How did Dawson go? - opinions please

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

How did Dawson go? - opinions please

I thought this was his biggest test to date, Neagle going OK and Lloyd clearly in some sort of form.

Neagle snapped one out of a pack and kicked a banana from the boundary, the other one came on Blake.

I thought early Zac was reasonable, panicked a little in possession in patches during the middle of the game, but contested well, and was not beaten.

When moved onto Lloyd he outpointed him at least twice in genuine marking contests, the spoil late in the last was special.

The fact RL moved him onto Lloyd speaks volumes of his confidence in him, I think he's here to stay.

What a great story.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I thought he had a very serviceable game...outpositioned his opponent a few times and worked the ball well out of defence.

Nee!
marksnsparks
Club Player

I agree. No one loves Maxy more than me, but Zac is our future, and Maxy isn't.

Barring injury or form slump, have we seen the end of Max?

Hope not. Legend of the club and deserves a premiership send off.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

marksnsparks wrote:I agree. No one loves Maxy more than me, but Zac is our future, and Maxy isn't.

Barring injury or form slump, have we seen the end of Max?

Hope not. Legend of the club and deserves a premiership send off.
Massive fam of Max, great clubman and not finished yet,but Dawson is doing a great job and you are wright he is the future

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

At the moment I see them both in the team.

How quickly some forget how bloody good Max is - and for Zac to hopefully serve his apprenticeship under Max for the rest of this year will be gold for him.

Max will, and rightly should, be brought back when he is now 150,000% fit and be ready to finish the year as the senior backman and mentor of Zac. There is no rush to bring Max back as there may have been in the past.

Zac's performances are an absolute bonus for us this year, could never have been anticipated that he would have to step up so soon, and do such a fine job.

Certainly room for both of them in our best 22 right now.

saint-stu
Club Player

Agree Dawson is the future and he is looking pretty good. But I would prefer to see Max back in the team by finals time this year.

JEANLUCPICARD
Club Player

Excellent game.

I love his aggression. Keep it up.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

marksnsparks wrote:Have we seen the end of Max?
Max is the best "Pure" full back in the afl.

He kept his opponents to 27 goals last season, When Max says he's ready, he comes back in, simple.

I love how well Zac is doing, but if max is ready and there isn't room for both, Maxy gets my nod.

marksnsparks
Club Player

So who makes way for Max?

I can only think Blake...

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I thought Zac went ok, though got very lucky with the Umpire's. Honestly don't know how he got that free kick in the last quarter.

Carpe Diem
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I would just like to point out that just because many applaud Zac's efforts, it doesn't mean we've "forgotten" Max. There seems to be some kind of unwritten rule on here, that we can only appreciate one at a time? Very odd...

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

marksnsparks wrote:So who makes way for Max?

I can only think Blake...
nail,

Head.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I would just like to point out that just because many applaud Zac's efforts, it doesn't mean we've "forgotten" Max. There seems to be some kind of unwritten rule on here, that we can only appreciate one at a time? Very odd...
I agree, Zac can take the big ones and Max can take the smaller agile ones, frees up Sammy F as well.

I still potentially see a role for Blake, but I do see Blake v Zac at this stage though...leaves Sammy as the floating back and means BJ can move permanently up the ground, would love to see him given more time forward....

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I thought Zac was one of our best players, really getting a taste for it!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

Great game from dawson. There were 2 or 3 plays where he had to take them on and he did and won comfortably.

I cringe less and less when he gets the ball.

max would still be the man but how do you drop dawson when he is top 5 players for us?????

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He'll come off the rookie list at season's end and max will retire.

Hard to see him keeping his spot in the team barring injuries atm. IMO you simply can't have 3 key backman in the team that don't provide much run... can only afford to have 2 of Hudghton, Blake, Maguire and Dawson in the team.
One would imagine that Max will push Zac out and that Maguire will need to come in either as a forward or push Blake out

personally really like him... has been the ultimate cash cow for supercoach... got him at 87k, am abit to trade him for 300k

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Blake won't get dropped - another role player that Ross would love.
Zac played really well again - the free kick against Lloyd was for Lloyd holding plus he is a FREAKEN FREAK AND DESERVED IT FOR CAREER LONG STAGING!!!!!!!!
Poised, can punch into the 2nd tier and a great story to boot!

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

On the couch tonight, RL said that Zac had greatly exceeded expectations...

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I like how composed he is in situations, very good for a rookie. Outmuscled but he still gets a fist in most of the time.

Max is a definate inclusion. Goose may come in as a forward. so prob zac and blake out.

But then there is also Raph who is gunning.

Also whats the news on dempsters ACL?? I remember last year they were aiming for him to be back around round 14 or something ??? I'd assume later or dare i say not at all this season given our backlines form.

Some big tough decisions, but its where we want to be. Some stars may miss the GF if/when we make it which would be sad. And i hope we dont do a 'Derek Kickett' incident.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Defensively Zac has been great. He's really making use of those extra pounds.

However, he is extremely clumsy with his use by foot.

You know those players who have you on the edge of your seat whenever the ball is in their hands? Zac is one of them.

Along with Jones and Gilbert.

Blake is no longer one of them.

Conversely, whenever the ball is in Dal's or BJ's hands a part of me wishes I could light up a cigar.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Defensively Zac has been great. He's really making use of those extra pounds.

You know those players who have you on the edge of your seat whenever the ball is in their hands? Zac is one of them.

Whenever the ball is in Dal's or BJ's hands a part of me wishes I could light up a cigar.
I do agree, although I think Zac is pretty good by hand.
Blake to me is taking the easy option, usually sideways more often than not, I think he's been told to do it as well, nothing really wrong with it mind you, but it looks very robotic.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i thought zac was very good and i'm surprised at how accomplished a player he's become in a very short time.

max is a longtime favourite son of the club, but while we keep winning it is going to be very difficult for anyone to break into the side.

it's harsh and seems unfair, but he's in the same boat as a number of other good players including raph clarke and goose.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Defensively Zac has been great. He's really making use of those extra pounds.

Conversely, whenever the ball is in Dal's or BJ's hands a part of me wishes I could light up a cigar.
So true!

Another opportunity awaits!
Legendary
Club Player

Griggsy wrote: Also whats the news on dempsters ACL?? I remember last year they were aiming for him to be back around round 14 or something ??? I'd assume later or dare i say not at all this season given our backlines form.
Should be back playing VFL in 2-3 weeks. So give him 4-5 games there and he adds to our depth, although I don't think he'll have the form or fitness to break into the 22 this year (unfortunately for him).

ace
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:Agree Dawson is the future and he is looking pretty good. But I would prefer to see Max back in the team by finals time this year.
It is a sad fact of football that injury lists generally grow longer as the season progresses.
It is highly probable that if both Max and Zac are fit they both will play on that special Saturday and win a premiership.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA