The Fox Report - Round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The Fox Report - Round 1

Round 1 down. For the 3rd time in as many years, we had a win.

Fair to say that based on our previous 3 years, we can't really look too much into what happens in Round 1. Fair to say that based on the past 100 years of AFL/VFL we can't really look that much into Round 1 full stop.

However, a few things stood out to me.

The Good Things...

- We won without Riewoldt having an influence.
- Dawson's hip & shoulder on Hall.
- Dawson full stop.
- We came back after looking down and out.
- We were pretty fierce, against a team renowned for this.
- We only conceded 65 points.
- Didn't really have a 'star', but moreso many conntributors.
- Joey is an adult now. He now knows this too.
- Kosi had an influence.
- Gardiner did Ok and his attitude was great.
- We won with injuries.
- Luke Ball was good.
- Dal broke a tag.
- Our good players were good.

The Bad Things....

- We only kicked 80 points after dominating the majority of the game.
- We suffered soft-tissue injuries again.
- We started horribly.
- We showed again that the difference between our good and our bad is vast.
- Played a style of footy that is unproven.
- We haven't 'mastered' our style of play. However we've vastly improved our cohesion if the 2nd & 3rd quarters are anything to go by.
- Lyon still hasn't introduced any new talent.

Crucial Moments...

In the 2nd quarter, Milne ran onto a loose ball, looked up and snapped across his body and bounced it through for a goal.
When he looked up, he saw Schneider completely on his own about 10m away - the ball should have gone to him.
Schneider called for it, only to see the ball be kicked over his head by Milne, and go through for a goal.
He didn't crack the shiits like 90% of AFL footballers would have. Instead he pumped his fists in celebration of a goal for the team.
I was surprised, and really pleased by it. It showed that Schneider wants the team to win more than him getting an easy goal next t ohis name i the Footy Record.

The other crucial moment was the shirtfront Dawson put on Hall. 98% of the comp are genuinely scared of Hall. Dawson, a rookie who's had his ego and self-confidence mauled over the past couple of years is part of the 2% that isn't scared of him.

Seeing that, must have made the rest of the side walk taller.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Fox Report - Round 1

rodgerfox wrote: - Lyon still hasn't introduced any new talent.
Fair and objective report.

I take it you mean any kids by new talent, as we have plenty of new talent (if not young talent) since Lyon took over.

Just a question. FWIW who would you have had in the team for R1 re new talent? And whose place would they have taken?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Round 1 down. For the 3rd time in as many years, we had a win.

Fair to say that based on our previous 3 years, we can't really look too much into what happens in Round 1. Fair to say that based on the past 100 years of AFL/VFL we can't really look that much into Round 1 full stop.

However, a few things stood out to me.

The Good Things...

- We won without Riewoldt having an influence.
- Dawson full stop.
- We came back after looking down and out.
- We were pretty fierce, against a team renowned for this.
- We only conceded 65 points.
- Didn't really have a 'star', but moreso many conntributors.
- Joey is an adult now. He now knows this too.
- Kosi had an influence.
- Gardiner did Ok and his attitude was great.
- We won with injuries.
- Luke Ball was good.
- Dal broke a tag.
- Our good players were good.

The Bad Things....

- We only kicked 80 points after dominating the majority of the game.
- We suffered soft-tissue injuries again.
- We started horribly.
- We showed again that the difference between our good and our bad is vast.
- Played a style of footy that is unproven.
- We haven't 'mastered' our style of play. However we've vastly improved our cohesion if the 2nd & 3rd quarters are anything to go by.

Crucial Moments...

In the 2nd quarter, Milne ran onto a loose ball, looked up and snapped across his body and bounced it through for a goal.
When he looked up, he saw Schneider completely on his own about 10m away - the ball should have gone to him.
Schneider called for it, only to see the ball be kicked over his head by Milne, and go through for a goal.
He didn't crack the shiits like 90% of AFL footballers would have. Instead he pumped his fists in celebration of a goal for the team.
I was surprised, and really pleased by it. It showed that Schneider wants the team to win more than him getting an easy goal next t ohis name i the Footy Record.

The other crucial moment was the shirtfront Dawson put on Hall. 98% of the comp are genuinely scared of Hall. Dawson, a rookie who's had his ego and self-confidence mauled over the past couple of years is part of the 2% that isn't scared of him.

Seeing that, must have made the rest of the side walk taller.
Good work.....

Maybe wait 10-15 rounds to access weather new talent has been injected.....If it hasn't its probably a good sign that our seniors are ripping it up!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote: The Good Things...

- Dawson full stop.

The Bad Things....

??

Or do you mean drafted?

On that note, what'd everyone think of Farren Ray? I missed the game, but the stats tell me he just about matched his contested possession totals from 2008 in round 1.

I gather Geary looked a bit lost.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
markp
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote: On that note, what'd everyone think of Farren Ray? I missed the game, but the stats tell me he just about matched his contested possession totals from 2008 in round 1.
Ray was very good... he and Dawson seem to be very handy pick-ups...
add King and Gardiner to that, and I think we may have done well in the recycling department for a change... combined what did they all cost us?

As for the OP, the Dawson bump and Kosi's mark and goal were the individual highlights of the night for me.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I would add

- we had 74 tackles.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Interesting point re Minle/Schneider. Might have been a differnt reaction had Milney shanked it lol.

Good on him tho. Too many of our forward thrusts were ruined by people trying to be too cute going inside 50. Noone wants mindless bombs all the time, but theres gotta be a time when you just think, "bugger it, I'll have a crack' Look at BJ in the 3rd. He hardly even kicked that ball and it went 1/2 post high from 50..would have landed in the Nth Melbourne rail yards if he'd really given it something.

GOod report Rodge..a far cry from the lil grizzle you had on SUnday morning..see..wasnt that bad a game eh? Hells bells..compared to last year..

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You have your own report, how indulgent...

Not bad content for someone who isn't interested much :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

was the crowds continual booing of boofhead and jeering his clangers a good thing or a bad thing....????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:was the crowds continual booing of boofhead and jeering his clangers a good thing or a bad thing....????
It wasn't unexpected anyway ... :wink:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: - Gardiner did Ok

Gardiner do much better than ok, IMO, he was almost best on ground!

Did you go dodgy or did you watch it on TV?

Many things he did arev not evident on TV and you would only be aware of if you were at the game!

Thankfully Milne was still playing in a St Kilda jumper and Gardiner wouldn't even be there if your hero was still coaching!
Last edited by barks4eva on Mon 30 Mar 2009 11:25am, edited 1 time in total.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Interesting point re Minle/Schneider. Might have been a differnt reaction had Milney shanked it lol.

Good on him tho. Too many of our forward thrusts were ruined by people trying to be too cute going inside 50. Noone wants mindless bombs all the time, but theres gotta be a time when you just think, "bugger it, I'll have a crack' Look at BJ in the 3rd. He hardly even kicked that ball and it went 1/2 post high from 50..would have landed in the Nth Melbourne rail yards if he'd really given it something.
Yep, still cant understand why Gram didnt take that shot from 35-40 on the run... blew my mind actually :shock:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Just a question. FWIW who would you have had in the team for R1 re new talent? And whose place would they have taken?
None on our list that have been drafted stand out as inclusions. That's the issue.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:

Many things he did arev not evident on TV and you would only be aware of if you were at the game!

Thankfully Milne was still playing in a St Kilda jumper and Gardiner wouldn't even be there if your hero was still coaching!
Oh dear... I have to agree with you.

Oh the pain. :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
None on our list that have been drafted stand out as inclusions. That's the issue.
Why would that be such an issue, with respect?

You got Ray who's only 22 and ready to play at seniors level. Why would you have to blood an unproven kid?

You also had Geary...

I fail to see why it's such a big issue. Or is it the onyl thing you can criticise Lyon for this week?

At what point do you make the call if a kid is going to make it?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Megamaguire
Club Player

Ability to focus a real positive.

From a shabby appearance in the first Qrt. the TEAM's ability to close in on the swans and collectively hold the footy and provide plenty of support was very commendable. Farren Ray had a great first game for us and seemed to be loving life with coach Rossi. Zac D. did really well on the volatile bazza and appeared to relish the more game time he accrued.
Bj under intense scruitiny kept plugging away and made me feel generally secure in the knowledge that he would hold the fort when needed. His goal was the type of midfield goal we're craving and for Dally to do the same was sweet indeed. Great to see Bakes insert himself into some dicey situations in the nick of time (Great outcome)!
Gardiner got around well and looked very focused. He missed one that he'll probably get every time from now on. Milney plenty to like but he knows he could have been sharper at finishing.
Kosi - how could i forget! Produced a vital period of class marking and leadership to point the team towards the winning post. The whole team seemed to lift automatically to Kosi's heroics. That mark after being clobbered by the swans ruckman was awesome. (Great to see).
Scoreline flattered swans at the end.
Just have to keep bedding down the new structure - with Bj & Gram playing more in the centreand farren ray successfully carrying and delivering the sherrin. The ability of Gilbert and Zac D. to stand firm makes it much easier for Rossi to carry out his plans.

Now... Adelaide

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Forgot to mention Bakes as a positive.

Genuine gun footballer is Baker. Massively underrated in his ability, and his importance to us.

Cool under pressure, finds the footy when he needs to, tough, hard and very good skills. He's also a very good decision maker.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

So dodgy, did you go or watch it on TV?

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
yes fair enough.

Out of players like Heyne, Steven, Lynch, McEvoy, and Armitage whom would you have played on Saturday and whom would you have replaced?

Genuine question, not trying to create an argument.

Personally I think all five of the above will get a run this year at some time or another. Mabye because of the long season it may be better to introduce these type of players gradually.

Allen would be getting a senior game regualrily if not injured.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

only players worth a place in last nights side at the moment are our three injured senior players and x .......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:only players worth a place in last nights side at the moment are our three injured senior players and x .......
Agree....plus Eddy is only coming back from injury...

Some of the kids will bob up during the year.

Team selected was best available.....

Alen may well have been playing but is injured.

As for new talent.. under RL

Gardi
King
Schneider
Ray
Dawson
Geary

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Gardi
King
Schneider
Ray
Dawson
Geary
Apart from Geary, none of that is new talent.

I'm not referring to being new to our club, I'm referring to the development of new talent.

Lyon's been at the club for a while now, and we're not seeing any evidence of his ability to tutor young players and develop them.

Red
Club Player

Two points I don't understand from Rodgers' report.

1) Playing an unproven style. How can you prove it if you don't try it.

In the past two years the Hawks and the Cats have played new styles of

football. They didn't know if they would be successful until they tried them.

2) The fascination with having just drafted teenagers immediately play in

the senior side. I'm not sure you play them just because they are new.

As a side we made the preliminary final last year, have very few injuries

at the moment, so on what basis do you play the kids. The two kids that

the coach seemed to want to play are Allen and Armitage and both are

injured. As a side I think Geary is still considered relatively new and

played only his 11th game on the weekend.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:I would add

- we had 74 tackles.
did i see correct in the stats column on the afl site under "T" that Bally had 18 tackles!!!
or does the T stand for sumthing else??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Gardi
King
Schneider
Ray
Dawson
Geary
Apart from Geary, none of that is new talent.

I'm not referring to being new to our club, I'm referring to the development of new talent.

Lyon's been at the club for a while now, and we're not seeing any evidence of his ability to tutor young players and develop them.
Hi Rodger.

Could I refer you back to my previous post on this thread and possibly ask for your response to my question?

I think you have made your opinion plain that you dont think Lyon has the ability to develop young players.

My question was if you think that any of our main draft recruits (Heyne, Lynch, Steven, McEvoy, or Amitage) from the Lyon era, should have received a game on Saturday night, and whom would have you replaced in the selected side?

Would it not be better to revisit this critisism midway or three quarters through the season to see if any of the above have had an impact on the team?

Am I correct in assuming that you think we may by heading down the Sydney path where we have an aging list with no new blood from drafting coming through? is this correct?

Lance or James??