Ross Lyon is a bloody genius?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shaggy
Club Player

marksnsparks wrote:I think it is time to acknowledge the last great thing Rod Butrss did for this club. Signing RL.

Vision beyond comparison?
I think Walls had a bit to do with it and getting Walls in the first place on the committee is not some-thing I would have ever agreed with.

Regardless you are right ... RL has turned into the Man ... and without him our team would not be performing how they are and there is no replacement.

Life is full of circumstances that lead to paths that people follow. I am still not convinced RB deserves the credit but who cares anyway :D .

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

For those that concern themselves with Dal being a tad quiet, I suggest you go back to Bigmart's pre-game post.

Dal did his job. Wee Cornes was rendered useless and was kept back close to goal for extended periods.

RTB knew we had more contributors lining up and Dal played his role.

Great organisation.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
marksnsparks wrote:I think it is time to acknowledge the last great thing Rod Butrss did for this club. Signing RL.

I think Walls had a bit to do with it and getting Walls in the first place on the committee is not some-thing I would have ever agreed with.

Regardless you are right ... RL has turned into the Man ... and without him our team would not be performing how they are and there is no replacement.

Life is full of circumstances that lead to paths that people follow. I am still not convinced RB deserves the credit but who cares anyway :D .

Short memories on this forum.....RF reckons that RB lied to us because he indicated that Lyon would take us to the next step...

On RB.....and all this hohar on Walls.....RB appointeda PANEL of people to decide who our next coach would be.

Yes a PANEll...not Robert Walls.

Ross Smith a former Captain , Coach and Brownlow Medalist of the StKFC wasa key driver on that PANEL.

People can bitch and moan as much as they like...and while RB did make the mistake of geting intoa fued with GT (probably for very good reasons)....he did have the sense to get people woth football expertise to make the football decisions.

From what I have seen from Day One that PANEL made an in depth and well conisdered decision...even though a number on this forum write CRAP that Walls chose Kyon.
Walls did not..a PANEL did.

As for GT..justa week or so back he had the opinion that as he had PLAYED with Ross (which evidently wasa massive one game)..that he KNEW Ross and that Roos did not have what it took to bea AFL Coach.

Baxck on RB....he also had the sense to get Ross smith who is also a sports scientist to look into and oversee our football injury woes and a process to overcome them.

Well done Ross...you have served the Saints very well.

The downside of RB was that he let GT run amok for too long after putting him in place through inappropriate means...but at least he undid the damage he did before he left.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Shaggy
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

Short memories on this forum.....RF reckons that RB lied to us because he indicated that Lyon would take us to the next step...

On RB.....and all this hohar on Walls.....RB appointeda PANEL of people to decide who our next coach would be.

Yes a PANEll...not Robert Walls.

Ross Smith a former Captain , Coach and Brownlow Medalist of the StKFC wasa key driver on that PANEL.

People can bitch and moan as much as they like...and while RB did make the mistake of geting intoa fued with GT (probably for very good reasons)....he did have the sense to get people woth football expertise to make the football decisions.

From what I have seen from Day One that PANEL made an in depth and well conisdered decision...even though a number on this forum write CRAP that Walls chose Kyon.
Walls did not..a PANEL did.

As for GT..justa week or so back he had the opinion that as he had PLAYED with Ross (which evidently wasa massive one game)..that he KNEW Ross and that Roos did not have what it took to bea AFL Coach.

Baxck on RB....he also had the sense to get Ross smith who is also a sports scientist to look into and oversee our football injury woes and a process to overcome them.

Well done Ross...you have served the Saints very well.

The downside of RB was that he let GT run amok for too long after putting him in place through inappropriate means...but at least he undid the damage he did before he left.
You and I are on totally different planets but who cares :D (and that is not a dig at Ross Smith who has been amazing achiever on and off the field).

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

This is pretty simple - a mob got elected on a ticket of more football expenditure. They had a coach, a quiet man, who was working to bring a winning style to the side.

Not long after we have a side on top, playing only fit footballers, with good talent waiting in the wings. We have a club with a full book of up and comers and a current % over 200.

"Windows"? Bill Gates only.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

This is pretty simple - a mob got elected on a ticket of more football expenditure. They had a coach, a quiet man, who was working to bring a winning style to the side.

Not long after we have a side on top, playing only fit footballers, with good talent waiting in the wings. We have a club with a full book of up and comers and a current % over 200.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Shaggy wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:He has got the players to a level were they are selfless ultra team orientated & the work rate is unbeleivable . They just pressure teams to an extent they cannot function in a normal way. I dont think Geelong have exerted that much pressure on teams for such a long period. Was the preseason a smoke screen to decieve everyone ? If it was then he is a super coach. Look at guys like Gwilt , Mc Qaulter, Jones ,Geary, Dawson ,& Eddy tonight they have stepped up so much it has to be a coach related thing.Confidence is a huge thing & to see the guys just giving thier all & reaping the rewards is nothing short of " saintsational"
Good call.

But the bottom 6 are stepping up IMO because of the top 18 which IMO depends on the coach.

And we have 4 of our top 15 to come back IMO. We are seriously in for the year of our lives as Saints supporters.
No shaggy you still dont get it.

We are NOT carrying people - we just saw Dal/Montagna largely cut out of the game and I would argue carried a little by the Gearys, Jones, Dawsons of the world....thats NOT the "top 18" carrying anyone.

You need to understand that FINALLY this coach knows how to get the WHOLE team to buy in and play TEAM football. No over reliance on individuals- even at selection NO favorites (Eddy over X had many questioning...Lyon doesnot play that way). And whether you like it or not - he has REGENERATED a list that had holes (see some of tonights tap ruck work) AND overhauled the previous ridiculous fitness and conditioning team at the club.
I thought last night made it clear how overrated the concept of 'depth' is, and how the difference between us being a contender and an 'also ran' is once again quite simply injuries to key players.

With King off the ground, e were smashed.

With Dal, Ball, Hayes and Joey all getting close tags - the second and 3rd stringers were pretty much on their own.

And they made the most of it.

Take one or two of those guns out, or even slow them down with a niggling injury, and suddenly your second and 3rd stringers get decent players shutting them down.

I would have thought our second half without 1 key player might have made clear.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Excuse me?? Am I the 'RF' you refer to???

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: With King off the ground, e were smashed.
Er, when were we smashed?... when we went from 12 goals up to 11 goals up?

When we put the cue in the rack and let Blake ruck out the game?

When?

It's obvious (and sad) that you are not enjoying this one bit... but maybe it's time to give it away, rather than trolling about and trying to p1ss on everyone else's chips.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Shaggy wrote:
Teflon wrote:Credit to the great man...Im sure Mehebable will be along to tell us how hes just turning us into "sydney" or Dodgyfox will tell us how hes just managed the "core"...or maybe saints 43 can tell us how he "cant work out the fuss...and the coach hasnt done anything yet..." :lol:

Every circus needs clowns.... :wink:
Fair go Tef. You are the one who said our list wasn't good enough. Today's team was very similar to the ones which lost the big games last year.

So maybe Mehebable and Dodgyfox should not be crucified ... they did believe in the list even if they had a go at the coach ... at least they believed in the list which some didn't :D .

As for RL .... Yes he has them all purring. Gun coach 3 years in ... there has never been a side start a year like we have this year ... we are seriously in and RL must take the most creditt :D ).

I look forward to his book on the past which will only come out if we win the flag :D .
I didn't think our list was good enough either and still don't believe it's as good as what it was 4 years ago and that makes further point of how well as a team RL is coaching us.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Smashed wasn't a great term to use. To be more precise, we went from outscoring them by 70 points, to each kicking 2 goals.

I'm not really happy tiwh that, and I'd be very surprised if Lyon was too.
markp wrote:When we put the cue in the rack and let Blake ruck out the game?
Lyon's body language at 3/4 time certainly didn't suggest the cue was in the rack at all.

Obviously we played it safe with Gardiner staying off and left Blake in there with King missing next week.

But we lost a key player, and instantly it impacted us.

markp wrote:
It's obvious (and sad) that you are not enjoying this one bit... but maybe it's time to give it away, rather than trolling about and trying to p1ss on everyone else's chips.
Fair go.

I'm enjoying it greatly. Granted, not as much as I would have 5 or 10 years ago, but I'm certainly enjoying it.

That's not to say I don't think we can, should and need to improve.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Keepin it real eh Rodg :roll:

Seriosuly how boring are you

Why dont you live a little and enjoy the moment

We won by 11 goals, we are sitting top of the ladder with 212 % and still you criticise

How anal can one person be??????????????

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:With King off the ground, e were smashed.
What an unbelievable distortion generator you are.

With King off the ground, we still won every quarter.

yipper
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:[

With King off the ground, e were smashed.
HaHa. What a sweeping statement. Smashed hey Rodg?? Smashed?? We outscored them in every quarter!!! Just when precisely were we smashed??

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Saints43
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Credit to the great man...or maybe saints 43 can tell us how he "cant work out the fuss...and the coach hasnt done anything yet..." :lol:
Ross is doing a great job. Long may it continue. He is getting the best out of the resources (players, processes & facilities) available to him. I think that's all that anyone has been asking for.

yipper
SS Life Member

[quote="Saints43"
Ross is doing a great job. Long may it continue. He is getting the best out of the resources (players, processes & facilities) available to him. I think that's all that anyone has been asking for.[/quote]

Aah yes indeed. But we were apparently smashed when King went off!! Smashed I tell ya!!

:lol: :lol:

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:
Smashed wasn't a great term to use. To be more precise, we went from outscoring them by 70 points, to each kicking 2 goals.

I'm not really happy tiwh that, and I'd be very surprised if Lyon was too.
markp wrote:When we put the cue in the rack and let Blake ruck out the game?
Lyon's body language at 3/4 time certainly didn't suggest the cue was in the rack at all.

Obviously we played it safe with Gardiner staying off and left Blake in there with King missing next week.

But we lost a key player, and instantly it impacted us.

markp wrote:
Fair go.

I'm enjoying it greatly. Granted, not as much as I would have 5 or 10 years ago, but I'm certainly enjoying it.

That's not to say I don't think we can, should and need to improve.
welcome to AFL football, any team that loses a key player in such an important part of the ground (ruck) on top of not having your back up CHF (kosi) and best FB (max) will struggle with their structure.

Shock horror we allowed them a couple late. Strangely most cats supporters when this happens (when they go from being up by 72 points to 66) just except that sometimes this happens.

Borin twats like you take a dig at the club :roll:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
Shock horror we allowed them a couple late. Strangely most cats supporters when this happens (when they go from being up by 72 points to 66) just except that sometimes this happens.

Borin twats like you take a dig at the club :roll:
The Cats have played in 2 GFs in the past decade.

I really hope our club isn't content with playing a great first half against a bottom 8 side.

As I said, desperate fans will naturally patry party for a week, but for a club that has played in 1 GF in the past 30 years, I honestly don't think we have much cause for joy considering September is still 5 months away.

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

Solar wrote:he has created a team that works for one goal
Sounds like freo

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Legendary
Club Player

marksnsparks wrote:
This guy could turn goats piss into gasoline!!
He wouldn't run out of petrol in the middle of Brighton then ... 8-)

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

duckduckduckgoose wrote:
Solar wrote:he has created a team that works for one goal
Sounds like freo
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:I really hope our club isn't content with playing a great first half against a bottom 8 side.
Funny, thought they were in the Top 8 at the moment.

Bottom 8 side....... based on who's opinion....... yours?
rodgerfox wrote:As I said, desperate fans will naturally patry party for a week, but for a club that has played in 1 GF in the past 30 years, I honestly don't think we have much cause for joy considering September is still 5 months away.
Just curious rodg, were you bored again this week when we were so far in front?

I could imagine you on a jury panel actually - 11 people would see the bleeding obvious and declare the accused guilty exept for you.

Must be very very hard to please you rodg, for what its worth supporters ARE allowed to get optimistic about our chances - that what SUPPORTERS do.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
Just curious rodg, were you bored again this week when we were so far in front?

No, not at all.

We were amazing. As good as I've seen us for 4 years.

The second half was concerning though. I felt we lost control of the game due to King being off.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The reason we are succeeding......

For once we are not copying a GP from another......but Ross has developed a GP - Frontal Pressure.....

Brisbane - Body Strength and Mid Power
Port - Pace and skill + 2 dominant Rucks and a Power Fwd
Sydney - Flooding and Stoppages
WCE - Midfield run and Carry
Geelong - Run Support and over possess.....first team to avg 400pg
Haw - Rolling Zone
StK - Frontal Pressure and Forward Pressure