Tommy Walsh..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Walsh..

St Fid mentioned Tommy in another thread...so here is a recent interesting article on Tommy who already is a household name in Ireland.

Landing him would be a real coupe and would cause mammoth heartbreak for Kerry fans
...and an added bonus is that getting Tommy may well see you landing his younger brother Barry John as well who is only a year younger and is very talented as well.

Tommy Walsh
Heir to the Kingdom

http://www.firedup.gaa.ie/interview_tommywalsh.html

Two years ago a giant of a young man lined out for Kerry in midfield in an All-Ireland Minor final. Here he was - the heir apparent to Darragh Ó Sé. This year the old man is still ruling the middle third for the Kingdom, but there was still room for Tommy Walsh to make his mark. The Kerins O’Rahilly’s star picked up the Young Player of the Year Award and was a revelation as one half of the Twin Towers’. Tommy Walsh spoke to Fired Up.

What was it like growing up the son of a Kerry legend?
Well since I was very young I never knew any different to be honest. I just thought it was normal. When I was playing alright when I was younger I did get a bit more attention from people, not always good either. My dad was a great help and you could always go and look for advice from him. He has won everything there is to win and with his experience, he has seen it all. It wasn’t so good when he was getting onto you over a bad game mind! But I wouldn’t be where I am today only for him. He is a good friend with the likes of Ogie and the Bomber so they used to be coming over as well, but as I said I never knew any different.

2008 was a great year for you. What did you make of it
and your rise to prominence?

Well if I’m looking at the whole year, taking into account winning the U21s and everything, I’d have to say yes it was a good year. But, it was a huge disappointment to lose the Senior final. That was terrible. In terms of the hype and all, I’m working in Cork at the moment so I don’t really notice a lot of that stuff. I have to say Pat O’Shea has been very good in that way, protecting me from all that. All I have to do is keep minding my own business and playing football.

Did your full-forward colleagues give you much advice during matches?
They would have given me a lot of help alright. Even when things were not going so well for me against Monaghan, with a few shots blocked down, they never said a bad word to me. There was never any criticism. They just kept telling me to keep playing away and keep positive. They were a huge help and they are great players.

In 2006 you were a part of a Kerry Minor team to lose out in an All-Ireland. Was it harder to take back then than the loss to Tyrone this year?
Well naturally you take things a bit harder when you are a younger lad, but losing is always hard no matter what age you are. It never gets any easier to take. At the end of the day losing an All-Ireland is losing an All-Ireland and it’s hard to deal with the disappointment.

After that Minor final you would be automatically on most Senior teams. Did you need to be patient to make your breakthrough with Kerry?
I needed time to develop and I knew that. No matter how good you are there are very few lads who can go straight from Minors to Seniors, it’s a major step up and you need time. I watched from the bench last year and that was a huge help in terms of learning and taking things in. Being around guys like Darragh, The Gooch and Tomás was also a huge help in preparing myself and looking at how things are done coming up to games.

You won an U21 title earlier in the year. Have the underage lads helped each other settle with the established stars?
When you go into the Seniors on the very first night you are half star-struck really. There are lads there you have been watching on the television for the past five or six years. In that way it was good to walk in knowing some faces that you have played with before and who you would be good friends with. Still, it has to be said, the older fellas are very good. They all take time to talk to you and there is never a problem getting advice or help on anything.

What about nerves coming up to the big days?
It doesn’t effect me too badly to be honest. I like to remain very calm before a match as I find it helps me more. If you are worried all you have to do is look around at the other players and look how they are preparing. You can just do what they do. At the same time, when you are going up to Croke Park on the bus and you turn the corner and you see the stand for the first time your stomach is like a washing machine going around with nerves. It’s when it really hits. After a bit though you calm down again.

For the U21s you drifted in central positions. How important is the ability to be able to operate in different positions in the modern game?
It is very important nowadays. Tyrone are a prime example of being able to play anywhere. Lads can play in lots of different positions and move around well. It’s also important for the coach to have options. If he can move a lad who is not doing well it is better than just whipping him off. The more players you have like that the better for the team.

Where is your preferred position?
Being honest I don’t mind where I play once I’m on the team. I have played midfield,
centre-forward and full-forward this year and I enjoy them all. With each position, you have something different to do so I don’t mind, although this year I did okay inside so probably I’ll stick to there for a while.

Were you always a big lad growing up?
Yeah I’ve always been big, big for my age anyway. It wasn’t really a case of a growth spurt. I was always one of the bigger lads playing. My uncles on my mother’s side are all very big men so I suppose that’s where it came from.

Despite your size you have the subtle skills of a smaller player. Is it nurture or nature?
I suppose some of it would come naturally, but I put in a lot of time on my game. Personally, I still think my skill levels leave a lot to be desired and I have to work on them quite a bit. You always have to be working on skill so as not to become a one-dimensional player. You will have more to offer if you have better skills. When I go to training I look at what Gooch and Sean O’Sullivan are doing. They are the best at what they do.

What kind of work is needed in terms of gym work to put on the bulk?
I didn’t do much gym work at all when I was younger. I don’t believe any young lad of 16 or 17 should be going into the gym. I’d much rather see them practising with their left and right boots, or maybe doing some work on high fielding than inside doing weights.
At the same time it is very important to do that type of work when you are trying to break through to Senior football. Every week you would want to be doing some gym work.

LITTLE BROTHER
He may not be such an imposing figure as his big brother, but the Kerry Minor captain is far from living in his shadow as he is another hot prospect within the county. Barry John finished top scorer in the Minor championship with a whopping 6-27, lining out at full-forward. Last year, at just 17, he was already making the Kerins O’Rahillys Senior side as well as the county Minors. Unlike big bro, he is not a man to lash highball into. In fact, Barry John, would be regarded as the ideal modern player on the edge of the square. Six feet tall, quick, strong and accurate. One word pops up quiet a bit when people describe the younger of the two lads - aggressive. It is very much in the positive sense as he makes hard runs to get the ball and fights for possession, never giving up. Tommy, Barry John and Declan Quill form a fairly awesome inside line for their club.

Name Tommy Walsh
Age 20
Height 6’4"
Weight 16st 7lbs
Club Kerins O’Rahillys
Debut v Limerick NFL March 2007 v Limerick
HONOURS
All-Ireland SFC,
All-Ireland U21 FC,
All-Ireland MFC.
[/img]

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

was he one of the Irish kids who trained with us over summer?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:was he one of the Irish kids who trained with us over summer?
Yes.

Saints still have eyes for Ireland
By Luke Holmesby
12:02 PM Tue 16 December, 2008

ST KILDA’S Irish dream may not have been realised at this year’s NAB AFL Rookie draft, but recruiting manager John Peake says it might be a different case this time next year.

The Saints will be keeping a close eye on young Gaelic star Tom Walsh who recently spent ten days training at Moorabbin and learning the finer points of the Australian game.

Peake said that while the club did not seriously consider taking Walsh this year, it might take a chance with a rookie selection at the end of the 2009 season.

“For sure. But it clearly depends on what transpires over the next 12 months,â€

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....