Team against Richmond

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rexy
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
CaptainReiwoldt wrote:whats it gonna take for BLAKE to be dropped?? Losing a game completely off his own bad decisions???

He scored 2 or 3 goals for carlton nearly killed us. Too slow WITH the ball, sure he is fast withiut it but with it OMG.

OUT: Blake, Geary
IN: Maguire, Gwilt
What's it gonna take for some posters to regard Blake as a first 22 regular?Has played every game in the back six of one of the most miserly defences in the history of the game.
Some people are never happy with what they've got. Does there have to be a whipping boy every week.
I dont beleive he is playing well enough to keep his spot, O Hailphan is not a good footballer and IMO beat Blake on Friday night , other times this year we have played him on smaller opp I presume because we do not have the confidence that he can beat genuine key forwards. He gives away to many free kicks and his disposals are sometimes poor which makes me nervous every time he gets the ball.

Some people post what they think will/should happen in response to the OP, others like to wait for other people to have an opinion and then tell them its wrong and trot out lines like whipping boy, 12-0 yada yada yada.

If you were to post a response that said I beleive Blake will stay in the side as he exhibits football ability A. B. and C. and contributes X. Y. and Z. to team structure then we could have sensible debate.

Maybe this year?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

out: mcevoy
in: gwilt?

dawson/blake to second ruck.

i thought we were a little top heavy and probably had one tall too many against the blues.

not sure that all of max/blake/dawson can play in the same backline. just leaves us a bit short of run out of defence.

jimmy doesn't kick enough goals, but he does tend to help lock the ball into our forward line. we missed him ... or someone playing that role ... against the blues.

reincarnated

BigMac will stay, there is no point putting unneccessary pressure on MG to ruck more game time due to not having a decent 2nd ruck (and no kosi and blake aren't ruckman)

Development of the big guy etc etc cliche

Reincarnated is not too sure about Blake, the Geelong game will define him Reincarnated thinks, Geelong could play through him and towel him up big time

With Gwilt out who is now our third tall/lead up option??

I would love to see Goose get a run however the coaches known best, surprisingly not Reincarnated

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:BigMac will stay, there is no point putting unneccessary pressure on MG to ruck more game time due to not having a decent 2nd ruck (and no kosi and blake aren't ruckman)
i'd be tempted to give zac a try there. since it would be mac (who will be a player down the track) he'd be replacing i'm not sure that you'd actually lose a lot.

dawson played some of his junior football in the ruck and has the attributes.

tall, good hands, a good leap, uses his body well ... and can drift forward effectively as he showed on friday night. and there is always blake (who has done the job before) for insurance.

imo a tall has to go and i'd prefer it wasn't one of blake, dawson or max.
reincarnated wrote:With Gwilt out who is now our third tall/lead up option
good question. we appear to have done away with that role altogether. goddard would be the best, but i get the feeling he's considered too valuable elsewhere.

goose is more of a key position player (potentially a very good one). probably needs to be someone who is as effective at ground level as he is above his head.

gilbert or goddard would be a good fit, but, as i said, they're probably considered too valuable doing what they are doing.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 15 Jun 2009 3:05pm, edited 2 times in total.

reincarnated

bigcarl wrote:
reincarnated wrote:BigMac will stay, there is no point putting unneccessary pressure on MG to ruck more game time due to not having a decent 2nd ruck (and no kosi and blake aren't ruckman)
i'd be tempted to give zac a try there. since it would be mac (who will be a player down the track) he'd be replacing i'm not sure that you'd actually lose a lot.

tall, good hands, a good leap, uses his body well ... and can drift forward effectively as he showed on friday night. and there is always blake (who has done the job before) for insurance.

good question. we appear to have done away with that role altogether. goddard would be the best, but i get the feeling he's considered too valuable elsewhere.

goose is more of a key position player (potentially a very good one).
Zac Dawson will not be rucking, no offence but that was the last idea i expected to see on my screen

As you said a tall might have to go and out of the three there it obviously is Blake

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Q: Who's the most junior tall in the team and the one who contributed least on Friday?

A: McEvoy.

big call to drop blake. i'd be surprised to see it, but stranger things have happened i guess.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

goose is more of a key position player (potentially a very good one).
Zac Dawson will not be rucking, no offence but that was the last idea i expected to see on my screen

As you said a tall might have to go and out of the three there it obviously is Blake
Obviously? What...obviously the most flexible one? I doubt it.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:As you said a tall might have to go and out of the three there it obviously is Blake
i guess so.

we really do need more run, so obviously some sort of tall has to be dropped. our options are, in alphabetical order:

blake
dawson
hudghton
mcevoy

the rest are too ensconced. i'd suggest that the more experienced players are likely to be more safe from the chop, so that means that both dawson and mcevoy would be under a lot of pressure in the next three weeks. i think all would be stiff to lose their spot, but structure demands it.

as for the ins, that's completely dependent on performances for sandy next week, i reckon. most likely gwilt back in if he has a good game at the lower level, and i wouldn't be surprised if one of miles and begley came in to play small back.

possibly:

OUT: Dawson, McEvoy
IN: Gwilt, Miles

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
reincarnated wrote:As you said a tall might have to go and out of the three there it obviously is Blake
i guess so.

we really do need more run, so obviously some sort of tall has to be dropped. our options are, in alphabetical order:

blake
dawson
hudghton
mcevoy

the rest are too ensconced. i'd suggest that the more experienced players are likely to be more safe from the chop, so that means that both dawson and mcevoy would be under a lot of pressure in the next three weeks. i think all would be stiff to lose their spot, but structure demands it.

as for the ins, that's completely dependent on performances for sandy next week, i reckon. most likely gwilt back in if he has a good game at the lower level, and i wouldn't be surprised if one of miles and begley came in to play small back.

possibly:

OUT: Dawson, McEvoy
IN: Gwilt, Miles
dawson would be very stiff.

in any case i think we're one tall too many, not two, so let's not go overboard with it.

good talls are one of our great strengths, but, as with all these things, it needs to be the right balance.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dawson isnt going to ruck and isnt going to be dropped. I doubt they will make a change next game but if they do it will Geary out and Kimmy or Armo in if they do well at Sandy next week. We will go with 2 ruckmen for at least one more game.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Dawson isnt going to ruck and isnt going to be dropped. I doubt they will make a change next game but if they do it will Geary out and Kimmy or Armo in if they do well at Sandy next week. We will go with 2 ruckmen for at least one more game.
who is kimmy?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Dawson isnt going to ruck and isnt going to be dropped. I doubt they will make a change next game but if they do it will Geary out and Kimmy or Armo in if they do well at Sandy next week. We will go with 2 ruckmen for at least one more game.
you don't think we lacked a bit of pace in that game, plugger?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
you don't think we lacked a bit of pace in that game, plugger?
A little in the backline but he can only drop Blake from there and there is no way he will be dropped for the next game. As for who is Kimmy well he related to Jimmy.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

How about it if we suspend this discussion until after Sandi plays on the weekend :?: :roll: :wink: !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ross stated in an interview last week that mcevoy would need to deliver to hold his place. I think he will be a player and, at 19, has time on his hands.

but it would not surprise me in the least if he goes with the mobile option ... If not dawson, then blake as second ruck.

The backline looked a little clunky and lacking in run and I think he will want to settle the back six.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
ross stated in an interview last week that mcevoy would need to deliver to hold his place. I think he will be a player and, at 19, has time on his hands.

but it would not surprise me in the least if he goes with the mobile option ... If not dawson, then blake as second ruck.

The backline looked a little clunky and lacking in run and I think he will want to settle the back six.
Big Mac out, small back in...Begley, Howard, Miles? How are those guys travelling? Otherwise, Armo might get a run, or Gwilt back in.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm interested in some of the potential match ups, I think Daniel Jackson has emerged as a very capable player for Richmond.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Thank god none of you blokes are on the coaching panel

If you were our side would never be able to settle

change this change that do this do that get him out bring him in play him the ruck play him up forward whack him down back make him tag 3 guys at once .......

We finally pretty much well get our best side on the park and make some changes that most of you have been screaming out for and most of you still aren't satisfied

tis friggin hilarious

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintHomer
Club Player

how quickly some have turned on geary. has been fanastic this year, and will benefit like the rest for the week off.

too many are quick to jump on the likes of mini and geary. their improvement this year is just one part of the reason behind the saints success (so far).

like others, i'd love to see the likes of armitage, eddy and steven get a run but hopefully this just keeps them hungry.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Thank god none of you blokes are on the coaching panel

change this change that do this do that get him out bring him in play him the ruck play him up forward whack him down back make him tag 3 guys at once .......

We finally pretty much well get our best side on the park and make some changes that most of you have been screaming out for and most of you still aren't satisfied

tis friggin hilarious
My suggestion makes perfect sense...I'll be happy to start with the Saints as soon as they approach me with the suitable salary package.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Thank god none of you blokes are on the coaching panel

tis friggin hilarious
Yes, it would seem that more than half of the posters on here - if they were allowed to select the team - would change an average of 3-5 players per week when we are winning.

When we are losing, they typically start calling for several players - including some who haven't been playing AFL - to be immediately traded/delisted!!

I put it all down to the ever-diminishing attention spans of young people today due to television, the internet, social networking technology like Facebook and Twitter, etc.

I'm with Plugger66: I would see Geary going out and either Gwilt or Armo coming in (preferably Gwilt IMO, but Armo works better on the like for like basis). If there is to be another change, I would go for McEvoy out and Blake into the ruck, Dawson to CHB, and Raph coming in, or perhaps Miles having a chance to play on Nahas.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
older saint
SS Life Member

Warning - if you are not a top 10 player do not have a bad game or your head will be called for!

Geary the victim this week.

Lets just see what happens in the Sandy game next week - Look for McEvoy to play as RL comments after the game put's him on notice and he may toy with the idea of rucking either Maguire or Blake against Richmond with MG if McEvoy doesn't stand up.

Forward line looked 1 marking option out last week.

Armitage has been ok for Sandy but no 2-3 BOG's to demand a spot, Raph needs to perform, Dempster needs game time and the other young blokes wait to grab a chance.

Perhaps MCEvoy could be in trouble, but someone would need to have a blinder or another BOG to get a game.

Look for Gilbert to perhaps go forward next game if Gwilt remains out. Let Fish be 3rd defender and it will allow him to zone off more. He does not seem quick enough below the knees to be a gorward to me.

Milton66
SS Life Member

With Max back, I'd like to see Zac go fwd.

Much as I love Jimmy and want the fairytale to come true, I reckon Zac is the 3rd tall option.

You'd want your 3rd tall to average 1 to 2 goals per week. Jimmy doesn't. But then again, maybe they want some one to help out Roo and Kosi, and let them kick the goals.

That extra tall would have helped Kosi on Friday.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
claystreet
Club Player

Dempster wont play for ages he will be at least 5 weeks in the 2's

Drop Zac? what are you people on who suggest this rubbish.

Blake will stay in the 22 as he always does, servicable backup player for alot of positions

I would be surprised if there were any changes barring injury.

Mac will stay as a backup for Gardy.

time to take a break from footy and smell the roses

8-)

saints65
Club Player

After listening to RL press conference, I think Mc Evoy will be dropped.
If that is the case three options come to mind:

(1) Use Blake as a seocnd ruck and bring in a mid sized player ,
Gwilt, or Armitage possibly
(2) Bring in Stanley
(3) Bring in Maguire as a second ruck.

My preffered option would be one.
If option 2 or 3 is the go then Blakes position in the team maybe at risk.

As usual selections will be of real interest next round

Go Saints!!!!!!