Our Gameplan. Some Saints fans STILL just do not get it...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

claystreet
Club Player

I am one of the so called OLDER people mate and your talking crap. I know the game pretty much inside out as do alot of my OLDER friends. I see more than just one age group absolutely clueless to the game plan of modern day football. So before you discriminate against so called OLDER people, take a good look in your own back yard kiddies.

Funny thing is my 14yo nephew and his mates will ask me why the f**k are we playing like this or that, so much for the older people.

:roll:

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="jonesy"]Getting within a couple of goals within a 100 point victory is like a loss

Discuss[/quote]

Against Fremantle it should count as a loss.
They are so pathetic.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
matrix
Saintsational Legend

8 page epic here we come.....

kaos theory
Club Player

Guys,

The biggest factor in our less intensity & more chipping, especially in the second half, was because we were down one player for most of the game.

- Therefore, we couldn't rotate the mids as much

- Therefore, we needed to conserve our players, so,

- Therefore we employed the chipping

Good, sensible strategy. Why risk injury & over strain the mids buy trying to play continous attacking play when you are 10+ goals up, and you got another game (interstate) in 6 days time?

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Don't try and use common sense on this forum KT, it is simply a foreign way of life!!!!!!!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Cirra wrote:Plus Ross Lyon said in his press conference that he instructed the boys to slow it down in the last few minutes.
He was concerned with soft tissue injuries and the 6 day break.

We shouldn't be booing our side when we are 83 points up!

Shame on the supporters around me that did...
agreed

and in the situation, it was actually better to just hang on to the ball because if freo scored 1 goal and we scored 1 goal our percentage was actually going to go down.

Add the short week and only having 21 men for almost the whole night and it was a smart move by the coach.

I heard that silly women the other night and rolled my eyes. She also had a go at jason blake and raph clarke as average backman :roll:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Solar
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:What do we want? More members for the club, or only those with perfect football nouse and coaching qualifications attending our games?
I wouldn't give up my membership for anything, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit there in silence in case my lack of coaching ability happens to offend somebody nearby.
Yes, I understand the "new" game, Yes, I know how the zone defense works, Yes I understand the reasoning and benefits of "tempo" footy, Yes, I see how rule changes have meant players need to adapt their game:
BUT....
Yes, I am passionate and I get caught up in the excitement of the moment, and Yes, I will probably call out "instructions" at times that the newest auskicker would shake their heads at.
Yes, I have yelled out "kick it! (usually, but not exclusively when a player is about to be mown down). Yes, I have been frustrated at chipping and kicking backwards (have NEVER booed though), and Yes, I have screamed out which player I can see on a lead or ready to take a pass.

None of this means that I think the team needs my advice, or that I know better than they do, or that I don't have a reasonable understanding of footy, or even that I think our game plan sucks. It just means that I am fortunate enough to support the best team in the league, lucky enough to attend the games, and passionate enough to want to make some noise and feel involved.
Hardly a crime really, is it?
I think it's when people start to abuse players or just believe that kicking it long is the answer all the time. I remember a passage of play in round one where we went backwards, across the ground and found space and a hard leading kosi. This lead to an exciting goal from gilbert. But people boo'd because we kicked backwards.... they didn't look up and relise that there was 20 players 40 metres up the line and therefore the smart move was to switch it. They also did not look up at the other wing and notice a hard running kosi.

that annoys me to death.....

I'm all for booing the opposition and getting behind the boys when their zoning forces the opposition back..... anyway thats my bug bear and it has nothing to do with me knowing anything more then you deb

FQF
In richo I trust

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:I heard that silly women the other night and rolled my eyes. She also had a go at jason blake and raph clarke as average backman :roll:
So it proves stinger is actually a woman...... :wink:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
Solar wrote:I heard that silly women the other night and rolled my eyes. She also had a go at jason blake and raph clarke as average backman :roll:
:lol:

FQF
In richo I trust

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote: Both spot on. After listening to Lyon last night I finally understood what the holding the ball in the air means. Basically a change of tempo so players up the ground can conserve some energy and get some petrol back in the tank (save themselves on the hit up leads and making position to run the ball and protect the ball carrier). Especially after our structure had been altered which also effected our rotations.
Commentary be it radio or TV has done a disservice to the ball in the air. It's like having figured out what it meant once, they stopped trying to decode forever after.

Most times I've seen the Saints put the ball in the air in '09, what's followed is not a chip kick at all, but a long kick up the boundary line to Gardiner or King.

As you say, it's about position and tempo, not simply "hold up the game". Not even hold onto the ball...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
stinger
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:

wtf you on about.........i never have a go at the players..... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gooner
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:Can't think which game it was now, but a commentator last night was amazed by the fact that 700-odd players all know exactly what "the secret code" of holding the ball above their head means...but not one out of 3 million a week who watch it understand it.
I am really enjoying that this season.
I think it is fantastic of the AFL to bring in a signal for those in the crowd whose turn it is to get the beers in.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Marcus1232 wrote:The intensity was down a lot last night compared to the previous 3 weeks but i think that had a lot to do with the opposition.
i agree with that. the intensity was down. but the opposition was really bad.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Gameplan. Some Saints fans STILL just do not get it

saintsRrising wrote:We have no fear of the opposition winning the ball because the gameplan gives us such great ability to gain it back..

I agree with what you've written, people don't get it generally. To be fair though, the majority of footy fans don't neccessarily want to. They want to go, get entertained, watch their team win and yell and scream a bit.

The above bit of you post I don't agree with. I think one of the key changes to our playing style is that we don't allow easy posession to our opponents. For the past 2 years we have, and they've made us pay.

Good teams will dissect us if we allow them posession of the ball.

If what you say is correct, then we're rooted.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I"m enjoying stress free wins.

blood pressure is down.

dan is happy.

no tears from me.

After every game we play, the calls come that 'but the opposition is crap'.

no doubt IFwe win a flag, they'll say 'but the opposition was crap'.

don't really post here any more, but i do still read and so far enjoying season 09.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
markp
Saintsational Legend

I'm happy for us when we're in a position to take the foot off the pedal for the last 5 minutes and chip the ball around.... multiply that time by 22 rounds and it's gotta help.

I do find it funny when we switch play and people yell "Nooo, don't go backwards!", then they say "Yeah, that's better!" when the tactic is successful and we deliver the ball deep into our forward 50... like the players took heed.

I'm no Kasparov, but I know when we've got the ball and we're 80 points up it's all good.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:don't really post here any more, but i do still read and so far enjoying season 09.
welcome back dan

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah good to read a Warna post Dan :D

Very happy with the gameplan at the moment.

Not so much against Freo, but the three weeks prior were VERY satisfactory games to watch.

I really enjoy watching a team lay 60+ tackles and make them pay nearly every time. Its the way it should be.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Simple really...

About 5% of football goers actually understand the game, and have been following it for long enough to understand how it evolves...

The rest like like the taste of beer...

Liam_G
Club Player

I simply hated that fact that, these guys have just worked their butts off to get to an 80+ point lead, are undefeated so far this season, sitting top of the ladder with a mammoth percentage, yet there were many "supporters" (I use that term very loosely) in the crowd who thought they had the right to BOO, actually BOO! the players in the final quarter. I'm sorry, but that is totally uncalled for.

And then 5 minutes later the same people are cheering for the win. Pathetic. I don't give a rats about 'in the heat of the moment'. What gave "supporters" the right to boo St.Kilda football club players when they have worked their butts off so far in season 2009. Absolutely pathetic.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

You need to remember though, that the AFL is marketed as entertainment.

Clubs market it this way, the AFL do and the TV stations certainly do.

So most people that go are there for entertainment. The fact that there is a contest going on is pretty much irrelevant to most footy followers these days.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:You need to remember though, that the AFL is marketed as entertainment.

Clubs market it this way, the AFL do and the TV stations certainly do.

So most people that go are there for entertainment. The fact that there is a contest going on is pretty much irrelevant to most footy followers these days.
Well maybe they should just shove another hotdog down their gobs.

Depressed
Club Player

Liam_G wrote:I simply hated that fact that, these guys have just worked their butts off to get to an 80+ point lead, are undefeated so far this season, sitting top of the ladder with a mammoth percentage, yet there were many "supporters" (I use that term very loosely) in the crowd who thought they had the right to BOO, actually BOO! the players in the final quarter. I'm sorry, but that is totally uncalled for.

And then 5 minutes later the same people are cheering for the win. Pathetic. I don't give a rats about 'in the heat of the moment'. What gave "supporters" the right to boo St.Kilda football club players when they have worked their butts off so far in season 2009. Absolutely pathetic.
The money that I paid at the gate gave me the right, you stupid DYK.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Of course they could always go and watch a Richmond/Melbourne game - they were always TRYING to go forward - from one end of the square to the other - and back again. Under 10's tr and go forward every time too. There has to be some science to it.

Give me our Game plan any day of the week!

Believe or Burn

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Depressed wrote:
Liam_G wrote:I simply hated that fact that, these guys have just worked their butts off to get to an 80+ point lead, are undefeated so far this season, sitting top of the ladder with a mammoth percentage, yet there were many "supporters" (I use that term very loosely) in the crowd who thought they had the right to BOO, actually BOO! the players in the final quarter. I'm sorry, but that is totally uncalled for.

The money that I paid at the gate gave me the right, you stupid DYK.
I think this reply, on top of previous posts, confirms that Depressed is our latest troll.

I wonder if Nexus has returned?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....