St K 16.13.109 d Rich 9.3.57

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Look's like the Clarkes may wel be playing together in the backline this year.
But if they both play in the same position, how are the going to kick to each other!? :P

PJ
SS Life Member

BJ can rest forward but cannot play deep in the forward line
Absolutely, a seriously good running play maker shouldn't be camped deep the wholw game but can be rotated there when he needs a breather.
I mean it would be real shock horror to have a mid capable of kicking goals.....
This is on the money - and if opposition see he wandering into the forward line regularly they are going to have to restructure their back line possibly releasing pressure on Roo - they can't double team everyone.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:All those who still think Goddard should be no where near the goals say "I"
BJ can rest forward but cannot play deep in the forward line.
Why?
Is that your thoughts on his ability or our structure?
Because he plays deep back with little problem...

JABBER
Club Player

My Best 22

Ive changed my best 22

B S Fisher M Hudgton J gwilt
HB S Gilbert J Blake R Clarke
C N Dal Santo B J J Gram
HF A Schneider Roo Joey
F F Ray Kosi S Milne
R S king L Hayes L Ball
I B McEvoy D Armitage S Baker X Clarke

trevor barker
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

sounds like a good solid win

#1 Ryder fan
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Hate to ruin your best 22 Jabber, but Gardiner was very impressive. I/d have him in the best 22 before McEvoy at this stage. Also Gwilt and Schneider would not make my team.

Gilbert was good on the forward line, particularly early. Goddard was great. Lenny Hayes started quietly, but got better as the game went on. Dawson, Miles, L.Fisher, Begley and Schneider did not impress at all. Armitage did some good things and looks set for a good year. Farren Ray was in the play a lot, kicked it out of bounds on the full a few times. He still looks good value though. X is still an excitement machine. Early in the game we had all of the play, but still struggled to score, so not much change there.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Even allowing for this being a Coburg+ team.....it looks like the Saints will have a better 22 for Round One than we fielded in the prelim last year.

A fit and in form Ball and X will be major improvements.

Lets hope that Max shapes up though so that he an Blake can take the two key defender roles....leaving Sam free to play more attacking football.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Hate to ruin your best 22 Jabber, but Gardiner was very impressive. I/d have him in the best 22 before McEvoy at this stage.
Do we need a second ruck though? It looks as though Sydney are going to play Orreal or Pyke as their second ruck in round one. Kosi should destroy either of those two around the ground, allowing us to carry another smaller body on the bench.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

On last nights form Gardiner would be No.1 ruckman at the club.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:On last nights form Gardiner would be No.1 ruckman at the club.
It is a nice problem to have to have both King and Gardi in good form.

Both might not make the 22 at the same time....

...but it is agood option to have.

However a practice match with not much in the Richmond Ruck Brigade is nota harsh test.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
JABBER
Club Player

i never saw the game last night and was glad to read Gardener played very well. he was slow kicking the ball against Brisbane.
do our guys look good for round 1 ? Can we play against the zones yet ?
did jack stevens play ?

trevor barker
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

JABBER wrote:i never saw the game last night and was glad to read Gardener played very well. he was slow kicking the ball against Brisbane.
do our guys look good for round 1 ? Can we play against the zones yet ?
did jack stevens play ?
A mate of mine said jack steven didnt play.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Hate to ruin your best 22 Jabber, but Gardiner was very impressive. I/d have him in the best 22 before McEvoy at this stage.
Do we need a second ruck though? It looks as though Sydney are going to play Orreal or Pyke as their second ruck in round one. Kosi should destroy either of those two around the ground, allowing us to carry another smaller body on the bench.
kosi isn't really a tap ruckman...or a ruckman

plus jolly rucks the majority of games so anyone who is sydneys second ruckman will be competing with lrt etc as he usually does a bit around the ground

kosi is more a follower than a ruckman...he can get the footy around the field and has a good kick on him

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Foz
Club Player

Jack Steven did play, he did a few nice things and will get senior time this year. He looks like he will apply lots of forward pressure which we need.
I think Armo will get tried in this role from time to time. He finds the goals (slotted a long set shot from 50) and is a good in and under tackler. His field kicking is still of concern.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

went to the game last night, everyone played well, but i wouldn't get too carried away with Ball, from what i saw his kicking hasn't improved at all, plus he desperately needs a hair cut

Gilb was the best sign for me, had a real good game up forward, and Gwilt also surprised me with how he played

all the usuals had a good game, McQualter didn't have the best

Gardiner seemed to go alot better than King

over all pleased with the win, although only against the Tigers 2's

jackal
Club Player

Goddard is a midfielder but should be played exactly the way Sheeds played Hird, i.e. let the man go to where needed most.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:went to the game last night, everyone played well, but i wouldn't get too carried away with Ball, from what i saw his kicking hasn't improved at all, plus he desperately needs a hair cut

Gilb was the best sign for me, had a real good game up forward, and Gwilt also surprised me with how he played

all the usuals had a good game, McQualter didn't have the best

Gardiner seemed to go alot better than King

over all pleased with the win, although only against the Tigers 2's
how did gwilt go?

did he demand the football in place of riewoldt? did he use his body to win contests? What was his work rate like?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
To the top
SS Life Member

Jackal, I reckon the player we want to have your referred to "Hird licence" is Riewoldt.

For that reason, and in the absence of Riewoldt, I am interested in whether Koschitzke played at CHF because that is where he will play to his potential. He is not a ruckman and he is not a full forward - although he can play in both positions.

Goddard I would like to see in the centre square. His body size and his skills with the ball are his credentials.

In regards Gardiner, up until the Sydney game where he was injured, I thought he was shading King and moving further in front of King by the week.

It is my view that both should be in our 22.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

thanks The_Dud and WodongaSaint,
sounds like McQualter and CJ are seeing the writing on the wall at the moment, and it doesnt look good.
someone pointed out the game was handball happy, I know this is a tough one but were they handballs out of danger(ie a tight close game) or were they handballs to a running player in a better position?

also Im of the opinion that NDS should find a place on the HFF, I read he was named there but didnt feature in the goals, any thoughts on his game in the forwardline?

Seeya
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:kosi isn't really a tap ruckman...or a ruckman
Then why did he spend so much time in the ruck when Gardiner was available?

I have a hard time believing Gardiner has suddenly become a player again. He was nothing short of brutal in his last real match. His performance against Brisbane wasn't much better. He can still tap, but he's a complete liability after the bounce.

I'm unconvinced he's anything more than insurance. And I'm not sure in today's game that you really nead two rucks. Lots of teams are using Kosi types as their second ruck.

Yeah nah pleasing positive