Inside word from draft day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

boneless23 wrote:
Batnoe wrote:we lacked a third tall option, after Kosi and Roo we have no tall forward options... this is what we needed
I feel for Jarryd Allen then as if this is the case, the club aren't showing a lot of confidence in his development.
One of the factors for our lack of success was that we were forced to play players who didn't deserve a game.

Competition for a spot is the best way to develop a player. It's now Allen's call.

Win-win for the club IMO.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Batnoe

WayneJudson42 wrote:
boneless23 wrote:
Batnoe wrote:we lacked a third tall option, after Kosi and Roo we have no tall forward options... this is what we needed
I feel for Jarryd Allen then as if this is the case, the club aren't showing a lot of confidence in his development.
One of the factors for our lack of success was that we were forced to play players who didn't deserve a game.

Competition for a spot is the best way to develop a player. It's now Allen's call.

If Allen wants to play he has to step up, he is good enough if he believes in himself

a forward line like this could still work

HF Lynch, Roo, Allen
FF Milne, Kosi, Schneider

the best thing about that forward line is is that it is still young enough to be around for years and be very damaging

Next year they will be taking each others spots unless they both decide to play well in which case could be a real benefit for us

saintm
Club Player

boneless23 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
boneless23 wrote:Cornelius interviewed terribley and it turned a lot of clubs off
That maybe, but I really can't see any reason for a club to go off a player because of that...

If he can kick and run and play good football, surely that is the main criteria...

Just how well did Nicky Winmar go with interviews???
and Rioli from last years draft........
Yeah maybe but the recruiters view was that he didn't seem like he had his heart in it all and came across as not a good kid. With all the successes you mention there are shed load more kids like Billly Morrison, Lawrence Angwin and even Rod Owen where the gamble on talent alone hasn't paid off....thats why they conduct the interviews.
From listening to Cornelius speak on the news the other night, 2008 had been a fairly difficult year for him and perhaps that came across when he interviewed. He had played very well last year but was too young to be drafted and he discusses this in the article below.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/20 ... 1_afl.html

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Batnoe wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
boneless23 wrote:

If Allen wants to play he has to step up, he is good enough if he believes in himself

a forward line like this could still work

HF Lynch, Roo, Allen
FF Milne, Kosi, Schneider

the best thing about that forward line is is that it is still young enough to be around for years and be very damaging

Next year they will be taking each others spots unless they both decide to play well in which case could be a real benefit for us
I still have a question mark over Kosi at FF.

The good news is that we won't have to use a playmaker like BJ at FF.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

boneless23 wrote:The word on Walters is that he not quick enough to play the role most think he is suited....

Two more observations were that this club wouldn't have touched Sidebottom with a pole....too one paced and would be shown up at AFL level. Also, there was an audible laugh around the room when Leigh Brown got picked up by Collingwood.
:lol:

Yeah ok *coughs* *splutters*. U sound like you are after a few points for your CV boneless, dropping the old my mate who sits on an opposition table....wow. At least that gives u a line to drop on the gal at the local pub. She would be blown away by that. As I type this I am just noting the comment re: Sidebottom. I'll take that on board. Mate, the guy almost ran out of fingers trying to count the goals he kicked in the TAC GF. Pretty average wouldnt we all say?????

I'm pretty happy with that selection.....*coughs* *clears throat*. :roll:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:
boneless23 wrote:The word on Walters is that he not quick enough to play the role most think he is suited....

Two more observations were that this club wouldn't have touched Sidebottom with a pole....too one paced and would be shown up at AFL level. Also, there was an audible laugh around the room when Leigh Brown got picked up by Collingwood.

Yeah ok *coughs* *splutters*. U sound like you are after a few points for your CV boneless, dropping the old my mate who sits on an opposition table....wow. At least that gives u a line to drop on the gal at the local pub. She would be blown away by that. As I type this I am just noting the comment re: Sidebottom. I'll take that on board. Mate, the guy almost ran out of fingers trying to count the goals he kicked in the TAC GF. Pretty average wouldnt we all say?????

speaking of whispers- on the Fox sports review of the draft there was discussion about one club overhearing what the club next door where discussing about a possible draft- and they proceeded to pick him first :P

Ps re Allen- Reminder that Allen suffered a serious hip injury 8 minutes into a final- after finally recovering from an elbow injury from 2007.........
due for a serious U-turn of luck.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Viking3
Club Player

Saw Allen last week at DFO in Cheltenham. Was limping like a bloke who was a long way off playing. Didn't look at all comfortable.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
undecided
Club Player

i want Cahill to fill in for him, i like what i have seen from his vids on youtube. there a bit of buddy about him

linz
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
boneless23 wrote:Cornelius interviewed terribley and it turned a lot of clubs off
That maybe, but I really can't see any reason for a club to go off a player because of that...

If he can kick and run and play good football, surely that is the main criteria...

Just how well did Nicky Winmar go with interviews???
I wouldn't care if they spoke somalian with an inflexion. Just as long as they could handle and deliver the ball with some accuracy.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:Mate, the guy almost ran out of fingers trying to count the goals he kicked in the TAC GF. Pretty average wouldnt we all say?????

One game (especially at TAC cup level) does not make a Career.

How did Anzac Medalist Mark McGough go for you? Or for us, for that matter?

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

undecided wrote:i want Cahill to fill in for him, i like what i have seen from his vids on youtube. there a bit of buddy about him
I'm not putting all my faith in a number 71 draft pick.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote: Mate, the guy almost ran out of fingers trying to count the goals he kicked in the TAC GF. Pretty average wouldnt we all say?????

Has young Steele got 11 fingers JPB? :wink:

Who knows how these kids will turn out...proof will be in 4 years when we know who's made it and then we can read all the rubbish by the hindsight genuises.

What's your take on Leigh Brown, worth a punt for such a low pick or would you have preferred a bottom aged kid?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote: As I type this I am just noting the comment re: Sidebottom. I'll take that on board. Mate, the guy almost ran out of fingers trying to count the goals he kicked in the TAC GF. Pretty average wouldnt we all say?????

I would have been happy for Sidebottom to fall through to us, but I'm happy with who we got. But then again, every fan of every club should be optimistic now. It will take 2-4 years before we get a definitive answer on the abilities of this years crop !!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Yeah, good point, but he has been training for Collingwood, and a pretty astute coach in Mick Malthouse bypassed him in favour of Leigh Brown with their last selection...

I just hope he proves Malthouse wrong
With the Pie's decision I don;t think it was simply a case of which is the better player...but rather which player best suited their needs after their other picks.
Their picks 45/46 prodiced two players that can play flanks.

A point to remember though is that one in Brown (194cm, 101 kg and 27) is KPP and that the other in Begley (188cm, 83kg and 22) is a flanker (and potentially other roles).

The Pies are on record now as saying that they went for Brown as they wanteda KPP who can play down back (and who can also be switched forward).

So both could well suceed at their new clubs.

The Saints also looked at Carrol...for KPP....

But in the end we have taken several more young KPP's...and an experienced flanker in Begley.

This may also mean that Maguire after a couple of weeks of evaluation has shaped up ok.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="St Fidelius"][quote="Armoooo"]I'm falling for the same tricks as I have in previous years...
I didn't think of recruiting King as recruiting a 29 year old ruckman, I thought of it as recruiting a 24 y/o power forward in Kosi who wouldn't be wasted in the ruck any longer.

Now I think the same of Begley, we haven't recruited an average backman, we have recruited a potential gun midfielder in Gram... It's all about perspective...[/quote]

Yeah, good point, but he has been training for Collingwood, and a pretty astute coach in Mick Malthouse bypassed him in favour of Leigh Brown with their last selection...

I just hope he proves Malthouse wrong[/quote]

I suspect that Malthouse thought he was safe to save a pick for the pre-season draft and would take Begley as a Rookie.
Up yours filth! :P :P :P

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
boneless23
Club Player

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:

I would get that TB checked out mate, you are coughing way too much. You can take this infomation however you want but the only reason I didn't mention the club is that my mate doesn't want to jeopordise the somewhat envious postion he is in. I am sorry to have tried to post stuff that is actually interesting.... you sure showed me!!!

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote:
johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote: Mate, the guy almost ran out of fingers trying to count the goals he kicked in the TAC GF. Pretty average wouldnt we all say?????

Has young Steele got 11 fingers JPB? :wink:

Who knows how these kids will turn out...proof will be in 4 years when we know who's made it and then we can read all the rubbish by the hindsight genuises.

What's your take on Leigh Brown, worth a punt for such a low pick or would you have preferred a bottom aged kid?
Yeah good question. I guess it's the same old same old when it gets to low picks as to which direction u take. The understanding I have is that Brown was picked to play down back to assist the younger guys like N. Brown, O'Brien and Goldsack etc in developing as well as an insurance policy for Presti if he struggles and of course with Wakelin's retirement.

That being said it really is a glass half full situation as to whether a change of scenery may resurrect his career. His fitness needs to be at a premium for starters.

Scoop
Club Player

Viking3 wrote:Saw Allen last week at DFO in Cheltenham. Was limping like a bloke who was a long way off playing. Didn't look at all comfortable.
Has had an operation on his hip. Will take some time to come up.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
undecided wrote:i want Cahill to fill in for him, i like what i have seen from his vids on youtube. there a bit of buddy about him
How many threads has undecided said he thinks Cahill will be the next Buddy, but a better kick.

At pick 71 we have done well to get 50 ok games out of him let alone get the best forward in the comp...

From what I've seen of his Youtube vids he doesn't look that great to me...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
StSteven
Club Player

Ps re Allen- Reminder that Allen suffered a serious hip injury 8 minutes into a final- after finally recovering from an elbow injury from 2007.........
due for a serious U-turn of luck.
Can he take Kosi around the bend with him?

mick13
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:
Was expected to go second to third round according to the 'BF Experts'.

Usually you wouldn't expect much from a no.48 pick eh? But I think we're expecting something from Heyne, is similar to Cahill as they both dropped a lot.

Batnoe

Armoooo wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:
How many threads has undecided said he thinks Cahill will be the next Buddy, but a better kick.

At pick 71 we have done well to get 50 ok games out of him let alone get the best forward in the comp...

i agree, i hope he turns out alright, but his vision on you tube he took about 4 mins to line up for a goal after he took a mark where he was on his own!! that is Buddy esque

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:

i agree, i hope he turns out alright, but his vision on you tube he took about 4 mins to line up for a goal after he took a mark where he was on his own!! that is Buddy esque
Looked a bit too cool for school for me!!!

Just watching his body language after he kicked those very easy goals - don't get me wrong he is probably very talented but he looks like he has a few tickets on himself

Couple that with his comments on Roo and how he models himself on Buddy I think maybe a few of the senior players need to give him a bit of a ... welcome to AFL footy wake up call ..... if you know what I mean :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Batnoe wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:

Looked a bit too cool for school for me!!!

Just watching his body language after he kicked those very easy goals - don't get me wrong he is probably very talented but he looks like he has a few tickets on himself

Couple that with his comments on Roo and how he models himself on Buddy I think maybe a few of the senior players need to give him a bit of a ... welcome to AFL footy wake up call ..... if you know what I mean :twisted:
Tackling drills (NO bag) with Mesers Baker, Hayes, King, Koschitzke, Ball ???

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Tackling drills (NO bag) with Mesers Baker, Hayes, King, Koschitzke, Ball ???
Yes ... I think that should suffice quiet nicely .... with special guest appearances from A. Hamill and T. Lockett thrown in for good measure :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!