeks when they come back more than once, and he is on notice that that MAY happen, but I'd suspect it probably won't... not every week at least.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not. But that was the way I read their statement.
I agree, I read it in a similar way to you...that he may have "up to" so many tests a week.