Closing the gap...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Closing the gap...

Here's where I reckon we can improve to close the gap on the top 2 teams of '08...

Gardiner: Appears to have taken longer than expected to settle in. Whether it was injuries or something else, he seems to have his hunger back. Perhaps it's fitness, perhaps it's off field issues, but if he stays on the park, he will be a major plus in 2009.

Kosi: Finally has had a good preseason. If he can improve 10% - 20% on last year, will have a big impact.

Dal: Great start to '09. Hopefully he can remain consistant.

Ball: Looks fit and appears to be running well as well as kicking better.

Dawson: Hopefully this kid can hold down a possie all year and support Max.

Ray: Another great start. If SAturday is any example, he'll be a major contributor. Should silence the knockers on here who called him a poor man's Fiora.

Schnieds: Get him fit please.

Mids: Armo and Jack. If either can get a regular game this year, it wil be a bonus.

Rather than looking for kids etc, all we need is for a few of our existing players to play to their potential, and I reckon we're not as far away as some people think.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Correct weight.

The difference won't be two or three kids debuting......It will come from the senior players to go to the next level....

IE - Koschitzke, Ball, Dal Santo, Montagna, X Clarke, R Clarke, GIlbert and Goddard.....WIth the addition of Ray!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

And by all accounts that's exactly what's happening. The Saints even got Mike Sheahan's attention, and that's saying something:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 72,00.html

By my count there were 9 or 10 players who brought their A game with them on Saturday. If that is anything to go by, and if we can add Roo, Lenny and Max to the numbers, then we have a real contender.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

This remains RL's biggest challenge in 2009... to get the best out of these guys.

Mind you, the desire has to be player-driven to a certain extent.

It's an interesting exercise... the coach has to have the players buy into his gameplan. Then if we win and the players believe in it, they'll be motivated to work harder.

Then we get the "snowball" effect. :D

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
PJ
SS Life Member

Should silence the knockers on here who called him a poor man's Fiora.
I was wondering who actually said that because I was thinking at the time there's no comparison other than they both play footy. People get a bit excited and go off half cocked - pardon the pun. I thought it funny when Luke Darcy was asked on "after the game" why Farren couldn't deliver at the doggies - said he was forced out of the team by those doing the same job. Sign of a poor coach IMO. Rocket will be spitting.
Rather than looking for kids etc, all we need is for a few of our existing players to play to their potential, and I reckon we're not as far away as some people think.
Spot on - we've also had injuries to key players who can make a difference - Gardiner, Ball at full fitness would have made a difference in the last finals IMO.

Development of squads can happen in a number of ways and does - to talk about developing kids is a simplistic answer for simple minded people in answer to the complex problem of forming sides from a mix of different skill sets and personalities.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:
Should silence the knockers on here who called him a poor man's Fiora.
I was wondering who actually said that because I was thinking at the time there's no comparison other than they both play footy. People get a bit excited and go off half cocked - pardon the pun. I thought it funny when Luke Darcy was asked on "after the game" why Farren couldn't deliver at the doggies - said he was forced out of the team by those doing the same job. Sign of a poor coach IMO. Rocket will be spitting.
Spot on - we've also had injuries to key players who can make a difference - Gardiner, Ball at full fitness would have made a difference in the last finals IMO.

Development of squads can happen in a number of ways and does - to talk about developing kids is a simplistic answer for simple minded people in answer to the complex problem of forming sides from a mix of different skill sets and personalities.
I can't recall specific names... but sadly there was.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
lots of sense in that.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well for a team that went into round one completely under the radar, we certainly got people talking (not sure yet if that's good or bad)

Geelong and Hawthorn, 1 and 2?

Everyone seemed impressed with the doggies on the weekend, most highlighting this as the best performance of the round. This may even be the case, talented they certainly are. I am not sold that they will be able to keep this up for the season, players like Aker and Johnson....not sure.

So do we still rate ourselves 4th best in the comp? I would also love to hear people opinions on just how can we close the gap?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Threads title does read like 'dentist day' at the Collingwood cheersquad....or on second thoughts maybe thatd be....."performing a miracle"...for any dentist.

“Yeah….nah””
Saints43
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:This remains RL's biggest challenge in 2009... to get the best out of these guys.

Mind you, the desire has to be player-driven to a certain extent.

It's an interesting exercise... the coach has to have the players buy into his gameplan. Then if we win and the players believe in it, they'll be motivated to work harder.

Then we get the "snowball" effect. :D
I reckon this is exactly right. How hard the players worked (especially after a pretty poor start) on Saturday shows they believe that if they put in the individual effort the team result will be there. I'm not sure they have always believed that.

It will be interesting to see how we go converting any dominance into scoreboard results in the WCE & Freo matches.