Youth policy...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Youth policy...

I reckon this will be the shortest lived thread, but here goes...

After all the accusations and hysterical recations to the Board's reason for not picking up Cousins... Strategic long term list management...

They're all suits and liars and weak etc...

And given that we didn't pick up Caroll...

And given our drafting today... and the Fact tha Ray is also under 23...

Who's gunna be the first to acknowledge the club's good work... and the fact that they ARE turning to youth in the last uncompromised draft for the next few years...

Any apologies forthcoming?

And I'm not refering to if we should have got BC or not. I'm refering to all the name calling and accusations that the club was lying.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Youth policy...

WayneJudson42 wrote:I reckon this will be the shortest lived thread, but here goes...After all the accusations and hysterical recations to the Board's reason for not picking up Cousins... Strategic long term list management...

And given our draftin today... and the Fact tha Ray is also under 23...

Who's gunna be the first to acknowledge the club's good work... and the fact that they ARE turning youth?

And I'm not refering if we should have got BC or not. I;m refering to all the name calling and accusations that the club was lying.
Thread locked

:wink:

Bring back the Lockett era
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Each and every one of them will be "pointing the finger" elsewhere !!

mick13
Club Player

Im pretty sure next years draft is the last draft before the GC arse rapes the picks for the next few years.

RBnW
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:I reckon this will be the shortest lived thread, but here goes...

After all the accusations and hysterical recations to the Board's reason for not picking up Cousins... Strategic long term list management...

Who's gunna be the first to acknowledge the club's good work... and the fact that they ARE turning to youth in the last uncompromised draft for the next few years...

And I'm not refering to if we should have got BC or not. I'm refering to all the name calling and accusations that the club was lying.
Where is Barks.....I am sure he can turn this into an Elsternwick anti Seaford thread......come on Barks.......or a roll the Board thread...... :P
We are quick to jump on them......but they have gone for youth as they said this week......no Benny or Carroll.... :D ......Ray plus Dempster and Schnieder from last year shows that Ross the boss has got a plan to get Rooie and the group a Flag...... :D :D
Finally a plan we can all follow..... :idea: :)

Our best is yet
to come......
Solar
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:Im pretty sure next years draft is the last draft before the GC arse rapes the picks for the next few years.
I'm pretty sure next year is the first draft GC will be in, they will stockpile and play in the TAC cup till 2011?

on the actual thread, I believe we have done very well. Getting rid of list cloggers in birss, fiora, howard, rix, etc. and bought in some exciting 18-19 year olds

Long term success, lets play finals for the next 5 - 7 year

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Legendary
Club Player

Since Lyon has come on board, we have acquired the following players under the age of 23 (to senior list):

David Armitage
Brad Howard (delisted)
Jarryd Allen
Robert Eddy
Jarryn Geary
Clinton Jones
Sean Dempster
Ben McEvoy
Jack Steven
Eljay Connors
Tom Lynch
Rhys Stanley
Nick Heyne
Alistair Smith
Paul Cahill
Colm Begley

In addition, these <23 players were already at the club:

Andrew McQualter
Raphael Clarke
Sam Gilbert
Leigh Fisher
Brendon Goddard
James Gwilt

Fair indication of a preference for youth I would think ...

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:I reckon this will be the shortest lived thread, but here goes...

Where is Barks.....I am sure he can turn this into an Elsternwick anti Seaford thread......come on Barks.......or a roll the Board thread...... :P
He's very busy getting his "elsternwickpark to advantage" ticket ready to challenge at the next AGM !!

Batnoe

if i was good enough to play AFL i would had to play for GC as it meant i wouldnt be able to play against real AFL players, what type of development is this? dont you learn the game by playing against the bigger faster stronger bodies?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Solar wrote:I'm pretty sure next year is the first draft GC will be in, they will stockpile and play in the TAC cup till 2011?
Gold coast isn't in next year's draft except in the same manner they were in this year's. The issue next year is the changing of the draft age. That means 2010, when GC has all the picks, should be loaded with extra players.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
RBnW
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
RBnW wrote:

He's very busy getting his "elsternwickpark to advantage" ticket ready to challenge at the next AGM !!
Yes he is planning a secret meeting... :wink: dont tell anyone... 8-) ...it will be held in the Phone Booth in Glenhuntly Rd Elsternwick, not far from the new proposed site for the Elstrnwick Saints....the campagn will be "if Obama can do it why not Me".... everyone is welcome there will be lots of room for anyone interested in joining his ticket.......When the Amo's find out about his plot to take Elsternwick Park from them they will kidnap him and take him to Bulla for the season......Barks watch out for Land Rovers following you around...and men in tweed jackets with leather patches on the elbows...and biege cords and brown shoes....they are on to you......you are only a lift ticket away from never watching another Saints game......the plan is to brainwash you into being a Dees fan......trouble is that this requires the provision of a brain being located somewhere within the body......could be a challenge.... :roll:

Our best is yet
to come......
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

IIRC it wasn't just B4E slagging off at the board. 8-)

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
sainter35
Club Player

We all crave success and we all have our own opinions on the best way to achieve that.

That's the nature of supporting a club with 30,000 members and 400,000 supporters across the country.

It might be OK for some but we all can't just sit here and support every decision our club makes. Sure, we elect the board but we also have every right to make them accountable as well.

This place was full of people who wanted Cousins and the second the Saints decided against selecting him everybody was prepared to wash their hands of him and back the board.

As far as I'm concerned he would have been a massive acquisition for our midfield and with the professionalism of the club these days he would have received the support that he needed. It was always going to be a risk but one worth taking in my opinion.

In response to your thread Wayne, what I took offence at was Archie trying to sell to us that the reason we didn't recruit Ben was because of the youth policy. None of us know the exact reason why the decision was made and we'll most likely never know but to me I can't accept that explanation whilst having a 28 year old battling his own demons training with us (pardon the pun). Why have somebody train with you if you had no intention of drafting him? I'm not going to change my opinion and feel like I have to sheepishly post in a thread to appease the likes of you either .

As for Barks4eva, I don't know him personally but he sits in the same aisle as me at Telstra Dome and is at every single home game.

Look it's great that there's a bunch of regulars on here who are supportive of everything the club does but bare in mind that those of us who do have an opinion every now and again have so because we want success for our club.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

sainter35 wrote:We all crave success and we all have our own opinions on the best way to achieve that.

That's the nature of supporting a club with 30,000 members and 400,000 supporters across the country.

It might be OK for some but we all can't just sit here and support every decision our club makes. Sure, we elect the board but we also have every right to make them accountable as well.

This place was full of people who wanted Cousins and the second the Saints decided against selecting him everybody was prepared to wash their hands of him and back the board.

As far as I'm concerned he would have been a massive acquisition for our midfield and with the professionalism of the club these days he would have received the support that he needed. It was always going to be a risk but one worth taking in my opinion.

In response to your thread Wayne, what I took offence at was Archie trying to sell to us that the reason we didn't recruit Ben was because of the youth policy. None of us know the exact reason why the decision was made and we'll most likely never know but to me I can't accept that explanation whilst having a 28 year old battling his own demons training with us (pardon the pun). Why have somebody train with you if you had no intention of drafting him? I'm not going to change my opinion and feel like I have to sheepishly post in a thread to appease the likes of you either .

As for Barks4eva, I don't know him personally but he sits in the same aisle as me at Telstra Dome and is at every single home game.

Look it's great that there's a bunch of regulars on here who are supportive of everything the club does but bare in mind that those of us who do have an opinion every now and again have so because we want success for our club.

I somewhat doubt if the place "was full of people wanting Cousins"

It was the same posters that kept on repeating it from thread to thread...

even going to the extreme of posting him in our line up for next year FFS..

To me it was just a repetitious monologue of the same posters that gave the impression that the majority of posters or fans were agreeing with the idea...

I was fairly quiet on the Cousins situation, but have stated before the Club made its decision, that I had my reservations on the matter...

But some on here IMO were out of control in their beliefs that BC was the answer to a premiership, and gee, I was well restrained not to respond to such a ridiculous statement...

I just don't understand your comment about the 28 year old training with us, and in your belief we had no intentions of drafting him....

Yeah, righto...

We grab hold of Carroll and say come train with us (but in the back of their minds they think nah we don't want you)...

I see it this way...

Collingwood's final selection in the draft was to select Leigh Brown (ex North Melbourne), that was their final selection...

So did Collingwood ask Colm Begley to train with them with no intentions to select him???

One would think that when Leigh Brown was selected, and the Saints knowing it was their last pick, decided on Begley instead of Carroll...

It was not that the Club NEVER intended to select him it's just that in the Club's mind they thought that Begley would be a better option than Carroll

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!