ST KILDA DECIDES NOT TO PROCEED WITH BEN COUSINS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shades
Club Player

Quixote wrote:I can only think this is a massive, massive opportunity lost tonight.

yep bull crap

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:We have been interested all this time,
then at the last min change of mind
How stupid!
And they still want Hack Carrol!
We were interested we never said we were going to take him so technically they didn't change their mind, they just made up a decision after a lengthy process.

As for Carrol he is going to be a lot cheaper and could potentially serve as a useful backup.

I also assume that you don't know all the issues involved with Ben's comeback and are not in a position to decide whether or not it was the right decision.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
falka
Club Player

I'm so pissed off right now.
There must be so much more to this decision then we know.
Hoping like hell its just the ultimate furphy and he nominates and we pick him up late and say we were joking.
If I hear its anything to do with sponsors, I will boycott them
If it was all football department, I will support it.
If he blazes next year for say the Lions, I will cry

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

If we get carroll i will be absolutely disgusted

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:We will get a young player and they wont play for years and probaly get axed in a few years time
Well we'll never know which young player it will be because we don't know which one of our picks we would have used it on and I assume that it will be a mystery forever more, would hate to have a young player come into the club with the pressure of knowing he took a brownlow medalist's spot.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

very happy

i believe cousins didnt shave his head for no reason, he used to love his hair, and he just went and shaved it all off to under 3cm :?

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Shades
Club Player

What happened to footy 1st?

Saints94
SS Life Member

He would add class and speed :P ....... but now :evil: s*** call st.kilda :x

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

F#$!%^&$ IDIOTS !!!!

that is all I have to say on this.....

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
markp
Saintsational Legend

Unforgivable error and gutless decision by the board... "too hard".

They'd better pray he doesn't get picked up and have a blinder next year.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:very happy

i believe cousins didnt shave his head for no reason, he used to love his hair, and he just went and shaved it all off to under 3cm :?
Didn't he pass the hair test like a week earlier, I would be very very shocked if he shaved his head to avoid getting a drug test.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: ST KILDA DECIDES NOT TO PROCEED WITH BEN COUSINS

Saints Media wrote:Saints CEO, Archie Fraser said, "We owed it to ourselves to undertake a rigorous and thorough review and have now made our decision. This is a decision that we didn't take lightly and we still believe that for the right Club, Ben could well be a great opportunity."
For the right club? So, in short, he's good to go for another club?

That should have been us Archie. The board has badly, badly screwed up here. Big time. And they should have the balls to re-consider their position should he be around for the PSD.

Our midfield was crying out for a guy who could make us competitive. Now we are stuck with a list of too few quality midfielders and not enough young talent to take their place.

I seriously, seriously hope Cousins rips it up with whoever he plays with next year - and when he tears our midfield a new arsehole in a preliminary final, I'll be f****** furious.

We had a chance to shine here and we ballsed it. We had a chance to show our club culture was mature enough to handle someone like Ben. We had a chance to get the best from him - and for our questionable youth to gleam something.

We had a chance. And we ballsed it.

Incredibly deflating - after the stab in the heart with the membership bungles, this club is seriously testing my patience.
Last edited by evertonfc on Tue 25 Nov 2008 8:36pm, edited 4 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Obviously the club knows best and there are reasons for this decision.
However getting the hopes of the supporters up and then disappointing the majority of them is poor form.

older saint
SS Life Member

We will never know the full story however i would hope as members we receive information which is more than the press release which has been issued.

Financially I am sure there has been much spent in "due diligence" to come to this decision . As a paid up member we deserve at least a reasonable explanation as to how the decision was reached to re assure people the competency of the board.

I thought on prima facie he was worth the risk with no downside if marketing spin was handled correctly.

It does appear that the plan is based on a premiership in a few years definitely and if it occurs earlier then it will be a steal .

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
saintdooley wrote:very happy

Didn't he pass the hair test like a week earlier, I would be very very shocked if he shaved his head to avoid getting a drug test.
not hair i dont thnk. but u just cant take the rist with cousins, not worth it.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Obviously the club knows best and there are reasons for this decision.
However getting the hopes of the supporters up and then disappointing the majority of them is poor form.
Don't worry being a saints supporter and having a chip on your shoulder go hand in hand, I'm sure that half the people complaining in this thread would have been just as angry had we took him...

I hope that Ben recovers well but I also hope that his playing days are over because I hate the arrogant prick...

Saints94
SS Life Member

Now we will most likley get the dud carroll :evil:

LennyBoy
Club Player

Gutless, insipid, unaccountable, predictable and pathetic decision by the club on this one. If we now go ahead and recruit reasoned hacks in trade week - I will be very very angry.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
Quixote
SS Life Member

Shady wrote:
Quixote wrote:I can only think this is a massive, massive opportunity lost tonight.

yep bull crap

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

So who is Number 9 next year?

So many here had him in it already...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:Now we will most likley get the dud carroll :evil:
Again Carroll is being called a dud, it's not the case, he was played out of his position in the worst backilne in the league.

He could be a very serviceable third tall in defence...

However one issue I have is that if they wont recruit Cousins because we're planning for the future than surely out of consistency you would think they wont recruit Carroll.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:So who is Number 9 next year?

So many here had him in it already...
Time to bring back Fraser again :roll: :roll:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

LennyBoy wrote:Gutless, insipid, unaccountable, predictable and pathetic decision by the club on this one. If we now go ahead and recruit reasoned hacks in trade week - I will be very very angry.
at last we agree on something!

....all this after forking over Level 2 non Social Club members.

Are you running the Gulag Archie?? :twisted: :evil:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

155 users online, will we break the 244 mark set after GT's dismissal?!?!

sax
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Let's get the conspiracy theories happening :)
Perhaps we are doing this so Brisbane think that they have him secured in the PSD and we can use our last ND pick on him instead of having to waste a 3rd rounder??
I'm sick of all this crap with St Kilda! :x
I'm going to cancel my membership!
30 years I've been a supporter!
NOT ANYMORE!
The hair that has broken the camels back! :evil: