Are you a real man??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Skinny

I remember my Dad in 1966.

We listened to the 1966 Grand Final on the radio and when the final siren went he had his head in his hands and was sobbing his eyes out.

I couldn't understand it and i must admit i felt embarrassed, here was a 55 year old man who had fought overseas during WW2 crying over a game of football.

I was eleven years old and I thought that Premierships would be a regular occurrence.

Now as I approach the same age as my Dad was in 1966 I can now understand his emotion and yes I will probably shed my share of tears if we can win our second Flag.

Mark
Club Player

I would certainly bottle up any tears and try to show some self discipline.
I would feel I am weak if I cried in public like that. However I respect others may want to show their emotions in a different way than I.
I remember everyone bagging Roo a couple of years ago when he shed some tears at the footy. It seems if a guy cries he is a sook and if he dos'nt cry he's an unfeeling moron....you just cannot win!
The important thing to remember is we would be the Premiers..nothing else matters.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I think I would cry but only if the game was decided in the last 10 mins. If it a gradual build up to the win and consequently easy win the emotions wont be enough to make me cry.

Milton66
SS Life Member

I remember getting teary when the Scud came back to snatch the DAvis Cup.

Heaven help me if we win a flag.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Very moving stories Skinny and Starsign :wink:

...as for me I won't cry

...I'll just ball my freaking eyes out :shock:

Have been mentally scarred over many years and with Dad[Sir Walter] and Mum[both passionate saints] joining the upstairs saints selection commitee within 4 months of each other this year[haven't lost a game since!!!]It would be very emotional to say the least!!! :(

It has become far too important to me...the thought of it never happening torments me to the bone... :x

I still have to walk away from the T.V and radio when it gets tight...and still feel physically sick before every game

97 absolutely gutted me!!

Just 1 more premiership in my lifetime [6 years old in 66 and just a vague memory]and I would be cured forever. :roll:

Just do it boys...for the resilient and loyal supporters over all those years but most of all to etch your names in history forever...

I am holding on to the dream until its realised or dies with me :?
Last edited by saint patrick on Fri 05 Jun 2009 10:49am, edited 1 time in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
bergsone
SS Life Member

Was there in 66 with my dad,only time I can remember a tear in his eyes,funny thing about it nearly everyone around us was crying too

s*** he lit up our street that night

YES if it happens I will have a tear in my eyes too

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

If we ever won a flag I'd have tears in my eyes from the copious amounts of drugs i'd take afterwards. As i would have reached the pinnacle of my life,therefore the only kicks I'd get would be from taking drugs.
It'll all be tatoo's and rehab for me

Bring back the Lockett era
asiu

It'll all be tatoo's and rehab for me
me too jonesy

and any thing ( female) in red white and black had better watch out ...because it wont be soft

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote: "Yeah Son I just wished my Dad had of lived to see this seen this "
just wish i live to see it!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I've never cried when we have lost a GF, and I was a bit too young to be really that passionate back in 66, but if we won a GF now I reckon their maybe a tear or two

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Will sob like a baby and hug anything in sight..you have been warned 8-)

That rain after the 97 GF let a few of us blokes get away with murder tear-wise :?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
felixleo
Club Player

Tears of joy over a win ,great. Tears over a loss, not so great. Harden up guys and girls.

Are you gonna be the one?
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:30am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
saintly_safes
Club Player

Love the stories of hope & anticipation that have suvived generations.Lets keep it going boys & girls :wink:

Bring back Troy Shwarze!

Obviously Harvs would be happy for the boys and the club but he might be deep in tears too at missing out.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

if on that last day in september....we have made the dance...
either way, come around 4pm ish......i'll be crying, tears of joy or tears of sorrow