forward line

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

forward line

not sure how much you can read into the NAB cup and let's see how it pans out when the games start to mean something.

there were a few worrying signs with the gameplan, though, most noteably the fact that we still seem more concerned with defending than outscoring the opposition.

we went into the match with no forward line and we looked a hell of a lot better in the second half when bj and raph were given a run closer to goal.
herald sun: st kilda had a whopping 171 first-half disposals (three more than Brisbane), but could manage only one goal.
you can have all the midfield dominance you want, but if you can't make it count ON THE SCOREBOARD it means nothing.

personally i reckon we should stack the forward line with some talent and just try to ensure that we score as often as we can when it gets into our forward 50.

something like this.

hf: dal santo, riewoldt, schneider
f: kosi, goddard, milne

all very skilled players, all goal-kickers.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

two to three of those players are required up the ground...it would be lovely to have the creativity of dal and the awesomeness of goddard but it cant really be achieved....one maybe for portions of a match but both permanently wont happen

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Duggie1
Club Player

Re: forward line

More than half of the 171 posessions must have been handballs, which in that half, let the opposition into the game and get well ahead. It was an obsession in our so-called game plan up to that point. It allowed us to be crowded in general play. Not the first time a team has ben overrun by excessive hand balls .
Of course poor disposal off the boot let us down also.
No good to claim that we had sveral stars out. So did they. :lol:
bigcarl wrote:not sure how much you can read into the NAB cup and let's see how it pans out when the games start to mean something.

there were a few worrying signs with the gameplan, though, most noteably the fact that we still seem more concerned with defending than outscoring the opposition.

we went into the match with no forward line and we looked a hell of a lot better in the second half when bj and raph were given a run closer to goal.
herald sun: st kilda had a whopping 171 first-half disposals (three more than Brisbane), but could manage only one goal.
you can have all the midfield dominance you want, but if you can't make it count ON THE SCOREBOARD it means nothing.

personally i reckon we should stack the forward line with some talent and just try to ensure that we score as often as we can when it gets into our forward 50.

something like this.

Always a Saint
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

We lacked leadership last night big time. Also Lyon did not coach in the first half, he left it to the assistants and took over from half time. They did explain why at the breakfast this morning, but I wasn't listening :oops:

Goddard wasn't very happy about not being awarded the super goal and all players thought those two frees at the end of the last quarter were shockers and they were. Happened right in front of where we were sitting, great tackles and to have them be awarded frees was terrible. We had the momentum after 1/2 time. Had decisions gone our way we would have won. I have been to alot of functions over the years and this was the first time I heard players complain about umpiring decisons.
Last edited by Saint Bev on Sun 15 Feb 2009 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I think an away praccy game in Feb, played in bad conditions is an obvious pointer to the fact that we didn't play well.

I think we didn't have a fwd line, and frankly, we just didn't kick enough goals to win the game.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:two to three of those players are required up the ground...it would be lovely to have the creativity of dal and the awesomeness of goddard but it cant really be achieved....one maybe for portions of a match but both permanently wont happen
you're probably right that it won't happen. it's not in keeping with ross's conservative style.

it's what i'd do, though, having seen what an extremely potent forward line has done for hawthorn.

no chippalotto there. they bang it in quickly, knowing that their gun forwards will get it and kick a goal.

kicking winning scores is the name of the game with them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:not sure how much you can read into the NAB cup and let's see how it pans out when the games start to mean something.

something like this.

It has nothing to do with who is on the forward line. If Lockett and loewe were there in the first half on Saturday we would still have kicked one goal as one of them would have been left one out with 6 defenders because we were all up the ground chasing the ball.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

something like this.

It has nothing to do with who is on the forward line. If Lockett and loewe were there in the first half on Saturday we would still have kicked one goal as one of them would have been left one out with 6 defenders because we were all up the ground chasing the ball.
we had more of the ball than them in the first half but kicked only one goal.

that was because we had no forward line.

luckily this was addressed in the second half with BJ being moved forward :lol:

unfortunately, the change was made too late :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

something like this.

No what actually happened is our forwards stayed at home which meant we had one on one contests.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

something like this.

No what actually happened is our forwards stayed at home which meant we had one on one contests.
like i said, we had no forward line.

but yes, the "numbers behind the ball" thing is another part of the gameplan that has to be addressed.

never been a fan of the basketball-style game. it's too taxing on players and it hasn't improved our results one iota.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Lyon did not coach in the first half, he left it to the assistants and took over from half time. They did explain why at the breakfast this morning, but I wasn't listening :oops:
Well then - from a real coaching aspect and the future of 2009 only the second half should be considered - and that resulted in 45 points to us and only conceding 14. Will take those ratios all day every day.

Bring on 2009

Believe or F@rken Burn!!!!!

PJ
SS Life Member

Like the look of this bigcarl but I don't know if I'd sacrifice Goddard there the whole time. Perhaps in tandum with someone else - like the resting ruck scensrio only it's an on baller.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Like the look of this bigcarl but I don't know if I'd sacrifice Goddard there the whole time. Perhaps in tandum with someone else - like the resting ruck scensrio only it's an on baller.
If we can afford to remove BJ from his backline and midfield duties, why would you play him at FF and waste his kicking abilities.

Surely he would become the best option on a HFF where he could use his kicking ability to full effect.

As the third tall with the ability to score from 60m out he would be almost unmatchable, IMHO.

But it's a huge questionmark that we don't/won't require him further up the ground.

Marcus1232
Club Player

Still persevere with roo at CHF and kosi at FF.

If kosi can actually string a few consistent games together he is a near unmatchable full forward one of the best contested marks in the comp

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:If we can afford to remove BJ from his backline and midfield duties, why would you play him at FF and waste his kicking abilities.
kicking abilities are a fairly important part of being a full forward, i would have thought, but playing him as a third tall would also have its merits.

thing is kosi was tried as a second key forward last season and didn't really hit his straps. in fact ross is on record as saying his best position is ruck/forward.

so if he sticks by that it's a key position forward we're looking for to complement riewoldt.

gilbert is obviously one we're looking at and, going on saturday night, bj and raph might be other possibilities.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
raph clarke?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Saint Bev wrote:We lacked leadership last night big time. Also Lyon did not coach in the first half, he left it to the assistants and took over from half time. They did explain why at the breakfast this morning, but I wasn't listening :oops:

Goddard wasn't very happy about not being awarded the super goal and all players thought those two frees at the end of the last quarter were shockers and they were. Happened right in front of where we were sitting, great tackles and to have them be awarded frees was terrible. We had the momentum after 1/2 time. Had decisions gone our way we would have won. I have been to alot of functions over the years and this was the first time I heard players complain about umpiring decisons.
thanks for the insider info SaintBev...
the change from half time was pretty obvious, as the side went back to a more "comfortable" setup. Gilbert went back and Dawson was given a go forward. And yes those two decisions may have had an influence, but at the same time we gave away alot of head high tackle frees and didnt adjust to the way the game was being umpired. The lions were also first to the ball and clumsily falling over your opponents back doesnt help either. So that is the worry that players would openly gripe about the decisions, it happens in junior ranks but not at ALF level. Its like a cancer. We had a list more than capable on the night and to blame umpires is not taking responsibility for the result.
Apart from the result I hope the functions went well and any more reports would be great! Hint hint

Seeya
the_D_train
Club Player

i would like to see...

HF: N DalSanto - N Riewoldt - D Armitage

FF: S Milne - J Koschitzke - J Steven

as the starting line up, with BJ and NDS Rotating through the middle and X Clarke (if fit and firing) rotating with armo same with Schneider and steven.

BJ and NDS would both be damaging HFFs

If we were struggling that much I dont see why we wouldn't play Tom Lynch.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

the_D_train wrote:i would like to see...

as the starting line up, with BJ and NDS Rotating through the middle and X Clarke (if fit and firing) rotating with armo same with Schneider and steven.

BJ and NDS would both be damaging HFFs

If we were struggling that much I dont see why we wouldn't play Tom Lynch.
I'm pretty happy with this as long as BJ/NDS assume teh 'quarterback role' when they are in their midfield rotation.

Without either of them up back I'm struggliong to find someone who hads the footy smarts and the disposal ability to play that role.
Sam Fisher probably could but I fear he will be needed for other roles.

the_D_train
Club Player

i believe Sean Dempster could play that "quaterback" role pretty effectively when he returns from injury ??

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

the_D_train wrote:i believe Sean Dempster could play that "quaterback" role pretty effectively when he returns from injury ??
Except we're unlikely to see him play anytime soon.

the_D_train
Club Player

yes half a season...

Statsman
Club Player

the_D_train wrote:i would like to see...

Armitage and Steven will both need to cement a place in the first 22 before they can be penciled into the starting 18. I agree they are the right type of players to fill those roles, but we'll need to see a fair bit more from both of them before we hand them a spot in the side.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I'm pretty happy with this as long as BJ/NDS assume teh 'quarterback role' when they are in their midfield rotation.

Without either of them up back I'm struggliong to find someone who hads the footy smarts and the disposal ability to play that role.
raph was close to best on ground in that role in the final we won against collingwood. gram can play it. s. fisher can play it.

there are other possibilties like xavier clarke (if he can get a decent run at it injury wise) and farren ray (down the track a bit).

goose might never get back to his best, but i remember him being pretty effective as a general down there going back a bit.

so we do have options and i think it's time we looked at getting some of our best offensive players off the half back line and into positions where they can hurt the opposition where it really counts ... on the scoreboard.

PJ
SS Life Member

i think it's time we looked at getting some of our best offensive players off the half back line and into positions where they can hurt the opposition where it really counts
This is where it's really at. Too often last year it went in only to come straight back. Most would agree our Half back line was probably our most effective.

Take a look at our list and look at the experiments going on across HB - Begley, Ray perhaps even X next week.

BJ can rotate from the midfield to the forward line and make a real mess of opposition match ups.

Pos rotating buddy: Raph, Gilbo (both have the defensive side to their games)

I was super impressed with Heyne as well - looks like a freak in the making and yes, he could be the Steve Johson/loose cannon type.

Since the demise of the G-train we've looked pretty average up front.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.