afl considers moving st kilda v cats blockbuster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

sainter35 wrote:The last time Geelong lost at Etihad Stadium was Round 1 2007.

They play well everywhere. How about the advantage we might gain from playing another game at the MCG, particularly one with a finals type atmosphere to it.
agree. it's a complete no-brainer if we and the cats are still 1 and 2 on the ladder as the game approaches.

i'll bet there's not one player who would turn down the challenge of playing before a huge crowd at the ground where the grand final will be played against the best team in the competition.

and i'm not really keen on us going into september having played at the 'g only once for the season.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I'm also not keen on giving up my reserve seat, but am happy to do so if it helps the club. AD stated emphatically on OTC last night that it would. He also didn't seem to have a problem with it being moved. I think we'll see it moved at some point.

Either way, it's looking like a huge crowd, which would be great for the club given the result of our first few home games.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

They can move it anywhere, just not where the banner flies from dawn to dark :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

From a "me" perspective Docklands is better...and we are also more likely to roll the Cats there..

From a 'team" perspective I think the chance to play before a huge crowd and get used to the G (only 1 other H&A there this season and against a weak opponent).. against the Cats will be invaluable in improving our chances of winning the flag this year.

Add to that that at the G the Saints most likely will makea lot more $$$$ and you woul thnk that the only real option is to move the game.

Lets hope for no rain.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:From a "me" perspective Docklands is better...and we are also more likely to roll the Cats there..

From a 'team" perspective I think the chance to play before a huge crowd and get used to the G (only 1 other H&A there this season and against a weak opponent).. against the Cats will be invaluable in improving our chances of winning the flag this year.

Add to that that at the G the Saints most likely will makea lot more $$$$ and you woul thnk that the only real option is to move the game.

Lets hope for no rain.
agreed.

The Club would make more money, but the members with reserved seats miss out and more than likely will be seated behind the goals (like the Melbourne compensation match)

That would mean that 2 games this season I don't get a proper reserved seat on the wing.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

it would be intersting to see what they would do
unlike the Melbourne replacement game - the reserved seat situation would be better
theoretically the northern wing next to the MCC_ which is melbourne reserved seat area would be available

the Pies reserved seat are is actually the Ponsford stand- so for some that is seen as an area to be

as our home game I assume it would be up to the club to 'request' the areas they want for reserved memebrs.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintDebi
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Yes it sounds selfish by me saying we shouldn't move because of the ramifications to me and other reserved seat holders personally.

I would gladly give up my benefits if my Club St. Kilda came out and says

WE WANT THE GAME MOVED.

But they aren't/haven't.

Agreed. And regardless, I have never said I won't be there to support them. I will be, rain, hail or shine: literally!
I should admit that my judgement is clouded a bit by the fact that I live in Geelong, I HATE the cats and I have been waiting all season to see this game from my seat in the front row.
As I have said all along, my HEAD knows of the possible benifits, but my HEART still wants to see us beat Geelong at our own ground.

And an aside: all the talk of us needing more games to be played at the MCG so that we have some preparation for finals, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. But isn't this just another reflection on the AFL's fixturing which does not give all teams equal opportunity or a level playing field in the first place. If we are not happy about this now, we should have been jumping up and down about it when the fixture was announced.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Greg Westaway was on 3AW about 7.10 tonight and said that the club would be interested in moving but they need to consider members, reserved seat holders etc. He went on to say that the ultimate decision rests with the AFL.................Watch this space !!

linz
Club Player

sainter35 wrote:I'm a reserved seat member and I think it would be fantastic if the game got moved.

Isn't this what we want?

To have our footy club playing games of footy on the big stage in front of massive crowds?

From a financial perspective it makes a hell of a lot of sense. It also sends a message to Etihad Stadium that we've been a very loyal tenant and it's about time we get properly looked after.

From a football perspective I would thought the opportunity to play another game at the MCG in a finals type atmosphere is exactly what we need.

I don't think we can expect a specific reserved seat but provided we receive a large enough area and we're well catered for I don't have a problem.

We're hardly giving Geelong any sort of advantage because they play every ground well.
My thoughts exactly. We need practise on the big stage.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
jk23
Club Player

What a mess with the ticketing if they change venue as ticketmaster sell the tickets to Etihad and Ticketek the MCG , do you get refunds for carpark already purchased for the game?? $ 27 or the game for that matter for some people it would be inconvient due to access, i would prefer it stay at Etihad , but will watch the saints anywhere....
( execpt Skilled stadium !! )

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

jk23 wrote:What a mess with the ticketing if they change venue as ticketmaster sell the tickets to Etihad and Ticketek the MCG , do you get refunds for carpark already purchased for the game?? $ 27 or the game for that matter for some people it would be inconvient due to access, i would prefer it stay at Etihad , but will watch the saints anywhere....
Yep, there are a few issues with a change of venue, also one would expect that Collo would want some form of compensation and maybe that will come from a percentage of the gate takings.

If so, are we better off?

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:That would mean that 2 games this season I don't get a proper reserved seat on the wing.
There is no I in team.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

St Fidelius wrote:
Yep, there are a few issues with a change of venue, also one would expect that Collo would want some form of compensation and maybe that will come from a percentage of the gate takings.

My understanding is that the AFL is contracted to play 46 games at Etihad. If the Cats game is moved away they will move a Demons - Power? game that is scheduled for later in the season from the MCG to Etihad.

As a foreign resident who just happens to be in Melbourne that weekend, I wold be very happy to have the game at the 'G.

As far as giving up home ground advantage, will it really matter if we are still three games or more clear of third place? Second place is just as good as first in terms of finals draws. The experience of playing in a finals atmosphere at the 'G against Geelong will be a big benefit even if it ends up costing us 4 points. As pointed out by others, the Cats play well everywhere.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
asiu

practise

plus bonus cash

= good , no

vacuous space
SS Life Member

kosifantutti23 wrote:Second place is just as good as first in terms of finals draws.
It's actually better in a sense. If all games go according to plan, second plays fourth in the prelim, while first plays third. Not that I think we should be trying to pick finals opponents, but I don't think we should be afraid of second spot either.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
No1_Saint
Club Player

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
jk23 wrote:What a mess with the ticketing if they change venue as ticketmaster sell the tickets to Etihad and Ticketek the MCG , do you get refunds for carpark already purchased for the game?? $ 27 or the game for that matter for some people it would be inconvient due to access, i would prefer it stay at Etihad , but will watch the saints anywhere....

Unless you think the club has morons running it of course we are better off if we agree to move the game. Cannot believe even one person would be against it. For one game who cares what seat you get if it finally helps us ge a flag.

HarveysDeciple

sainter35 wrote:The last time Geelong lost at Etihad Stadium was Round 1 2007.

They play well everywhere. How about the advantage we might gain from playing another game at the MCG, particularly one with a finals type atmosphere to it.

bloody oath!

We play one home and away game at the G this year.

We won't play Geelong at etihad in the finals so let's get a crack at them on a finals venue in the hope we meet them again deep in September.

Win win all round for both sides.

We are one of the big boys now...so let's play a blockbuster game at the home of footy in front of 80,000.

What more would you want for the two best teams in the league?

BakesFan
SS Life Member

gazrat wrote:practise

plus bonus cash

= good , no
succinct, accurate. good? YES!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I have to say I'm coming around to the idea.

I reckon as members we can "take one for the team". If your reserved seat isnt as perfect as it might be at ES..if youre out in the open and have to wear a poncho cos it rains......well ...if it means giving our guys some big-crowd MCG footy experience before the finals (and sorry at 7-0 I dont think talking finals is getting too carried away) then I for one will suck it up and cope.

Im in..bring it on!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

I love the HeraldSun's Head line for this.

Is it a typo or is it proof of what we all know to be true.

"St Kilda and Collingwood back MCG blockbuster"

The full article is:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
StSteven
Club Player

If we don't move it we only play 1 game at G and that is Melbourne in the middle of the ski season! There will be NO atmosphere.

Let's do it and see how good we are.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
, but the members with reserved seats miss out and more than likely will be seated behind the goals (like the Melbourne compensation match)

I think you will do better...as with the Compo game it is the dees home game and so their members take preferrence.

This will be a St Kilda Home game...with the only problem being the large AFL and MCC Members reserves.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....