Ben McEvoy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

While in the short term King being suspended is bad for the Saints..in the long -term I think it will be good for us as it means that Ben will geta decent run in the seniors.

This should boost him as a player....maybe not so much this year...but ceratianly for future years as he will gaina clear perspective of where he needs to improve at AFL level.

For 2009 it may prove to be very valuable too if King or Gardo go down come finals time.

I will feela lot happer bringin g in Ben after having had a solid midseason run.

Alternatively if Ben is deemed as not being quite up to it yet after these games, this too will be valuable to know so that if required another back-up ruck plan can be delpoyed instead.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:While in the short term King being suspended is bad for the Saints..in the long -term I think it will be good for us as it means that Ben will geta decent run in the seniors.

This should boost him as a player....maybe not so much this year...but ceratianly for future years as he will gaina clear perspective of where he needs to improve at AFL level.

For 2009 it may prove to be very valuable too if King or Gardo go down come finals time.
I will feela lot happer bringin g in Ben after having had a solid midseason run.

Alternatively if Ben is deemed as not being quite up to it yet after these games, this too will be valuable to know so that if required another back-up ruck plan can be delpoyed instead.
the last thing we would want is like in 1997 where both the rucks went down and we only had Cook i believe? That sure did not help.

So far he has not played too badly. it would have hlped if he was able to mark at least one of the potential marks he had when he was in the forward line. Although he was teamed 2-3 against 1.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintly wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:While in the short term King being suspended is bad for the Saints..in the long -term I think it will be good for us as it means that Ben will geta decent run in the seniors.

the last thing we would want is like in 1997 where both the rucks went down and we only had Cook i believe? That sure did not help.

So far he has not played too badly. it would have hlped if he was able to mark at least one of the potential marks he had when he was in the forward line. Although he was teamed 2-3 against 1.
While sRr can of course speak for himself, I believe the intended idea was that were the unfortunate to occur and King or Gardiner go down during finals, it would be better mitigated due the the run McEvoy will get now. This may well be one of those sutuations our dear mr.s Shaw & Blight loves to point to as proof that injuries are "good for footy"... ;)

I'd be very surprised if sRr were to hope for a finals time injury to our rucks - he's certainly been a vocal proponent of them.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure he'll bump the relevant threads from the past 8-)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
saintly wrote:

While sRr can of course speak for himself, I believe the intended idea was that were the unfortunate to occur and King or Gardiner go down during finals, it would be better mitigated due the the run McEvoy will get now. This may well be one of those sutuations our dear mr.s Shaw & Blight loves to point to as proof that injuries are "good for footy"... ;)

I'd be very surprised if sRr were to hope for a finals time injury to our rucks - he's certainly been a vocal proponent of them.

Ah..the joys of the English language...
:wink:

Yes you have my intent correct....though I think that saintly was replying to my intent correctly..and just highlighted that sentence to comment on the scenario...including 97 when our rucks did go down and the the back up was a major drop off.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
saintly wrote:

Ah..the joys of the English language...
:wink:

Yes you have my intent correct....though I think that saintly was replying to my intent correctly..and just highlighted that sentence to comment on the scenario...including 97 when our rucks did go down and the the back up was a major drop off.
yes, that was my intent.

James
Club Player

Qualifying final - King tears hamstring - Season

Peliminary Final - Gardiner busts his foot - Season

Stanley plays a heroic first game grand final, winning the Norm Smith medal, leading us to a flag.

:lol:

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy better pull his finger out in the few weeks as he was ordinary against Nth Melbourne

Another opportunity awaits!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:McEvoy better pull his finger out in the few weeks as he was ordinary against Nth Melbourne
i think he was as good as king

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Moccha wrote:McEvoy better pull his finger out in the few weeks as he was ordinary against Nth Melbourne
Or as ineffective.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintly wrote:
Or as ineffective.
Touche!

Another opportunity awaits!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx

interesting lyon, says that mcevoy is not guarrented a game for the next 4 weeks only for this week.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

[quote]“Ben’s not guaranteed anything. He’ll get a run this week and if he holds his end up he’ll get another one. It is up to him to perform, otherwise we will look at other optionsâ€

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:whilst I'm not undervaluing King's importance to the team and identify him as the clear cut #2 ruck in this team atm, i take a little comfort from the idea that McEvoy is going to get 5 games in a row.
That 5 games is not given under Lyon as he stated:

"Ben’s not guaranteed anything. He’ll get a run this week and if he holds his end up he’ll get another one. It is up to him to perform, otherwise we will look at other options,â€

“Yeah….nah””