Collingwood (Eddie) influencing the FIXTURE? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood (Eddie) influencing the FIXTURE? !!

Eddie McGuire on SEN earlier this week was categoric in stating that Collingwood had/has a deal with the AFL and Nth Melb where Nth get a home game V Collingwood early in the year (every year) if Nth agrees to wear a clash strip for that game.

On the surface this doesn't appear to be all that much, but looking further into it suggests something is VERY WRONG. Eddie is suggesting that Collingwood is telling the AFL who they are playing and who they are not. This on top of every other fixture concession that Collingwood get.

Lets look a what Collingwood get every year;

16 Games at the MCG and 2 Games at Etihad Stadium as per their private contracts

ANZAC Day v Essendon, plus a return match (both at the MCG)

Early away game v Nth Melb

Return games v Carlton (both at the MCG)

Split Round game (sometimes exclusive) v Sydney at ANZ Stadium

Queens Birthday v Melb (exclusive) away game

There is possibly a whole lot more that I can't think of at the minute

I believe that the time has come for the AFL to "Come Clean" on the deals that some clubs have, the requests that EVERY club put in and who gets what of their requests. Until they do there will always remain a stench over the fixture !!

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Collingwood start every year (about) 8 points clear of every other Melbourne team due to there draw advantage imo.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Yes and regardless of the outcome of Monday's game - they are still crap

Russman
Club Player

thats why they always fall in a heap in the finals.

Do , or Do not , There is no try.
Ice Wolf
Club Player

I think we should make a deal with Collingwood for a home Friday night game against them at the 'G. We can stipulate that we will wear whatever strip they like (Home or Clash ect.) Although I don't think Collingwood have any problem with wearing their White Strip.

and a return Saturday night at the Dome to cover their Dome agreement, seeing as apparently we no longer have an actual agreement with the dome.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

You are correct Eastern and it has been my concern for some years now. This year they play one game at Subi, one at AAMI, one in Brisbane and the usual Sydney game at ANZ Stadium leaving the usual 18 games in Melboune, 16 at the MCG and 2 at Docklands. I believe they are guaranteed a minimum of $200,000 for each of the Docklands games and also guaranteed the "special blockbuster" games at the MCG.
This means that the AFL in setting the draw for the year MUST set the Collingwood draw first, then I think they do Essendon second (they tend to have a favoured draw also if you look at the past 5 or so years) then the remaining clubs "do as they are told".
The AFL have being planning for a Collingwood premiership for years and contribute/plan their greater exposure, thus premium sponsorship opportunites for Collingwood because of it. The same bias tends to favour Collingwood with the TV scheduling as well.
THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

The AFL undoubtedly has a preference of profit over equity - and as a result we have a corrupted draw and will continue to do so until the consumers actually grow some balls and boycott the product. But instead the clubs and supporters have an insular survivalist mentality - they resign themselves to it and look at how they can possibly play the system to their own advantage.

How can the AFL allow certain clubs to exploit others e.g collingwood v north and strengthen their own brand at the expense of others? Longer term what are the implications? The rich get richer - the poor get abused and have to tow the line to survive. And the competition itself suffers for it.

Longer term it will weaken the AFL as a brand as disaffected supporters perhaps retreat to local competitions, whilst the new generation may find other sports to follow. Football is more than just a business - it is part of the lifeblood of many communities and a part of our cultural heritage. And we're allowing it to be prostituted.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Collingwood (Eddie) influencing the FIXTURE? !!

[quote="Eastern"]Eddie McGuire on SEN earlier this week was categoric in stating that Collingwood had/has a deal with the AFL and Nth Melb where Nth get a home game V Collingwood early in the year (every year) if Nth agrees to wear a clash strip for that game.

On the surface this doesn't appear to be all that much, but looking further into it suggests something is VERY WRONG. Eddie is suggesting that Collingwood is telling the AFL who they are playing and who they are not. This on top of every other fixture concession that Collingwood get.

Lets look a what Collingwood get every year;

16 Games at the MCG and 2 Games at Etihad Stadium as per their private contracts

ANZAC Day v Essendon, plus a return match (both at the MCG)

Early away game v Nth Melb

Return games v Carlton (both at the MCG)

Split Round game (sometimes exclusive) v Sydney at ANZ Stadium

Queens Birthday v Melb (exclusive) away game

There is possibly a whole lot more that I can't think of at the minute

I believe that the time has come for the AFL to "Come Clean" on the deals that some clubs have, the requests that EVERY club put in and who gets what of their requests. Until they do there will always remain a stench over the fixture !![/quote]

In a fair draw there would be 30 rounds to provide a home game and an away game against each club.
22 rounds means that 4 home games and 4 away games don't take place.
These missing games should be rotated so that every 3 3/4 years a home game and an away game against each club will be missing.

To be guaranteed home or away games against a particular club each year is CORRUPT FIXTURE TAMPERING.

Have I ever suggested AFL is an abbreviation for corruption before?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Purely and simply wrong by the AFL but this is not new.

Whilst Vlad continues to empire build and leave his legacy, being GC17 and the ego driven West Sydney (has anyone else besides Vlad and Adrian and any paid AFL muppet come out and said that it's a good idea?), transparency and a well structured and uncompromised fixture will never occur.

I started a thread on the "draw" a couple of weeks ago as I believe this is the most important thing to the well being of the competition. It effects too many aspects of a club's survival for it not to be fair.

Now while Melbourne's crying out for a stadium that club's can play at and not lose money on, the AFL puffs it's chest out and pours millions into a black hole that is West Sydney. Get rid of the 'yes' men Vlad and look after your current 16 'children' equally and fairly.

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Ghost Like"]Purely and simply wrong by the AFL but this is not new.

Whilst Vlad continues to empire build and leave his legacy, being GC17 and the ego driven West Sydney (has anyone else besides Vlad and Adrian and any paid AFL muppet come out and said that it's a good idea?), transparency and a well structured and uncompromised fixture will never occur.

I started a thread on the "draw" a couple of weeks ago as I believe this is the most important thing to the well being of the competition. It effects too many aspects of a club's survival for it not to be fair.

Now while Melbourne's crying out for a stadium that club's can play at and not lose money on, the AFL puffs it's chest out and pours millions into a black hole that is West Sydney. Get rid of the 'yes' men Vlad and look after your current 16 'children' equally and fairly.[/quote]

The impact of bringing two new INTERSTATE teams into the competitiion is to increase the proportion of home games at Jihad Stadium that will be against INTERSTATE teams and thus cost St Kilda even more money. :evil: :evil: :evil:

How much compensation has Demetriou offered in PERPETUITY for this crowd reduction.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Loyal
Club Player

Re: Collingwood (Eddie) influencing the FIXTURE? !!

ace wrote:
In a fair draw there would be 30 rounds to provide a home game and an away game against each club.
22 rounds means that 4 home games and 4 away games don't take place.
These missing games should be rotated so that every 3 3/4 years a home game and an away game against each club will be missing.
^
this is exactly why i love saintsational.com: smart people. best online community. great stuff ace!
it annoys me that in australia there is no such thing as a 'fair go' anymore where bogans get wealthy and the good struggle.

SainterX
Club Player

What's the difference?

The AFL could sugar coat these maggots Richmond and Melbourne every other week and they would still find some way to stuff it up, and of course blame the umpires. :P

Purely and simply the black and white suck because they are unable to ever take responsibility for bad performances, it's always someone elses fault.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
Loyal
Club Player

SainterX wrote:Purely and simply the black and white suck because they are unable to ever take responsibility for bad performances, it's always someone elses fault.
hegsackly.
it's not arrogance with them (although people may believe that it is and they would love for it to be) it's just plain old-fashioned ignorance.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Only two teams have won less premierships than Collingwood in the last 50 years, Bulldogs and Fremantle, which of course haven't won one.

These morons are living on deeds their grandfathers saw when they were kids.

Hate to Eddie this but outside this country, no one would know who the hell Collingwood are.

Just hope on Monday they are showed up as the statement of mediocrity they are.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Only two teams have won less premierships than Collingwood in the last 50 years, Bulldogs and Fremantle, which of course haven't won one.

These morons are living on deeds their grandfathers saw when they were kids.

Hate to Eddie this but outside this country, no one would know who the hell Collingwood are.

Just hope on Monday they are showed up as the statement of mediocrity they are.
Just one question, who would you as a person in charge of finance want to play as your certain home game for the year?

rexy
SS Life Member

I respect Collingwood for standing up for themselves and for the membership, supporter base and finances they have acculmulated. I also despise them for much the same reasons.

The biggest difference I see between them and other clubs is that when they take a stand on an issue you actually beleive that they will go through with whatever it is they are threatening. Clubs like ours and others have made to many idle threats without following any through.

If Collingwood were in our position now, drawing an average of 29000 spectators to a 50000 seat stadium to watch interstate clubs and still losing large sums of cash, what would they do? I dont know! but they would come up with something and then actually follow through.

Eugene Arocca has talked about a fan lockout to save his club money, why not request it formally from the Etihad management via the AFL and send a copy to all the media outlets, see what happens.

David Smorgan has thought about playing home games against interstate clubs at skilled stadium, once again, rather than discuss the idea on SEN why not formally request the fixture change, so they know that you mean it.

We didnt even have the courage to follow through on a player getting 7 weeks for an incident nobody saw, or the AFL changing match results 3 days after the event or umpires showing evidence of Bias towards our opposition. Any of these incidents could have been an opportunity for our club to risk some money and show the AFL that we wont get walked over.

Maybe this year?
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Plugger 66, whenever we are winning games and having a good season we draw very good crowds.

We will draw even bigger crowds against any other Melbourne based club that is having a winning season.

Remember packing Waverley out against Richmond, we got big crowds against winning Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Geelong and even Melbourne.

Two winning Melbourne teams will draw big crowds, we don't need to depend on Collingwood.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Plugger 66, whenever we are winning games and having a good season we draw very good crowds.

We will draw even bigger crowds against any other Melbourne based club that is having a winning season.

Remember packing Waverley out against Richmond, we got big crowds against winning Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Geelong and even Melbourne.

Two winning Melbourne teams will draw big crowds, we don't need to depend on Collingwood.
Yes we can get good crowds but sadly nothing at the moment suggets we will. Even though we have played interstate sides at our home games the crowds have been pathetic. We have won every game but still have struggled to break 30000. Remember the BL game when we got over 50000. That isnt going to happen now. Look at our membership. At least playing the pies guarentees big money for us or at least no loss of money.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Plugger 66, whenever we are winning games and having a good season we draw very good crowds.

Yes we can get good crowds but sadly nothing at the moment suggets we will. Even though we have played interstate sides at our home games the crowds have been pathetic. We have won every game but still have struggled to break 30000. Remember the BL game when we got over 50000. That isnt going to happen now. Look at our membership. At least playing the pies guarentees big money for us or at least no loss of money.
yes very true - this is why Collingwood have got such sway. I would prefer to play the filth at the G as our home game. However we would probably get just as much money playing Nth Melbourne at skilled stadium or Melbourne at the GC.

There are other ways to make money than relying just on the filth every year.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)