The "OFFICIAL" Draft thread !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:SrR - spot on.

Our greatest weakness against the big boys in the finals was the midfield.

Where will our improvement come from next year?

Steven? Armo? Ray? All good young players but surely not game breakers.

Dissapointed and the missing of Cousins will hurt big time. But thats the way the mop flops.
Yes...though I do not mid our picks as they are mainly addressing areas of weakness....and when you look where they were taken no really good mids were there....except possibly Blease...but he is an outside mid.

Key Defender/forward

Medium Half forward...

With the ruckman..McEvey is perhaps a ruck forward...so another option in the pipeline is good.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We need to take two mids.......and another in the rookie draft...

We need two outside mids, so taking them late is not a bad idea.....the dominating inside mids dominate early....

DeBoer would be nice at 63

mick13
Club Player

De Boer, O Keefe, McGarry (would love another Beda boy)

ANy of them would be good.

Walters and Gaertner still there. Doubt we'll take Stevey G though.

There goes Walters.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:who did we get in 2nd round?
Farren Ray

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Heyne certainly has a nice left foot on him. Long raking kick. Nice mover. Seems like he can kick with both feet, a rarity with a left footer.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i have heard all of this comotion about jackson trengrove yet he has not been drafted???

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Richter
SS Life Member

Liking the look of Lynch on youtube

Looks like a well built KPP (but probably 3rd Tall at AFL level) who has some mongrel, can crumb his own knock downs. Exactly the sort of player to provide us with an alternative forward option. Like it.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
mick13
Club Player

Cos he doesnt exist. Trengove went pick 15-20, I cant remember.

JeffDunne

This is a question for anyone who knows about these players (not what they've read in the papers or on Bigfooty):

Are we drafting for need or BPA?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well it is vital that Ball in particular stands up.

Then X to "come of age".

Without this too....plus Ray improving our midfield will be behind the hawks and Cats.

Armo...has been with us long enough that he will need to show more.

mick13
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:This is a question for anyone who knows about these players (not what they've read in the papers or on Bigfooty):

Are we drafting for need or BPA?
I dont know s*** but I doubt we're taking the BPA. Stanley sounds like a surprise.

Nick_Stone29
Club Player

Nick Heyne

Gippsland Power / Orbost-Snowy Rovers FC
22/7/90, 188.2cm, 79.1kgs

A versatile player, Nick can rotate through the midfield
providing strong run or push forward with his good goal sense and strong hands over head.
His raking left foot kick is also a feature of his game.

Nick was one of Gippsland Powers’ best players in 2008 playing 14 matches and averaging
18 possessions, six marks and over two goals per game. He booted 37 goals for the season,
ranking him fourth in the TAC Cup.

He was standout in round 9 against Queensland booting seven goals and again in Round 17
against Sandringham where his bag of five helped Gippsland to a seven-point victory.

Nick represented Vic County at the 2008 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships, ranking fourth
overall in the carnival for both inside 50’s and score assists.

His best performance at the Championships came in Vic Country’s narrow loss to Vic Metro
in the carnival opener at the MCG where he gathered 19 disposals – including six inside 50s
seven marks and booted two goals.

Dominant for Vic Country at the 2006 NAB AFL Under 16 Championships, he was the
carnivals leading goal kicker with 11, including a bag of five against South Australia.

A strong performance at the NAB AFL Draft Camp saw him rank highly in the 20-metre
sprint and vertical jump tests.

Nick is a graduate of the AIS-AFL Academy.

Q&A

Who have been your key influences? Dad has been there from the word go. He was a pretty
handy footballer in his day and is a member of Sale’s Team of the Century after playing there
for three years. Adrian Hickmont at Gippsland was also a great help. He was so enthusiastic
and really pushed me.

Which AFL players do you watch or model yourself on? Probably Andrew Embley, when
I’m on a wing. An athletic type who can run both ways and can take marks. When I’m
forward, probably Steve Johnson.

What would your coaches and teammates say your strengths are? Speed, marking and a
penetrating kick. I can pop up from anywhere, so maybe ‘x-factorish’. I like the pressure
situations.

What motivates you to be an AFL footballer? I grew up around football and watching
fellow Orbost boys Michael and Brett Voss go through the ranks and watching what they’ve
achieved.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Well it is vital that Ball in particular stands up.

Then X to "come of age".

Without this too....plus Ray improving our midfield will be behind the hawks and Cats.

Armo...has been with us long enough that he will need to show more.
Yeah - X and Luke need to step up. Club putting faith in our current mids.

Will be interesting who we select with the final three.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mick13
Club Player

Alistair Smith.

Anyone know anything? Not relying on these SEN guys, they didnt know whether it was Trengrove or Trengove.

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:i have heard all of this comotion about jackson trengrove yet he has not been drafted???
Yep went to Port at pcik 22!

Go saints in '09!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Smith - the quick mid

chook23
Saintsational Legend

midfield/speedy

Alistar smith

saint4life
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Alastair Smith - midfielder with good speed apparently.

Lance or James??

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

mick13 wrote:Alistair Smith.

Anyone know anything? Not relying on these SEN guys, they didnt know whether it was Trengrove or Trengove.
Medium midfielder who possesses pace and good skills by foot on his preferred left side. Outstanding athlete whjo posed 2.80sec for 20m and a 16-plus beep test at state level but restricted due to injury at Draft Camp. He still showed some of his athletic capabilities with top-10 rankings in repeat sprints and standing vertical jump tests. Was a WA U18 representative at the 2008 NAB AFL U18 Championships. From Northam JFC.

STATS
Kicks: 8, Handballs: 2, Disposals: 10, Marks: 3, Goals: 0 (Averages from U18 Championships)

Quixote
SS Life Member

Pick 62, Alistair Smith:

BIO
Medium midfielder who possesses pace and good skills by foot on his preferred left side. Outstanding athlete whjo posed 2.80sec for 20m and a 16-plus beep test at state level but restricted due to injury at Draft Camp. He still showed some of his athletic capabilities with top-10 rankings in repeat sprints and standing vertical jump tests. Was a WA U18 representative at the 2008 NAB AFL U18 Championships. From Northam JFC.

STATS
Kicks: 8, Handballs: 2, Disposals: 10, Marks: 3, Goals: 0 (Averages from U18 Championships)

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

STATS

Go saints in '09!
Richter
SS Life Member

Heyne seems to be slight, but able to break some tackles. Quick. Decent kick, but some technique issues - be good to see him learn a bit off Nick Dal S re kicking.

Interesting.

(From youtube vision)

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

s.hite we are stacking up the left footed mids.

Dal
Jones
Heyne
Smith

Lance or James??

Quixote
SS Life Member

Hawthorn have taken MORE talls.

The Cats have stolen Motlop from Port!

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
JeffDunne

joffaboy wrote:s.hite we are stacking up the left footed mids.
Is that a problem? :?