Boredom

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint vince
Club Player

Boredom

It seems that being 10 zip and playing well has bred some boredom amongst our posters. We have some strange topics starting up. From Billy Slater being lured from Rugby leauge to dropping blokes off our list who have been emergencies every week this season.

I think everyone should just watch a couple of our games from the season bathe in the glor of the saints and post a topic about how good we are.

I started the trend and posted one about our score less quarters.

More positives and footy talk is needed I think.

C'mon saints

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Here's a few positives,

Highest Score For : 161 (StK v WCE)
Lowest Score Against : 28 (StK v Frem)
Most Goals For : 25 (StK v WCE), (WB v Frem)
Least Goals Against : 4 (StK v Frem), (Adel v Melb)
Most Quarters Won : 30 (StK, Geel)
Most 1st QTRs Won : 9 (StK)
Least Players Used : 25 (StK)
Least Overall Points Against : 576 (StK)
Most Wins : 10 (StK, Geel)
Least Losses : 0 (StK, Geel)
Highest Percentage : 183.51% (StK)
Most Goalless QTRs Against : 9 (StK)
Most Scoreless QTRs Agaisnt : 3 (StK)
Longest Winning Streak : 10 (StK, Geel)

St.Kilda
2nd Most Points For.
2nd Most Goals Scored.
2nd in Disposals Per Game.
1st in Kicks per Game.
2nd in Marks per Game.
3rd in Handballs per game.
2nd in Tackles per game.
1st in Free Kicks per game.
2nd in Least Opponent Kicks per game.
1st in Least Opponent Scoring Shots per game.

aussiejones
Club Player

Not bad for a 'tired team' !!!

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Absolutely magnificent... what a brilliant position to be in... undefeated!
This is the stuff that footy dreams are made of!
Go Sainters! Keep up the brilliant work!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
saint vince
Club Player

aussiejones wrote:Not bad for a 'tired team' !!!
And a team with too many weak links and passengers!!!!!!!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I just watch the replay of the Saints v Melbourne game for the first time and I am really at a loss to understand the gnashing of teeth and howling at the moon.

It was actually not a bad game. Sure we didn't kick too straight but two or three points were touched on the line - and at least one mark in the square was taken off Kosi. The Melbourne backline was under seige in the third quarter and they had the whole team in the back half - the reason why they didn't even score.

Fourth qtr the Saints looked bored and played out time by working on their defensive structure (and the Dees also had a crack).

I saw MASSIVE positives in our game. Our defensive structure completely swamped any Melbourne chance after halftime - our backline was superb - and our ball movement was pretty good.

The negatives were our skills in hitting targets - we need to work on that.

Now I know that we have the usual suspects hammering Raph and Blake but apart from one mistake from Raph which directly cost a goal - he wasn't bad at all. Similarily Blake had a very stron game down back - actually the only players I can recall butchering the ball out of defence in the second half were Gilbert and Gram. Gilbert also cost us a goal in the first half with a terrible mistake but no three page character assasination on him on this forum.

I dont know what people have against Clarke. I call play as i see it - i dont have a vested interest in Clarke or any other Saint player. I just see Clarke unfairly targeted by people here and nothing every written about other payers who make mistakes all game but somehow get away with it.

Is it laziness on some peoples parts? Is it easy to attack Blake and Raph because they are easy to attack?

Is it something else? Raph certainly has a "casual" style of running and only ever looks like he is running half paced - has along loping run. I remember Dal Santo being critisised for being "casual" in his running as well?

I really dont know - and i am sure that I wont change opinions - but after dispassionately watching the game from the weekend - I am amazed at the vitriol toward Clarke. Sure he needs to improve - but this constant victimization of him while their are others in the side escaping critisism week in week out is pretty bewildering.

Is there and agenda there? Why do posters want some of our players to fail? Are they as the title of the thread states - bored and want their favourites like Goose and Max in just for the instant gratification? Or is it ego and posters who wrote the most hateful things about Clarke last year when his dad was dying and he was struggling with epilepsy want to be justified in their hate fest and want him to fail?

Or is it something darker and more ominous?

Truly it shows this forum up as small minded and petty - especially after watching a game where Raph was supposed to singlehandedly have cause every error and scoring opportunity for the opposition - and seeing something that didn't resemble any of what was written.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Milton66
SS Life Member

Yes, all good JB, but you miss the central point of the argument.

We're first and melbourne is last... and we only won by 6 goals, not 60 goals. Therefore, something is terribly wrong with this team.

Surely anyone with half a brain can see thew obvious. :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
St Michele
Club Player

2nd in Tackles per game.....

Who is first this should be our aim!!!

Michele

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Beno that wasn't a positive post, we were 2nd and 3rd in the comp. with some of those stats. [/img]

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Sydney are 1st. Averaging 2.1 more tackles a game.

Milton66
SS Life Member

People can throw as much stats and excuses / theories as they wish.

Fact is that this team has been playing awsome footy.

The only stat that I can see is that had we kicked straighter, our "tired" wins would have been neltings like the rest.

Wanna make us a genuine contender? Improve shots at goal accuracy by 30%.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

well, amazing how we all see a game differently isnt it. I thought last weeks game was one of the worst I have ever seen, and Im leaving raph or any other players or team issues out of it.

Disposal was crap, plenty of flooding etc etc...I was pretty disappointed, but maybe that is because I bothered to travel up for the game and therefore had higher expectations than normal.

All that aside WE WON, so im remaining realistic and have to say that you HAVE to be happy with that.

We would seriously want to play better than that to beat Nth Melbourne though.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Beno88 wrote:

Sydney are 1st. Averaging 2.1 more tackles a game.
Pshh small ground.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:well, amazing how we all see a game differently isnt it. I thought last weeks game was one of the worst I have ever seen, and Im leaving raph or any other players or team issues out of it.

Disposal was crap, plenty of flooding etc etc...I was pretty disappointed, but maybe that is because I bothered to travel up for the game and therefore had higher expectations than normal.

All that aside WE WON, so im remaining realistic and have to say that you HAVE to be happy with that.

your in the wrong thread :wink:

I thought the game was scrappy live

BUT as joffa said watching it in replay you get a differant impression, much more fluid than it seemed .

A win is a win, we are mid season and a little tired - all we need to do is WIN- all teams are chasing and trying hard to be the one who' knocks of one of the top two..

I like the team aim for that first, the amount doesn't matter.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint vince
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:well, amazing how we all see a game differently isnt it. I thought last weeks game was one of the worst I have ever seen, and Im leaving raph or any other players or team issues out of it.

wrong thread mate. Plenty of bagin theads this is all about the positives. Leave it to us optimists :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

If anyone needs a reminder of how sweet it is when you're winning, you only need to look back to the beginning of the decade.

In the year 2000, after ten rounds we sat last. No wins, nine losses, one draw. A percentage of just 74.67%.

We'd never won at what was then called Colonial Stadium.

We'd just been beaten by Carlton after leading all day, Tim Watson was our coach, Cayden Beetham and Brett Moyle were among our best and we'd had three wins from our last 22 games.

Nine years on and after ten rounds we sit 1st, we've got 10 more wins, a percentage 109% higher than what it was then, we've won our last 12 at Docklands, we've won eleven games in a row over Carlton, Ross Lyon is our coach (with what is currently the greatest ever win/loss % of any coach in St.Kilda's history), we have countless great players and we've won 18 of our last 22.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

One thing lacking on this forum re last weeks game, and that is some credit to Melbourne. Even though they are 16th they played a good game and had a crack against us.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:One thing lacking on this forum re last weeks game, and that is some credit to Melbourne. Even though they are 16th they played a good game and had a crack against us.
Yes they did. They had 13 players in that game who also played in the 2006 Elimination Final which beat us by 3 goals. We had 10, which is probably the reason we won.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:

your in the wrong thread :wink:

I thought the game was scrappy live

BUT as joffa said watching it in replay you get a differant impression, much more fluid than it seemed .

A win is a win, we are mid season and a little tired - all we need to do is WIN- all teams are chasing and trying hard to be the one who' knocks of one of the top two..

I like the team aim for that first, the amount doesn't matter.
Isn't that the case I was still happy with the win but went home thinking we were really off our game tonight. But I went home and watched the replay on TV and we looked far better and cleaner.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:I just watch the replay of the Saints v Melbourne game for the first time and I am really at a loss to understand the gnashing of teeth and howling at the moon.

It was actually not a bad game. Sure we didn't kick too straight but two or three points were touched on the line - and at least one mark in the square was taken off Kosi. The Melbourne backline was under seige in the third quarter and they had the whole team in the back half - the reason why they didn't even score.

Fourth qtr the Saints looked bored and played out time by working on their defensive structure (and the Dees also had a crack).

I saw MASSIVE positives in our game. Our defensive structure completely swamped any Melbourne chance after halftime - our backline was superb - and our ball movement was pretty good.

The negatives were our skills in hitting targets - we need to work on that.

Now I know that we have the usual suspects hammering Raph and Blake but apart from one mistake from Raph which directly cost a goal - he wasn't bad at all. Similarily Blake had a very stron game down back - actually the only players I can recall butchering the ball out of defence in the second half were Gilbert and Gram. Gilbert also cost us a goal in the first half with a terrible mistake but no three page character assasination on him on this forum.

I dont know what people have against Clarke. I call play as i see it - i dont have a vested interest in Clarke or any other Saint player. I just see Clarke unfairly targeted by people here and nothing every written about other payers who make mistakes all game but somehow get away with it.

Is it laziness on some peoples parts? Is it easy to attack Blake and Raph because they are easy to attack?

Is it something else? Raph certainly has a "casual" style of running and only ever looks like he is running half paced - has along loping run. I remember Dal Santo being critisised for being "casual" in his running as well?

I really dont know - and i am sure that I wont change opinions - but after dispassionately watching the game from the weekend - I am amazed at the vitriol toward Clarke. Sure he needs to improve - but this constant victimization of him while their are others in the side escaping critisism week in week out is pretty bewildering.

Is there and agenda there? Why do posters want some of our players to fail? Are they as the title of the thread states - bored and want their favourites like Goose and Max in just for the instant gratification? Or is it ego and posters who wrote the most hateful things about Clarke last year when his dad was dying and he was struggling with epilepsy want to be justified in their hate fest and want him to fail?

Or is it something darker and more ominous?

Truly it shows this forum up as small minded and petty - especially after watching a game where Raph was supposed to singlehandedly have cause every error and scoring opportunity for the opposition - and seeing something that didn't resemble any of what was written.
Good post. A couple of points.

I am not a fan of the Clarkes. I have tried really hard to have an open mind about them this year though. My problem with them is, they have been at St Kilda a long time and have not delivered. I can't believe how many chances they have been given. Raph to me, is a slow decision maker, I would prefer him on the forward line, where his mistakes don't cost us goals. All players make mistakes, I have no problem with that, he just seems to make more. He knows he had a bad game as he apologised for his terrible game at the post match function. As for X, I think he is to much of a "nice guy", not hard enough. Couldn't remember the last time he was amongst our best players. And both are very injury prone. No agenda's and if they come good great.

As for the game last week. I was disappointed. Living in Qld, one game a year and it was far from exciting footy. CJ also said at post match function that it was not a pretty game to watch and he was right. The Saints have been playing so well this year that expectations are higher and I think thats a good thing. Aside from Raph's game, I thought Gram and Schinder had shockers.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Milton66
SS Life Member

A team is the sum total of the 22 individuals.

On any given day, it is rare that you'll have all 22 playing at their peak.

There will be fluctuations of form from idividuals within that team.

So I don't get too fussed if a player has the odd "shocker". Sometimes, they simply get beaten by their opponent on the day.

You'd be lucky to count on one hand the number of AFL players who beat their oponents week in - week out.

Hence my disdain, when I see posts made suggesting you drop players because they had a bad game.

It's almos t like...

Final siren

Jump on forum

Whoever didn't play well - drop them next week.