Changes Going Into Round 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Adelaide will be another good test for the saints, they are another club that has just, since last year, jumped on the rolling zone bandwagon. Everyone thinks Craigy is pretty hip with this idea - very progressive :wink:

They have got a lot of young guys playing this year and the use of the zone is only new to them - this could be exploited, some media here have found their use of it suspect. They've mainly got the new kids near the goals - Taylor Walker & crew. Media in Adelaide have just talked non stop about Walker like he's the second coming of Jesus so if we shut this guy out of the game it'll go a long way to shutting the crowd up.

Their rucks are a little suspect - Maric is now their no 1 so Gardy and King could have a good day out but it's been pretty hot here over the last few days so the boys will have to work hard. We'll need plenty of runners - thank god it's at night, I can see both teams getting plenty of numbers to the ball and running their zone up and down the ground. There will be truck loads of hand ball work. I hope lenny's ready to do a sh*t load of kilometres, perhaps this may not be a good time to bring both him and X back into the team. We're going to need our structure to hold up because if there are some unfit players they'll be found out.

Most people in Adelaide think the crows have got it in the bag, I'm really hoping to take this lot by surprise. After beating Collingwood they've gotten a little cocky about where they're at. If the hard assed saints that played last week rock up we're in good shape. We need Bakes and Dal as hard at it as they've started - this is where Adelaides kids could be found out.

Crows this year are well drilled and disciplined but not overly talented, it's going to be one of those effort for 4 quarter games. If we start like last week we could get behind and have to deal with breaking Rutten & Co down to score.

p.s. someone will need to tag Porplesia hard or he'll kick a bag. Perhaps mini!!

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
PJ
SS Life Member

p.s.s.

Shut down McLeod, Edwards & Porplesia and you are pretty much home and hosed.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

What's the deal with Leigh Fisher anyway? He got plenty of attention for his pre-season work. After X he is the oldest (uninjured) player on the list that didn't make our starting 22.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:What's the deal with Leigh Fisher anyway? He got plenty of attention for his pre-season work. After X he is the oldest (uninjured) player on the list that didn't make our starting 22.

i heard he's been very good and pushing for selection. wouldn't surprise me to see him back should a spot open up.

PJ
SS Life Member

Leigh would make a very handy inclusion especially with his new found endurance. Surprised he didn't get round 1 anyway apart from lenny I'm hoping there wouldn't be too many more changes - 2 at the max.

How far off is Armo? Sandy first I would think.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

PJ wrote:Adelaide will be another good test for the saints, they are another club that has just, since last year, jumped on the rolling zone bandwagon. Everyone thinks Craigy is pretty hip with this idea - very progressive :wink:

They have got a lot of young guys playing this year and the use of the zone is only new to them - this could be exploited, some media here have found their use of it suspect. They've mainly got the new kids near the goals - Taylor Walker & crew. Media in Adelaide have just talked non stop about Walker like he's the second coming of Jesus so if we shut this guy out of the game it'll go a long way to shutting the crowd up.

Their rucks are a little suspect - Maric is now their no 1 so Gardy and King could have a good day out but it's been pretty hot here over the last few days so the boys will have to work hard. We'll need plenty of runners - thank god it's at night, I can see both teams getting plenty of numbers to the ball and running their zone up and down the ground. There will be truck loads of hand ball work. I hope lenny's ready to do a sh*t load of kilometres, perhaps this may not be a good time to bring both him and X back into the team. We're going to need our structure to hold up because if there are some unfit players they'll be found out.

Most people in Adelaide think the crows have got it in the bag, I'm really hoping to take this lot by surprise. After beating Collingwood they've gotten a little cocky about where they're at. If the hard assed saints that played last week rock up we're in good shape. We need Bakes and Dal as hard at it as they've started - this is where Adelaides kids could be found out.

Crows this year are well drilled and disciplined but not overly talented, it's going to be one of those effort for 4 quarter games. If we start like last week we could get behind and have to deal with breaking Rutten & Co down to score.

p.s. someone will need to tag Porplesia hard or he'll kick a bag. Perhaps mini!!
Unfortunately, it is very hard to win away from home. We seem to become very reactive as a team away from home, rather than proactive.

Hope I'm wrong.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:p.s.s.

What about Vince and Knights :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:

I would back Goddard and Dal against those two...

McLeod must be shut down, he is their go to man in the back half, if you can just put him under pressure it will go a long way to shutting down their run from the back half.

Porps is one of those players who I don't feel we have a real matchup for and he could hurt us, I would probably tell CJ to wear him like a glove.

Monty could do a run with role with Edwards if he is up to it.

Thompson and Hayes will both be huge this week, if one of them comes in it could be the deciding factor for the match. If they both miss or both play we are back where we started.

We are going to need more goals from the midfield this week and Kosi is going to have to make Bock accountable, he is a very good player when given space so Kosi has to make sure he doesn't feel confident leaving him alone, even for a minute.

Hopefully Roo can step up after last week, he is a champion so I have no doubt he will...

We need to block the corridor, they love going quick and direct in numbers, so we need to hit them hard every time they try going through the centre. They are better runners but we have stronger bodies, hit them hard and hit them early and you can take some of the run out of their legs.

This is likely to be a very difficult match and I don't see either team running away with it.

IMO Stevens could be their biggest danger man, who should we put on him? Fisher, Blake or Dawson? I really don't know. I would probably want Dawson on Walker but I'm not sure if Blake would be capable of going with Stevens, will be a very interesting matchup IMO and could have a big say in the match...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Quixote
SS Life Member

Solar wrote:what i would like to see

in: x, lenny

out: raph, geary

gwilt holds his spot in the backline for now

Agreed and I think this is what we'll see.

Watched the REPLAY last night, and thought Gwilt's pressure was good to very good - had an under rated game. Especially with Raph out, he ain't going anywhere.

Geary for mine was clearly our worst, and that's not to say he had a shocker or anything, but he did look uncertain and undersized.

I think X needs to be put in the seniors and kept there.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

I would back Goddard and Dal against those two...

McLeod must be shut down.....

.....IMO Stevens could be their biggest danger man, who should we put on him? Fisher, Blake or Dawson?......
Good summary ^^^

I think Vince and Knights still get under teams guards a bit

Dawson may go to whoever plays out of the square, I don't know

Dawson -> Tippett :shock:
Blake -> Stevens

Hold your ground :shock:
PJ
SS Life Member

Dawson -> Tippett
Blake -> Stevens
These suggestions could be close to the mark. The other forward that has made a come back for them is Henchell (still not fully fit but getting close) - this is where we are going to feel the loss of Raph, we another defender to take a tall.

PJ
SS Life Member

The Saints are to welcome Lenny Hayes back into the side to meet the Crows in Adelaide on Friday night while full-back Max Hudghton may return sooner than the two to three weeks further he was expected to be missing."
i'm not holding my breath but this would be much needed good news for the back line!!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I posted this on another thread but i'll put here too

tougher match then initially thought

a lot of ppl expect the crows to slide this seaspn but they put in a decent performance against the pies and this match will be no cake walk

that being said, they struggle with us... have for a long time. The loss of Raph will be huge as we'll need all the run we can get of the back flank and we desperately need his skills in the air; Gwilt's an ok replacement but simple doesn't provide the run and X doesn't have the defensive skills.
The other factor is that Raph frees up either Fisher or Goddard and we need the extra run.

While the Crows have a decent spine by all means, their marking forwards are not intimidating and will not win them the game, esp with Burton out so if they win, I'd expect their running players to kick goals.

Geary and Jones will stay in the team and don't be surprised to see Baker tagging Mcleod on our HFF. Johncock will be a big inclusion for them and on the side, I have a lot of respect for Goodwin, who I hope we have a contingency plan for (excellent player)

Touch wood Lenny will be a big inclusion, especially if Thompson plays this week.
At this stage, I'd almost rather have Eddy in the team then X, we just can't afford to take the risk of him breaking down in this game or X being phased out when the heat is applied (which he has done b4)... Eddy is just a bit more consistant.

Need a big performance from Milne who has often terrorised the Crows at TD at least

The only change I'd do at this point is
Out Raph
In Hayes

If Raph overcomes his injury, then one would be tempted to drop Gwilt for Hayes but all things considered, Raph simply isn't a player we can afford to take chances with... body can't handle it

If we can break even/get on top in the middle, I'd like to see them stop our forwards... Roo, Kosi and Gardiner if the supply is good

PJ
SS Life Member

Again I gotta say that Gardiner is our best chance to put them on the back foot from the start - if he controls the ruck (highly likely) and gives us the use like last Saturday we will worry them no end. their defence is solid but not fast.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I watched the Pies v Crows match and there was a very obvious tactic of Crow runners coming down from the half back and centreline while a Crow player was always running straight down the guts through CHF to receive on the run. Our forwards need to play their best defensive games and not allow their opponents to get clean possessions, and maybe we could drop an extra man across our half back line. I'm sure RL and crew would have seen some pretty obvious tactics which Craig used, and also seen where the Pies went wrong, especially in their forward line...we can't isolate our key forwards one-on-one as Crows will run off too easily when the ball spills. Our smalls really need to put the pressure on in our forward line.

HarveysDeciple

Very much disagree with the stop mcleod, porps etc and your home.

One of the crows great strength's is their evenness accross the board.

Their middle teir players are quite consistent ie, Knights, Van Berlo, Vince, Johncock etc.

They always give you a sniff though as they lack some genuine class at times.
Still a very dangerous proposition this year even though I think they may slide a touch overall.

In Hayes and X
Out: Raph and Geary.

X has played some of his better games for the club at Aami Stadium so would love to see him out there.

rexy
SS Life Member

I didnt think Schneider did much, havent looked at the stats but have watched the game twice and am still not convinced that there is room in any side for two genuine small crumbing forwards, Neither Milne nor Schneider can genuinely go into the middle and Milne is the more dangerous goal kicker of the two. I would prefer to see X and hayes for Raph and schneider.

Maybe this year?
older saint
SS Life Member

Why is everyone in such a hurry for X Clarke to be rushed back into a winning side. What has he done in the last 2 years to earn such a call. He had at best a servicable 2007 at times showing glimpses of brilliance ( ala his whole career so far) and injuries. 2008 again injuries and glimpses.

Make him earn a spot through 3-4 consistant performances at a lower level, the same as L fisher, Stevens, Connor, Eddy or anyone else would do. What has he done so far that makes him a more reliable and dependable choice than say Geary ( who every other person wants dropped).

His brother has gone past him. He has talent and one day could be a very good senior player but potential is all things are being based on here.

PJ
SS Life Member

Make him earn a spot through 3-4 consistant performances at a lower level
Sorry disagree entirely with this kind of comment. It implies that X doesn't work hard enough or that somehow he has done the wrong thing. You earn a spot by playing the standard of footy required and doing the things asked of you by the coach, plain and simple. Whether a player is injured or not has nothing to do with their ability and mental approach. X could at present be in a very good frame of mind and be doing al the right things.

I ask you one question how do you earn a spot, what's your criteria?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I think we'll see Begley come into the side to replace Raph and either Geary or Gwilt come out for Hayes. This would be my side:

FB: S. Fisher - Dawson - Begley
HB: Baker - Blake - Gilbert
C: Ray - Hayes - Dal Santo
HF: Montagna - Reiwoldt - Jones
FF: Schneider - Koschitzke - Milne
OB: Gardiner - Goddard - Ball

IC: Geary - Gram - King - McQualter

EM: Eddy - Gwilt - McEvoy

Yeah nah pleasing positive
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:I think we'll see Begley come into the side to replace Raph and either Geary or Gwilt come out for Hayes. This would be my side:

FB: S. Fisher - Dawson - Begley
HB: Baker - Blake - Gilbert
C: Ray - Hayes - Dal Santo
HF: Montagna - Reiwoldt - Jones
FF: Schneider - Koschitzke - Milne
OB: Gardiner - Goddard - Ball

IC: Geary - Gram - King - McQualter

EM: Eddy - Gwilt - McEvoy
If Lenny comes in, you'd think he'd replace Geary.

Begley is the smokey. Interesting call.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Saints94
SS Life Member

IN: L.Hayes C.Begley

OUT: R.Clarke J.Geary

older saint
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:
Make him earn a spot through 3-4 consistant performances at a lower level
Sorry disagree entirely with this kind of comment. It implies that X doesn't work hard enough or that somehow he has done the wrong thing. You earn a spot by playing the standard of footy required and doing the things asked of you by the coach, plain and simple. Whether a player is injured or not has nothing to do with their ability and mental approach. X could at present be in a very good frame of mind and be doing al the right things.

I ask you one question how do you earn a spot, what's your criteria?
My criteria to earn a spot would be consistant performance, following team rules and coaches instructions AND consistancy in performance ( which includes durability). He has not shown his body is durable for 2 years now.
Personally i would like to see 3-4 games in the magoos showing his body can stand repeated performances as the pressureetc of AFL on the body would be the equivalent of 1 1/2 to 2 games inthe VFL. History says he breaks down more than a 1980 Datsun 180B, he needs to show that is no longer the case . Like everyone here Just My Opinion