Permission to train list - updated Dec 8

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Eastern"]I thought I read somewhere that clubs need to pay those who train with them at this time of year. Can anyone confirm this? If it is the case, then we don't want them to train with us if we aren't serious about picking them up.[/quote]

Page 71
15. Uncontracted Player
Where an uncontracted listed or recently delisted (at the end of the last AFL Season) Player
trains with an AFL Club, the AFL Club shall pay the Player per week for each week the
Player trains at the AFL Club no less than the following:
2007 $535
2008 $575
2009 $595
2010 $615
2011 $635
If an AFL Club enters into a contract with the Player that covers the period the Player
trained with the Club and in respect to which the Player was entitled to receive payments
under this clause, the payments the Player was entitled to may be taken into account in part
satisfaction of the amounts due to the Player under the Player’s contract. An uncontracted
listed Player is entitled to the benefits set out in paragraph 9.2 of this Schedule B.

Page 63
9. Hospital and Medical Benefits Insurance
9.2 Any player, not being a Player under a playing contract with an AFL Club, who
participates in any practice Matches or training arranged by or on behalf of any AFL
Club shall be covered, at no cost to such player, for top medical and hospital
insurance and disability insurance and loss of wages to the same level as Players are
covered in accordance with the terms of this Agreement and/or the AFLPA private
health insurance program referred to in paragraph 9.1 above. The cost of such
insurance shall be met by the AFL Club. The relevant AFL Club shall advise each
such player in writing of the following:
(a) the name of the insurer/s;
(b) the level of cover;
(c) the expiry date of the policy;
(d) the name of the contact person at the Club to deal with matters relating to the
above insurance.

COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT
G:\Football Operations\CBA 2007-2011 - FINAL.doc

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Eastern wrote:I thought I read somewhere that clubs need to pay those who train with them at this time of year. Can anyone confirm this? If it is the case, then we don't want them to train with us if we aren't serious about picking them up.
Page 71
15. Uncontracted Player
Where an uncontracted listed or recently delisted (at the end of the last AFL Season) Player
trains with an AFL Club, the AFL Club shall pay the Player per week for each week the
Player trains at the AFL Club no less than the following:
2007 $535
2008 $575
2009 $595
2010 $615
2011 $635
If an AFL Club enters into a contract with the Player that covers the period the Player
trained with the Club and in respect to which the Player was entitled to receive payments
under this clause, the payments the Player was entitled to may be taken into account in part
satisfaction of the amounts due to the Player under the Player’s contract. An uncontracted
listed Player is entitled to the benefits set out in paragraph 9.2 of this Schedule B.

Page 63
9. Hospital and Medical Benefits Insurance
9.2 Any player, not being a Player under a playing contract with an AFL Club, who
participates in any practice Matches or training arranged by or on behalf of any AFL
Club shall be covered, at no cost to such player, for top medical and hospital
insurance and disability insurance and loss of wages to the same level as Players are
covered in accordance with the terms of this Agreement and/or the AFLPA private
health insurance program referred to in paragraph 9.1 above. The cost of such
insurance shall be met by the AFL Club. The relevant AFL Club shall advise each
such player in writing of the following:
(a) the name of the insurer/s;
(b) the level of cover;
(c) the expiry date of the policy;
(d) the name of the contact person at the Club to deal with matters relating to the
above insurance.

COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT
G:\Football Operations\CBA 2007-2011 - FINAL.doc
Pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeww !!

For a while there I thought I was going mad :roll: :wink: !!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

ace - it has been made clear that he will spend one week with richmond and then a week with stkilda. Since richmond are already training due to no finals it's not suprising he will train with richmond first.

agree with the fact that since we do not start training till the 17th there is no real rush to get permission.

pfiefer will be picked up as a rookie by carlton.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn and Geelong have nobody listed as yet either. Although Bulldogs who should start same day as us, have one player listed.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

ace wrote:What was all that talk of Niall McKeever coming to St Kilda.
Ricky Nixon has got him training at Richmond.
Richmond will get a much closer look at him than St Kilda and has it occurred to anyone that Richmond gets to pick BEFORE St Kilda.
IIRC Ricky said in his article last week that Niall was going to do a week's training with St. Kilda and another club (I think Richmond or Brisbane/Carlton he said). So he does a week with Richmond now, and then next week with us. I think that Meredith fella will probably do likewise. They are not eligible for the National Draft though, and go in as an International Rookie, which does not even count as an "official" rookie, as its part of the AFL expansion programme.

The Saints are coming!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The AFL wishes to advise the following unlisted players have been given permission to train with the following AFL clubs, as at today, Monday December 8.

Adelaide - Ricky Henderson (Trentham)

Brisbane Lions - Daniel Dzufer (Brisbane Lions), Phillip Smith (Brisbane Lions), Adam Spackman (Brisbane Lions rookie), Joel Tippett (Brisbane Lions)

Carlton - Greg Bentley (Port Adelaide), Lachie Hill (Carlton Rookie List), Sam Jacobs (Carlton Rookie List), Darren Pfeiffer (Carlton), Chris Johnson (Melbourne)

Collingwood - Bryce Carrol (Western Jets), Michael Gugliotta (Northern Territory), Toby Thoolen (Collingwood)

Essendon - Stuart Crameri (Bendigo Bombers), Hayden Skipworth (Bendigo Bombers)

Fremantle - Chris Smith (Fremantle)

Geelong - nil

Hawthorn - Nathan Batsanis (Box Hill Hawks), Jeff Garlett (Swan Districts), Kane Goodwin (Perth), Alex Grima (Hawthorn), Haydn Kiel (Brisbane Lions), Ben Kennedy (Sandringham Dragons), Lukas Markovic (Box Hill Hawks), Riley Milne (Murray Bushrangers), Gary Moss (Hawthorn), Cameron Pederson (Box Hill Hawks), Hugh Sandilands (Hawthorn), Ben Smithwick (Box Hill Hawks), Matthew Suckling (Hawthorn), Rhys O'Sullivan (Box Hill Hawks), Clancee Pearce (Swan Districts), Charlie Sharples (Sturt), Thomas Warby (Box Hill Hawks)

Melbourne - Tristan Francis (Gippsland Power), Daniel Hughes (Melbourne rookie 2007), Jordie McKenzie (Geelong Falcons), Sam O'Sullivan (Oakleigh Chargers), Dylan Ross (Claremont), Shane Tregear (Sandringham), Marcus White (Calder Cannons)

North Melbourne - Alan Obst (North Melbourne)

Port Adelaide - Kory Beard (Port Adelaide Magpies), Daniel Caire (West Adelaide), Josh Carr (Fremantle), Tom Holmes (Glenelg), Gavin Hughes (Western Bulldogs), Andrew Lee (Essendon), Charlie McAdam (North Adelaide), Matthew Martin (West Adelaide), Danny Meyer (Richmond), Brayden O’Hara (Central District), Chris Schmidt (Brisbane Lions), Ben Speight (Norwood), Daniel Stewart (North Adelaide), Wade Thompson (North Adelaide)

Richmond - Andrew Browne (Murray Bushrangers), David Gourdis (Richmond), Kade Klemke (Murray Bushrangers), Nick Liddle (Coburg), Patrick Nicholls (St Bedes), Matt Suckling (Sandringham Dragons), Justin Van Unen (Oakleigh Chargers), Bryn Weadon (North Ballarat)

St Kilda - Steven Gaertner (Dandenong Stingrays), Brad Howard (St Kilda), Sam Iles (Collingwood), Halen Kay (Gippsland Power), Luke Stanton (Northern Knights), Tommy Walsh (County Kerry, Ireland)

Sydney - Aaron Bruce (Sydney Swans), Peter Faulks (Sydney Swans), Kristin Thornton (Sydney Swans)

West Coast - nil

Western Bulldogs - Liam Picken (Williamstown)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I would love to pick up Clancee Pearce in the rookie draft, he looks like he is training with Hawthorn so if we want him he would have to be a first rounder, question is can he make it to pick 13?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
EB
Club Player

Poor form by the Eastern Ranges boys - not a single player in there!
Last year from memory they had a good half dozen

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Out of the one we have chosen to train, I like Steven Gaertner, Luke Stanton and Tommy Walsh....

Haelen Kay not (Halen) looks okay but his inconsistent disposal is worry...

I feel that it will be even more inconsistent with the far more paced AFL comp.

Sam Iles, seems to have gone backward IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Can anyone tell me... among these people... and this is an honest question... is there someone who stands out as a third forward type player? I ask this because of Allen's injury.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:The AFL wishes to advise the following unlisted players have been given permission to train with the following AFL clubs, as at today, Monday December 8.

St Kilda - Steven Gaertner (Dandenong Stingrays), Brad Howard (St Kilda), Sam Iles (Collingwood), Halen Kay (Gippsland Power), Luke Stanton (Northern Knights), Tommy Walsh (County Kerry, Ireland)

thanks for the update mate.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:Can anyone tell me... among these people... and this is an honest question... is there someone who stands out as a third forward type player? I ask this because of Allen's injury.
Mate these players are rookies and I feel that if one was picked it would have to be Steven Gaertner... Tommy Walsh is long term if we select him...

Steven Gaertner...

Date of birth: 2/1/90
Height: 199cm
Weight: 87kg
Club: Dandenong Stingrays

Bio: Gaertner is an athletic tall with pace and an outstanding aerobic capacity. He is at home playing at centre half-back, with an ability to go forward or use his outstanding leap in the ruck. Gaertner was an AIS/AFL Academy graduate in 2007.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Thanks.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Gaertner is reportedly a gifted athlete......but who at present lacks football ability...ie as in reading the play, decision making etc.

So he could turn out anywhere betweena dud and a champion......which if course makes him a good candidate for a rookie pick.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Gaertner is reportedly a gifted athlete......but who at present lacks football ability...ie as in reading the play, decision making etc.

So he could turn out anywhere betweena dud and a champion......which if course makes him a good candidate for a rookie pick.
Yeah, some on here think that a rookie has to cross all the boxes...

IMO it NO...

If the Club sees potential in a player and believe that they can advance, yes ....

but in no way should they be considered as able to play AFL in round 1...

Rookies = potential, and not starting in our first 22 come round 1

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Gaertner is reportedly a gifted athlete......but who at present lacks football ability...ie as in reading the play, decision making etc.

Yeah, some on here think that a rookie has to cross all the boxes...

IMO it NO...

If the Club sees potential in a player and believe that they can advance, yes ....

but in no way should they be considered as able to play AFL in round 1...

Rookies = potential, and not starting in our first 22 come round 1
Agree....if there was not some issue...they would have been taken in the main draft...

They might be undersized....lacking in skill...be new to AFL...etc etc..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

So Howard is training again with us, which means (most likely) he'll be redrafted as a rookie IMHO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Snakeman66
Club Player

From AFL.com.au

BIO
Steven finished the season off very well playing at CHB. Was very capable when going forward and occasionally into the ruck. His pace and run-and-carry were the standout features of his game. He represented Vic Metro in the 2008 NAB AFL U18 Championships, displaying his versatility playing at CHB and on the wing on occasions. The athletic tall recorded 2.87sec for the 20m speed test and an outstanding beep test result of 14.3 at the Victorian NAB AFL state screening session. Steven was an AIS/AFL Academy graduate in 2007.

STATS
Kicks: 5, Handballs: 2, Disposals: 7, Marks: 2, Goals: 0 (Averages from U18 Championships)

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
undecided
Club Player

does anybody know if it is still possible for us to pick up tommy walsh

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

re tommy walsh ; from another thread that is a mile long

and from a question to Archie on saintscentral.com.au

the short answer is ' NO'

the long answer:
I guess if he SHOWS anything and the club felt it may be worth while they would look at all options>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Last edited by saintbrat on Mon 08 Dec 2008 9:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Scoop
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:So Howard is training again with us, which means (most likely) he'll be redrafted as a rookie IMHO.
I think you could be on the money here.

As for Gaertner, he reminds me of Kepler Bradley :? , but I think he would be worth rookie-ing....you never know, he may develop into a useful type....could play in a number of positions.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... wsid=70147

Surely he must be taken if available...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Howard will be redrafted, he has a 2 year contract, we cannot afford not to.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
elphie
Club Player

so of this list we don't have any real guidance if they are going to be picked or not.
though HOWARD seems a shoe in given under contract.
surprisingly, no CASEY SCORPS given a chance; nor SANDY for that
matter nor heard about any AIS possibles??
anybody know more coz only a week away to ROOKIE PICK?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... wsid=70147

Surely he must be taken if available...
He looks a bit indigineous which is a good thing......big looking lad also.

Good call.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.