Did we look slow against West Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Did we look slow against West Coast

Like hell we did!!!!!!!

Essentially the same team as last year - when it clicks - IT CLICKS

Believe or Burn!!!!

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Re: Did we look slow against West Coast

Sainter_Dad wrote:Like hell we did!!!!!!!

Essentially the same team as last year - when it clicks - IT CLICKS

Believe or Burn!!!!
Actually you have a point it was less than 12 months ago with virtually the same list we were labelled as being too slow :shock: :shock: :shock:

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

Yes, it is the same team but notice the following:

Luke Ball is running more freely
Jason Gram into the midfield
BJ into the midfield
Farren Ray into the midfield
Dal Santo fitter and running out games (and seemingly dealing with taggers better - can someone who was at the game confirm this?)
Joey fitter and stronger than ever.

We also look faster because we are swithcing the ball into the corridor more often and it moves faster instead of SLOWLY moving it along the boundaries.

Those are my observations and hope that others will make theirs known.

Since I live in Sydney I can't see the whole field of view so I look for further input from other SS memebers.

SaintWal
Club Player

When you play on freely you look a lot quicker than when you look sideways and back before disposal. We have a balance so far this year of knowing when to be controlling down back and when to be attacking coming off the Half back flank.

saintly_safes
Club Player

It makes a hell of a difference when you are the team making the play instead of being the reactive team that we have been for the last few years. Every saints fan was pleading for the team to change the game plan because it did not suit our structure & low & behold since we have started to back ourselves a play an attacking style of game the players seem to be invigorated & actually enjoy what they are doing .

SaintWal
Club Player

I agree. As i said I really like the balance we are starting to find. At times last year, the Freo game comes to mind, we basically won the ball and stopped. This year, so far, we win the ball, look to attack, and then if no option is apparent we bail out to a safe position.

starsign
Club Player

Did we look slow against the West Coast
Yeah we were definitely slow getting off the ground after the final siren!
They killed us for pace there!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:
Did we look slow against the West Coast
Yeah we were definitely slow getting off the ground after the final siren!
They killed us for pace there!
lol - I reckon they almost beat the siren in that regard - will have to go to the replay to be sure!

saint vince
Club Player

A sides "Speed" is directly related to bal use. YOu like lighting quick if you hit passes and keep the ball moving. The actually running speed of the players hasn't changed we are moving the ball quicker. Better bal use is how you increase your sides midfield speed.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

saint vince wrote:A sides "Speed" is directly related to bal use. YOu like lighting quick if you hit passes and keep the ball moving. The actually running speed of the players hasn't changed we are moving the ball quicker. Better bal use is how you increase your sides midfield speed.
That's a big part of it. The other part is that the team that is making the play and has the ball always looks quicker than the team chasing backsides. We've been making the play in the three games so far.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

A good barometer for our leg speed will be in two weeks time against Port, who I believe are the quickest side in the league.

But as has been pointed out, if we have the ball, move it quickly and continue with our tackling and pressure forcing turnovers it will more than compensate against a side with quicker leg speed.