Can we maintain the tackling pressure?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Can we maintain the tackling pressure?

I've been watching the Saints for almost 50 years, and I have never seen a more formidable tackling performance from a Saints team than we've witnessed in the last two weeks. More importantly, relative to the other teams at the moment, we are the best - and by a fair distance.

But, I noted Buckley's comment last week about not being able to maintain that intensity for the whole year. I suppose it not only depends on mental toughness but also on the fitness level of players. If, throughout the year, players get niggling injuries which act to prevent second and third efforts (the hallmark of gang tackling), then that level of intensity could drop off.

I can say is that our technique has improved dramatically resulting in more fair tackles and more tackles which stick. Certainly some of our lighter players seem to have gained a deal of strength over the last six months. Last year, some players had tackles broken with ease - not this year.

There is no doubt that we "intimidated" both Adelaide and West Coast and they both "dropped their bundle" in the last quarter. Given what happened to us in two of the finals last year, it's a pleasing about turn. I suppose the players had an up close lesson about what is required. It's a credit to them that they appear to have acted on it.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

structure, structure, structure

Basically if we play man on man every game we will have a drop off, but if we can maintain a zone structure and then go for the tackle (as we have in the past three game) then we will be able to maintain it all year.

I love how we zone off, make the short passes almost impossible, cause indecision and then go in for the kill. Very smart football

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Saints43
Club Player

Re: Can we maintain the tackling pressure?

perfectionist wrote:I've been watching the Saints for almost 50 years, and I have never seen a more formidable tackling performance from a Saints team than we've witnessed in the last two weeks. More importantly, relative to the other teams at the moment, we are the best - and by a fair distance.
The work rate shown across the field has been fantastic. And it's not just the tackling - it seems like ages since sheparding was a part of our game. There is a heap of it at the minute and it's really give teammates that extra half a second to compose. If this keeps up I think our general skills will look lot better than thy have done.
perfectionist wrote:But, I noted Buckley's comment last week about not being able to maintain that intensity for the whole year. I suppose it not only depends on mental toughness but also on the fitness level of players. If, throughout the year, players get niggling injuries which act to prevent second and third efforts (the hallmark of gang tackling), then that level of intensity could drop off.
I would think there would have to be some stage in the season where the intensity drops of from enough players that we will get a thumping or two. But if they go at it like they have been so far this yer for most of the season I don't think there'll be too many complaints.
perfectionist wrote:I can say is that our technique has improved dramatically resulting in more fair tackles and more tackles which stick. Certainly some of our lighter players seem to have gained a deal of strength over the last six months. Last year, some players had tackles broken with ease - not this year.
I think the conditioning staff have put some weight on those who needed it but also slimmed down a couple of players like Ball & Lenny. The players physically look like a set.
perfectionist wrote:There is no doubt that we "intimidated" both Adelaide and West Coast and they both "dropped their bundle" in the last quarter. Given what happened to us in two of the finals last year, it's a pleasing about turn. I suppose the players had an up close lesson about what is required. It's a credit to them that they appear to have acted on it.
Totally agreed.
Last edited by Saints43 on Sun 12 Apr 2009 1:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yes we can....... 8-)

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I think we can as the players will realise there's more chance of being injured going in half hearted than if they continue to tackle in a way their bodies are getting used to.

I wiuldn't mind betting however that at some stage, possibly the first part of the second half of the season that Lyon & Misson (?) may chose to taper the players off a touch before loading them up again for the run into August and hopefully deep into September. I think Neil Craig has adopted a similar startegy in the past.

jackal
Club Player

How good was Luke Ball's smother on Q Lynch? Fantastic stuff!! Awesome amount of 1%ers by this group. Just love it!

Schillaci
Club Player

It has been great to watch and it is little wonder that we are three and zip.

The season is long and we may not be able to keep it up...probably won't. All good teams get beaten and slip at some stage. What is pleasing though is that we have shown that we can do it. We must rank as one of the best teams in the comp and will have Hawthorn's and Geelong's full attention.

Whilst we are 3 zip it must be noted we have beaten Sydney, Adelaide and West Coast. No Hawks, Cats or Dogs there...but if we keep up our intensity and bring the same game against these teams we will be in the contest to the end.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Tackling and defensive pressure has been great.....

Very taxing though.

Talking with an employee of champion data and we discussed this.
Many in his office commenting at our current workrate.

No doubt we will have a flat period (could be deep) for a few weeks......

when??

Early wins crucial.

Hope the players/coaching staff can control it and its side effects
both mental/physical.

saint4life
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: No doubt we will have a flat period (could be deep) for a few weeks......

when??

Early wins crucial.

Hope the players/coaching staff can control it and its side effects
both mental/physical.
Hammer, nail, head chook23.

Recovery sessions physically and mentally are every bit as vital as these early wins.

Misson and co. now come into play more than ever.

starsign
Club Player

Wonder how much credit for our tackling improvement is due to the Storm player (mentioned in another thread ) ?
guess every bit helps and its certainly gone up a few notches

PJ
SS Life Member

I was watching the blues, bombers match last night and thinking it was incredible how much time players had to dispose of the ball. Saints apply so much pressure and so consistently across the paddock now that other games look slow. I think we can keep it up but it will depend on personel - if we keep most of this group on the park with no injuries to key players such as Goddard, Dal, Roo, Kosi, Gardy (everyone?) we'll be OK. Second tier coming in will need to pick up the slack and adjust to the speed pronto.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I was watching the blues, bombers match last night and thinking it was incredible how much time players had to dispose of the ball. Saints apply so much pressure and so consistently across the paddock now that other games look slow. I think we can keep it up but it will depend on personel - if we keep most of this group on the park with no injuries to key players such as Goddard, Dal, Roo, Kosi, Gardy (everyone?) we'll be OK. Second tier coming in will need to pick up the slack and adjust to the speed pronto.
even with no injuries WE WILL have a flat period ....

saint4life
PJ
SS Life Member

even with no injuries WE WILL have a flat period ....
Bound to... but if we can maintain the team effort/ethos we can still carve out grinding wins. Just depends on who we are playing when we do come off the boil.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.