Which Jumper do you prefer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Which image do you prefer on the jumper?

The Cross
67%
The Logo
33%

Total votes: 55

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Which Jumper do you prefer?

Hey guys, it's about that time of year again when I hassle the club with my jumper designs, It has been pretty cool that they have made a couple of them into training jumpers for the past couple of years but I want to get one onto the field as a clash jumper.

ATM I'm doing some research and I have a couple of mock up designs, far from complete, and a long way before being sent in, I was just trying to see what you guys thought was a better image, the cross or the logo...

Here is an example jumper with both images, I'm just keen to see which one you all think is better.

The Cross

The Logo

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
battye
Saintsational Legend

Have you ever received any official recognition/acknowledgement for the jumpers you've designed?

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Neither!

You do realize that we might have to play an AFL Grand Final in a clash jumper one day!

Which is why we should have the traditional home panel jumper with a white back, because it is the most St Kilda like clash jumper you could ever design!

When we next make a Grand Final I want to at the very least see the three panels of equal size on the front of the jumper!

If we start running out in finals in a clash jumper like that I'd be mightily pissed off!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Neither!

You do realize that we might have to play an AFL Grand Final in a clash jumper one day!

Which is why we should have the traditional home panel jumper with a white back, because it is the most St Kilda like clash jumper you could ever design!

When we next make a Grand Final I want to at the very least see the three panels of equal size on the front of the jumper!

If we start running out in finals in a clash jumper like that I'd be mightily pissed off!
haha, dat chance we will be called the St. Kilda Saints when we win one, and located in Victoria

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
avid
Club Player

Armooo you're a good jumper designer!
But I have to agree with Barks4eva that our clash jumper actually has to be a true traditional St Kilda jumper -- like the white-backed one (see those old photos of Neil Roberts in it, c1958!)
(Or even the candy stripes -- that 'heritage' jumper remains a beauty!)
Of your two proposed designs, I think the cross is by far the better. It's a very good looking jumper. I don't think it's quite as good as the old hot cross bun though, as it largely misses the red ingredient of the mighty R,W+B.
Does the hot cross bun now qualify as a traditional or 'heritage' jumper?!
I concede that it must be possible to design a new St Kilda jumper that would prove tolerable on our next GF day. But it will be very, very difficult.
Let's go with what we already have on hand (see B4E above.)

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I understand where you are all coming form, but I believe that a clash jumper must be significantly different to a home jumper, especially in these economic times we need more ways to bring in money.

If St Kilda were to play in a GF I would be with the rest of you, I would want us to refuse to wear anything BUT our home jumper, no matter what the consequences are.

Also Battye, no the club haven't acknowledged it, I don't mind though, I'm not in it for any kudos/ payment.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Voted for the cross jumper - I used to like the old hot cross bun as well, in fact I have one :shock:

Hey how can I get one like in your avatar ??

Hold your ground :shock:
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

can someone do some homework for me and look up how many games we actually won wearing that jumper (our current clash one)

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Voted for the cross jumper - I used to like the old hot cross bun as well, in fact I have one :shock:

http://www.saints.com.au/portals/58/shop.html

:wink:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:can someone do some homework for me and look up how many games we actually won wearing that jumper (our current clash one)
I believe our record with our current clash jumper is 0-1, but it was only a nab cup match...

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
saintdooley wrote:can someone do some homework for me and look up how many games we actually won wearing that jumper (our current clash one)
I believe our record with our current clash jumper is 0-1, but it was only a nab cup match...
lol
sorry, forgot to ad in the 50's
how many games we won in the 50's in that jumper?

btw, love your designs, especially the cross one, looks moddern and creative like the hawks one, love it.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Sorry don't like either, more than happy with the jumper we have at the moment, looks great live, really stands out.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

What's with the Freddy Kruger bits on the sides?

starsign
Club Player

What's with the Freddy Kruger bits on the sides?

Good struff Armoo love your work!,
Like the general shape of side panels reflecting the crusader type shield and echoing the logo but...
Yeah to the above ..... so could you possibly draw the cross design up again with just red on the side panels minus these daggers/teeth whatever and also try red piping around the shoulder openings instead of black , please Armoo!

That would bring a bit more red balance to the black of the cross but still leave the AFL imposed "white predominance" in the overall clash strip design
cheers !

the shadow
Club Player

Nice work Armoo! The designs are both striking and are a vast improvement over the last one. I'd have to say though, that I'm with the others who prefer the current clash jumper style. I'd go with the traditional, 3 equal panels on the front as well. If you look back at photos of the 40's and 50's, that design looks great and satisfies the traditionalists as well.

As for getting recognition, acknowledgement and maybe financial recompense for your designs, I think you should go for it. You obviously put a lot of time, thought and effort into this and you have a right to be rewarded. The worst thing would be to see your design copied by some overpaid "image consultant", who would go on to pocket a hefty fee at your expense. Why don't you inquire with the club as to who does their current designing? Show them yours, and then offer them a price (undercutting the opposition). That way you could save the club money, give them some decent work from a passionate member and get your just desserts! Good luck!

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Neither.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote:Nice work Armoo! The designs are both striking and are a vast improvement over the last one. I'd have to say though, that I'm with the others who prefer the current clash jumper style. I'd go with the traditional, 3 equal panels on the front as well. If you look back at photos of the 40's and 50's, that design looks great and satisfies the traditionalists as well.

As for getting recognition, acknowledgement and maybe financial recompense for your designs, I think you should go for it. You obviously put a lot of time, thought and effort into this and you have a right to be rewarded. The worst thing would be to see your design copied by some overpaid "image consultant", who would go on to pocket a hefty fee at your expense. Why don't you inquire with the club as to who does their current designing? Show them yours, and then offer them a price (undercutting the opposition). That way you could save the club money, give them some decent work from a passionate member and get your just desserts! Good luck!
Yeah, I'll definitely take that into account, like I said earlier I am not interested in the money but if they are paying a company a load of money to rip off ideas from SS I would happily do the designs for them for a fraction of the price.

And FWIW, I would make sure a white backed tri-panel was the clash jumper, as much as I personally dislike it.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I really like them both, but I probably go for the cross one a little bit more because it is so modern looking... wow.

You're really talented!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Voted for the cross jumper - I used to like the old hot cross bun as well, in fact I have one :shock:

http://www.saints.com.au/portals/58/shop.html

:wink:
Thanks Armooo - Saints shop didn't appear to have a cross one like in your avatar though, not even in clearance stock :shock:

Was that a training or match day top ??

Hold your ground :shock:
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

The one in my avatar is a training jersey, the last two years we have seemed to have two types of training jerseys. A light weight singlet one which is mostly used in the pre-season and one that is like a proper season guernsey which is used later in the year and in the intra-club matches.

The one in my avatar is the latter, in the link I provided the picture on the saints site is of the predominantly black version, but you can select the predominantly white version.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I usually like your work but they both remind me of a re-vamped version of our 07-08 clash top. Keep throwing your designs forward though!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

the cross.
but im not keen on the red 'teeth' that wrap around....although if they wernt there, the jumper would would need more red in it.

id purchase the cross one for sure tho....i like it.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I was never planning on sending either of these in, i just chucked a cross or a logo onto another template, I just wanted to see which moniker people preferred and it owuld seem about 66% of people want to go with the cross so I will be heading in that direction again this year.

Thanks guys.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Of the two I prefer the cross, but with more red in it. Not too keen on the sharks teeth though.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The white bit looks like a womans one piece swimsuit