Gwilt Vs Goddard - Who is the better kick?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beej
Saintsational Legend

If Gwilt's kicking was anywhere near as good as Goddard's he'd be rated as highly as Goddard is.

That's exactly why BJ is the player that he is and rated as highly as he is - his foot skills.

In terms of the combination of power and precision in kicking - Gwilt doesn't come close.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I am a tad surprised at this thread and its support...no disrespect to the OP...nor Gwilt who is a lovely kick when he is up and going but in my opinion not patch on BJ.

BJ hits targets at all lengths and angles. He is the best at our club and in the top 5 of the league. Look at the way he spins the ball in his hands pre kick and drops it perfectly on his foot with astonishing balance. He is an amazing.

Gwilt is a fine penetrating kick but not in the same league.

Lets not forget goddsy's bomb against freo - that has to be one of the longest goals in the history of footy!

#1 Ryder fan
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Goddard's the best kick in the comp. Never misses a target off both sides of the body and can kick off one step.
Gwilt is one of the clubs better long kicks, and probably one of the few at the Saints who can kick a goal form outside 50.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The two best kicks in our team -that is they can kick long and are accurate most of the time..BJ is the better of the two, but the thing I like is the way all the second tier players are putting in this season and Gwilt will only improve. He did a great intercept on the run through a pack the other night and grabbed possession from Freo and set up an effective play..showed a good football brain.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

BringBackMadDog wrote:Once he gets 50 games under his belt and works on his fitness he will be a fantastic player for us for years to come.
Touché, Goddard is a much better decision maker but look at the disparity in AFL games - 117 to 30. They are of similar height and build, but Goddard is a year older and Gwilt hasn't had the kind of start to his career that Goddard has.

I thought last year Gwilt had a problem with giving away frees through careless tackling, decision making under pressure, and commitment to the contest. This year problems 1 and 3 seem to have disappeared, and I like to think that by the end of the year problem 2 will be much improved as well.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Goddard is a much better decision maker but look at the disparity in AFL games - 117 to 30.
Not to mention the fact that Goddard probablt started kicking a footy from the time he could walk and playing in organised games from about 8 whereas Jimmy only started playing as a teenager.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Re: Gwilt Vs Goddard - Who is the better kick?

bigcarl wrote:gwilt's a beautiful kick and a good, tough competitor, too.

not sure that he has bj's goalkicking nous though. that's something you're born with.
I am not sure about Gwilt being a "good, tough competitor", Bigcarl...I thought he wimped a few contests on Sat night. Part of it is because his closing speed is not great, which means he often gets second to the ball, but in those situations he nevertheless needs to go harder at it.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
Solar
Saintsational Legend

does dal get a look in or is this a "best long kick" pissing compl :P

kicking isn't always hitting a player 50 metres away, as has already been mentioned kicking into space and demanding the forward lead up to the ball is one of the arts of AFL kicking. Dal and BJ both do this very very well

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gwilt Vs Goddard - Who is the better kick?

Mr X from the West wrote:I am not sure about Gwilt being a "good, tough competitor", Bigcarl...I thought he wimped a few contests on Sat night. Part of it is because his closing speed is not great, which means he often gets second to the ball, but in those situations he nevertheless needs to go harder at it.
must say i did not noitce this.

saintjake
Club Player

and id like it to be pointed out
that i am mister J.Gwilts number 1 fan
and when i have posted in his defence in the past.
or posted for him to be brought back into the team
or to play that 3rd tall foward role i have been shot down in flames.
so let it be known everyone,
all you bandwagon jumpers.
saintjake - previously jimmygwilt(changed it seemed wrong to name after a player) is the mans number 1 fan.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Look at the way he spins the ball in his hands pre kick and drops it perfectly on his foot with astonishing balance. He is an amazing.
I'm not too sure how spinning the ball in your hands pre-kick improves kicking ability but it does look pretty cool. :lol:

And yes, astonishing balance and more importantly, timing.

Timing is what good, long kicking is all about. Footballers can practice their whole lives and never be long kicks.

It's not so much about leg strength as it is about timing. Timing is the key ingredient and that is something you either have or you don't. It's a talent.

Best and most accurate long field-kicks in the comp:

(In no particular order)

Gilbee
Hodge
Deledio
Goddard

You may be surprised by Deledio in that list but that kid can flat-out kick a footy.

Stuart Dew's field-kicking is not anywhere as good as his goal-kicking.

Nick Stevens would be right up there, too, but he plays for Carlton.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Has a part of Gwilts improvement been that he has played more in the forward line this year?

To me he is a good HF, gets a bit lost in traffic from HB.

BJ the best kick by the way, I include goal kicking which BJ excels in, Gwilt is just good.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: To me he is a good HF, gets a bit lost in traffic from HB..
I know goals aren't everything for a forward, but I'd like to see more of them from him if he's going to be used in that role.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Can't I like them both :wink:

maverick
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
maverick wrote: To me he is a good HF, gets a bit lost in traffic from HB..
I know goals aren't everything for a forward, but I'd like to see more of them from him if he's going to be used in that role.
Yeah, you're right of course, but I think they will come, but his elading up and long kicking keeps Roo closer to goal and in turn makes our forward line less predictable and much more dangerous.

With Milne, Schneider, Gwilt, BJ, Roo and Kosi, suddenly the goals can be spread, something we have lacked since 04/05 IMO.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BJ - with ease........Gwilt can bang it hard......and long....but

great kicks can kick short, weight kicks, kick to position, kick deep, lob and use both feet......all effectively...

and why is Gwilt a 'great athlete'
he aint quick
he has a poor motor
he looks strong - but does not use strength when playing
he is not overly tall

what component of his athletesism makes him great?

he is going alright, and is a handy back up utility.....his main weapon is his kicking......his weakness......consistency of ball winning.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

BJ best kick in the league

TassieJones
Club Player

remboy wrote:Goddard's the best kick in the comp. Never misses a target off both sides of the body and can kick off one step.
Gwilt is one of the clubs better long kicks, and probably one of the few at the Saints who can kick a goal form outside 50.
Exactly mate. Gwilt's a great kick but f*** me better than Goddard? No one in the world can claim that at the moment.
OLB wrote: Gilbee
Hodge
Deledio
Goddard

You may be surprised by Deledio in that list but that kid can flat-out kick a footy.
Then how did he manage to lose an AFL goal kicking challange to two blokes who don't even play footy? One of which doesn't even play a sport involving kicking! Good kick but not great

Dew on the other hand, if he couldn't kick he would have nothing giong for him and wouldn't be on a list. Same goes for Shannon Hurn from the eagles, ridiculously good kick but lacking in other areas of the game.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:I must say that the very fact that we are discussing in the same breath the skills of a #63 draft pick with a limited prior football background with those of a junior champion who was #1 in a strong draft year speaks volumes for how well Mr Gwilt is going ATM.
Did Gwilt have a "limited prior football background"? Not sure if he was born here or came at a young age but I thought he played footy for a long time. He's also a good cricketer.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

TassieJones wrote:
remboy wrote:Goddard's the best kick in the comp. Never misses a target off both sides of the body and can kick off one step.
Exactly mate. Gwilt's a great kick but f*** me better than Goddard? No one in the world can claim that at the moment.
OLB wrote: Gilbee
Hodge
Deledio
Goddard

Then how did he manage to lose an AFL goal kicking challange to two blokes who don't even play footy? One of which doesn't even play a sport involving kicking! Good kick but not great

Dew on the other hand, if he couldn't kick he would have nothing giong for him and wouldn't be on a list. Same goes for Shannon Hurn from the eagles, ridiculously good kick but lacking in other areas of the game.
You're not talking about that Australia's Greatest Athlete tv show are you? Between you and me, they may not take that very seriously.

Dew's a prodigious long kick, no doubt.

However, it's a lot more difficult hitting a running target over 50m than it is a goal which is 6.4 metres apart and as high as you like. Dew's field kicking is not as good as his goal-kicking.

The above list stipulates "Best and most accurate long field-kicks in the comp:"

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I see your Gwilt and Goddard, and raise a Gilbert!

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

BJ by the length of a Jimmy G kick.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Jason Gram. Best kick ever from outside fifty. Or at least he seems to think so...

Yeah nah pleasing positive
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:and why is Gwilt a 'great athlete'
he aint quick
he has a poor motor
he looks strong - but does not use strength when playing
he is not overly tall

what component of his athletesism makes him great?

he is going alright, and is a handy back up utility.....his main weapon is his kicking......his weakness......consistency of ball winning.
I agree with you BM. Gwilt has serious asthma and he frequently looks seriously puffed on the field. He's reasonably quick, but not outstandingly so. I think he has been using his strength a bit more this season, but he isn't exactly Fraser Gehrig.

If you can be bothered, go back and read sRr's definition of the difference between an "athlete" and a "footballer" on page 1 of this thread. I personally couldn't make head or tail of it, but perhaps you can.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Beej
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Jason Gram. Best kick ever from outside fifty. Or at least he seems to think so...
So true. :lol:

Don't think I've known anyone to totally shank a footy more than Grammy. It's funny though because when his timing is right he's a lovely, long kick.