Umpiring today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

|Andy|
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:
Moccha wrote:
saintbrat wrote:play on to advantage in saints forward 50- except there was NO advantage.........................
The wistle was blown so the ball had to come back
That was a different incident. Montagna running in to kick an easy goal when it was a free to Kosi. I thought that was a good call. Two North Melbourne players stopped when the whistle blew. And you can still call advantage after the whistle blows, they do it all the time. That's why the rule is rubbish.

Saintbrat was talking about another incident where we had a free 30m out in front of goal and the umpire called play on despite the Saint with the ball (Jones?) being surrounded by the opposition.
No, i think the Jones playon was valid.. He had a straight run in for goal... pity one of the North players (simpson) actually had the courage and desperation to smother the kick when he was down on the ground already.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

|Andy| wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:
Moccha wrote:
saintbrat wrote:play on to advantage in saints forward 50- except there was NO advantage.........................
That was a different incident. Montagna running in to kick an easy goal when it was a free to Kosi. I thought that was a good call. Two North Melbourne players stopped when the whistle blew. And you can still call advantage after the whistle blows, they do it all the time. That's why the rule is rubbish.

Saintbrat was talking about another incident where we had a free 30m out in front of goal and the umpire called play on despite the Saint with the ball (Jones?) being surrounded by the opposition.
No, i think the Jones playon was valid.. He had a straight run in for goal... pity one of the North players (simpson) actually had the courage and desperation to smother the kick when he was down on the ground already.
That was a differnet incident.
The one Saintbrat is talking about is when the ball went forward to Jones who was about to have a shot at goal but a North defender came acroos him from his left hand side which caused him to kick the ball to the right for a behind.

I've seen plenty of times that the umpires(s) in a similar situation have cancelled the 'play-on call' and brought the footy back for the original free.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

FWIW, I thaught the umpiring was an absolute disgrace. 50 against Lenny and the holding the ball against Farren Ray the worst calls on the day.

Very hot on us for holding the ball and a push at a ball up but all of a sudden cold when the boot was on the other foot.

At least it didnt cost us the game but the umpires need to pull their finger out in a major way

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
|Andy| wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:
Moccha wrote:

The one Saintbrat is talking about is when the ball went forward to Jones who was about to have a shot at goal but a North defender came acroos him from his left hand side which caused him to kick the ball to the right for a behind.

I've seen plenty of times that the umpires(s) in a similar situation have cancelled the 'play-on call' and brought the footy back for the original free.
I think Jones went to far to call it back.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Umpiring was truly shocking yesterday.

Inconsistant and really poor intrepretations.

The Ray decision was inexcusable.

The bouncing was terrible.

Holding the ball seemed to be policed only half the time.

I dont hold anything re free kick counts - nobody complained when we got them 30-10 against Adelaide - Nth probably deserved to be ahead because they were outplaying us in qtr 1.

It is the inconsistancy that cruels a game. Why has the fifty metre rule for late contact in a marking contest been relaxed? Why has the holding and scragging of a player in a marking contest been relaxed?

Why can a player be roated 720 degrees and still not go for holding the ball?

I lkie the way the umpires have actually let the play continue in packs over the past month - leads to some nice hard in and under contests - however the relaxing of rules that they were so hot on early in the year leads questions to be asked by of Geishsen.

But of course if you ask questions you will be punished in some way.

Just ask Grant Thomas - he lost his job because he questioned the umpires. Not once but twice Thomas lost his job because of the AFL.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintDebi
Club Player

|Andy| wrote:i counted 4 bounces that had to be called back....
Only four????

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Umpiring was truly shocking yesterday...

But of course if you ask questions you will be punished in some way.

Just ask Grant Thomas - he lost his job because he questioned the umpires. Not once but twice Thomas lost his job because of the AFL.
quite true...interesting comments by voss on the carlton game

"Looking agitated at being on the receiving end of a 16-8 free kick count, Voss bit his tongue when quizzed on the officiating.

Carlton’s eight-goal hero Brendan Fevola converted twice in the second half from free kicks, while at the other end of the ground Lions captain Jonathan Brown seemed to go unrewarded numerous times despite having legitimate claims.

"This is where it comes back to your parenting when your mum says, 'If you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all' and I fall into that category right now," Voss said.

"For me ... I know it’s pretty glaring, pretty obvious, people make their own opinions of it [and] obviously I’ve got to make sure I respect the system and go through the right channels."

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

The AFL should revert to the old way if a bounce is offline and call play on. Just let the play go. At the moment I think they are recalling their bounces for the sake of it.

On advantage, the its only if the umpire deems their to be advantage. Sometimes inside 50, you'll set the mark and not allow advantage. Around the ground, the umpire does not set the mark so it doesn't matter and the play can go on. If advantage is called, it can be called back should it become apparent that the advantage was of no benefit to the team.

I just try to pay what I see. In my league, we are told to let the kids play football. I'm not sure what direction the AFL umpires are under, but perhaps they are trying to let the players play football and relaxing the rules a bit to make the game more entertaining. I don't know that for sure.

I make mistakes. We are also told to protect the players heads, well.... gotta remember which team is which! Last week I paid a free kick to player who got hit high by a teammate...... well, maybe the two teams shouldn't wear the same colours! And I was protecting the head!

Too lazy to update my username
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Saints-06-Premiers wrote:The AFL should revert to the old way if a bounce is offline and call play on. Just let the play go. At the moment I think they are recalling their bounces for the sake of it. ...
If the ball goes outside the big circle it is recalled. Simple.

That fact that so many umpires seem to have lost the art of bouncing all at once is odd. Mark James, the best bouncer ever and 3 GFs, was dropped from the panel a couple of years ago because some moron club (not us) complained (with the help of a certain media personality) that he was bouncing the ball TOO high. Now, he too seems to have lost the art altogether. Anyway, it will be gone for good at the end of this year. Like the drop kick, like the high mark and like the torp. That's progress. Next we will have a kick off and the boundary throw in will disappear with last to touch given a free against and the nasty curved boundaries will be straightened and goals only will count, and....what did I say about Billy Slater (irony is lost on some Saintsational members)?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The "you cant tackle a player or run over the mark til the ump has called play on" is a very grey rule. The player guarding the mark has to rely on the reflexes of the umpire to yell before he moves. Sheesh by then the player could be 20m away and gone.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
|Andy| wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:
Moccha wrote:

There would not be too many umpires on the panel that would have called advantage on a free kick inside 50 to a player near the boundary line.

The call was wrong, simple.

The Ray one also was wrong as the ball was knocked out in the tackle pretty much straight after he took possession.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Fair dinkum. What a load of bloody whingers. Some weeks you're on the right end of the stick, some weeks the wrong end. Get over it. Umpires are human and make mistakes just like players and armchair experts have been pointing them out for ever. And no doubt they always will.
....And the conspiracy crap is just absolute bollocks.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Fair dinkum. What a load of bloody whingers. Some weeks you're on the right end of the stick, some weeks the wrong end. Get over it. Umpires are human and make mistakes just like players and armchair experts have been pointing them out for ever. And no doubt they always will.
....And the conspiracy crap is just absolute bollocks.
Agree on the conspiracy crap, the rest I suggest you don't read it if you don't like it.

I understand that umps make mistakes, its just when they guess, make technically incorrect decisions or lack the courage to make a tough decision that I get annoyed.

The CJ decision was technically incorrect and the Ray one was a guess.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: Agree on the conspiracy crap, the rest I suggest you don't read it if you don't like it.

I understand that umps make mistakes, its just when they guess, make technically incorrect decisions or lack the courage to make a tough decision that I get annoyed.

The CJ decision was technically incorrect and the Ray one was a guess.
Maverick, I also get annoyed when I think the Saints have been robbed or the umpires over umpire the game. But every week I watch players spit the dummy in protest and supporters throw their arms about and yell abuse. Haven't yet seen an umpire change his decision because of it. Umpiring mistakes are a fact of the game, just like missed shots for goal and dropped marks. It all evens out in the end. I didn't see any threads bleating about the umpires when the count was 30-11 in our favour vs Adelaide in Adelaide.
I also read pretty often that the umpiring on a particular weekend was the 'worst ever'. It must be getting progressively worse.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I dont take any notice of the umpires...i sat in front of 2 wankers that were complaining about every decision the umps made...by 3 quarter time i'd had enough...i went down to level 1 and sat behind the goals that the Saints were kicking to....

It was enjoyable watching the North supporters leaving well before the end..

I wonder if North supporters think Laidley is a wanker...talk about clutching at straws.....someone should tell him North are crap.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
ace
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Umpires are human .
Are you sure?
I always thought maggots were a type of grub. :wink: :wink: :wink:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
|Andy| wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:
Moccha wrote:

There would not be too many umpires on the panel that would have called advantage on a free kick inside 50 to a player near the boundary line.

The Ray one also was wrong as the ball was knocked out in the tackle pretty much straight after he took possession.
The Ray tackle was clearly incorrect but the play on decision was correct. Jones was in a much better position than the person who got the free but to long to kick it. Mistakes are made all the time but it is all swings and roundabouts. We had a bad week this week but I think this year we would be ahead all up.

SaintDebi
Club Player

[quote="st.byron"] Umpires are human quote]

Thanks for the reinforcement, st.byron. I'm just trying to get my head around that concept as my youngest daughter has just started dating a boy who umpires in the local league!
Seems to be a really nice kid apart from that.......

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:
st.byron wrote: Umpires are human quote]

Thanks for the reinforcement, st.byron. I'm just trying to get my head around that concept as my youngest daughter has just started dating a boy who umpires in the local league!
Seems to be a really nice kid apart from that.......
Jump in now and stop it before it's too late!!!!!!! :)

Solar
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:The "you cant tackle a player or run over the mark til the ump has called play on" is a very grey rule. The player guarding the mark has to rely on the reflexes of the umpire to yell before he moves. Sheesh by then the player could be 20m away and gone.
you really expect the umpire not to use common sense and see that. Thus bringing back both players and reminding the man on the mark.

still find it strange when compared to the baker play on....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Duggie
Club Player

As I see it (and that's only on TV) the empahasis seems to be shifting almost every week. What has happened to the push in the back rule. We see players crunched to the ground and only a ball-up follows. Yet a couple of hands in the back on a leading forward can bring a free.
Dropping/holding the ball is now a joke. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

How hard is it for the player on the mark to wait for the play on call before running over? They know where the mark is, the umpire tells them so they should know to wait before running over it. Simple.

The thing about recalling bounces that I don't like is that the players will all run in and then have to all run back out - it wastes time. It wasn't that big a problem until they brought in this rule to recall the bounce.

You guys must remember that there is no law against dropping the ball. It's either play on (knocked out in the tackle) or holding the ball depending on whether there was prior and an attempt was made to get rid of it. Incorrect disposal, on the other hand (same signal as holding the ball) may be paid for simply 'dropping' the ball, but paid as holding the ball, thats why people confuse the two.

Umpires aren't that bad, theres more of social party culture amongst the umpires association than the footy clubs I played for.....

Too lazy to update my username
Superboot
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:The "you cant tackle a player or run over the mark til the ump has called play on" is a very grey rule. The player guarding the mark has to rely on the reflexes of the umpire to yell before he moves. Sheesh by then the player could be 20m away and gone.
Happened to Fraser Gehrig in Tassie against Freo. Freo defender ran off into the back pocket. Umpire still hadn't called play on after 2 or 3 seconds. Fraser ran after him and was penalised 50 metres.

The major problem with footy is that most of the time when a new rule comes in there is an increase in the number of decisions that are made based on an interpretation by the umpire (about intent, for example). Deliberate out-of-bounds is a classic. They are mind readers, apparently.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
|Andy| wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:
Moccha wrote:

The Ray tackle was clearly incorrect but the play on decision was correct. Jones was in a much better position than the person who got the free but to long to kick it. Mistakes are made all the time but it is all swings and roundabouts. We had a bad week this week but I think this year we would be ahead all up.
Yeah probably agree we are up for the year, the Adelaide game still sticks in my mind.