Riewoldt - king of the forwards

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Riewoldt - king of the forwards

Good article in the Age about Riewoldt

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/ri ... 87099.html
Yet, at this moment, Nick Riewoldt is the best forward in the game. He has been among the best handful of players in the competition since the middle of last year, when he picked up the Saints and carried them from outside the eight to a preliminary final.
also the mid -season review has us finishing on top.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/mi ... 87729.html

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Quite astute.....finally!

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Sorry but I found this to be a grudging article, not very generous to (a) Riewoldt: "He has been among the best handful of players in the competition since the middle of last year..." Surely he's been among the best players in the AFL for many years now and (b) to the team as a whole: "He also happens to be the only weapon that St Kilda possesses — a champion key forward..." If, as a team, we only have ONE weapon, then the idea that we could challenge for the flag is ludicrous and thus undermines one of the premises of the article, namely, that we are a legitimate chance to win the big one in September.

Carna Saints!!!
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

What he said is that Roo is the one weapon we have that Geelong don't; a champion key forward.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:What he said is that Roo is the one weapon we have that Geelong don't; a champion key forward.
Yep. In fact we have two of them, Nick and Kosi. Whilst they are up and about we are a good show for the flag (now that our back six have become the best in the business). Our mids have always had the talent to match it with Geelong. Geelong are well coached so tactics will play a vital role too. Fortunately, we have the equal best coach in the AFL.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:Sorry but I found this to be a grudging article, not very generous to (a) Riewoldt: "He has been among the best handful of players in the competition since the middle of last year..." Surely he's been among the best players in the AFL for many years now and (b) to the team as a whole: "He also happens to be the only weapon that St Kilda possesses — a champion key forward..." If, as a team, we only have ONE weapon, then the idea that we could challenge for the flag is ludicrous and thus undermines one of the premises of the article, namely, that we are a legitimate chance to win the big one in September.
nah, you're reading it wrong. it's a very fair and balanced article, even without knowing that jake niall is a saints supporter.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
SteveStevens66 wrote:Sorry but I found this to be a grudging article, not very generous to (a) Riewoldt: "He has been among the best handful of players in the competition since the middle of last year..." Surely he's been among the best players in the AFL for many years now and (b) to the team as a whole: "He also happens to be the only weapon that St Kilda possesses — a champion key forward..." If, as a team, we only have ONE weapon, then the idea that we could challenge for the flag is ludicrous and thus undermines one of the premises of the article, namely, that we are a legitimate chance to win the big one in September.
nah, you're reading it wrong. it's a very fair and balanced article, even without knowing that jake niall is a saints supporter.
Niall is a collingwood supporter.

Look again it's the Flash!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote:nah, you're reading it wrong. it's a very fair and balanced article, even without knowing that jake niall is a saints supporter.
Niall is a collingwood supporter.[/quote]

really? man, i've had him wrong for years.

still, good article, i think.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Rooey won the players MVP award in 2004 - an award that most in the industry regard higher than the brownlow. Only thing I could find fault with in his article (not that I was looking) 05 he dropped off slightly b/c of injury. Due to the one glaring fault in Rooey's game (his goal kicking) ppl have analysed him at a lesser level than some other elite fwds. Ironically he kicks over 50 goals almost every year from CHF.

I reckon most of us won't realise how good Riewoldt is until he's gone. Best stkilda player since I've been watching them (1997)