leave Gwilt alone

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

leave Gwilt alone

i am sick and tired reading posts about Gwilt. yes he does make mistakes but so does anyone. first quarter Goddards two mistakes cost us goals.
The side lifted last year when he come in and helped out our forwards out with his long kicking.
As for Geary he tough at the ball and only improve
so leave the saints players alone

trevor barker
Solar
Saintsational Legend

struggles for intensity and does not have a football brain

just a couple of areas he needs to work on to make the grade

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Will never be anything more than a fill in IMO...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

"all of you.."

Bring back the Lockett era
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think it just that some fans at most/all clubs feel the need to have a "Whipping Boy". Our club has had its fair share over the years; Raph (last year), BJ, Dal, TS40, Lenny, Max, Tim Elliott, Jayson Daniels ................ the list goes on

Every year there is 1 or 2 at least !!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I don't believe Gwilt really falls in with the others.

When Raph was at the worst he was really costing us, he would make some unbelievable turnovers in front of goal... thankfully he looks to have put that behind him and seems capable of becoming an excellent player.

IMO Gwilt isn't one of those players who will turn it over time and time again, he will rarely 'cost you a match'.

My problem with him is that he doesn't seem to be up to it, he can't demand the ball, he can't use his body, he has no confidence and no desire to want to take control of the game, he just wants to do his job.

Unless this issue is rectified he will never become a very good player and he would simply be holding back a young kid's development.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think RL needs to put him in a position and leave him there to develop- it's no good swapping players all over the field and expecting them to develop the skills needed for a particular position -jack of all trades never works. Gwilt has all the requirements to be mid or a half forward, so he must be frustrated to be all over the shop then get dropped, as seems to be his history. I agree -get off his back.

d roit
Club Player

Whipping boy or not, the facts remain the same.

Gwilt is not, nor ever will be the quality of player required in a premiership team. If you take a good hard look at the 3 major teams contending this year, Geeling, Hawthorn and WB, Gwilt would not make their reserves.

We've seen what he's capable of, we know what to expect, its time some younger/newer players to be given a shot. We know this guy back to front, lets see what some others are capable of.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

He's just one of those players that the coaching staff sees big things in that just can't see it himself.

He's got all the tools to be a quality AFL player but I just don't think he has the belief or mongrel to make sure it happens.

Until Lynch, Heyne, etc are ready to go he will serve a purpose but he needs to have a huge break out year this year to be there next season.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

d roit wrote:Whipping boy or not, the facts remain the same.

Gwilt is not, nor ever will be the quality of player required in a premiership team. If you take a good hard look at the 3 major teams contending this year, Geeling, Hawthorn and WB, Gwilt would not make their reserves.

We've seen what he's capable of, we know what to expect, its time some younger/newer players to be given a shot. We know this guy back to front, lets see what some others are capable of.
Agree... Gwilt OUT, Lynch IN!!

Depressed
Club Player

Re: leave Gwilt alone

JABBER wrote:i am sick and tired reading posts about Gwilt. yes he does make mistakes but so does anyone. first quarter Goddards two mistakes cost us goals.
The side lifted last year when he come in and helped out our forwards out with his long kicking.
As for Geary he tough at the ball and only improve
so leave the saints players alone
Gwilt is SHYTE

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:

what has lynch done to deserve selection???

he went to the magoo's game with a few mates and didnt play...yet you think he is ready and ripe for a senior debut???

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:

what has lynch done to deserve selection???

he went to the magoo's game with a few mates and didnt play...yet you think he is ready and ripe for a senior debut???
Obviously, there are some knuckleheads on here who want players to play based on their own fantasies.

As for you FQF... what a deplorable comment to make about one of our own. :evil:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt ain't up to it at the moment - his skills are ok but he doesn't get enough of it for mine.

When Max/Maguire comes back, I'd probably keep Dawson (depending on the right opponant) and drop Gwilt.

Dawson, McQualter and Gwilt went into Saturday night knowing they may not ever get another crack at senior footy, given the amount of young kids we still have to try.

Dawson gave his career an incredible shot of confidence and McQualter couldn't have done much more in his time on the ground.

Gwilt wasn't hopeless, but he's on the fringes and simply has to get more involved in the game. Let's not forget this is his fifth year of senior football, on top of him playing against men for much of his junior career.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Gwilt ain't up to it at the moment - his skills are ok but he doesn't get enough of it for mine.

When Max/Maguire comes back, I'd probably keep Dawson (depending on the right opponant) and drop Gwilt.

Dawson, McQualter and Gwilt went into Saturday night knowing they may not ever get another crack at senior footy, given the amount of young kids we still have to try.

Dawson gave his career an incredible shot of confidence and McQualter couldn't have done much more in his time on the ground.

Gwilt wasn't hopeless, but he's on the fringes and simply has to get more involved in the game. Let's not forget this is his fifth year of senior football, on top of him playing against men for much of his junior career.
FAir call... and a much more polite way to express Gwilt's current form. :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
d roit
Club Player

After five years however, politeness can be thrown out the door, along with no.33

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Gwilt ain't up to it at the moment - his skills are ok but he doesn't get enough of it for mine.
always gets me this one - "doesn't get enough of it"

FFS it is like the guy has to get 25 possessions every game to justify his selection

Some posters are seriously living in a dream world

If every player in our team "got enough of it" (say 20 possessions) then we would be completely unstoppable and we would go thru the season undefeated

Every team in every game have players that only get 8 to 15 possessions and this is due to either the position they play or the time amount of time they spend benched

Now if we were talking about Ball or Monty or Hayes then fair enough but we are not - we are talking about a player who spends half his time on the bench and plays in a non midfield position and if it so happens that he is dropped will probably be replaced by another player who will only get 8 to 15 possessions a game

Be realistic people - as long as Gwilty does the job that he is assigned then it shouldn't matter how many possessions he gets - the fact that his skills are ok is a good thing - a very good thing!!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:

FFS it is like the guy has to get 25 possessions every game to justify his selection
You need to gather a little perspective on this one, Devilhead.

Gwilt doesn't need to pick up cheap stats but he does need to throw himself in if he's not directly accountable for a KPP opponant. I'll repeat what I said before:
Gwilt wasn't hopeless, but he's on the fringes and simply has to get more involved in the game.
Hardly unfair.

Remember, we have two potentially excellent defenders in Goose and Max who aren't in the first 22 right now, plus another quality runner in Xavier Clarke.

Somebody has to make way and I'd suggest Gwilt is perhaps one of the players who may well be considered expendable.
Last edited by evertonfc on Tue 31 Mar 2009 7:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Gwilt doesn't need to pick up cheap stats but he does need to throw himself in if he's not directly accountable for a KPP opponant. I'll repeat what I said before:
Gwilt wasn't hopeless, but he's on the fringes and simply has to get more involved in the game.
Hardly unfair.

Remember, we have two potentially excellent defenders in Goose and Max who aren't in the first 22 right now, plus another quality runner in Xavier Clarke.

Somebody has to make way and I'd suggest Gwilt is perhaps one of the players who may well be considered expendable.
On what basis? On your opinion? Or the coach's opinion?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:On what basis? On your opinion? Or the coach's opinion?
Basis of...?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Hardly unfair.

On what basis? On your opinion? Or the coach's opinion?
mate, everyone that posts on here, posts their opinion.

IMO X is a better player than Gwilt, and Lenny is a far better player than Geary...

Clinton Jones did a fantastic job on Jarrad McVeigh and kept the last year's best and fairest to just 9 disposals after quarter time, and to me he looks like the next Steven Baker....

An excellent tagging performance.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

No-one is asking for 25 possessions, but for someone to be selected in a side and make next to no impact, offensively or defensively, questions have to be asked.

If it's just consistency, and we could pick his best few games and have him play at that level 90% of games, i'd be happy with that.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

not only do people JUST concentrate on the stats, they dont account for the position played.
IF gwilt makes a mistake in the backline which results in the goal the gold fish memory of some just remember the last 5secs of play.
If NDS makes a mistake in the middle, (or doesnt chase his opponent) which results in a goal, he can get away with it.
A fumble in backline will often end up in a goal, a fumble in the middle is usually followed by a ball up.
and no Im not NDS bashing for the sake of it.

Seeya
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:No-one is asking for 25 possessions, but for someone to be selected in a side and make next to no impact, offensively or defensively, questions have to be asked.
And that, friends, is why this thread exists.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:On what basis? On your opinion? Or the coach's opinion?
Basis of...?
Your statement that he has to throw himself in more.