Possible roles for Armitage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saints65
Club Player

Possible roles for Armitage

I am thinking there are a couple of roles Armo could take on,

One would be taking on a role like Gwilt, applying forward pressure, being a link man…but hopefully be able to score more goals than Gwilt

The other would be taking on a role like Baker in the back line. He’s a tough nut with decent pace.

Worth a try?

Go saints!!!!

older saint
SS Life Member

Not strong enough over head to play Gwilts role ( 3rd marking forward) .

Probably not quick enough or tight enough for backline.

He is a midfielder, hard in and under. He will get a chance, there will be injuries or suspensions at some stage then it will be if he is playing well enough and grabs his chance like Geary has.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Not strong enough over head to play Gwilts role ( 3rd marking forward) .
i know i sound like a broken record, but gwilt hasn't been playing as a marking forward. he's averaged 3.6 marks a game. he's in the side for his ground pressure as far as i can tell.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

IMO he's competing with the inside mids at the moment
Hayes
Ball
McQualter ( to a lesser extent)

Given that the current gameplan rarely has Ball and Hayes in teh centre square together, Armo is going to struggle to get into the side unless either one of those 2 is out injured.

He doesn't seem to be competing with the outside mids
Dal
Joey
Geary
BJ
Gram
Eddy
Ray (to a lesser extent)

And he certainly isn't competing with the 'lock down' mids
CJ
McQualter
Bakes

James
Club Player

I'd prefer Armitage for Gwilt at this stage. There isn't as much marking power, but his skill, courage, ball winning ability and pace need to be noted. He's an absolute freak. If one of our small forwards (Milne, Schneider) goes down I'd have him playing forward, because he sure as hell knows where the goals are and can blow a game right open when he turns it on. Plus he can rotate through the midfeild, akin to Chapman at the Cats.

As an inside midfeilder, it will be a tough gig. Hayes and Ball are in outstanding form, and the third spot reserved, usually on the bench, is being held quite convincingly by McQualter, who is playing out of his skin this year.

We only need three main inside mids to bring in each game, and that's Armitage's role. At the moment we have three high quality players keeping him out.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Not strong enough over head to play Gwilts role ( 3rd marking forward) .

I must have missed all hose overhead marks that Gwilt has been taking....

If they kick to Gwilt...it is because he is in space. Armo can do that.

One thing Gwilt has not been doing is kicking enough goals. Armo seems to have the knack of kicking goals...so as posted by me in another thread I would not mind seeing him tried asa HF.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

he doesnt have to come on straight away, he has been around for a few years now, he will get his chance soon enough, whilst we are up and about it isn't a problem

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Milton66
SS Life Member

I'd give him a gig on Neighbours :shock:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
d roit
Club Player

I just really want to see this kid play. I loved his efforts last year as an early gamer. He was always busting his guts out trying to make space, apply pressure and even bobbed up for a few goals here and there.

If anyone remembers a certain game last year when Armo sprinted about 100m trying to chase down a opposition player on the axcess one side wing well they would understand why his kicking efficiancy was lower than expected. This kid was huffing and puffing, blowing red in the face to get onto this guy, and you know what he did!

This is something we really missed at certain points of the season.

Have loved him ever since, i dont know what role he'll play atm or who has to come out as a result i would just love to see him running around

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

d roit wrote:I just really want to see this kid play.
Do you know where Trevor Barker oval is?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I just really want to see this kid play. I loved his efforts last year as an early gamer. He was always busting his guts out trying to make space, apply pressure and even bobbed up for a few goals here and there.

If anyone remembers a certain game last year when Armo sprinted about 100m trying to chase down a opposition player on the axcess one side wing well they would understand why his kicking efficiancy was lower than expected. This kid was huffing and puffing, blowing red in the face to get onto this guy, and you know what he did!

If anything I would have thought that our pressure, tackling and chasing is what has taken us to where we are this year! And as for goals from the midfield, we are getting plenty this year from a range of our mids, only Bally has really missed out, but I can't see him being left out of the side for Armitage

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

James wrote:I'd prefer Armitage for Gwilt at this stage. There isn't as much marking power, but his skill, courage, ball winning ability and pace need to be noted.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

James wrote: He's an absolute freak.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

James wrote: If one of our small forwards (Milne, Schneider) goes down I'd have him playing forward, because he sure as hell knows where the goals are and can blow a game right open when he turns it on.
Name one game he has blown open.

James wrote: Plus he can rotate through the midfeild, akin to Chapman at the Cats.
And he is the new Chapman :roll: :roll:

James wrote:We only need three main inside mids to bring in each game, and that's Armitage's role. At the moment we have three high quality players keeping him out.
But according to you he has pace, is a freak, can blow games open up forward and play in the mids as well.

My God we have the new Chris Judd on our hands and we wont play him.

SACk LYON :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
aussiejones
Club Player

There is time .....

A chance WILL happen soon for any number of reasons.

How ever I do agree he deserves a run

d roit
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:

If anything I would have thought that our pressure, tackling and chasing is what has taken us to where we are this year! And as for goals from the midfield, we are getting plenty this year from a range of our mids, only Bally has really missed out, but I can't see him being left out of the side for Armitage
Your 100% right about that dont get me wrong. However, those were things we were missing last year and he attempted to provide them. That shows endeavour

d roit
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
d roit wrote:I just really want to see this kid play.
Do you know where Trevor Barker oval is?
Honestly, how many of your posts have come purely from arguing over symantics????? you know EXACTLY what I meant from that sentance.

Some posts here are honestly a waste of reading time

James
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Name one game he has blown open.
2008 against Essendon I watched him. He kicked a crunch goal in the final quarter and did his bit in the side.
I never said that. I was just comparing the idea of Armitage playing forward to Chapman playing as a forward at the Cats. When mids are resting he could go into the midfeild, like Chapman does.
But according to you he has pace, is a freak, can blow games open up forward and play in the mids as well.

Context. He definitely has potential to be as good as Judd (he WAS pick 9 after all) but I was just highlighting all of that because he certainly is a gifted and talented player - especially from what I've seen. Lyon is making the right choice at the moment - people are earning their place above him - but when it boils down to it, I reckon Armitage would do better than Gwilt at this stage.

And what's up with you mocking his pace. Every time I see him play he's lightning quick.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
DWOODROW
Club Player

Don't worry James, Joffa is either Jealous or a muppett. Why else would he ridicule a 20year old footballer trying to make his mark in Afl and get a spot in a side that is going great guns. I agree with your comments and would like to see him in. At the moment I don't see him coming in for a while but to make an example of him and make out he is a nobody is just lame. I would like to see his skills on show. I've played with Dave and if given the chance would clean you up with a good hip and shoulder. ha :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

James wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Name one game he has blown open.
2008 against Essendon I watched him. He kicked a crunch goal in the final quarter and did his bit in the side.
I never said that. I was just comparing the idea of Armitage playing forward to Chapman playing as a forward at the Cats. When mids are resting he could go into the midfeild, like Chapman does.

Context. He definitely has potential to be as good as Judd (he WAS pick 9 after all) but I was just highlighting all of that because he certainly is a gifted and talented player - especially from what I've seen. Lyon is making the right choice at the moment - people are earning their place above him - but when it boils down to it, I reckon Armitage would do better than Gwilt at this stage.

And what's up with you mocking his pace. Every time I see him play he's lightning quick.
James nice to be optimistic but he doesn't have the potential to be Chris Judd. Doesn'T do your argument any good saying things like that.

older saint
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:

One thing Gwilt has not been doing is kicking enough goals. Armo seems to have the knack of kicking goals...so as posted by me in another thread I would not mind seeing him tried asa HF.
Gwilt may only be averaging 3+ marks a game but his role is a lead up forward who requires a marking backman to play on him. He at times is a decoy and have alook how many more times this season Roo adn Kosi are not going up against 2 or 3 players compared to last year.

Opposition will not respect Armitage ability overhead and will zone off in contested areas on to Roo and Kosi.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Gwilt may only be averaging 3+ marks a game but his role is a lead up forward who requires a marking backman to play on him. He at times is a decoy and have alook how many more times this season Roo adn Kosi are not going up against 2 or 3 players compared to last year.

Opposition will not respect Armitage ability overhead and will zone off in contested areas on to Roo and Kosi.
gwilt has inherited the role that sammy gilbert was earmarked for in the pre-season. might not be taking a lot of marks, but theoretically doing so is part of his job description as third tall forward.

there's no rule to say that we must play that structure, but i'd prefer someone who can do a bit of both. ie, 1) provide a marking contest and 2) not be a total mug when hits the ground.

some goals would be handy as well.

bj would be fantastic in that role if you could ever spare him. gilbert would probably make a good fist of it, too, if you could spare him.

goose probably needs to be played in a key position.

raph would be a possibility.

lynch might be a chance down the track, but could be considered too green at the moment.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 28 May 2009 8:16pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

One of the real issues with Gwilt is how the opposition view him.

If they view him as a danger then he causes the opposition to structure the way we want them to - dropping an extra defender in front of Roo.

If they don't view him as a danger then his man can leave him and become the extra man against Roo and allow the opposition to man up Fisher/BJ, which is not what we want.

Just think about the teams we've played.

Against Essendon I think it was McPhee who played on Gwilt. McPhee (and the coaches) decided to leave Gwilt and he became the extra against Roo after quarter time.

I'm not sure who Brisbane had on him - Drummond?

I'm pretty sure Geelong will use Harley/Milburn on him, on the basis that they are teh blokes they like to free up in their backline.

I'm pretty confident that if Gwilt was playing as well as an O'Keefe or Sammy Hammill, there'd be no thought from the opposition about leaving him alone.

Gwilt needs to punish the opposition for disrespecting him. Only after he punishes them will they show him any respect, which will in turn suit us.

IMHO, Armo will never attract the type of defender that the role Gwilt is playing does, because he is not that 'taller' type of player.

Gilbert would
Raph would
Lynch would

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:IMHO, Armo will never attract the type of defender that the role Gwilt is playing does, because he is not that 'taller' type of player.
As far as I could tell, Drummond spent time on Gwilt, Mini and Schneider on Sunday. I don't think we made much effort to lock him down, and I don't think we've made much effort all year to lock down rebounders. It was definitely a focus last year, but we're much less of a lockdown team this year. We could have tried harder to get Mini on Drummond if we wanted to stop him.

Most of the guys who have played on Gwilt are guys who can play tall, but generally rebound off smalls. If we had Armo or Eddy up fron rather than Gwilt, I don't think it would make much difference to the way we're playing our forward line. Guys like Drummond, McPhee, Lake, etc are always going to drop in front of Roo and Kosi because they know we're trying to isolate them in even-numbered contests. They're going to hurt us the other way if we don't try and lock them down. We don't appear overly concerned at this stage though.

If we were going to bring in another small, my money would be on Eddy, not Armo. Eddy's played up there a lot more than Armo has. Armo's chance will come eventually, but I'd think it'd be in the centre rather than up front.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
hotdish
Club Player

McQualter and Geary have been playing the defensive half forward role who tags a player and tackles and pressures runners out of the backline, while kicking a few goals.

Geary has kicked 5.4 from 9 games with 32 tackles (compared with 0.3 and 13 tackles from his 10 games last year)

McQualter has kicked 8.3 from 9 games with 36 tackles (compared with 2.1 and 39 tackles from his 12 games last year)

IF Armitage was to come into the team, I would think he would play this role, as he is a good goal kicker (He kicked 10.6 with 43 tackles from 13 games last year).

I think Geary and McQualter are both playing well, and thus unless there is an injury in the midfield (L Ball, Dal, Montagna, Hayes, Ray, Gram), I don't see him getting a game soon...

vacuous space
SS Life Member

hotdish wrote:McQualter and Geary have been playing the defensive half forward role who tags a player and tackles and pressures runners out of the backline, while kicking a few goals.
I don't think either one is tagging anybody. It's not like Birss last year where you could see him actively seeking out a player. Those two seem to be focused on playing their games, winning the ball and contributing to the attack.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ace
Saintsational Legend

Sacrificed to the Gold Coast Bikinis to stop them stealing one of our better players.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA