Max v Fev

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintHomer
Club Player

Max v Fev

I have to admit, I'm a little nervous on this one.

I believe a huge part of our recent success against the Blues has been because of this matchup where Max has basically shut him down (apart from that comical matchup of Fev on G-Train).

Max is a crucial part of our side, and our success, but even the most one-eyed would agree he has to be underdone.

Thoughts?

Batnoe

Fevola on Fevola

he will be so full of himself he wont need anyone on him, he will wreck it himself

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Max v Fev

i'd say max will get first crack given his previous dominance. but zac is a handy one to swing in there if it goes wrong.

reincarnated

Max with a few games under his belt could and should take an on or off fev however he is only a game back despite playing in the vfl

Massive underestimating in the carlton forward line here with both Fev and Betts - who both can be very hot and cold. If both are hot we will have to grind out a win and find ways to block Fev's leading supply. Sam Gilbert will be a good in if fit as he has the pace and ability to go with Betts as Baker unfortunately does not look too good currently

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:Sam Gilbert will be a good in if fit as he has the pace and ability to go with Betts as Baker unfortunately does not look too good currently
i'd rather gilbert giving us run off half back as he usually does than looking down around his ankles trying to stop a dangerous small forward. it's an important match up that we'll need to get right.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm...I'm a bit nervous about this one too. Max, given reasonable form, should wrap up Fev. However, he is (as stated above) underdone, with only one match under his belt. Stopping supply from all of the 'fab four' is near impossible...we will need a stopper to negate the big fella.

Best difference is that our 'fab four' are just as impossible to stop, our forward line has two Fev's (Roo and Kosi), two Betts' (Yapper - hopefully -and Schnieds) and a much less potent backline to contend with. I hope we have our backline balance sorted, otherwise it'll be a major shoot out...given our recent lack of accuracy up front, not what we want to get into.

Milton66
SS Life Member

They gotta get it inside 50 first. :twisted:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Zac will get first crack imo...

Everyone is expecting Max to get the gig... Zac is more likely this year going on form, and he has earnt first shot at him...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Dawson will get him

claystreet
Club Player

agree i think he will get the Zac Attack 1st

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

It won't be Zac, it's either Max or Sam Fisher. But as a previous poster said, if his supply is restricted or made more difficult then the defender can look forward to an easier night, with just the occasional one on one contest. But if he is being hit on the chest with perfect passes, then short of calling up the Cowboy tactic, the defender will be in real trouble.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Fev is Maxies Bitch.

Even Fev says that himself.

whoever is on him, is gonna have three blokes helping out anyway...the blues just go to Fev that often....

pfft.

Bitch.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I'd back in Max to get first crack and persist with him. Fev is in form at the moment, but it was only a few short weeks ago where he looked useless as well, so it depends what fev turns up.

Max will no doubt be better for the run around last week though.

Carpe Diem
claystreet
Club Player

I am a big fan of Max and i hope to see him rip fev a new one but i still think hes short of a run. I am sure Zac will get a crack at Fev hes been in the backline and taken on some gorillas and won the battles.

Either way i just want us to smash the scum

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

If Max is fit (and he should be by now) I'd give him first shot at Fev. Max seems to have the better closing speed than Zac and since Fev is more of a leading player, than a pack mark player, I believe that Max is the better choice.

Zac is probably the better choice for the resting Ruckman as he is nearly as tall as them, but a lot more agile than they are. I hope he gets to see at close range how Max plays on Fev.

Gilbert, with his speed and aerial ability is yet another choice if more options are required.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Dawson will get him
Yep, Smokey is a fantastic defender and will make Fev earn every one of his possessions.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

OUr backline has been superb this year - everyone has been helping everyone out. I believe that Zac's confidence has grown b/c of this.

On Fev, I expect our stifling backline will create frustration for Fev, where he'll eventually lose it and spit it. The key to Fev is his starts. Starts well, usually has a good game. Starts bad and often his night is over.

Max has to have 1st go given his recent history, but it's comforting to have so many options with Zac, Fish and even Gilbert.

claystreet
Club Player

I am sure everywhere Fev turns there will be a nasty backman just waiting to upset his concntration and his night.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

choices choices and more choices

this will be the theme for the rest of the year.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
HarveysDeciple

Max with first crack at it. Zac second in line.

Sam Gilbert is one of the best in the comp at leaving his man and flying accross the front of a contest to mark.

His fitness is vital, can frustrate Fev by cutting off his leads.

reincarnated

Zac needs assistance if he is going to take Fev and beat him

I thought that here were instances of Zac looking under the pump against Aaron Edwards over the weekend and if these continue Fev could dine on Zac's swine

His position in one on one's at times leaves a little to be desired, however in packs he is a super spoiler

So if Zac is to get Fev expect another tallish defender to really push back hard into Fev's space in order to block his run, the extra contact seems to benefit Zac

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I think that Zac will get first crack at Fev. Have Max & Chips chop out across the front of him.

80% of their forward entries go to Fevola. Take him out of the equation and it is game over.

Max can go to B Fisher, Baker to Betts and S Fisher to O'hailpin....ie, he will be the loose man!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saintkid
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Dawson will get him
i agree i think dawson will be on fevola he has been preety good this year and i think he will be able to handle him but if he can't there is still max for backup who has done an excellent job on fev in the previous years

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Fev's most dangerous weapon isn't his size, it's his acceleration on the lead. A fit max is as good a closer on a leading forward as you'll find.

Given it's 2nd game back for Max, support in front of the lead will be critical, and this will be the domain of Fisher, Dawson, Gilbo (if playing) and all of the defense.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Hopefully it won't matter as the ball will be up the other end for most of the night. Hopefully our guys will really come to play this week, like in most matches early in the year. We haven't seen it for anywhere near a whole game since we played Collingwood. It would be great to see it for four quarters this week.
As for the main topic, I'd be happy for either Zac or Max to get first crack. It would probably be great for Zac's confidence to be given first shot at him and he hasn't let us down all year. Max could park himself 10m in front, unless Gilbert does it. Either way, Fev could be in for a tough night at the office.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.