Clinton vs Cameron

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Loyal
Club Player

Clinton vs Cameron

Rd. 14 DING DING!!
The battle of the taggers. what does everyone think?

For mine should Geelong continue to suffer suspension and injury and assuming their midfield output is somewhat reduced would it be a possitive objective to eliminate their best tagger in Ling and effectively take him out of the competition by drawing him into a tagathon with our best utility?

Despite what people may think about Geelong, should their midfield be down on personnel, does Jonesy go one-on-one with the Redfish?

Footy Classified - NO ROOM FOR THE, who farted?
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Jones will go to Ablett. Ling will go to DalSanto. It will then be a battle to see which club best "protects" its star midfielder. Having said that, there will be plenty more match ups in that game that will go a long way to determining the outcome !!

Loyal
Club Player

good point Eastern.
I s'pose the rationale for that would be that you put your best tagger on their best runner and vice versa.

Just feel that there are a lot of midfield match-ups that need to be thoroughly thought through.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Jones will go to Ablett, I think he will go to either Bartel or Selwood.

Jones job hasn't been on the best player in each side necassarialy. He's been on players that play well when their team wins, and play badly when their team loses. This is hard to guag for Geelong as they haven't lost yet.

Loyal
Club Player

it's interesting.
dal santo and selwood will almost certainly go together.

i reckon there are two established quarterbacks:- montagna and bartel.
montagna the only bloke who has the explosivity to stop ablett.

ling is a tackler in every sense of the word nowadays. he doesn't even consider being an offensive unit. why not make him accountable?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Ling's a gun at what he does.

Imagine if Clint had the same penetration and goal sense.

He'd be just about the ideal player!

I say Clint to Gablett. I mean, who else? They are not dissimilar in size and strength as I see it. Does CJ have the speed to go with Ablett from a standing start? Prob stating the obvious, but I reckon that's where Gablett gets away...

Loyal
Club Player

Ling, goal sense? please man Ling is a tackler. Ling exists in a role as a pressure player. When was the last time Ling kicked a goal? please, I would like to know?

GAJ would destroy CJ.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Not saying he kicks bags, Loyal. In fact he's only kicked 1 this year apparently. But when he does go at the sticks he doesn't often miss. And he has raking hoof on him. For instance in '07 he kicked 28.6.

That said, you're right his role has become incredibly defensive. That's not to say he can no longer kick, though.

CJ on the other hand...Hmmm...He could be incredibly damaging if he could nail a goal or two every couple of weeks.

So you say let Gablett run free? Maybe Montagna will balance the ledger?

That, or something like it, is a definite possibility of course.
Last edited by Thinline on Thu 28 May 2009 11:28am, edited 1 time in total.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Jones will go to Ablett. Ling will go to DalSanto. It will then be a battle to see which club best "protects" its star midfielder. Having said that, there will be plenty more match ups in that game that will go a long way to determining the outcome !!
and on that battle ablett will be protected...ling always carves up dal going the other way - it would be nice to see a reversal

we should do our best to corral ablett into positions that makes his less effective espeically at center bounces/clearances...i have no idea how to do this although i liked dean bailey's emphasis on this prior to the dees/hawks game as to the positions on his players against the areas that the hawks tap to and clear from

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Loyal
Club Player

Well I will say this: In terms of outright speed Joey is the only one with enough downforce to match GAJ. That's why Joey would be good as the 1/4back in a rebound role.
Dal goes to Selwood.
Hayes and Ling maybe.
Then they have Corey and perhaps Chapman.
You could bring CJ into the middle with the specific role of keeping Ling quiet which would free up Lenny to a certain degree because Corey has nothing on Lenny. They would then bring Chapman in to keep Lenny quiet at which time you remain to keep CJ on Ling and we have a ball-up. Start all over again. Ball wins the hardball and the clearance St Kilda win the fixture.
Hard to say .. I just feel that there is a lot to be gained from playing CJ on Ling in order to address the fact that Ling is undeniably a stoppage player.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I say we rest them all. We don't want to give away any trade secrets. Beating them will be a negative,we'll get ahead of ourselves and fall in a hole again like 04.
Rest the entire midfield,blood the kids giving them exposure to the big stage. Treat Geelong with disrespect...
Fool proof plan

Bring back the Lockett era
Loyal
Club Player

jonesy wrote:I say we rest them all. We don't want to give away any trade secrets. Beating them will be a negative,we'll get ahead of ourselves and fall in a hole again like 04.
Rest the entire midfield,blood the kids giving them exposure to the big stage. Treat Geelong with disrespect...
Fool proof plan
Choo-choo needs footy :wink:

SainterX1
Club Player

Loyal wrote:Well I will say this: In terms of outright speed Joey is the only one with enough downforce to match GAJ. That's why Joey would be good as the 1/4back in a rebound role.
Dal goes to Selwood.
Hayes and Ling maybe.
Then they have Corey and perhaps Chapman.
You could bring CJ into the middle with the specific role of keeping Ling quiet which would free up Lenny to a certain degree because Corey has nothing on Lenny. They would then bring Chapman in to keep Lenny quiet at which time you remain to keep CJ on Ling and we have a ball-up. Start all over again. Ball wins the hardball and the clearance St Kilda win the fixture.
Hard to say .. I just feel that there is a lot to be gained from playing CJ on Ling in order to address the fact that Ling is undeniably a stoppage player.
So, you want to send our best tagger to keep quiet a guy that you think has no offensive game at all??? The only matchup in the middle that is near to certain is Ling on Hayes. I think if CJ keeps up his form, he may go to Ablett, and the rest of the matchups will change throughout the day.

You also think Chapman will go to Hayes??? Or Corey going to Hayes??? Are you being serious?

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Loyal wrote:Ling, goal sense? please man Ling is a tackler. Ling exists in a role as a pressure player. When was the last time Ling kicked a goal? please, I would like to know?

GAJ would destroy CJ.
Ling has fantastic goal sense, it's one of the many things that sets him apart from the rest of the crowd tagger wise. He's a decent mark, good lead and great set shot.

The reason his goal totals have dried up is that since 2007 (when he was goal a game), most coaches have recognised just how good a goalkicker he is (apaprently played a lot of forward as a junior), and that when trying to shake him they cannot send his victims to their defensive lines. He's got a fantastic ratio (107.48) over his career. He beats quality mids wherever he plays on them, when they go back, he kicks goals on them.

The last time Ling kicked a goal was 12 days ago.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Marcus1232
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Loyal wrote:Ling, goal sense? please man Ling is a tackler. Ling exists in a role as a pressure player. When was the last time Ling kicked a goal? please, I would like to know?

GAJ would destroy CJ.
Ling has fantastic goal sense, it's one of the many things that sets him apart from the rest of the crowd tagger wise. He's a decent mark, good lead and great set shot.

The reason his goal totals have dried up is that since 2007 (when he was goal a game), most coaches have recognised just how good a goalkicker he is (apaprently played a lot of forward as a junior), and that when trying to shake him they cannot send his victims to their defensive lines. He's got a fantastic ratio (107.48) over his career. He beats quality mids wherever he plays on them, when they go back, he kicks goals on them.

The last time Ling kicked a goal was 12 days ago.
agree 100%

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i'm sitting here thinking...who the f*** is cameron???? :twisted: :twisted:

...then i realised.......i just normally think of him as that ugly c***.......
Last edited by stinger on Thu 28 May 2009 2:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Marcus1232
Club Player

stinger wrote:i'm sitting here thing...who the f*** is cameron???? :twisted: :twisted:

...then i realised.......i just normally think of him as that ugly c***.......
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see Jones play on Ablett in the first half, GAJ always comes out firing and usually plays his best footy early.

I think he should then go to Bartel in the second half, they usually use Bartel as a half back flanker doing a lot of the clean up work in the first half before sending him into the middle to do some real damage whilst still being relatively fresh.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
The Sainter
Club Player

The man who does so much damage to other teams is Chapman. he always seems to be on his own and often kicks the goals that matter.
We must put someone on him to play him close and never leave his side. not Jones who will be needed elsewhere, probably on the brilliant Ablett, but say a player like perhaps McQualter to go with him and never give him room to breathe. When under pressure Chapman often gets frustrated and gives away some stupid free kicks but as stated he is too good a player to be
given a free rein as he could cut us to pieces.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Jones on Ablett. Ling on Dal. Hayes head to head with either Bartel or Corey. Ball and Selwood head to head. Max on Mooney. Dawson on Hawkins. Gilbert or Fisher on Johnson. Taylor on Roo. Scarlett on Kosi. David Johnson on Milne. Harley 'on' Schneider. Mackie on Gwilt.

I'm not sure I even need to show up. It's so obvious how this one is going to go.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Jones on Ablett. Ling on Dal. Hayes head to head with either Bartel or Corey. Ball and Selwood head to head. Max on Mooney. Dawson on Hawkins. Gilbert or Fisher on Johnson. Taylor on Roo. Scarlett on Kosi. David Johnson on Milne. Harley 'on' Schneider. Mackie on Gwilt.

I'm not sure I even need to show up. It's so obvious how this one is going to go.
Sounds like a whole heap of jumper pulling and scragging going on while Sherrin sits untouched in the middle of the ground...

ace
Saintsational Legend

CJ is our only tagger who can run with the explosive pace of Gablett and Gablett must be stopped from getting over 40 possesions.

But Geelong has a number of players who can destroy you without Gabellet.
Baker may not have the pace but he knows the taggers craft better than anyone.
He must take out Selwood or Bartel
It may be necessary for St Kilda to assign even another hard targger to eliminate the other.

3 taggers, you can't do that I hear you cry.
Of course you can after the ball is bounced in the centre square.
There is no law in football that says you must have 6 forwards, 6 defenders and 6 midfielders.
St Kilda can play with 4 forwards and 8 midfielders.

Hawthorn does this all the time.
Buddy, the Roughie and 2 crumbers, everyone else banned from the forward 50.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:Sounds like a whole heap of jumper pulling and scragging going on while Sherrin sits untouched in the middle of the ground...
I only had Ling and Jones on hard tags, and both of those two like to run off. I don't anticipate a lockdown type of game.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

im sure mini will get a huge role in this game ..... but this is still a long way off lets just stop the dees first

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Raven
Club Player

When reading the title of this thread, I thought it was referring to the game this weekend and it was implying CJ would be tagging Cam Bruce.