Saints 2009:Kings of the long bomb

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

Saints 2009:Kings of the long bomb

This is what im hoping for in 2009,,hoping Rossy continues to go with an attacking gameplan more times then not,like the last half of the season and allow our running booming kickers such as Gram,Goddard,McGuire,Gilbert,Montagna and Dal Santo to run free and cause some considerable damage.....they are all capable,it would be an awesome tactic to watch,,whether we adopt anything like that remains to be seen but would be good to run with i think.

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
F_Q_F
Club Player

Gram and Gilbert better work on their long kicking then. I'd also just be happy if Maguire can get on the park let alone be a damaging centre half back.

For all the hype about Grams long kicking it was terrible last season, he seems to try and kick the ball too hard and they end up all over the place. Luckily we have a CHF who can mark the ball.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Who are they going to kick it too?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Who are they going to kick it too?
the ranga and the roo, with the tiprat at their feet.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
We've tried that. It doesn't seem to work.

Roo isn't a 'bomb it to him' sort of forward in my view.

We need to be far more creative than bombing it in.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

But wont all the "just bomb it long" supporters you hear at the footy be happy with this new and well thought out tactic???

How exciting - long bombs into the forward line. Are we getting Plugger back?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Solar
Saintsational Legend

I LOVE IT!!!!

KICK IT LONG...... to three oposition players......lets watch it fly back over our heads twice as fast..... I like this game :roll:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
markp
Saintsational Legend

Kicking it straight would be better.

sainter35
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

But wont all the "just bomb it long" supporters you hear at the footy be happy with this new and well thought out tactic???

Yes, that's the crew who yell out "Get on with it!" and "Kick it long" only to have a go at them when they kick it long straight to an opponent because it's a 5 on 1 contest.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

sainter35 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Yes, that's the crew who yell out "Get on with it!" and "Kick it long" only to have a go at them when they kick it long straight to an opponent because it's a 5 on 1 contest.
or the "don't kick it to raph.... god your s*** raph" after someone misses raph with a pass......

FQF
In richo I trust

bozza1980
Club Player

sainter35 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

That's my favourite too,

"Hurry up, kick it!! kick it!!" followed by "Who the hell are you kicking it too?!??"

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote: or the "don't kick it to raph.... god your s*** raph" after someone misses raph with a pass......
Ahhhhhh - even better. Bomb it long to Raph on the lead and make sure it either

a) goes over his head
b) lands at his ankles.

Then we can all be happy it was bombed long and our favourite whipping boy can get whipped again for someone elses (usually Grams) mistake :D :D

Lance or James??

Solar
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Solar wrote: or the "don't kick it to raph.... god your s*** raph" after someone misses raph with a pass......

a) goes over his head
b) lands at his ankles.

Then we can all be happy it was bombed long and our favourite whipping boy can get whipped again for someone elses (usually Grams) mistake :D :D
my fav this year was a guy next to me yelled "bloody pathetic raph" before I pointed out that raph was on the bench and yes gwilt did stuff up this time...... :wink:

FQF
In richo I trust

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

There's a difference between swift and precise ball movement and KICK IT UP THE GUTS.

Swift and precise ball movement is what Geelong do, thus denying the opposition the chance to set themselves in defence.

KICK IT UP THE GUTS is what teams did in the 1960s. Except that these days, if you apply a slow-paced game plan, like ours, teams can get numbers back.

As soon as someone yells out KICK IT UP THE GUTS at the footy, you know they know absolutely zero about the tactics of the game.

Long-kicking to less than 50-50 contests should be a last resort in my book. And it should never be to the half-forward line, where teams can spread on the rebound. It has to make it to the 15m near goals, where forwards can close space instantly if they don't win the first contest.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Cro
Club Player

Our long kicks will be useful in moving the ball quickly out of the backline to open players on the wing. Too often we get to the wing and stop, slow down, wait, grab a powerade then kick side ways.

not a fan of the bomb it long, Nick will be trippled teamed if we try this, Kozi will mark 1/10 at best and 90% of the time the ball will be kicked straight to opposition players. Did you not see us kick it long to the opposition far too often this season?

As mentioned you don't have to bomb it to move the ball quickly, however this is where the need for quick players who CAN kick come into play. Sure we aren't fast but our game plan makes us look slower than we are IMO.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Bring back fraser :D

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

a) goes over his head
b) lands at his ankles.

Spot on joffaboy

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

i dont care how we win just as long as we win, whether its ugly or not.
Chipping it backwards and sideways always brings us undone because we dont have the foot skills of sydney which can chip the ball around before going direct to an easy uncontested mark in the F50.

Preseason needs to address our kicking woes.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Bring back fraser :D
Seconded!

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

As soon as someone yells out KICK IT UP THE GUTS at the footy, you know they know absolutely zero about the tactics of the game.
God Bless ya Ev :-)

Anyone who's been within earshot of me at a game over the last 3 years will attest to how much I love "JUST KICK IT!!!!" followed by "OH HAVE A BLOODY LOOK BEFORE YOU JUST THROW IT ON THE BOOT!!" 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

the post wasnt about bombing it long to the forwards or kicking to which forward,it was about our selected long kickers taking the chance of kicking from 45metres plus for the GOALs,not a forward,,when the oppurtunity presents take it,we all know we can do it.

as for Gram,,yes his kicking sometimes can be off but 20 goals in 08 from a defensive half back cant be that bloody bad?

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
Cro
Club Player

So at no point did you mention you were talking about shots on goal. :?

As for Gram, sure 20 goals is a great return, but we're talking about some of his forward line entries, which were horrible. goals don't excuse terrible kicks on a far too regular basis.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Cro wrote:So at no point did you mention you were talking about shots on goal. :?

As for Gram, sure 20 goals is a great return, but we're talking about some of his forward line entries, which were horrible. goals don't excuse terrible kicks on a far too regular basis.
agreed, far too many turn overs IMO.

The worry is if Gram plays more in the midfield, one would expect him to gather more possessions.

He has to learn to pass the ball more often and not go for the long bomb.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Huge problem with Gram's bombs is that they often end up in the counter-attack zone, 40-60m out from our goal. Within 10 seconds the ball can be in the opponant's scoring zone.

If he could hit them into the 15m zone, where counter attacking is tougher because there's less space, they'd be more effective.

That is, of course, assuming we're going to stick with the BOMB IT LONG approach...

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

jays
Club Player

i think we really need Brendon up front, hopefully ray can play hb and Brendon ff