Scared to make a change?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Scared to make a change?

Firstly I am a pro RL fan, but I am able to think for myself and thus don't agree with every direction the club takes. This is probably my only issue for what has been a fantastic decision.

How long will it take for Ross Lyon to make the hard decision and elevate the senior players playing in the reserves. Will it happen, or will be soft and eventually wait for an injury to occur for a spot to free up?

Does he have the guts to make the big decision and say to Zac, great effort but as always Hudghton is our number one defender.

The same goes for Gram and Maguire, wich should definitely be in the team, especially with the likes of Gwilt, McQualter and Blake running around. Will he be able to make the big decision and say to these guys, great efforts, we just need to make room for these guys.

It seems that Ross has developed a culture in which you put in effort and you get rewarded - but surely it is ludicrous keeping quality players in the reserves. Has he developed a scenario that he no longer controls? Will the changes happen? Or will he wait for the easy way out?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Why should Maguire definitely be in the team?

saint4life
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Why should Mini not be in the team?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure Max is our number one defender ATM.

There's no place for Goose. He's not considered good enough next to who's in there now, forward OR back. I don't see why so many view that as controversial.

As for Gram... well he was either dropped, or broke the rules. So tough luck. He now has to earn a spot.

In short I don't think there's anything ludicrous about anything at all.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scared to make a change?

Spinner wrote: How long will it take for Ross Lyon to make the hard decision and elevate the senior players playing in the reserves. Will it happen, or will be soft and eventually wait for an injury to occur for a spot to free up?

Does he have the guts to make the big decision and say to Zac, great effort but as always Hudghton is our number one defender.
Your very premise for the OP as highlighted above shows that you clearly believe you understand what RL and his assistants think.

How do you know what he thinks?

Maybe there are other reasons why the selections have been what they have?

How do you know what he has spoken to the players about and told them?

You assume about what is going on and then post it as if it is a fact?

python
Club Player

i dont think maguire is a definite in, we have no idea how he will play at senior level, and unfortunately, there is a good chance he wont be able to adapt to the style of play in todays game. I dont think gwilt mcqualter and blake are definite outs. Gram will be in soon enough, he was only dropped for disciplinary reasons, and the only thing stopping him coming back would be failure to learn from his punishment.

Ross proved last week he could make the hard decision, when he allowed gram to be dropped, i know the leaders made the decision, but it was ultimately up to lyon whether it was followed through or not

spert
Saintsational Legend

The culture has definately changed at the club..we seem to be more like the successful premiership clubs over the last couple of decades, where reputations never got players games over players in form, or players required for certain jobs. I'm feeling like Max and Goose are players from a previous culture and will need to really kick ass in the VFL to be considered for a senior gig.

busso mick
Club Player

For years we have cried foul about our injury curse and how it has cost us games (some say premierships), now that we have stability on the injury front and a 9-zip record some are complaining about certain players not getting picked. A lot of premiership teams of the past have had very little change in their playing roster, I couldn't care less if Hudghton, Maguire or Gram don't get picked again if we maintain our form and injuries don't happen. Opportunities will likely present themselves at some stage, till that happens it should be "more of the same".

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Spinner wrote: How long will it take for Ross Lyon to make the hard decision and elevate the senior players playing in the reserves. Will it happen, or will be soft and eventually wait for an injury to occur for a spot to free up?

Your very premise for the OP as highlighted above shows that you clearly believe you understand what RL and his assistants think.

Firstly Magic, its called a discussion forum. You'll notice that question marks are used quite frequently throughout my post.

Secondly the only thing I post as fact is that Gram, Maguire and Hudghton are senior players....Dunno where I got that from, maybe from their combined games tally of over 400, maybe it was watching them play, maybe its their talent.....

Thirdly, I am still interested in your discussion on some of my points and question. Remember, discussion forum.

roxanne
Club Player

Ross Lyon has said publicly he recognises Max as a champion of the club andwants Max back in before the bye.
So, I think that will happen. However, I don't think Dawson will be dropped for him.

He has spoken of McGuire as an AFL standard player, is thinking about him as a third tall forward or back up mobile ruckman.
Perhaps when we need a third tall forward he will get his chance.

Gram lost his place in the side for (probably) a combination of reasons.
He will need to fight his way back. He's named first emergency so I suppose he's next in line if someone similarly messes up. That he didn't get straight back in makes that unlikely. So he's now relying on injury or poor form.

It's all looking rosy to me.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Max will be back very soon. Mark my words.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
James
Club Player

Blake and McQualter have done more than enough to keep their place in the side.

Other teams would kill to have Blake as their third/fourth tall back. In addition to that he can pinch in the ruck if someone goes down, run through the midfield and go forward.

As for McQualter, don't judge by reputation. He's had a stunning season so far.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:For years we have cried foul about our injury curse and how it has cost us games (some say premierships), now that we have stability on the injury front and a 9-zip record some are complaining about certain players not getting picked. A lot of premiership teams of the past have had very little change in their playing roster, I couldn't care less if Hudghton, Maguire or Gram don't get picked again if we maintain our form and injuries don't happen. Opportunities will likely present themselves at some stage, till that happens it should be "more of the same".
Amusing post - especially the highlighted section.

One would probably make the argument that those three would be very much a part of maintaining our form. The rest of the season only gets harder, finals are another step in level. The ability to improve, even if we are undefeated will be a major part in our premiership hopes.

And to respond to the overall gist of your post - I see the opposite scenario. I see we finally have a full injury list, but this is preventing the senior players from playing senior football. Senior player which are in risk of injuring themselves in the VFL. Senior players whose talent are being wasted in the seconds.

I dont see any linkage or set structure between preforming in the seconds to being elevated into the firsts. Barring injury, when and how will these players be able to play?

James
Club Player

Main thinking point - just because we're undefeated, doesn't mean we can't improve.

That being said, there's little changes I can think of to make room for those you'd think deserve a spot in the team.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Firstly Magic, its called a discussion forum. You'll notice that question marks are used quite frequently throughout my post.

Secondly the only thing I post as fact is that Gram, Maguire and Hudghton are senior players....Dunno where I got that from, maybe from their combined games tally of over 400, maybe it was watching them play, maybe its their talent.....

Thirdly, I am still interested in your discussion on some of my points and question. Remember, discussion forum.
There's nothing to discuss in the OP as you've posted it
The only question marks you use are at the ends of questions you pose in relation to your assertion.
example
'Will it happen, or will be soft...?'
You label his selection decisions as SOFT.

Who declared it as soft other than yourself?

Maybe if you'd posted that 'the current selection policy, IMO, appears to be soft.....' I might have undestood you were looking for discussion rather than posting your opinion as fact?

If that's the case then I am happy to discuss it with you.

No, I don't think the current selection decisions/criteria are soft.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

James wrote:Blake and McQualter have done more than enough to keep their place in the side.

Other teams would kill to have Blake as their third/fourth tall back. In addition to that he can pinch in the ruck if someone goes down, run through the midfield and go forward.

As for McQualter, don't judge by reputation. He's had a stunning season so far.
I rate McQualter. But selection is selection.

And I dont believe the bolded comment is very accurate.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Actually I think it takes far more guts to play the the lesser lights in the side than take the easy route and bring back the senior players.

And in my opinion Gram and Max are the only two who would be close to getting a game. There's no spot for Goose.

James
Club Player

I believe there's enough room for both Hudghton and Dawson in our lineup. Hudghton can take mediums and smalls as well, and both have been playing well enough.

B: Hudghton - Dawson - Dempster

It seems about right.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

If seniors players are a walk-up start then the team isn't good enough. Pressure from the reserves is invaluable. We have a fantastic injury list and great depth. All players should be judged on their 2009 input and that is all. No premierships are won on reputation.

halcyon

I don't understand the the love affair with Maguire? What has he done to deserve a spot over blake who has finished top 10 over the last 2 years and has been part of a great defensive line up for all of 2009? Blake's almost racked up 150 games at this club, where's the respect?

kaos theory
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Firstly I am a pro RL fan, but I am able to think for myself and thus don't agree with every direction the club takes. This is probably my only issue for what has been a fantastic decision.

How long will it take for Ross Lyon to make the hard decision and elevate the senior players playing in the reserves. Will it happen, or will be soft and eventually wait for an injury to occur for a spot to free up?

The same goes for Gram and Maguire, wich should definitely be in the team, especially with the likes of Gwilt, McQualter and Blake running around. Will he be able to make the big decision and say to these guys, great efforts, we just need to make room for these guys.

It seems that Ross has developed a culture in which you put in effort and you get rewarded - but surely it is ludicrous keeping quality players in the reserves. Has he developed a scenario that he no longer controls? Will the changes happen? Or will he wait for the easy way out?
I could easily argue the opposite & say that RL has shown a lot of courage by not rewarding players simply on past reputations, but on actual performance.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
Spinner wrote:Firstly I am a pro RL fan, but I am able to think for myself and thus don't agree with every direction the club takes. This is probably my only issue for what has been a fantastic decision.

I could easily argue the opposite & say that RL has shown a lot of courage by not rewarding players simply on past reputations, but on actual performance.
How does that even make sense?

Hudghton has been playing for ten years....

Who has been rewarded for playing performances in the reserves? Who has forced their way in barring a spot due to injury? Xavier Clarke?

kaos theory
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

How does that even make sense?

Hudghton has been playing for ten years....

Who has been rewarded for playing performances in the reserves? Who has forced their way in barring a spot due to injury? Xavier Clarke?
He could have easily dropped dawson as soon as max was available (or after one week in the resies), but the more games he gets into dawson, the better he is going to be. Max will get back in soon. What's the big deal? we are 9-0. We have the luxury of esasing him back.

Also, X was a good player, but again, the tough decision of keeping players like gwilt, jones & geary in the team, means these guys have gained confidence in their play & gotten a lot better, and it has created more depth in our team.

he could have easily dropped someone for goose, based on reputation, but he has rewarded the players how have performed.

bob__71
Club Player

How much better do you think Zac is playing because he has the support of his coach, rather than being made to feel like merely a part time replacement?

Do you think he would play that well if he knew the minute Max came back he would be out?

Biggest difference between GT and RL RL doesnt have golden childs, GT most definately did

saintnat
Club Player

gran and goose are both fairly hiot players and should be in the team

tjhey boith can run hard and have good epxerience

i think they would add strneth to our team come time to play geelong

but if not keep up good vfl form it is where most our hot playsers play with sandrinjham