Were we robbed of two goals ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Were we robbed of two goals ?

Enrico_Misso wrote:I was sitting on L3 behind the goals at the Northern end.

1) Looked like Roo got his foot to the ball a metre out just before the defender got his hand there but called as touched.
(That broke our run of 13 goals straight in Qtrs 2 to 3).

2) The snapshot from Gram a bit later that qtr looked to be clearly over the line before a WCE fist touched it.

Has anyone seen these on slow-mo or better on side angles ?

three actually.......roo didn't throw the ball to bj...called a throw after bj kicked the goal...clearly a hand pass...50 metre penalty on top was a joke....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Enrico_Misso wrote:
maverick wrote:Yep and add another one where Roo handballed to BJ ( i think) in the first qtr, but was called a throw.

That ump is up for a holiday next week
It was a one handed paddle of a ball that was on the deck.
Definitely not a handball.
But definitely not a throw !

clearly a handball....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ace
Saintsational Legend

WE WAS ROBBBED

Lucky for the umpires that St Kilda kicked 19 goals more than required (to win by more than 16), otherwise the umpires would and should have been lynched.

Riewoldt's handpass to Goddard who goaled in the first quarter was legitimate but the umpire who was out of position incorrectly guessed.

Riewoldt's kick off the ground in the first quarter was a goal.
If the umpire thought the defender got there first and punched it through he should have paid a deliberate rushed free kick.

Gram kick in the third quarter was clearly toouched behind the line.

The standard of umpiring just wasn't in the same class as our sainters.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:you people are losers...umpires get it wrong...much likes players

we won by 16 goals...deal kiddies deal
how dare we talk about the game today

this is the problem with the umpiring these days, no one is willing to make the call that it was wrong because certain people come out and accuss them of umpire bashing.

The level was very poor from the umpiring group today. So was the play of the eagles. Strange how we can say the second bit but not the first.........
We talk about the umpiring every week if we seem to get a bad deal. As he sp said we won by 16 goals who cares. Lets face it better to get a bad deal and win easily than getting a bad deal and lose. The umpiring hasnt hurst us in the previous 2 games. Over a year it equals itself out. They make mistakes so do the players.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:you people are losers...umpires get it wrong...much likes players

this is the problem with the umpiring these days, no one is willing to make the call that it was wrong because certain people come out and accuss them of umpire bashing.

The level was very poor from the umpiring group today. So was the play of the eagles. Strange how we can say the second bit but not the first.........
We talk about the umpiring every week if we seem to get a bad deal. As he sp said we won by 16 goals who cares. Lets face it better to get a bad deal and win easily than getting a bad deal and lose. The umpiring hasnt hurst us in the previous 2 games. Over a year it equals itself out. They make mistakes so do the players.
Yes as players make mistakes so do umpires.
As players get dropped, so should umpires.
The mistake made on the Roo handball is unforgiveable, umpires have to pay what they see, they cannot guess. On that decision alone he should go.

Personally I think this year they seem to be getting better at the holding the ball decisions, closer than any of past three years IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:

Yes as players make mistakes so do umpires.
As players get dropped, so should umpires.
The mistake made on the Roo handball is unforgiveable, umpires have to pay what they see, they cannot guess. On that decision alone he should go.

Personally I think this year they seem to be getting better at the holding the ball decisions, closer than any of past three years IMO.
Do players get dropped for one mistake. I dont think so and even some on her have said Rooy didnt handball it so it isnt clear cut. Dont worry umpires get dropped every week but we dont hear about it because we dont really care about them which is fair enough. The less said about umpiring the better.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

It was a clear handball (on the replay). Umpires don't get a replay ... even so, shouldn't guess. Umpiring is the toughest job in footy, and they will make mistakes, as the players do. I reckon they were better yesterday than the Adelaide game.

Given we won by 16 goals I say lets suck it up and move on. :wink:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: The less said about umpiring the better.
And remember that some umpires are better than others - just like footballers.

When was the last time anyone complained about umpiring in the finals or especially the Grand Final??

The umpiring was OK yesterday. The only thing I could critisise was that they spoilt my hubris with a few decisions I didn't like :D :D :D

Everybody seemed happy last week when we got twenty more free kicks than Adelaide.

I am going to try and be a bit like Mark Fine on SEN - a reformed umpire critic after the game (still will bag them during the game though :wink: ).

It make you much happier and really the umpiring is usually OK. It is the ambiguious rule intrepretations they are made to adudicate on that is frustrating.

So they made a mistake or two - will take that when we win by a 100 points. We will also get the rub of the green occasionally - remember Aussie Jones point against Brisbane in 2004?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Solar
Saintsational Legend

thats fine plugger but god help us if a game is decided by a GUESS

in fact imagine if the umpire did not see the thorton hit on savey and just guessed that davey slipped..... guessing instead of paying what they see wouldhave decided that game....

apart from that I really enjoyed the game last night BECAUSE the umpires only payed the frees that were very much there and put away their whistles when they were unsighted. Good game....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:thats fine plugger but god help us if a game is decided by a GUESS

in fact imagine if the umpire did not see the thorton hit on savey and just guessed that davey slipped..... guessing instead of paying what they see wouldhave decided that game....

apart from that I really enjoyed the game last night BECAUSE the umpires only payed the frees that were very much there and put away their whistles when they were unsighted. Good game....
Of course they are not suppossed to guess but he made a mistake. May games are decided on mistakes. North lost a game against us when King stupidly played on and we eventually got a goal because of it. We won a game when the goal umpire got it wrong against the Lions. Everyone makes mistakes unless we can come up with a better system we need the umpires even if they piss us off from time to time or in my wifes case every minute of every game.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:thats fine plugger but god help us if a game is decided by a GUESS

Of course they are not suppossed to guess but he made a mistake. May games are decided on mistakes. North lost a game against us when King stupidly played on and we eventually got a goal because of it. We won a game when the goal umpire got it wrong against the Lions. Everyone makes mistakes unless we can come up with a better system we need the umpires even if they piss us off from time to time or in my wifes case every minute of every game.
There are mistakes and there are guesses. I would hate for that umpire to not get a talking to about guessing. The stupid thing was that it should have been a point (hit the post) and the eagles would have been robbed if BJ had kicked the goal.

I don't believe the umpires place themselves in the best positions, this added to the fact that the boundary umpires cannot give feedback means that they end up guessing.

Most teams have a "don't turn 180" rule or something similar. I would be horrified if the umpiring department did not have a "don't guess, just pay the ones you see" rule.

As I said, in reality the eagles could have been screwed by the guess so it's not a "it's not fair", it's more a frustration at the guess.

Thats all I will say :)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith