leave Gwilt alone

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

gwilt does his job.
he was put down back.
he cleaned up down there nicely 3 or 4 times when the ball fell back over the pack, he was there picking it up giving the hands off or clearing it
i thought he played semi alright.
not his best no,
but he doesnt have a set position he is constantly moved around
its hard to settle down and play with rhytem when your constantly changed around.
yes atm, he isnt in our best.
but, he is certainly not our worst.
ive seen people on here, gone from hating raph to loving raph
hating blake to loving blake.
he plays more and better then any of us ever could.
lets apprecitate it and not constantly bag him.

BallBanger
Club Player

Been around a long time for little/no impact..does not run and demand the ball/create
Must try new to keep up with the pack

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:Been around a long time for little/no impact..does not run and demand the ball/create
Must try new to keep up with the pack
Gwilt has the physique and the skill in kicking to be a great player, the problem IMO is his reading of the play, his decision making. and his lack of attack at the ball.

This maybe a confidence issue, he has some skills that are worth persisting with, but he needs to improve in those other areas.

If all players are fit, he is not in our best 22, and one thinks he knows this.

He just needs to improve on those areas that are lacking

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

So maybe he is only a depth player. You can't have 34 superstars on the list.

The coach will ultimately decide if he's worthy of a spot or not.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

How many games has he played he seems to have only played 40-50 games even though he is a mature player and very few together and in one position.

His role is as a fill in utility and we all know our gap filler players like blake get a great run from the fans. I still think he has posibilities but im not sure where in the team. Will always remember his final in adelaide when he backed up the harvey show.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:On what basis? On your opinion? Or the coach's opinion?
Basis of...?
Your statement that he has to throw himself in more.
This would be that summation of James Gwilt right now:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Gwilt ain't up to it at the moment - his skills are ok but he doesn't get enough of it for mine.

When Max/Maguire comes back, I'd probably keep Dawson (depending on the right opponant) and drop Gwilt.

Dawson, McQualter and Gwilt went into Saturday night knowing they may not ever get another crack at senior footy, given the amount of young kids we still have to try.

Dawson gave his career an incredible shot of confidence and McQualter couldn't have done much more in his time on the ground.

Gwilt wasn't hopeless, but he's on the fringes and simply has to get more involved in the game. Let's not forget this is his fifth year of senior football, on top of him playing against men for much of his junior career.
FAir call... and a much more polite way to express Gwilt's current form. :wink:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Ho hum

Gwilt has become the forum's favourite whipping boy for the week.

I guess that Dal, Kosi and Mini are all off-limits this week, due to the fact that they performed so well on Saturday night that even the most negative supporters can't bring themselves to criticise them.

Honest to god, do some of you get your kicks from this endless slagging on off at one or two of our fringe players who get selected and try their best?

If so, it's probably time to have a good hard look at yourselves (or alternatively, at some fascinating internet sites I can recommend, which I am sure will bring you the same satisfaction you get from having a go at Jimmy et al, but with the added bonus of getting to check out some interesting chain and leather gear at the same time :wink: ).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
spert
Saintsational Legend

We won the game, it's a team game, all players contributed, though some more obviously than others. I'm sure if you go though premiership teams you will find some who stood out, some who were servicable, and some who got a few touches but still played their part. After we win this year's flag, let's evaluate the playing list.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Gwilt has become the forum's favourite whipping boy for the week.

I guess that Dal, Kosi and Mini are all off-limits this week, due to the fact that they performed so well on Saturday night that even the most negative supporters can't bring themselves to criticise them.

Honest to god, do some of you get your kicks from this endless slagging on off at one or two of our fringe players who get selected and try their best?
Very much over the top there!

No need for such sentiments; I think there's nothing wrong with looking at areas where we can improve.

If it was pointless abuse, that's definitely not required and just a waste of time, but I wouldn't think this thread is anything like that.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
meher baba wrote:Gwilt has become the forum's favourite whipping boy for the week.

Very much over the top there!

No need for such sentiments; I think there's nothing wrong with looking at areas where we can improve.

If it was pointless abuse, that's definitely not required and just a waste of time, but I wouldn't think this thread is anything like that.
Your stuff wasn't pointless abuse, but you weren't the only poster on this thread...... :twisted:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Your stuff wasn't pointless abuse, but you weren't the only poster on this thread...... :twisted:
A french cut from me there. Apologies.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

in my view gwilt has more upside to him than downside....he is built like a brick outhouse but lacks mongrel to use his body to hurt the opposition..........a very nice boy.....no...that is wrong...he is a fine young man.......and a fine athlete to boot......now if we can teach him to play footy....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
santazzi
Club Player

meher baba wrote:Ho hum

Gwilt has become the forum's favourite whipping boy for the week.

If so, it's probably time to have a good hard look at yourselves (or alternatively, at some fascinating internet sites I can recommend, which I am sure will bring you the same satisfaction you get from having a go at Jimmy et al, but with the added bonus of getting to check out some interesting chain and leather gear at the same time :wink: ).
AMEN!!!!!!!

BallBanger
Club Player

Do we keep fringe players who are not in our best 22 for their footy life or do we turn them over after 2-4 yr period to endeaver to improve list?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Watching the replay... Gwilt did ok.

Fringe players who are able to still get a game means 1 of 2 things...

Either they deserve their spot... or the kids aren't pushing through.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Shaggy
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:Watching the replay... Gwilt did ok.

It can also mean the kids are not mature enough. We have a heap now who will not make it the next few years ... and there should not be any expectations.

Gwilt's time is now to show us what he has got. Good on RL for given him the chance to prove himself. Jimmy still has to step up another notch IMO. He should be ready.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Shaggy wrote:

It can also mean the kids are not mature enough. We have a heap now who will not make it the next few years ... and there should not be any expectations.

Gwilt's time is now to show us what he has got. Good on RL for given him the chance to prove himself. Jimmy still has to step up another notch IMO. He should be ready.
This is what gets me...

On what basis can ayone honestly judge if a player has any upside... or has reached their peak?

Maybe JG has reached his peak... and will be duly delisted if a better option comes along.

As for the "kids", how can u judge that some won't make it?

I mean, WTF is people's basis for making these judgement calls?

I reckon 99% of calls on players are made purely based on individual expectations, and nothing more.

All these throw away lines like "upside" "step up" "doesn't get enough" "list clogger". Pffft!

Shaggy
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

This is what gets me...

On what basis can ayone honestly judge if a player has any upside... or has reached their peak?

Maybe JG has reached his peak... and will be duly delisted if a better option comes along.

I reckon 99% of calls on players are made purely based on individual expectations, and nothing more.

All these throw away lines like "upside" "step up" "doesn't get enough" "list clogger". Pffft!
Thats an interesting discussion in itself WJ.

JG killed the Adelaide final in his first year. So why 4 years later should not he perform regularly at same level given that he seems to be over his injury problems which have curtailed his career? Fish after being one and half years out from footy played great first grade footy. Why should he not 2 years later play regularly at same level?

Personally I don't think any one knows or can tell until you keep playing them.

With the exception of Brooks I think RL gives the mature players a fair go to prove themselves which I think is important.

I think what we did with Murray was right ... he was given his chance when the time should have been right for him ... he was given additional games beyond performance ... and then he was culled. Jimmy should be given continuity IMO so we know where he sits.

Jimmy should be ready unlike Geary and Eddy who are just starting IMO and play accordingly sometimes :D .

And the kids are just not ready including our past two first drafts picks ... but its not their time yet.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Shaggy wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

This is what gets me...

Thats an interesting discussion in itself WJ.

JG killed the Adelaide final in his first year. So why 4 years later should not he perform regularly at same level given that he seems to be over his injury problems which have curtailed his career? Fish after being one and half years out from footy played great first grade footy. Why should he not 2 years later play regularly at same level?

Personally I don't think any one knows or can tell until you keep playing them.

With the exception of Brooks I think RL gives the mature players a fair go to prove themselves which I think is important.

I think what we did with Murray was right ... he was given his chance when the time should have been right for him ... he was given additional games beyond performance ... and then he was culled. Jimmy should be given continuity IMO so we know where he sits.

Jimmy should be ready unlike Geary and Eddy who are just starting IMO and play accordingly sometimes :D .

And the kids are just not ready including our past two first drafts picks ... but its not their time yet.
Fair enough...

I'll also add: On what basis do u judge maturity?

How many games has JG played? I don't think you start to see real progess until 50 games +

On the logic of being "ready"... Kosi should have been delisted by now.

Shaggy
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote: I'll also add: On what basis do u judge maturity?

How many games has JG played? I don't think you start to see real progess until 50 games +

On the logic of being "ready"... Kosi should have been delisted by now.
IMO its not about games but more about years and physical maturity.

I do understand it. I was lost/struggled in my first two years after school in footy.

And I am not having a go at Jimmy. He came from surburban league.

As for your rcomments re - Kosi - the bloke has done amazingly for us out of position - who in this day and age believes in a slow tall at FF unless you believe in the big punt to the forward line :D

Kosi does not deserve to be crucified by being played out of position for structural reasons with comments like yours - just IMO stupidity.

PJ
SS Life Member

Kosi does not deserve to be crucified by being played out of position for structural reasons with comments like yours - just IMO stupidity.
This sentence doesn't make sense......sorry

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Shaggy
Club Player

PJ wrote:
This sentence doesn't make sense......sorry
Fair enough. Put more plainly. People think Kosi should be played at FF for structural reasons. The same seem to think Kosi should star because they think it makes sense Kosi plays at FF because of structure.

Regardless the same who think Kosi is a FF now criticize him because he is failing in their opinion in that position.

But Kosi is not a FF and of course is going to under perform in that position.

I can't think of any decent FF who was a slow tall.
(and Kosi's performance to date is probably the best of them - at FF).

If any of it makes sense good on you ... but playing Kosi at FF makes the least sense ... let alone those who demand he plays at FF and then critisise Kosi afterwards ... IMO stupidity.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:Kosi is not a FF and of course is going to under perform in that position.
i agree. he's been given a fair run there and still looks lost. unable to lead quickly enough and rarely able to outbustle his opponents.

which isn't to say that he's not a talented and valuable player. it's just a matter of finding the spot that suits him best. i think second ruck or maybe chf.

we need a quick leading ff .

riewoldt would obviously be one option, but some would say he's more valuable at chf.

bj would be another, but some would say he's too valuable on the ball.

gilbert would be another, but some would say he's too valuable in defence.

all of which leaves kosi trying to fill a hole that he can't ... and being criticised for it.

it's a structural problem that needs fixing, imo, and will hold us back as a premiership threat this season.

defensively we were magnificent on saturday. offensively, we're not there yet.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 02 Apr 2009 7:51am, edited 1 time in total.

groupie1
Club Player

Do people remember the game Gwilt played on Fevola in Hudghton's absence either 07 or 08 (I can't remember)? Fev kicked 4, so did OK, but Gwilt stuck with him the whole game and did a very solid job. Certainly spoiled a number of marks and prevented Fev getting more, as the ball was being delivered well and quickly to him.

Could Gwilt possibly play a decoy role in the forward line? The Heatley role?

He's still young, he's built right for football.

I was throwing weight behind Raph Clarke b/c I saw he had potential when everyone else was rubbishing him, and now I'll do the same for Gwilt. He'll never be Carey, but he could just be Longmire. Never be John Goodman, may well be Danny de Vito. In a side boasting McQualter and, let's face it, C Jones, we can't afford to be casting too many stones.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:Could Gwilt possibly play a decoy role in the forward line? The Heatley role?
on the evidence of last season i doubt it. he was tried forward for quite a few games last season and kicked four goals (from memory). half back or wing for mine.