Rucks for next week?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

starsign
Club Player

Rucks for next week?

RH35 wrote:On McEvoy, I saw him pull up lame just before 3/4 time. Did he come back on in the last quarter? I am interested because I heard Lyon say King and Gardiner are both sore and struggling to get up for the weekend (Gardiner will be suspended regardless). If McEvoy is now injured will be very interesting to see how they go.
Just picked up on this from todays Zeb report
Thought it worthy of its own thread!....

Wow , this could throw a cat among the pidgins for next week
What a scenario if we haven't got Gards, King or McEvoy!

what are the options ?
Blake , Kozi , Goose, Stanley Debut?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

King will play and Blake will support him, with Max coming back to the back line.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rucks for next week?

starsign wrote:
RH35 wrote:On McEvoy, I saw him pull up lame just before 3/4 time. Did he come back on in the last quarter? I am interested because I heard Lyon say King and Gardiner are both sore and struggling to get up for the weekend (Gardiner will be suspended regardless). If McEvoy is now injured will be very interesting to see how they go.

what are the options ?

Pidgins ..are they related to to the bird variety pigeons!!!

LOL...don't takei t seriously...hate the pedantic spell police...knew what you meant ..... :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:King will play and Blake will support him, with Max coming back to the back line.
Yes, that is an option but...

If gardi gets rubbed out there is also a possibility

1. McEvoy in (if fit)

2. Kosi as the second ruck resting froward and Goose as our third tall in the forward line.

We do have a few options

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:King will play and Blake will support him, with Max coming back to the back line.
Yes, that is an option but...

If gardi gets rubbed out there is also a possibility

1. McEvoy in (if fit)

2. Kosi as the second ruck resting froward and Goose as our third tall in the forward line.

We do have a few options
yes..floated that option 24 hours ago FID :wink:

.. there are some decisions to be made...

All will be revealed Thursday night 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Kosi is not a ruckman's bootlace.
Leave him forward where he belongs.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Kosi is not a ruckman's bootlace.
One would say the same (or even more so) for Todd Goldstein (norths second ruck option)

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Kosi is not a ruckman's bootlace.
Agreed, I dont like him in the ruck either. Moreso because he seems to me more likely to get injured.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:Wow , this could throw a cat among the pidgins for next week

what are the options ?
i saw the first half of the zebras today and stanley looks a very impressive prospect. goose could come in as a mobile second ruck, kosi can ruck, blake can ruck. we've plenty of options.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

play Stanley vs Goldstein!!!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

what are the options ?
i saw the first half of the zebras today and stanley looks a very impressive prospect. goose could come in as a mobile second ruck, kosi can ruck, blake can ruck. we've plenty of options.
Blake can't ruck. He got smashed in the ruck in Adelaide when King came off. He gives away a minimum of 10cm height in the ruck. If we have to depend on Blake in the ruck then St.Kilda's stuffed.

Another opportunity awaits!
James
Club Player

McEvoy/Stanley will get absolutely destroyed against McIntosh, but what the hell, go for it. Their midfeild is a dud crop. Hayes, Ball, Dal Santo, Goddard and Montagna will tear them to pieces.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

what are the options ?
Blake can't ruck. He got smashed in the ruck in Adelaide when King came off. He gives away a minimum of 10cm height in the ruck. If we have to depend on Blake in the ruck then St.Kilda's stuffed.
if all of gardiner, king and mcevoy were injured/suspended i'd go with kosi and stanley in the ruck and bring in goose to play chf.

but blake has been an effective ruck option at times in the past.

concedes a bit at the bounces but gives you plenty around the ground.

i remember him towelling up sandilands who stands about a foot taller. just exposed him for mobility.

starsign
Club Player

saint patrick wrote:
starsign wrote:

what are the options ?
Pidgins ..are they related to to the bird variety pigeons!!!

LOL...don't takei t seriously...hate the pedantic spell police...knew what you meant ..... :wink:
LOL thanks for that StPat
Knew it was out of wack but had a bit of a sp brain fade so I went for the "pidgin" as in Pidgin English ...er I think!!

anyway ta to the others for responding also, and I guess the full picture will unfold during the week
Was interested in hearing what peeps thought of the various options we have to possibly go with

I would hate to move Koz other than to give him the occasional run as we now do , and if Big Mac is fit I think he's the priority to come in for either Gards or Kingy
If both are out it will open up some interesting alternatives no doubt!

Big Carls sounds good......
if all of gardiner, king and mcevoy were injured/suspended i'd go with kosi and stanley in the ruck and bring in goose to play chf.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If they don't have the guts to bring Goose in to play at CHB (and put Blake in the ruck, to replace Gardi), I sincerely hope they bring him in to play in the ruck (if McEvoy doesn't come up).
The wait has been long enough. It's getting ridiculous. Unless he's much worse than he used to be, Goose is clearly in our best team. Many seem to be so scared of change, but there's a long, long way to go and a change can be as good as a holiday. Many are scared that if we make a change we could get worse, but we could also get better, or stay the same. There's one way to find out and it won't cost us much to do so. We'll learn something from it and be stronger/wiser for it.
We need to get Max and Goose back in the seniors and strengthen our half forward line with either Sam Fisher or Sammy Gilbert. Imagine their marking strength across half forward, leading up to the wings and letting Roo and Kosi stay inside the 50 more! How many teams would be able to cover Roo and Kosi inside 50, and Gilbert and/or Fisher across half forward?
I wouldn't want to play Kosi in the ruck, as he only seems to do well when settled in one position. When he had that brilliant period a few years ago, he was playing mainly in the ruck, but he was settled there. Now, when played there, he doesn't seem to do much, as he's used to playing full forward. We can easily afford to play McEvoy, Goose or Blake in the ruck, before Kosi.
We need to have the guts to pick our very best available team EVERY WEEK. We don't have to make winning a flag any harder than it needs to be.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
claystreet
Club Player

Goose as a ruckman? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PLEEEEZ

starsign
Club Player

claystreet wrote:Goose as a ruckman? lol lol lol !

PLEEEEZ
Ross Lyon "on the Couch" 2 weeks ago....
RL on playing Goose forward

We just wanted to give Matt the chance to take the game on and not follow someone around. His level of frustration is obviously building, he’s probably played 9 or 10 games in a row….
Is elite the right term? He is certainly a bonefide AFL player….. so it’s been tough.
We wanted to create some opportunities more than waiting for an opportunity down back,…..
and we also believe he can be a mobile ruckman
So he’s a terrific character and we think he is really going to play a part this year, how big a part we just don’t know yet !

"Claystreet as a selector" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

McEvoy was taken off at the end of the match because the game was all over and it was obvious that he may be required in the seniors this week.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

claystreet wrote:Goose as a ruckman? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PLEEEEZ
How long have you been around? Where do you think Goose started his senior career playing for St Kilda? He came in and played ruck for a year or so (in about 2003), and then moved to CHB.
I'm not suggesting he's ideal in that position, far from it, but if Gardi and McEvoy were both unavailable this week, our next options are Kosi, Blake Goose and Stanley. I wouldn't move Kosi from FF, so Goose is as good an option there as any of the other 3. And it's only for a week. Ross also suggested the possibility of him playing ruck a couple of weeks ago. Our guys will get plenty of crumbs, no matter who plays there.
I mainly suggested it to get him into the team somewhere, because I fully believe he's in our best 22, unless he's completely lost it, which I doubt. It can then be juggled around the next week. We need to get into the habit of playing our very best team. I'd put him straight in to CHB and rotate Blake through the ruck (if McEvoy doesn't come up). We can easily afford to try a couple of things out. Keep guys on their toes and everyone interested.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Going to be interesting what they do with the ruck this week. As it is they will probably be returning Milney, and Max. Our selectors dont like making any changes at all, so they will find it hard to make three for the game. Therefore I can see them sticking with a ruck of King, Kosi, and Blake.

claystreet
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
claystreet wrote:Goose as a ruckman? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PLEEEEZ
How long have you been around? Where do you think Goose started his senior career playing for St Kilda? He came in and played ruck for a year or so (in about 2003), and then moved to CHB.
I'm not suggesting he's ideal in that position, far from it, but if Gardi and McEvoy were both unavailable this week, our next options are Kosi, Blake Goose and Stanley. I wouldn't move Kosi from FF, so Goose is as good an option there as any of the other 3. And it's only for a week. Ross also suggested the possibility of him playing ruck a couple of weeks ago. Our guys will get plenty of crumbs, no matter who plays there.
I mainly suggested it to get him into the team somewhere, because I fully believe he's in our best 22, unless he's completely lost it, which I doubt. It can then be juggled around the next week. We need to get into the habit of playing our very best team. I'd put him straight in to CHB and rotate Blake through the ruck (if McEvoy doesn't come up). We can easily afford to try a couple of things out. Keep guys on their toes and everyone interested.
You ask how long i have been around well i have been around long enough to see the saints win a flag

You tell me hes a ruckman what ruckman he was a dud as a ruckman?

OH you answered that question i believe when you said "I'm not suggesting he's ideal in that position, far from it"

Go contradict yourself somewhere else

:roll:

and may i ask how long you have been around expert??

claystreet
Club Player

starsign wrote:
claystreet wrote:Goose as a ruckman? lol lol lol !

PLEEEEZ
"Claystreet as a selector" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Another expert that knowes the lot you make me laugh

Believe non of what you hear and half of what you see and you wont make stupid statements on hearsay and inuendo

i believe he will play forward at some stage in place of Gwilt or the likes but if he plays as a number one ruckman this year i'll go follow Carlton next year, that how confident i am that he wont. Oh Ross said he "might" try him so it must be going to happen. Open your eyes expert