Our Gameplan. Some Saints fans STILL just do not get it...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Throughout the Freo game.. (and also by some lady-twit that rang up SEN late at night to complain about the Saints last quarter)

Cries of Shitney gameplan....

We are flooding....

Just kick it...

Last quarter with the Saints in control...we just do us we have done for the whole game...and the whole year to date....that is if we have the ball no good option upfield..just to chip it around till we set one up........and if our opposition has the ball be zone up down back.

But howls near me of "now" that we are so far up "why don't we play more attacking".

Me I look at the score board and see 100 odd to bugger-all odd and think that FFS why do you think we are so far up???

Why when our gameplan is working so well (admittedly with a bit of a slight hick-up when Kosi went off and we had to adjust the structure) would we suddenly change to a "just kick it down the guts" gameplan?

The Saints are so good at present because we are squeezing the life out of our opposition forcing them to turn the ball over to us. We have no fear of the opposition winning the ball because the gameplan gives us such great ability to gain it back..if our workrate is maintained.
Greater confidence is seeing us rebound better. Not because players are just "kicking it"..but because players ate playing on more quickly and confidently and team-mates are reacting more quickly to run off and create space and options.

And YES..when that option is not there forward...they will go backwards or sideways even if we are 100 points up. this is our gameplan and we need to stick to it.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 19 Apr 2009 12:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I heard a talk back caller late last night saying something similair and the commentator could not believe that DESPITE a smashing win here could be such- 'why do they why don't they attitude'
amazing

ENjoy it .............

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

some personal favorites of mine:

"Too many handballs AGAIN"

"kick the bloody thing"

(early 3rd quarter) "You're getting thrashed Saints!"

(late 4th quarter) "If you were playing Geelong, this wouldn't work"

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

People just dont get it

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
stinger
Saintsational Legend

let's face it......most footy fans aren't real bright......even those that follow the saints.....it's just that we have a smaller % of f***-wits..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Cirra
Club Player

Plus Ross Lyon said in his press conference that he instructed the boys to slow it down in the last few minutes.
He was concerned with soft tissue injuries and the 6 day break.

We shouldn't be booing our side when we are 83 points up!

Shame on the supporters around me that did...

"When we get back on November 5 and walk through that door, we're getting on a bus together and we're going down the road to a premiership. You're either on the bus or you get run over," Roo at the B&F 2007

In 2012, I'm still on the bus.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:let's face it......most footy fans aren't real bright......even those that follow the saints.....it's just that we have a smaller % of f***-wits..... :wink: :lol: :lol:
This is very true.
Unsure why people don't realise that the world is fall of simpletons. Most footy fans aren't students of the game as such. They just follow the basics, the score.

Bring back the Lockett era
sainters man
Club Player

Its more the older generation though that dont get it, they are used to everyone being in a position and kicking it to one on one.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Cirra wrote:Plus Ross Lyon said in his press conference that he instructed the boys to slow it down in the last few minutes.

Not to mention that we played well over half the game one short on our interchange bench...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote: This is very true.
Unsure why people don't realise that the world is fall of simpletons. Most footy fans aren't students of the game as such. They just follow the basics, the score.
could some of it also be that some still do not " trust" the team to be able to use it 'wisely' when it goes into the backline, near the oppositions goals.
scared when it goes too close- I wonder if the keepings off was being done near 'Our goals' whether they would be reacting the same way.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Cut some slack guys, the last quarter was very frustrating from a turnover and overuse perspective. The problem is you cannot maintain a 6 goal advantage quarter after quarter and to be fair to the Saints players I think that concentration must have been difficult by the last quarter as Freo really are rabble. It is a bit like cricket where it is easy to concentrate whilst facing a quality bowler but you lapse when the part timer comes on. Personally I can’t wait to see how we go against some contenders as we have done everything asked of us against the opposition played to date

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Marcus1232
Club Player

The intensity was down a lot last night compared to the previous 3 weeks but i think that had a lot to do with the opposition.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Yep..been my bugbear all season...but yes I do think its the "older" fans who get frustrated that we dont play a game plan circa Moorabbin 1985 (ahem..worked well then didnt it lol)

"PICK EM UP" was my fave last night...over and over again I heard it

Oh..and before I get told off for hyprocrisy by some I sit near lol..yes I did yell "KICK IT" once last night...however it was directed to a player who was about to get mown down from behind 8-)

Really disspointed me to hear fans booing the team and calling them boring late in the last when we didnt go for the jugular and a 100+ win.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Cirra wrote:Plus Ross Lyon said in his press conference that he instructed the boys to slow it down in the last few minutes.

Not to mention that we played well over half the game one short on our interchange bench...
Both spot on. After listening to Lyon last night I finally understood what the holding the ball in the air means. Basically a change of tempo so players up the ground can conserve some energy and get some petrol back in the tank (save themselves on the hit up leads and making position to run the ball and protect the ball carrier). Especially after our structure had been altered which also effected our rotations.

I also agree with you saintbrat that there are quite a few out there that don't trust our skills (& game plan) and are awaiting a turnover in a dangerous situation.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

i agree.
I sit next to the cheer squad,
and the annoying young man behind me (cheer squad member) if his not commentating the game (my pet hate, ill listen to the radio if i want commentating) is either screamming kick it up the guts, grab him, dont kick backwards, our game plan is shite, why hold onto the ball and when theres a few minutes left and our players hold the ball up in the air, here we go again the saints are going the stuff up yet again and there going to score.

The dockers only kicked 4.4 which is a great effort. But it sadens me when i think our cheer squad is one of the worst out of the vic clubs.
Next year is back on the wing for me.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Yep..been my bugbear all season...but yes I do think its the "older" fans who get frustrated that we dont play a game plan circa Moorabbin 1985 (ahem..worked well then didnt it lol)

Oh..and before I get told off for hyprocrisy by some I sit near lol..yes I did yell "KICK IT" once last night...however it was directed to a player who was about to get mown down from behind 8-)

Really disspointed me to hear fans booing the team and calling them boring late in the last when we didnt go for the jugular and a 100+ win.

What's wrong with that?

Just because the scoreboard reflects favorably towards the saints does not mean every move they make is right.

claystreet
Club Player

sainters man wrote:Its more the older generation though that dont get it, they are used to everyone being in a position and kicking it to one on one.
Clueless post

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Some people are never happy I guess.

I think most were expecting a simular, if not better, scoring display than that of last week.

Problem was, West Coast were prepared to open the game up and have a crack and although it didn't work, it was an entertaining game to watch.....for us, that is :wink:

Fremantle seemed more concerned about not losing the game by so much, rather than even trying to win, hence all the flooding.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
saint66au wrote:Yep..been my bugbear all season...but yes I do think its the "older" fans who get frustrated that we dont play a game plan circa Moorabbin 1985 (ahem..worked well then didnt it lol)

What's wrong with that?

Just because the scoreboard reflects favorably towards the saints does not mean every move they make is right.
Nothing...if we were a point down with 2 minutes to play and we are desperate to regain control of the footy.

We cant get numbers back behind the footy AND play one-on-one all the time...and trust me there were people who were screaming it every time Freo got an uncontested posession...like we were 83 points behind not in front

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Getting within a couple of goals within a 100 point victory is like a loss

Discuss

Bring back the Lockett era
python
Club Player

it is frustrating, just enjoy the fact were smashing a team....the only problem i could see was that freo in the second half were getting it out of our 50 on occasions far too easily (i am being picky), but there always seemed to be one of there guys all alone in the centre of the ground on our arc ready to run it through the middle. I dunno if it was cos kosi was out, but i think that that was i little concerning cos it definitely wasnt there rds 1-3 and we cant let good sides have that option.

But again slightly picky, as it was a good win

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Getting within a couple of goals within a 100 point victory is like a loss

Discuss
classic!!!

Yes, there are plenty of simpletons at the footy, and tonnes more in Australia in general.....we aren't a country full of the smartest tools in the shed (it's what you get being founded by convicts :lol:), but nonetheless a great place to live....that's the guts of it!

Back to footy - did anyone notice Freo had about 10 contested marks to 4 from us?

Perhaps we needed to move the ball laterally often to avoid contests and subsequent turnovers!

I loved all the handballing and sideways ball movement. One thing in Freo's favour was effective zoning/flooding that they employed. We were simply too patient and too accurate with our foot and hand passing to counter their flood. It was a more open game (we laid only 51 tackles, down plenty on previous weeks).

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Can't think which game it was now, but a commentator last night was amazed by the fact that 700-odd players all know exactly what "the secret code" of holding the ball above their head means...but not one out of 3 million a week who watch it understand it.

sainters man
Club Player

claystreet wrote:
sainters man wrote:Its more the older generation though that dont get it, they are used to everyone being in a position and kicking it to one on one.
Clueless post
What do you mean? :roll:

At the games is it not the older people saying "kick it long"
"stop handballing it"
"dont slow it down" etc
all the games i have been too i dont hear many young ones saying that, its more the older people that arent or dont get the zone tactics which makes sides chip it around because they have been used to the bang it long no zone football which they have to get over

soo think before you have a crack mate

SaintDebi
Club Player

What do we want? More members for the club, or only those with perfect football nouse and coaching qualifications attending our games?
I wouldn't give up my membership for anything, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit there in silence in case my lack of coaching ability happens to offend somebody nearby.
Yes, I understand the "new" game, Yes, I know how the zone defense works, Yes I understand the reasoning and benefits of "tempo" footy, Yes, I see how rule changes have meant players need to adapt their game:
BUT....
Yes, I am passionate and I get caught up in the excitement of the moment, and Yes, I will probably call out "instructions" at times that the newest auskicker would shake their heads at.
Yes, I have yelled out "kick it! (usually, but not exclusively when a player is about to be mown down). Yes, I have been frustrated at chipping and kicking backwards (have NEVER booed though), and Yes, I have screamed out which player I can see on a lead or ready to take a pass.

None of this means that I think the team needs my advice, or that I know better than they do, or that I don't have a reasonable understanding of footy, or even that I think our game plan sucks. It just means that I am fortunate enough to support the best team in the league, lucky enough to attend the games, and passionate enough to want to make some noise and feel involved.
Hardly a crime really, is it?