At least Saints fans do not over react

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

At least Saints fans do not over react

Threads last week saying we are better than the Hawks, threads on where will finish and nearly everyone had us top 4, threads on BJ winning the brownlow.

One practice match and what happens?

If and hopefully when we beat the Swans it will be time to bring out those first 3 threads again.

At least we are consistant as we seem to over react positively and negatively.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: At least Saints fans do not over react

plugger66 wrote:Threads last week saying we are better than the Hawks, threads on where will finish and nearly everyone had us top 4, threads on BJ winning the brownlow.

If and hopefully when we beat the Swans it will be time to bring out those first 3 threads again.

Yep, spot on...

We won two and lost two in the NAB series, our last was against a near on full side, and some on here think that the season is near gone before the seasons starts.

Please correct me if I am wrong here, but the year Sydney won the flag, I am pretty sure they did not win one game in the pre season.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong here, but the year Sydney won the flag, I am pretty sure they did not win one game in the pre season.
I'm pretty sure that's correct, without knowing any way of checking. They also had a slow start to the season proper which had various people saying 'Roos will never win a flag!' I believe even AD got in on the Sydney-bashing that year.

Preseason has proven itself to be a good predictor of nothing.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Threads last week saying we are better than the Hawks, threads on where will finish and nearly everyone had us top 4, threads on BJ winning the brownlow.

In every group there are pessimists and optimists. When we win, the optimists come out and say we are champions, while the pessimists go and hide. When we lose, the pessimists take over. This is no different to any other AFL club forum or any other club forum in the world.

For me, the glass is always half full.

When we got beaten today, I searched the internet to see if I could find Hawthorn's results from last year in the Challenge Cup. And you know what, I couldn't find them. Nobody cares.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

and then sometimes we win and peeps still aint happy :roll:
lol

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

matrixcutter wrote:and then sometimes we win and peeps still aint happy :roll:
lol
Damn Right!

Some people are just incapable of being happy. We win two matches, they literally have nothing to say. We lose two, they come out swinging!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

hey im not saying i dont look at negatives when we somehow manage to scrape a win out in a game sometimes, and yeah we nit pick..but at the end really 4 points is all that matters.

wonder if after the flag in 66 peeps sat there thinking of what we should have done better, or forgot how good or bad we played.
unlikely, most peeps woulda been too drunk or high on happiness.

our times coming, because probability says it must.....sooner or later.

wasnt too long ago the hawks and the cats where shite if i remember correctly and bomber thompson was slated as not going to keep his job very long....
funny game footy.

jay young
Club Player

A team should try and win every game no matter what ,saints fans except losing to easy ,i was at aami skill level of some players was a concern
not assertive enough poorly coached forward line had no one down there except nick when we went into attack and the coaching staff need a kick up the clacker for letting k cornes have noone on him all game hell totally carve a side up by that lyon silvagni and co SHOCKING COACHING YESTERDAY

PJ
SS Life Member

Part of the gig I'm afraid plugger66 - I think being a sainters person puts you in the long haul category. You'd think we'd be a bit more measured in our responses but as someone else has explained it's battle between the pessys and the oppys. At least there's no shortage in passion!!

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The real problem I have with yesterdays loss, was that it was again Port beating the crap out of us again.

Whether it be a practice match or the real stuff, I really believe this side has a mental block with Port, we just keep on having mediocre performances against them.

Even the win we had last year was not a good showing by the club against a team that was clearly way down on confidence and personnel when we played them.

Yet they nearly beat us.

We have to break this dominance they have over us and the only way to do it is not just to beat them, but grind them into the ground, especially at AAMI.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jay young wrote:A team should try and win every game no matter what ,saints fans except losing to easy ,i was at aami skill level of some players was a concern
not assertive enough poorly coached forward line had no one down there except nick when we went into attack and the coaching staff need a kick up the clacker for letting k cornes have noone on him all game hell totally carve a side up by that lyon silvagni and co SHOCKING COACHING YESTERDAY
So its poor coaching again. Didnt we get rid of our bad coach in barker, who happened to get picked up by the premiership side which is strange for a poor coach, and replace him with better coaches. Maybe there is more to it than blaming coaches, just maybe we are 4-8 placed side like we were last year.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Before the Richmond game I thought that Goddard will have a breakout year, finish top 5 in the brownlow and that we will come top 4.

After the Richmond game i thought that Goddard will have a breakout year, finish top 5 in the brownlow and that we will come top 4.

Now after the Port game I think that Goddard will have a breakout year, finish top 5 in the brownlow and that we will come top 4.

Of course people overreact but they will see it for what it is once they calm down a bit, a meaningless practice match...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Before the Richmond game I thought that Goddard will have a breakout year, finish top 5 in the brownlow and that we will come top 4.

After the Richmond game i thought that Goddard will have a breakout year, finish top 5 in the brownlow and that we will come top 4.

Now after the Port game I think that Goddard will have a breakout year, finish top 5 in the brownlow and that we will come top 4.

Of course people overreact but they will see it for what it is once they calm down a bit, a meaningless practice match...
looking at the stats, 15 of their scores came from us stuffing up completely....

we could have just had a really really really poor day....really

it happens to everyone...too many case to point out

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

There's no such thing as a 'meaningless practice match'.

Otherwise, you wouldn't even bother to attend.

In terms of whether or not the result means we will or will not win the 09 flag, then yes it is meaningless.

However the same areas that Lyon has failed to address, or at least had success in addressing were glaring.

Therefore, I can understand why some fans panic a bit when they see a very talented football side struggling still after 2 years.

marksnsparks
Club Player

We're gonna to do the usual. Play shite until round 13 then scrape into the 8, and make n impact on the big guns.

I wonder if we need to start pre-season earlier or something. The sluggishness of the team for the 1st half of the season is unacceptable year after year (2004 excepted of course)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yes and no, of course we want to create a contest and win our early matches. It's well and good to be up and about early, but we don't want to be similar to the Doggies of last year and peak to early.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

St Fidelius wrote:
Yep, spot on...

We won two and lost two in the NAB series, our last was against a near on full side, and some on here think that the season is near gone before the seasons starts.

Please correct me if I am wrong here, but the year Sydney won the flag, I am pretty sure they did not win one game in the pre season.
correct me if I'm wrong... I dont think we won any NAB games.
the rest are practice matches which hold fair less value, and were only brought in to force clubs from deliberately throwing their first NAB hitup and then going off to do their own thing. (intra clubs)
Gee, Coll, Carl have hit the ground running, and will have a good start to the year. It didnt take too many "ins" for the Hawks to look like a team again.
Its hard to get a handle on the Saints so far from what we have seen.
But for me the most disappointing thing is that I dont think we have drafted a first year gem, disappointing in the sense I was constantly reading 08 is the best last draft...etc etc We have glaringly obvious holes in our forwardline so you would expect one of them to be a walk up start.

Seeya
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Aren't they still called the NAB challenge or something like that?

But yes, they are just praccy matches.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Iceman234 wrote:Aren't they still called the NAB challenge or something like that?

its just a naming rights thing, once you lose a NAB cup game, you're out.

Seeya
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:Aren't they still called the NAB challenge or something like that?

its just a naming rights thing, once you lose a NAB cup game, you're out.
Oh ok thanks.

But they are still called NAB, even though it's just naming rights?

So we did win a couple of NAB games?