Footy First

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Hugh Drod wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Congratulations on Ross Lyon winning the 2005 premiership. I notice Sydney haven't won another since Ross left.
see thats a good example. another one is Mckenna leaving Collingwood. coaches these days cant do it all so the good ones don't even try to they get good help like us with list Managers and development managers.
What did Collingwood win with McKenna?

You actually have a point - but to lay all the credit at Tudors feet is pretty simplistic.

Lyon has been working on this game plan sich 2007 - also we have had hardly an injury (mabye thanks to Drain).

The core players are in the 25-27 range with hard bodies.

All this an more contributes to the Saints this year. Not one new assistant coach in isolation.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Hugh Drod
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Hugh Drod wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Congratulations on Ross Lyon winning the 2005 premiership. I notice Sydney haven't won another since Ross left.
see thats a good example. another one is Mckenna leaving Collingwood. coaches these days cant do it all so the good ones don't even try to they get good help like us with list Managers and development managers.
What did Collingwood win with McKenna?

You actually have a point - but to lay all the credit at Tudors feet is pretty simplistic.

Lyon has been working on this game plan sich 2007 - also we have had hardly an injury (mabye thanks to Drain).

The core players are in the 25-27 range with hard bodies.

All this an more contributes to the Saints this year. Not one new assistant coach in isolation.
I know Tuodr and Lyon needed alot of help he was finding it hard. tudor has helpd as have some other peopl.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

that he has

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Hugh Drod wrote:
Teflon wrote:well done to rod westaway.
rod Butterss isnt a good man. glad he left so are many others.
i dont give a shyte if hes a good man or not - he certainly helped this club and recognising that should be easy.

“Yeah….nah””
Hugh Drod
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Hugh Drod wrote:
Teflon wrote:well done to rod westaway.
rod Butterss isnt a good man. glad he left so are many others.
i dont give a shyte if hes a good man or not - he certainly helped this club and recognising that should be easy.
he helped us but was fast undoing all his boards work.

saint08
Club Player

saint66au wrote:

Noone hands out flags for the best balance sheet. RB got us back in the bl;ck no doubt, but he took it a year or 2 too far imho. )
RB took us from no debt to big debt and then back to not much debt. Just for factual accuracy.

Butterss admits: We haven't delivered
February 25 2003

It's put-up or shut-up time at St Kilda, and Saints president Rod Butterss pulls no punches in his appraisal of the club to Stephen Rielly.

When Rod Butterss succeeded Andrew Plympton as president of St Kilda in August 2000, he inherited a debt-free football club that, although in the last days of an ill-fated partnership with coach Tim Watson, had been a finalist two years earlier.

This, at least, was the popular view of Butterss' inheritance.

The president, who was reappointed by the St Kilda board last week for a further three years, has a different interpretation of affairs. It is one he believes partly explains why, under his guidance, the club has won only nine matches in two seasons and is now burdened by $2.5 million of debt.

Much of the blame for the decline he has overseen is his own, Butterss agrees, and he will not question the Plympton legacy.

"How would I assess our performance? I would give ourselves a five out of 10," Butterss said. "On a range of fronts, I underestimated the complexities and demands of football. We've made mistakes."

"We were so passionate and enthusiastic about introducing change and seeing things happen that we enticed Malcolm out of retirement a year or two before he was ready and we both got burnt," Butterss concedes. "I don't look back on it often, but when I do, I think that we both erred."

As Butterss sees things, his inexperience, and that of his board in 2000, served to undermine the tremendous energy and the flow of ideas introduced to the boardroom at the time, which amounted to a belief that radical change was required.

"It took some time to understand that unlike in the traditional small business world, where changes of fortune and direction can be made in a matter of months through a range of initiatives, football doesn't allow quick turnarounds," he said.

"You live with your decisions in this game for a very long time."

"The truth is we haven't yet delivered a damn thing," Butterss concedes.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i remember that article...it gives the lie to the crap that plympton left the club in bad shape........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint08
Club Player

stinger wrote:i remember that article...it gives the lie to the crap that plympton left the club in bad shape........
Stinger , it's just that I get tired of hearing how butterss did such a great job financially, and we have to thank him for that.

I think this incorrect view comes from people looking only at the profit figure for the next 3 years from 04 to 06.

The truth is that his spending when he arrived was out of control ( eg blight ) , and a "gotta spend money to make money " approach , but this was poorly executed. The spend happened but the "making money" part did not , and left us in 2.5mil debt by 03, as he confirms in the article.

Them in 04 05 and 06 , he had to cut, cut and cut spending, when revenue did not really increase much.

Cutting costs led to profits which paid back the debt created under his watch, but at a time when we would dearly have loved to have money to spend on the footy dept to assist the list we had at end of 03.

It was a roller coaster ride financially. I think he should be creditied with putting in a lot of time and effort, and with good intentions and passion. But not with saving the club financially.

This is history , but I raise it only to respond to those who slip into their posts,including in this Topic, this incorrect praise. Frankly, I think if asked , RB would probably not want to take credit for things he did not achieve. His article above suggests he would not take false credit.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Footy First

Bernard Shakey wrote:
barks4eva wrote:But credit where credit is due!
As far as I see, all credit to the current Board.
Yep.

Barks is just off his face on this shyt...

lols

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....