leave Gwilt alone

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
groupie1 wrote:Could Gwilt possibly play a decoy role in the forward line? The Heatley role?
on the evidence of last season i doubt it. he was tried forward for quite a few games last season and kicked four goals (from memory). half back or wing for mine.
Like Jimmy but whether he is in the side or not will not win or lose us a game. Is never going to be more than a stop gap player if he plays back or forward.

groupie1
Club Player

decoy, mate. play out of the square and lead wide out for marks. drag a defender away from Kozi and Roo.

perhaps also charge in at center bounces and take someone out.
big body.

but i like your idea of on the wing. personally, in that case you'd have him back and Fish on the wing

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:decoy, mate. play out of the square and lead wide out for marks. drag a defender away from Kozi and Roo.

perhaps also charge in at center bounces and take someone out.
big body.
well you said like heatley. i remember heater kicking 70-odd in 1997.

imo, a goal-kicker is what we need, not a decoy.

groupie1
Club Player

I was referring to the 98 model Heatley - decoy for Barry Hall.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:I was referring to the 98 model Heatley - decoy for Barry Hall.
who's our current barry hall? not kosi imo.

groupie1
Club Player

dude..... be that as it may or may not be, I'm talking about a possible role for Gwilt to use him most effectively. A tall forward is gonna require a tall back. STK with 3 tall forwards in Gwilt, Roo and Kozi is gonna stretch a defense just like we did in 04 with Hamill, Roo, and G. Not suggesting Kozi and Gwilt are G and Hamill - just structurally, ya get the point.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:Not suggesting Kozi and Gwilt are G and Hamill
that's the point i'm making. they aren't and never will be, at least not as forwards.

i understand what you're saying about structure. it is not the worst idea i've heard on here, but i think we can do better.

groupie1
Club Player

orright.

fair enough

do you see Gwilt good enough to play? Where would you have him?

And as for third forward. Do you agree we need one? Who would you have?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:do you see Gwilt good enough to play? Where would you have him?
half back or wing. he's got a fair size on him and isn't afraid to go in hard. he's a lovely long kick, which is why i see wing as a possibility.
groupie1 wrote:And as for third forward. Do you agree we need one? Who would you have?
i think we need a second key forward. in other words, kosi, who i really value as a player, is a fish out of water at ff. here are some scenarios discussed in another thread.
Shaggy wrote:
bigcarl wrote:set up i'd like to see

hf: schneider, riewoldt, dal
f: milne, gilbert, kosi (changing ruck)

or

hf: gilbert, kosi, dal
ff: milne, riewoldt, schneider
i'd like to see:

hf: schneider, riewoldt, x/joey
f: milne, bj, kosi (dummy FP - playing wing/centre)

BJ to stay close to the square ... everyone else 40 meters away.
any of those would do.

groupie1
Club Player

BJ - I get the logic of wanting him close to goals. Would remind me of the Gavin Brown set-up Collingwood had.
But I generally prefer him on the ball.

Gilbert I'm not convinced of up forward. I actually like him down back. Seems to be a player ready to assume Fish duties, alongside Ray assuming Gram duties, freeing up possibly Chips to play forwardish/wing.

My forwards:
Milne Kozi Schneider
Gwilt Roo Dal

Saints94
SS Life Member

Gwilt has a lovely left foot kick............. Leave him ALONE!

4ever_saint
Club Player

I'd say, atm, Gwilt is a substitute for Maguire/Hudghton only. He makes some skill errors every so often, but as the original poster said, Goddard, Fisher...our best players make mistakes too. Hopefully over the next few weeks in the absence of our two best defenders, he steps up and contests for a permanent spot.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

4ever_saint wrote:I'd say, atm, Gwilt is a substitute for Maguire/Hudghton only. He makes some skill errors every so often, but as the original poster said, Goddard, Fisher...our best players make mistakes too. Hopefully over the next few weeks in the absence of our two best defenders, he steps up and contests for a permanent spot.
Agree about Max... but to saye the Goose is still one of our best defenders is a bit much. The guy has to start again from scratch, given his time out of the game.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
4ever_saint
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:I'd say, atm, Gwilt is a substitute for Maguire/Hudghton only. He makes some skill errors every so often, but as the original poster said, Goddard, Fisher...our best players make mistakes too. Hopefully over the next few weeks in the absence of our two best defenders, he steps up and contests for a permanent spot.
Agree about Max... but to saye the Goose is still one of our best defenders is a bit much. The guy has to start again from scratch, given his time out of the game.
True, don't know why I said that. Guess I'm still hopeful that he will make a swift return to his best and regain the form we all know he once had. Its hard not to live in the past when thinking about Goose's comback to football- considering his impact has been very little of late.

BallBanger
Club Player

groupie1 wrote:Do people remember the game Gwilt played on Fevola in Hudghton's absence either 07 or 08 (I can't remember)? Fev kicked 4, so did OK, but Gwilt stuck with him the whole game and did a very solid job. Certainly spoiled a number of marks and prevented Fev getting more, as the ball was being delivered well and quickly to him.

Could Gwilt possibly play a decoy role in the forward line? The Heatley role?

He's still young, he's built right for football.

I was throwing weight behind Raph Clarke b/c I saw he had potential when everyone else was rubbishing him, and now I'll do the same for Gwilt. He'll never be Carey, but he could just be Longmire. Never be John Goodman, may well be Danny de Vito. In a side boasting McQualter and, let's face it, C Jones, we can't afford to be casting too many stones.
Raph & x are completely diff cases to Gwilt...talent wise clarkes are miles ahead body wise gwilt is winning

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Gwilt has the strong body required for the third forward. I'm sure Lyon has figured him into the equation, but we must remember the coaches intention of having players that can play at both ends and Gwilt fits this nicely.
Like him or not, he does a job.
Until we find some one else who can play adequately at both ends he will remain in contention for a spot in our best 22. This week he will probably take the spot left vacant by Clarke. Next week who knows.
I like the idea of him playing at full forward. Strong body, reasonable hands and a good kick. Obviously the coach has other ideas.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
1eyedNever
Club Player

Bloody Hell

Nothing against Gwilt, but christ almighty he would NOT be on any other teams list .
The SKFC continually keep players who will never be up to AFL std for to long
Should have been cut 3 yrs ago let alone be still holding a young recruit out.

SKFC has now been confirmed as the AFLs BITCH
hotdish
Club Player

Re: Bloody Hell

Stick it up em Gwilty! Well played yesterday!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i dont have any problems with gwilt. improving. i reckon he is going to be around a lot longer so get used to him.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I've always thought of James as a depth player.

We all know that he's minding Raph's spot for now. He's decent enough to have a spot on the list and come into the team as needed.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote: TS40,
haha those were the good old days, Schwarta, what a player! Hair like rope and a body of an ape.

Blake and BJ used to get a masssive whipping on here a few years back. TS40 was a fave on here though.

Carpe Diem