Inside word from draft day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

boneless23
Club Player

Inside word from draft day

Just spoke to a mate who was sitting on an opposition clubs recruiting table and he said that the particular clubs recruiters were extremely suprised when they heard Tom Lynch's name being read out at 13. He said it was the major suprise of the draft.

The majority of recruiters saw him in the 20-30 bracket. Supposedly they saw him as a good lead up player but lacking the strength and skill level of some of the other key forwards available.

Lets hope our recruiting staff saw something in Tom that others missed.

Conversely, the common opinion was that we scored a steal with Nick Heyne. On the particular clubs internal draft list he was listed in the early 20's. They didn't know a great deal about Rhys Stanley but seemed to think he was a pretty rare athete for a bloke his size.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we've been very lame in the draft for the last 3 yrs. Potential is one thing and ability is another

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Now it's all about development...

Legendary
Club Player

Great draft from the Saints IMO.

Scored in Lynch and Heyne two guys who both have the ability to be very good footballers.

In Stanley we scored a great ruck prospect.

In Smith and Cahill we scored a mid with great skills and pace, and a tall with great marking ability and pace.

Heyne an absolute steal.

undecided
Club Player

who else was available at the time???????

How was Paul Cahill rated, he looks a bit like buddy if u ask me. except he can kick

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

WTF happened to Walters? #53 ?!?!

Surely with blokes like X and Raph around he would have flourished?

boneless23
Club Player

The word on Walters is that he not quick enough to play the role most think he is suited....

Two more observations were that this club wouldn't have touched Sidebottom with a pole....too one paced and would be shown up at AFL level. Also, there was an audible laugh around the room when Leigh Brown got picked up by Collingwood.

Saintersss
Club Player

Aaron Cornerlius was around at our 3rd round picks... Was pretty dissapointed we didn't pick him up, but Heyne was a great pick up.
Lynch seems ok, we probably could have done better though.
Paul Cahill seems alright for his pick. Could develop into a decent forward.
Don't really know anything about Smith or Begley and Stanley looks pretty good.
Also Deboer and Sibossado weren't picked up, both rated as good players. Would've like to get Sibossado.
Last edited by Saintersss on Sat 29 Nov 2008 2:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

So by the "he was an absolute steal" factor...Allen needs to get on his bike this year

I well remember exactly the same thing being said about him on draft day :-)

Happy with Lynch..everyones been screaming for a 3rd marking tall all year and he looks to have been picked to fill that role

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
boneless23
Club Player

Cornelius interviewed terribley and it turned a lot of clubs off

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

boneless23 wrote:Cornelius interviewed terribley and it turned a lot of clubs off
That maybe, but I really can't see any reason for a club to go off a player because of that...

If he can kick and run and play good football, surely that is the main criteria...

Just how well did Nicky Winmar go with interviews???

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Batnoe

seems to me there will be some depth in pre season of rookie draft as well

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

They couldn't have been that surprised considering it was tipped in the age this morning.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:So by the "he was an absolute steal" factor...Allen needs to get on his bike this year

I well remember exactly the same thing being said about him on draft day :-)

Happy with Lynch..everyones been screaming for a 3rd marking tall all year and he looks to have been picked to fill that role
From what I have seen he has plenty of aggression too (remember a bloke named Hamill). That should please rogerwa and others !!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Inside word from draft day

boneless23 wrote:Just spoke to a mate who was sitting on an opposition clubs recruiting table and he said that the particular clubs recruiters were extremely suprised when they heard Tom Lynch's name being read out at 13. He said it was the major suprise of the draft.

The majority of recruiters saw him in the 20-30 bracket. Supposedly they saw him as a good lead up player but lacking the strength and skill level of some of the other key forwards available.

Lets hope our recruiting staff saw something in Tom that others missed.

Conversely, the common opinion was that we scored a steal with Nick Heyne. On the particular clubs internal draft list he was listed in the early 20's. They didn't know a great deal about Rhys Stanley but seemed to think he was a pretty rare athete for a bloke his size.

well the herald sun had him going to melbourbe at pick 17 and emma quale had him going to us....

"13 ST KILDA
TOM LYNCH
VITAL INFORMATION 17, from Sandringham Dragons. 192 centimetres, 85 kilograms. A bustling forward with midfield potential.
THE RATIONALE The Saints don't have a lot of forward-line depth. Jarryd Allen is their only true young, marking forward. Picking Lynch allows them to start building up some depth. If he doesn't work there, he becomes a powerful midfield option.
THE COMPLICATION The Saints also need some midfield speed, and have been linked to Sam Blease for a few months now. He is a big chance to get picked here too. Lewis Johnston is another possibility if available"

matt burgen also had him going to us....no big surprise to me.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
karnaby
Club Player

As this seems to have turned into a Lynch thread I'll add this here.

Colin Wiseby rates him in his top 10 & he is someone who has long proven to have a fair bit of knowledge about the draft.

http://www.voy.com/51976/36362.html

1. Naitanui
2. Swift
3. Watts
4. Hill
5. Yarran
6. Rich
7. Lynch
8. Hartlett
9. Hurley
10. Ziebell

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

karnaby wrote:As this seems to have turned into a Lynch thread I'll add this here.

Colin Wiseby rates him in his top 10 & he is someone who has long proven to have a fair bit of knowledge about the draft.

http://www.voy.com/51976/36362.html

1. Naitanui
2. Swift
3. Watts
4. Hill
5. Yarran
6. Rich
7. Lynch
8. Hartlett
9. Hurley
10. Ziebell
Now I feel a lot better.

undecided
Club Player

he may of been a second round pick but we didn't have 1 and he was considered a priority so its not a bad decission

Batnoe

we lacked a third tall option, after Kosi and Roo we have no tall forward options... this is what we needed

With Ray and Begley to the club it means one or both of Goddard and Gram can use their speed and long kicking in the midfield- where we lack a lot of it, so those players fill those spots nicley.

Nice recruiting

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I'm falling for the same tricks as I have in previous years...
I didn't think of recruiting King as recruiting a 29 year old ruckman, I thought of it as recruiting a 24 y/o power forward in Kosi who wouldn't be wasted in the ruck any longer.

Now I think the same of Begley, we haven't recruited an average backman, we have recruited a potential gun midfielder in Gram... It's all about perspective...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
boneless23
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:we lacked a third tall option, after Kosi and Roo we have no tall forward options... this is what we needed
I feel for Jarryd Allen then as if this is the case, the club aren't showing a lot of confidence in his development.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I'm falling for the same tricks as I have in previous years...
I didn't think of recruiting King as recruiting a 29 year old ruckman, I thought of it as recruiting a 24 y/o power forward in Kosi who wouldn't be wasted in the ruck any longer.

Now I think the same of Begley, we haven't recruited an average backman, we have recruited a potential gun midfielder in Gram... It's all about perspective...
Yeah, good point, but he has been training for Collingwood, and a pretty astute coach in Mick Malthouse bypassed him in favour of Leigh Brown with their last selection...

I just hope he proves Malthouse wrong

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
BradWA
Club Player

boneless23 wrote:The word on Walters is that he not quick enough to play the role most think he is suited....

Two more observations were that this club wouldn't have touched Sidebottom with a pole....too one paced and would be shown up at AFL level. Also, there was an audible laugh around the room when Leigh Brown got picked up by Collingwood.
have seen Walters play for 2 years is and will be a great player at AFL has pace and amazing skill plus is tough.
To see him and Neville Jetta tear Perth a new one in the colts GF was amazing seeing it was pissing down .
Good the Dockers have him because he is staying home for Swans.

The Moderator Nazi,s strike again, Oh forgot, shyt im not in the purple circle.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
boneless23 wrote:Cornelius interviewed terribley and it turned a lot of clubs off
That maybe, but I really can't see any reason for a club to go off a player because of that...

If he can kick and run and play good football, surely that is the main criteria...

and Rioli from last years draft........

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
boneless23
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

and Rioli from last years draft........
Yeah maybe but the recruiters view was that he didn't seem like he had his heart in it all and came across as not a good kid. With all the successes you mention there are shed load more kids like Billly Morrison, Lawrence Angwin and even Rod Owen where the gamble on talent alone hasn't paid off....thats why they conduct the interviews.