Why there's some cynicism...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

More importantly from the players point of view was Kosi's interview after the match, when asked about the streak
"It's good to be a part of it, I suppose, but it doesn't really mean anything come the end of the year,"
"A win is a win. It didn't get us anywhere in 2004."

Great thread all the same

Before Im 85
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:"A win is a win. It didn't get us anywhere in 2004."
It's nice to see the players saying that. I think they're sick of only making Prelims...Yes, it's good, but what do you get for it? Nothing.

Imagine if Nick Riewoldt leaves the game without a premiership. He'd be devastated.

I reckon he'd be looking at Robert Harvey and thinking "I want to emulate what he's done as an individual but achieve so much more in the collective."

I'm not sure about you guys, but the one that really hurt for me was the 2005 loss to Sydney. I thought 2004 had prepared us well and the cards had absolutely fallen for us with the win over Adelaide and Geelong falling out.

I remember thinking we weren't playing well but that they weren't capable; we'd already dispatched them on the same ground in the finals 12 months before and easily had their measure during the regular season. Then Adam Schneider decided to rip us, a bit like Darren Jarman...

Walking around Richmond Station after the game, I was furious. After losing to Port in 2004, I was shattered - but proud. Not this time. And not since. We've won just one final since then. It's simply not good enough.

This side looks as though it's a screw-turner. I like that. We absorb pressure and then apply it.

If we can apply those principles in September, we've got a real shout. We can't get sprung in the headlights.

Betwen now and the last day of the season, if we get there, we've got to crave the contest. That's what will hold us in the right stead for the month that matters.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
saintsrus wrote:"A win is a win. It didn't get us anywhere in 2004."
It's nice to see the players saying that. I think they're sick of only making Prelims...Yes, it's good, but what do you get for it? Nothing.

Imagine if Nick Riewoldt leaves the game without a premiership. He'd be devastated.

I reckon he'd be looking at Robert Harvey and thinking "I want to emulate what he's done as an individual but achieve so much more in the collective."

I'm not sure about you guys, but the one that really hurt for me was the 2005 loss to Sydney. I thought 2004 had prepared us well and the cards had absolutely fallen for us with the win over Adelaide and Geelong falling out.

I remember thinking we weren't playing well but that they weren't capable; we'd already dispatched them on the same ground in the finals 12 months before and easily had their measure during the regular season. Then Adam Schneider decided to rip us, a bit like Darren Jarman...

Walking around Richmond Station after the game, I was furious. After losing to Port in 2004, I was shattered - but proud. Not this time. And not since. We've won just one final since then. It's simply not good enough.

This side looks as though it's a screw-turner. I like that. We absorb pressure and then apply it.

If we can apply those principles in September, we've got a real shout. We can't get sprung in the headlights.

Betwen now and the last day of the season, if we get there, we've got to crave the contest. That's what will hold us in the right stead for the month that matters.
100% agree, 2005 really hurt, especially after the Adelaide game set us up so well. Of all the injuries that year, S Fisher hurt us the most, watching the tape back when I got back I remember thinking he was going to be a huge loss.

Shaggy
Club Player

The problem with this thread is the expectation we can deliver this year.

I don't think so.

I think we are 1/4 through the marathon.

We have won 10 games straight. Geelong have done that 4 times in the past 2 and 1/2 years. In my life time the best team ever.

Hopefully after this year's premiership they will fall away and we will be like Port with Brisbane and ready for it in 2010.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Brilliant thread - and I am also more confident ....
but we are waiting to meet BOTH GF teams from last year yet, aren't we ? and they were both very much ahead of the pack - we need to KNOW we can match it with them.
But this team and this year is the very best I have seen too :)
Everything is landing well - so now for the next steps - Carlton, Geelong and Hawthorn ....

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

+1 for this...

in 2004 when the siren went I was dissapointed but so proud of my team. I was convinced that they'd given 110% and if the game had gone another couple of mins could have pinched it back. We were in good hands, maybe a year ahead of where we shold have been and a dynasty was about to unfold.

Flash forward a year..I was shattered. THAT was the year I thought we were gonna do it. The heroic win over Adelaide was gonna be the spur, nothing would stop us getting Harvs that flag. Nothing except a swag of injuries and Sydneys small blokes. maybe it was a blessing..I think WCE would have smashed us in the GF cos of the depleted side we'd have fielded. Still dint stop me feeling like total shyte tho.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote: I'm not sure about you guys, but the one that really hurt for me was the 2005 loss to Sydney. I thought 2004 had prepared us well and the cards had absolutely fallen for us with the win over Adelaide and Geelong falling out.
2005, and strange as it may sound, 2006. I had the feeling throughout 2006 that the only thing in our way was getting and keeping our best team on the park. In retrospect, the way we bowed out against Melbourne was a microcosm of the season itself.

It's ended up shaping my view on injuries and a healthy list. As I keep saying to a mate of mine who barracks for Hawthorn: injuries aren't an excuse, but they'll keep you from achieving, all the same. They're not an excuse because history doesn't remember teams that bowed out without even making the big dance, let alone the reasons why. It remembers players overcoming injury along the way to victory - Hodge, Black, Lappin... but certainly doesn't remember the players cut down by the also rans.

One of the things that's interesting right now is that the two top teams are the ones who were the favorites during what became the years of West Coast and Sydney... Geelong and St Kilda had built and appeared poised as the Port and Brisbane juggernauts fell off... those two up and comers both had to experience some setbacks and build their depth to a point which eclipses the competition... there are 2 teams in the comp a #1 draft pick can't bank on being blooded in year 1 unless they're Joel Selwood, is it a co-incidence those 2 are up the top?

What I really want is for H&A to end today. We're playing well ahead of the general standard... but the question remains, will we be content if we again fall short, even if it is once again the eventual premier that knocks us off? I should be enjoying 11-0 more...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
starsign
Club Player

Yep excellent thread, well done Everton!
Started creatively sculptured out of BO's quote, and great spins by Teflon & Joffa!
Good thread all round.

This post really says what I am thinking about this year.

it probably goes a long way toward explaining my frustration with the ad nauseum threads about how name player had to be in the team as walk up starts even though the team hasn't lost a game.
It is the attitude and philosophy of Lyon that many haven't cottoned on to in this regard.

As Teflon says 11-0 with Zac - Jimmy - Mini - Geary and Blake in the team at seasons beginning was unthinkable.

It is the fact that these type of players are the backbone of the team and the reason we have a steely resolve.

It frustrates me that the old attitudes of supporters - the messiah worshippers - are still about. This is not the St.Kilda of yesteryear where all we had to appreciate were individuals in a crap team. Now we have a TEAM to celebrate not just a few top notchers.
this is the crux of it Joffa!
and full credit to RL for making that old footy adage come to life at Sainterland
" a champion team will always beat a team of champions"

we may have all heard it before ad nausium , but this is the first time over a long time for me that I actually believe its being put fully into practice throughout the club...notwithstanding '66!

But don't fret Joffa .... not all supporters unfortunately will ever become enlightened, thats just part of the broad tapestry of life M8....
they never will...as long as ...you know ....

as the fullback told Jacko prior to him doing a hand stand in the goalsquare at Moorabbin...... you'll never be any good as long as your A#se points to the ground !

saint64
Club Player

Best thread
I've ever read...

santazzi
Club Player

Great thread....

My quiet and complete confidence in our team is derived from this:

For quite some now both coaches and players have been consistently putting forward three concepts that are responsible for their outstanding performances

1. Preparation
2. Effort
3. Roles (understanding and playing them)

First I was unsure. Now I believe that there is nothing left to chance in preparation, they give 100% effort on field and they seem to understand their roles. So I am confident they will prevail evn when they are fiercely challenged and they are down. What a good feeling it is to watch a game without your heart racing at a million beats a minute.........The saints have become a cardiac frienly team to us oldies........ Who can beat this level of dedication!!!!

aussiejones
Club Player

The difference this year is that its a team effort. Less predictable as a result.
There seems more confidence in the lesser lights and they are standing up to be counted. Because they can be relied upon to a greater extent then Plan B or Plan C becomes an option.

Our run with injuries cannot be forgotten either.

Clever recruiting has been a real bonus too.