Not being satisfied with just winning

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Not being satisfied with just winning

There has been a lot of discussion here regarding our win over the Demons last week.
Some here we're happy with just the win, some were critical of it.
I am one who was happy with winning, but not impressed with our effort in winning, which was sloppy and a little uninspiring IMO.
Now not being happy with our performance in winning is a good thing.
Why? well because in the past, we we're just happy with a win, any win was good, but now, well because we have all seen what this team can do and our expectations of them are much higher.
They have to be, because right now we have the highest expectations of this team, the expectation of this being that season we have waited for for so long.
We also know how good we are going to have to be to beat the competitions benchmark Geelong and make no mistake they are still the benchmark.
The only way we will replace them will be to go all the way.
I doubt any of us expected to be in this position, just as I suspect that 2 years ago if you told Geelong supporters that for the next 2 years they would lose 3 games, they wouldn't have believed you, but hoped it was true.
I imagine and hope the players weren't satisfied with last Saturday's performance, yes happy to win, but acknowledging that they weren't at their best.
If so, then those expectations have a better chance of being fulfilled.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintly_safes
Club Player

Can under stand where you are coming from but last week imo was poor as far as work rate & scoreborad pressure go .We should have won by at least 10 + goals.But I am a realist & I'm over the moon as to what the boys have done so far this year & realise they are only human.I hope they can regroup & silence a few of the media that have been salivating for the moment that we lose a game.We havent played anyone ? We have had an armchair ride? We have been lucky? Bottom line is were 10 & zip & I'm a culprit as well but no one expected us to be were we are & I just love it :D

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:27am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

we won by more than 6 goals ffs...with the opposition scoring a measly 4 points after half time.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Melbourne tested us more than any team this year.

For the ENTIRE game (even the last 3 mins) Melbourne made sure we didn't get an easy possession.

Melbourne were great and WILL start winning either this week or next.

All kudos to Melbourne, they never stopped trying.

Even at 3/4 time, there was a chance we'd lose... and not from trying.

KUDOS to Melbourne for testing us like no other team has in 09.

i reckon the dees will knock off the filth this weekend....

ps ...love your avatar aok......it's ...it's.....stinger like..... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:26am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
saintly_safes
Club Player

Hate the filth with a passion but carnt see it happening.Hope I'm wrong :wink:

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I think its a good thing that we just don't have an expectation of winning but how we win. Shows we now have a winning attitude, something I have never experienced since following St Kilda.

Last weeks win did leave me feeling flat. And I can tell you from what was said at the post match function the players felt the same way.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I liked the way we lifted a cog when we needed to in the third quarter (Riewoldt especially) Kept them at arms length once we had the game in control. In years gone by it would have turned into a real battle similar to the many games we played at Tassie. Many Freo and port games come to mind in this respect. The team appears to have far more confidence in themselves this year - that regardless of the state of the game they can find a way to lift. I reckon we did it against the swans in Rd 1, the lions game and last week as well. We're not going to win by 70 points every week, but as long as they show a bit of a grunt and effort I'm happy. Ppl forget 6 goals is still a sizeable margain against ANY team.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Its all very well being 10-0 and turning up most weeks expecting to win and win comfortably. When we are pushed or challenged however, its seriously annoying to hear supporters giving no credit to anything the opposition do and totally lay the blame for the closeness of the scores on St Kilda's percieved ineptitude...or maybe the umpiring lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

reiwoldt has become the BEST player in the comp we should all be stoked he is our captain. the guy kicks 4 goals a game marks sets up goals is a major target is ALWAYS getting involved when needed playing the hardest position and being tagged heavily. He is unbelieveable has gone up a notch this year. have you seen that he has put on 3-5kg of pure muscle??? As good as Ablett right now. Yeah he misses some easy goals but have you seen him miss many hard ones lately???

We are 10-0 we now know the b oys put in a very good pre season. This year we are IN IT. how many years can you say that>?? 3 out of every 10 i would say yeah?? enjoy it. We cant be ON every week the fact that we have been DOWN the last month yet walked away with 16 points and winning comfortably in the end is GREAT and a sign of GREATNESS. Relax and enjoy it and dont forget where we have been or we'll end up sounding like essendon arrogant supporters. We are stkilda we love the underdogs we love seeing a team come up not the kings on top!! dont forget that! GO SAINTERS!!!

Got a feeling we will be on this week and do some serious damage to the poor roos. :D

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Not being satisfied with just winning

3rd generation saint wrote:There has been a lot of discussion here regarding our win over the Demons last week.
Some here we're happy with just the win, some were critical of it.
I am one who was happy with winning, but not impressed with our effort in winning, which was sloppy and a little uninspiring IMO.
Now not being happy with our performance in winning is a good thing.
Why? well because in the past, we we're just happy with a win, any win was good, but now, well because we have all seen what this team can do and our expectations of them are much higher.
They have to be, because right now we have the highest expectations of this team, the expectation of this being that season we have waited for for so long.
We also know how good we are going to have to be to beat the competitions benchmark Geelong and make no mistake they are still the benchmark.
The only way we will replace them will be to go all the way.
I doubt any of us expected to be in this position, just as I suspect that 2 years ago if you told Geelong supporters that for the next 2 years they would lose 3 games, they wouldn't have believed you, but hoped it was true.
I imagine and hope the players weren't satisfied with last Saturday's performance, yes happy to win, but acknowledging that they weren't at their best.
If so, then those expectations have a better chance of being fulfilled.
Good post.

Its always interesting when you get on a roll and how individual perspective changes on winning/losing.....last year I was greatful just to limp past a depleted Port (bogey side) by 8 pts in Melb.....a year on.........times have changed.

Now all recent talk is about how we have slipped last few weeks and when will drop 1. Interesting no such talk for Cats...its very much to me like people are still saying "yeah so what.....10 in a row but its st kilda....they'll screw it up"

So I agree with the sentiment in the OP - we cant be happy to simply win when we know what our best is. Sure, respectful of opposition (and I rate Melbs future...they pushed the Cats for a half) but I prefer to focus on what we are doing well/ not so well cause thats how hopefully we get better.

It will be interesting to see how Lyon can mentally keep this side rolling cause there has to be some fatigue. Just pray it continues.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Melbourne tested us more than any team this year.

For the ENTIRE game (even the last 3 mins) Melbourne made sure we didn't get an easy possession.

Melbourne were great and WILL start winning either this week or next.

All kudos to Melbourne, they never stopped trying.

Even at 3/4 time, there was a chance we'd lose... and not from trying.

KUDOS to Melbourne for testing us like no other team has in 09.
Didnt see the Brisbane game?